[GUIDE] How to build an unsupported rom using sources from other roms

Search This thread

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
Hello all and welcome to my first how-to guide

I began the process of learning about ROM about 4 months ago (so excuse this post if there are any inaccuracies and please feel free to correct me in the comments - I will absolutely update this post to ensure it has the best information)

Whilst I was trying to learn, I noticed there was a lack of information regarding how the actual build process works. Many roms will provide instructions allowing you to build your own unofficial version for one of their official devices, but very rarely do they inform you as to how you may do this for a device not officially supported.

This is what I shall try and explain here.

Building for a newer version of android is another challenge, so this guide will focus on building an unsupported rom from device sources that support the same version of android (e.g building Lineage oreo from AOSCP oreo sources etc)

Requirements
  • A relatively fast PC with a least 4 cores (less may work but it will take a long time)
  • At least 8GB ram
  • A swap-file set up in the event that your ram is fully filled
  • A significant amount of storage (each build can take 150-200GB)

Set up your PC for building
Firstly, allocate Jack enough memory to complete the build process by running
Code:
export ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx4G"
And adding that line to your ~/.bashrc file

Also (optional) enable ccache by running
Code:
export USE_CCACHE=1
and adding that to your ~/.bashrc

If you choose to use ccache, also allocate a set amount of memory to use with
Code:
ccache -M $G
Where $ is a value of your choice between 50 and 100

First things first, we need to download the main source code for the target rom

Firstly you need to sync the sources from the manifest of your chosen rom. This will normally be called android, or manifest (or something similar) and will contain some xml files layed out like the example local manifest below

Find this repo and copy the link. Then move to the location you wish the entire android code to be stored, and then perform the following command
Code:
repo init -u <url of manifest repo>.git -b <branch you want to build>
e.g. for lineage 15.1 it would be
Code:
repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b lineage-15.1

Finally, run "repo sync" to download the source code. It is very large (approximately 30GB) so it will take a while. Should you need to cancel this, a simple CTRL+C will stop it, and it will continue from where it stopped next time you run repo sync

Now we need to understand which components we need to build a custom rom.

We need (anything inside the <> needs to be replaced with relevant information for your device)
  1. A device tree. This contains all the information needed to configure the rom build to your device's needs. Often this comes as more than one repo (one for your exact device and one for the general model - e.g. for my LG G4 H815, we have the h815 repo and the g4-common repo). The format for these repos is generally android_device_<vendor>_<device model>
  2. A kernel. This contains all the drivers and more needed for your device to be able to run Android. Often these are named using your device's chipset name and follow the format android_kernel_<vendor>_<chipset>, although occasionally they can use your model name instead of the chipset.
  3. Proprietary blobs. These are the closed source blobs that come bundled in your OEM software and contain the non-OSS (open source software) drivers for your device. They normally come in a repo labeled proprietary_vendor_<vendor> which normally contains blobs for all the devices released by that vendor (that are supported).
  4. Any other repos specified by the dependencies file (more on that later)
All of the above repos go into the path specified in the name - for example, android_device_<vendor>_<device model> will go into the device/<vendor>/<device model> directory.

To sync these, you should create a local manifest in the <android source>/.repo/local_manifests/ folder. Name it anything you like (make sure it's an xml file) and fill it out like so
Code:
<manifest>
  <remote  name="<your chosen name for this url>"
           fetch="<url to your git organisation>"
           revision="<branch if different to the one used in repo init (otherwise, miss out revision)>"

<project name="<name of repo inside git org>" path="<destination of the repo>" remote="<remote name chosen earlier>" revision="<revision if different to one specified above>" />
</manifest>

After adding this manifest, re-run repo sync to pull the extra repos

Understanding the device tree.

Inside the device tree (model specific one if there are more than one) there will be a file with a naming scheme along the lines of <rom brand>.mk (e.g. lineage.mk). This is the starting file for your device and is detected when you begin a build for your device. (Pie roms are currently using AndroidProducts.mk as a placeholder containing a link to this file). It contains links to the common configuration of your device (phone, tablet etc) at the top, and also specifies the name of the product (normally <rom>_<device model>) which is part of the command used to build the device.

There will also be some build prop overrides - these contain information like the device name and the build fingerprint (used to verify to google what device you are - lots of devices leave this as the last stock fingerprint to pass google CTS)

In most device trees, there will also be a <rom>.dependencies file. This contains all the additional repos needed to build for your particular device. This file is parsed automatically if you use the official methods and use the breakfast command. If you do it manually, they must be added to a local manifest.

The <device model>.mk file is what defines what open source packages need to be built in the build. Devices either include everything in this file or they can link to a product folder in which every .mk file is included.

BoardConfig(Common).mk includes configuration options for the device, and often links to config files to inform the builder of certain flags that need to be applied for the build. Similarly to the <device model>.mk, this is often linked to a board folder containing configurations

The kernel

The kernel is a massive topic and one that I cannot explain in depth here. However, for rom building it is useful to know that the defconfigs used to build a kernel are located in kernel/<chipset/device model>/arch/<arm or arm64 depending on device>/configs and the one used is normally in the format <rom>_<device model>_defconfig (e.g my lineage one is lineageos_h815_defconfig). Should you wish to change the name, simply change the name and alter the defconfig name in the BoardConfig.mk for your particular device.

So...to the main part - how do you build a rom.

Essentially there are a few main commands that are spoken about
  • "source build/envsetup.sh". This runs the builder script and loads all the custom commands.
  • "breakfast". This simply pulls the device specific code from the official repos. You do not need this if you are building unofficially
  • "brunch". This effectively performs breakfast, but assuming everything is synced correctly, it will finish without an issue. Then it will go on to begin the build. Normally brunch is run as brunch <rom name>_<device model>-userdebug (or eng if you are developing). User is used for OEM releases but most roms use userdebug as it is slightly more relaxed on conditions
To build a rom from unsupported sources requires a bit of thought. Firstly, ensure you have all the dependencies synced (hopefully from the target rom) as well as the device sources.

Then you need to go into the device tree and modify
  1. The <rom>.mk file to now be renamed to your new rom.
  2. You need to enter that file and modify any stuff relating to your old ROM look for your new rom instead (device type configurations are normally the main one here).
  3. You need to remove any stuff inside your device tree relating to features not in your new rom.
Then run "source build/envsetup.sh"
"brunch <rom>_<device model>-userdebug"

This will hopefully begin the build and assuming everything is setup correctly, should continue through to finish building the rom of your choice

If you have any questions/issues with this process, I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability

Also, big thanks to the LineageOS guide for giving me a basis upon which to base this guide on

nadeem_naddy

Nov 15, 2016
Jaitaran
PRODUCT_COMPATIBILITY_MATRIX_LEVEL_OVERRIDE directly
Specify Framework Compatibility Matrix Version in device manifest by adding a target-level attribute to the root element <manifest>. If PRODUCT_COMPATIBILITY_MATRIX_LEVEL_OVERRIDE is 26 or 27, you can add "target-level"="1" to your device manifest instead.

how to implement this?

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
PRODUCT_COMPATIBILITY_MATRIX_LEVEL_OVERRIDE directly
Specify Framework Compatibility Matrix Version in device manifest by adding a target-level attribute to the root element <manifest>. If PRODUCT_COMPATIBILITY_MATRIX_LEVEL_OVERRIDE is 26 or 27, you can add "target-level"="1" to your device manifest instead.

how to implement this?

Sorry for the late reply :D

What Android version are you building (this determines the api level). Also, what rom and device (links are helpful as I can see what it going on)

I would imagine you need something like https://github.com/LineageOS/androi...mmit/c24f0fff1fb1fc46d638e91777281ec7efc3e239

nadeem_naddy

Nov 15, 2016
Jaitaran
Sorry for the late reply :D

What Android version are you building (this determines the api level). Also, what rom and device (links are helpful as I can see what it going on)

I would imagine you need something like https://github.com/LineageOS/androi...mmit/c24f0fff1fb1fc46d638e91777281ec7efc3e239

i did not get the way to override or more precisely i dont know where to put the code to over ride this flag so i simply commented this in BoardConfig.mk itself. as it says its deprecated.

now i encounter this -
66% 2/3] glob frameworks/base/core/java/**/*.java
ninja: error: unknown target 'nitrogen_X00TD'
01:34:03 ninja failed with: exit status 1

it would be great help if you let me know from where does frameworks pick the device info in device tree. where do we need to set path.. i am building nitrogen pie for my device X00TD. thanks

Last edited:

nadeem_naddy

Nov 15, 2016
Jaitaran
the latest issue am facing is -

ninja: error: '/home/matin1117/nitrogen/out/target/common/obj/java_libraries/qcrilhook_intermediates/classes.jar', needed by '/home/matin1117/nitrogen/out/target/common/obj/packaging/boot-jars-package-check_intermediates/stamp', missing and no known rule to make it.

please suggest a fix.

thanks,
Nadeem

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
the latest issue am facing is -

ninja: error: '/home/matin1117/nitrogen/out/target/common/obj/java_libraries/qcrilhook_intermediates/classes.jar', needed by '/home/matin1117/nitrogen/out/target/common/obj/packaging/boot-jars-package-check_intermediates/stamp', missing and no known rule to make it.

please suggest a fix.

thanks,
Nadeem
Is Pie ready for your device. For most ROMs it requires a lot of cherry-picking etc before it will build

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
yes the device have many pie roms but i want to build nitrogen. i
can see niteogen os pie built for many other phones using sd636.
Pie is an oddball case at the moment. Many ROMs work if you cherry-picking fixes off Gerrit (I built Pie Lineage for my G4 but it required about 20 cherry-picks off the lineage Gerrit before it built)

In your case, it looks like you are possibly missing a ril-caf repo (look in the nos.xml and you will see only the non-caf repo is being synced). You can add the caf one but it's possible it isn't ready yet

nadeem_naddy

Nov 15, 2016
Jaitaran
thanks a lot, i can see one ril related entry in nos.xml. let me do some research on it.

thanks a lot for all your help buddy.

Last edited:

vignesh95

Oct 31, 2014
iam facing this error ? can u help please..... ?
see attachment !
@ThePiGuy

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,384

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017

Ok. Sorry for the late reply.

You need to open the AndroidProducts.mk file and rename the lineage_oneplus2.mk line to aosp_oneplus2.mk.

You also need to change the lineage_oneplus2.mk file so it is called aosp_oneplus2.mk, and inside it you need to change any occurrences to aosp (basically you are rebranding the device tree to use the aosp versions rather than the lineage branded ones)

Reactions: masemoel

vignesh95

Oct 31, 2014

You need to open the AndroidProducts.mk file and rename the lineage_oneplus2.mk line to aosp_oneplus2.mk.

You also need to change the lineage_oneplus2.mk file so it is called aosp_oneplus2.mk, and inside it you need to change any occurrences to aosp (basically you are rebranding the device tree to use the aosp versions rather than the lineage branded ones)
thanks! @ThePiGuy

now i am getting this error

[944/944] including vendor/qcom/opensource/dataservices/Android.mk ...
device/oppo/common/configpanel/Android.mk: error: ConfigPanel (APPS android-arm64) missing org.lineageos.platform.internal (JAVA_LIBRARIES android-arm64)
You can set ALLOW_MISSING_DEPENDENCIES=true in your environment if this is intentional, but that may defer real problems until later in the build.
build/make/core/main.mk:837: error: exiting from previous errors.
20:05:06 ckati failed with: exit status 1

#### failed to build some targets (03:05 (mm:ss)) ####

Please help !

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
thanks! @ThePiGuy

now i am getting this error

[944/944] including vendor/qcom/opensource/dataservices/Android.mk ...
device/oppo/common/configpanel/Android.mk: error: ConfigPanel (APPS android-arm64) missing org.lineageos.platform.internal (JAVA_LIBRARIES android-arm64)
You can set ALLOW_MISSING_DEPENDENCIES=true in your environment if this is intentional, but that may defer real problems until later in the build.
build/make/core/main.mk:837: error: exiting from previous errors.
20:05:06 ckati failed with: exit status 1

#### failed to build some targets (03:05 (mm:ss)) ####

Please help !
Sorry, I don't think I can help with that

Make sure your build environment is set up correctly (wiki.lineageos.org/devices/oneplus2/build will help with that) and also ensure you are using Pie device sources (from what I have gathered you are trying to build Pie, but if you are using device trees and kernel from Oreo or anything else then it will require much more than this guide details)

widi aprianto

Feb 14, 2016
Banjarnegara
Hi bro, i want to build lineage OS for unsupported device(Xiaomi Vince), please give me the step

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

iam get error like this

including vendor/lineage/vendorsetup.sh
build/make/core/envsetup.mk:264: error: TARGET_ARCH not defined by board config: device/xiaomi/vince/BoardConfig.mk.
15:41:16 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1
Device vince not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository from LineageOS Github (http://github.com/LineageOS).
Repository for vince not found in the LineageOS Github repository list. If this is in error, you may need to manually add it to your local_manifests/roomservice.xml.
build/make/core/envsetup.mk:264: error: TARGET_ARCH not defined by board config: device/xiaomi/vince/BoardConfig.mk.
15:41:18 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1
15:41:19 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1

** Don't have a product spec for: 'aosp_vince'
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

No such item in brunch menu. Try 'breakfast'

itexpert.120

Mar 22, 2018
itexpert120.vercel.app
Help me

Hey
I have a common device source, which has linked my device to 3 more configuration files. I tried to change lineage to other rom in every possible location I can find but on building this error comes into action.
The error is same for every AOSP based rom

jmpfbmx@jmpfbmx:~/AEX$ mka aex -j4
vendor/aosp/config/bootanimation.mk:32: warning: Target bootanimation res is undefined, using generic bootanimation
============================================

▄▄▄ ▓█████ ▒██ ██▒
▒████▄ ▓█ ▀ ▒▒ █ █ ▒░
▒██ ▀█▄ ▒███ ░░ █ ░
░██▄▄▄▄██ ▒▓█ ▄ ░ █ █ ▒
▓█ ▓██▒░▒████▒▒██▒ ▒██▒
▒▒ ▓▒█░░░ ▒░ ░▒▒ ░ ░▓ ░
▒ ▒▒ ░ ░ ░ ░░░ ░▒ ░
░ ▒ ░ ░ ░
░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░

AospExtended-v6.3 9
PLATFORM_VERSION_CODENAME=REL
PLATFORM_VERSION=9
EXTENDED_MOD_VERSION=AospExtended-v6.3-20190311-0935-UNOFFICIAL
TARGET_PRODUCT=aosp_fortuna3g
TARGET_BUILD_VARIANT=userdebug
TARGET_BUILD_TYPE=release
TARGET_ARCH=arm
TARGET_ARCH_VARIANT=armv8-a
TARGET_CPU_VARIANT=cortex-a53
HOST_ARCH=x86_64
HOST_2ND_ARCH=x86
HOST_OS=linux
HOST_OS_EXTRA=Linux-4.15.0-20-generic-x86_64-Linux-Mint-19
HOST_CROSS_OS=windows
HOST_CROSS_ARCH=x86
HOST_CROSS_2ND_ARCH=x86_64
HOST_BUILD_TYPE=release
BUILD_ID=PQ2A.190205.001
OUT_DIR=/home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out
PRODUCT_SOONG_NAMESPACES= hardware/qcom/audio-caf/msm8916 hardware/qcom/display-caf/msm8916 hardware/qcom/media-caf/msm8916
[1/1] /home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out/soong/.minibootstrap/minibp /home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out/soong/.bootstrap/build.ninja
[55/56] glob prebuilts/ndk/stl.bp
[80/80] /home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out/soong/.bootstrap/bin/soong_build /home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out/soong/build.ninja
/home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out/build-aosp_fortuna3g-cleanspec.ninja is missing, regenerating...
vendor/aosp/config/bootanimation.mk:32: warning: Target bootanimation res is undefined, using generic bootanimation
/home/jmpfbmx/AEX/out/build-aosp_fortuna3g.ninja is missing, regenerating...
[25/1110] including development/build/Android.mk ...
development/build/build_android_stubs.mk:43: warning: android_stubs_current
development/build/build_android_stubs.mk:43: warning: metalava_android_stubs_current metalava_android_stubs_current
development/build/build_android_stubs.mk:43: warning: android_system_stubs_current
development/build/build_android_stubs.mk:43: warning: android_test_stubs_current
development/build/build_android_stubs.mk:43: warning: metalava_android_system_stubs_current metalava_android_system_stubs_current
development/build/build_android_stubs.mk:43: warning: metalava_android_test_stubs_current metalava_android_test_stubs_current
[271/1110] including frameworks/av/camera/Android.mk ...
frameworks/av/camera/cameraserver/Android.mk:18: warning: Target has integrated cameraserver into mediaserver. This is weakening security measures introduced in 7.0
[607/1110] including system/sepolicy/Android.mk ...
system/sepolicy/Android.mk:88: warning: Be careful when using the SELINUX_IGNORE_NEVERALLOWS flag. It does not work in user builds and using it will not stop you from failing CTS.
[1110/1110] including vendor/samsung/serranovexx-common/Android.mk ...
bootable/recovery/Android.mk: error: recovery (EXECUTABLES android-arm) missing libhealthd.lineage (STATIC_LIBRARIES android-arm)
device/samsung/qcom-common/doze/Android.mk: error: SamsungDoze (APPS android-arm) missing org.lineageos.platform.internal (JAVA_LIBRARIES android-arm)
hardware/interfaces/health/1.0/default/Android.mk: error: android.hardware.health@1.0-impl (SHARED_LIBRARIES android-arm) missing libhealthd.lineage (STATIC_LIBRARIES android-arm)
hardware/samsung/AdvancedDisplay/Android.mk: error: AdvancedDisplay (APPS android-arm) missing org.lineageos.platform.internal (JAVA_LIBRARIES android-arm)
system/core/healthd/Android.mk: error: charger (EXECUTABLES android-arm) missing libhealthd.lineage (STATIC_LIBRARIES android-arm)
build/make/core/main.mk:850: error: exiting from previous errors.
10:40:35 ckati failed with: exit status 1
build/make/core/main.mk:21: recipe for target 'run_soong_ui' failed
make: *** [run_soong_ui] Error 1

#### failed to build some targets (05:24 (mm:ss)) ####

ThePiGuy

Nov 5, 2017
Hey
I have a common device source, which has linked my device to 3 more configuration files. I tried to change lineage to other rom in every possible location I can find but on building this error comes into action.

Ok so what it looks like - did you sync only the device trees and any common ones and then use the "brunch" or "breakfast" command to download the rest of the repos. If so, then it's still pulled the repos from lineage (in all the dependency files, you can see where they come from)

If you did, try finding the AEX equivalent repo and replacing that in the .dependency file that it is referred to in.

If this is not what you did, please detail what you did to get your environment

Reactions: PaulPizz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all and welcome to my first how-to guide

I began the process of learning about ROM about 4 months ago (so excuse this post if there are any inaccuracies and please feel free to correct me in the comments - I will absolutely update this post to ensure it has the best information)

Whilst I was trying to learn, I noticed there was a lack of information regarding how the actual build process works. Many roms will provide instructions allowing you to build your own unofficial version for one of their official devices, but very rarely do they inform you as to how you may do this for a device not officially supported.

This is what I shall try and explain here.

Building for a newer version of android is another challenge, so this guide will focus on building an unsupported rom from device sources that support the same version of android (e.g building Lineage oreo from AOSCP oreo sources etc)

Requirements
    • A relatively fast PC with a least 4 cores (less may work but it will take a long time)
    • At least 8GB ram
    • A swap-file set up in the event that your ram is fully filled
    • A significant amount of storage (each build can take 150-200GB)

Set up your PC for building
    Firstly, allocate Jack enough memory to complete the build process by running
    Code:
    export ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx4G"
    And adding that line to your ~/.bashrc file

Also (optional) enable ccache by running
    Code:
    export USE_CCACHE=1
    and adding that to your ~/.bashrc

If you choose to use ccache, also allocate a set amount of memory to use with
    Code:
    ccache -M $G
    Where $ is a value of your choice between 50 and 100

First things first, we need to download the main source code for the target rom

Firstly you need to sync the sources from the manifest of your chosen rom. This will normally be called android, or manifest (or something similar) and will contain some xml files layed out like the example local manifest below

Find this repo and copy the link. Then move to the location you wish the entire android code to be stored, and then perform the following command
    Code:
    repo init -u <url of manifest repo>.git -b <branch you want to build>
    e.g. for lineage 15.1 it would be
    Code:
    repo init -u https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git -b lineage-15.1

Finally, run "repo sync" to download the source code. It is very large (approximately 30GB) so it will take a while. Should you need to cancel this, a simple CTRL+C will stop it, and it will continue from where it stopped next time you run repo sync

Now we need to understand which components we need to build a custom rom.

We need (anything inside the <> needs to be replaced with relevant information for your device)
    1. A device tree. This contains all the information needed to configure the rom build to your device's needs. Often this comes as more than one repo (one for your exact device and one for the general model - e.g. for my LG G4 H815, we have the h815 repo and the g4-common repo). The format for these repos is generally android_device_<vendor>_<device model>
    2. A kernel. This contains all the drivers and more needed for your device to be able to run Android. Often these are named using your device's chipset name and follow the format android_kernel_<vendor>_<chipset>, although occasionally they can use your model name instead of the chipset.
    3. Proprietary blobs. These are the closed source blobs that come bundled in your OEM software and contain the non-OSS (open source software) drivers for your device. They normally come in a repo labeled proprietary_vendor_<vendor> which normally contains blobs for all the devices released by that vendor (that are supported).
    4. Any other repos specified by the dependencies file (more on that later)
    All of the above repos go into the path specified in the name - for example, android_device_<vendor>_<device model> will go into the device/<vendor>/<device model> directory.

To sync these, you should create a local manifest in the <android source>/.repo/local_manifests/ folder. Name it anything you like (make sure it's an xml file) and fill it out like so
    Code:
    <manifest>
      <remote  name="<your chosen name for this url>"
               fetch="<url to your git organisation>"
               revision="<branch if different to the one used in repo init (otherwise, miss out revision)>"

<project name="<name of repo inside git org>" path="<destination of the repo>" remote="<remote name chosen earlier>" revision="<revision if different to one specified above>" />
    </manifest>

After adding this manifest, re-run repo sync to pull the extra repos

Understanding the device tree.

Inside the device tree (model specific one if there are more than one) there will be a file with a naming scheme along the lines of <rom brand>.mk (e.g. lineage.mk). This is the starting file for your device and is detected when you begin a build for your device. (Pie roms are currently using AndroidProducts.mk as a placeholder containing a link to this file). It contains links to the common configuration of your device (phone, tablet etc) at the top, and also specifies the name of the product (normally <rom>_<device model>) which is part of the command used to build the device.

There will also be some build prop overrides - these contain information like the device name and the build fingerprint (used to verify to google what device you are - lots of devices leave this as the last stock fingerprint to pass google CTS)

In most device trees, there will also be a <rom>.dependencies file. This contains all the additional repos needed to build for your particular device. This file is parsed automatically if you use the official methods and use the breakfast command. If you do it manually, they must be added to a local manifest.

The <device model>.mk file is what defines what open source packages need to be built in the build. Devices either include everything in this file or they can link to a product folder in which every .mk file is included.

BoardConfig(Common).mk includes configuration options for the device, and often links to config files to inform the builder of certain flags that need to be applied for the build. Similarly to the <device model>.mk, this is often linked to a board folder containing configurations

The kernel

The kernel is a massive topic and one that I cannot explain in depth here. However, for rom building it is useful to know that the defconfigs used to build a kernel are located in kernel/<chipset/device model>/arch/<arm or arm64 depending on device>/configs and the one used is normally in the format <rom>_<device model>_defconfig (e.g my lineage one is lineageos_h815_defconfig). Should you wish to change the name, simply change the name and alter the defconfig name in the BoardConfig.mk for your particular device.

So...to the main part - how do you build a rom.

Essentially there are a few main commands that are spoken about
    • "source build/envsetup.sh". This runs the builder script and loads all the custom commands.
    • "breakfast". This simply pulls the device specific code from the official repos. You do not need this if you are building unofficially
    • "brunch". This effectively performs breakfast, but assuming everything is synced correctly, it will finish without an issue. Then it will go on to begin the build. Normally brunch is run as brunch <rom name>_<device model>-userdebug (or eng if you are developing). User is used for OEM releases but most roms use userdebug as it is slightly more relaxed on conditions
    To build a rom from unsupported sources requires a bit of thought. Firstly, ensure you have all the dependencies synced (hopefully from the target rom) as well as the device sources.

Then you need to go into the device tree and modify
    1. The <rom>.mk file to now be renamed to your new rom.
    2. You need to enter that file and modify any stuff relating to your old ROM look for your new rom instead (device type configurations are normally the main one here).
    3. You need to remove any stuff inside your device tree relating to features not in your new rom.
    Then run "source build/envsetup.sh"
    "brunch <rom>_<device model>-userdebug"

This will hopefully begin the build and assuming everything is setup correctly, should continue through to finish building the rom of your choice

If you have any questions/issues with this process, I will be happy to answer to the best of my ability

Also, big thanks to the LineageOS guide for giving me a basis upon which to base this guide on
    Hello, I know it's been 1.5 years since you published this guide, but I'm currently starting to learn how to do it ... Can I ask you a couple of questions?

Of course :) feel free.

Btw, I'd recommend not quoting the whole OP as it fills up the thread a little bit ;)

Hey

Ok so what it looks like - did you sync only the device trees and any common ones and then use the "brunch" or "breakfast" command to download the rest of the repos. If so, then it's still pulled the repos from lineage (in all the dependency files, you can see where they come from)

If you did, try finding the AEX equivalent repo and replacing that in the .dependency file that it is referred to in.

If this is not what you did, please detail what you did to get your environment
    In fact I was very happy when I saw that you had created this guide, if I'm not mistaken you worked on the G4!

A premise, I'm Italian, so I'm not writing in my first language. hope be understanding :)

So in summary, if I have X_Y_Z, will I have to put it (in most cases) in the X / Y / Z folder? (I had suspicions seeing the files and the manifest)

So in code for Ubuntu I should:
    Code:
     cd ~ / X / Y / Z
    repo init -u [url]https://github.com/X/Y/Z[/url]
    repo sync

So if I would like to download from github android_device_lge_g4 I would have to do it this way (in my case I called the Android root folder, and the folder where I downloaded all the PE lineage code) [actually I didn't want to change, after downloading la lineage hahaah]:

Code:
     cd ~ / android / lineage / device / lge / g4-common
    repo init -u [url]https://github.com/Suicide-Squirrel/android_device_lge_g4-common/tree/lineage-17.0_kessaras[/url]
    repo sync

This should allow me to download the files directly to the appropriate folder. I should repeat this for everyone:
    1) android_device_lge_g4
    2) android_device_lge_g4-common
    3) Titan-Kernel-LG-G4

But, I should also download and put in the appropriate folders:
    1) LOS STUFF
    2) power HAL patch
    3) MISC (without the last 2, as the EP has the GApps included, and these are used to enter the alternative F-droid store, and a Backup function)
    4) REMOVALS (must be at TOP) (? I have no idea what it is and what it is for)

Yes I got the initial lineage 15.1 ROM working for the G4 (using kessaras's sources, and with help from both steadfasterX and kessaras)

So it looks like you are getting a little bit confused with regards to the repo tool.

Code:
    repo init -u
    is used to set the main android source code directory. This should be used once, and only once.
    For example, for PixelExperience:
    Code:
    repo init -u https://github.com/PixelExperience/manifest -b 10
    where -b ten is the branch of PE that you want to build.

Once inside, I'd recommend going to the local manifest as described in the main part of the guide, and using the manifest from suicide squirrel (as in this case I know that it works). I'd then alter any ROM specific ones (those that use remote="lineage") to (if possible) use PE equivalent ones from their github.

It looks like you are trying to build A10 so you want this as your basis: https://github.com/Suicide-Squirrel/local_manifests/blob/lineage-17.0/roomservice.xml

Beware though - A10 hasn't been released yet for a reason - it's still got some major bugs