Best earphones for htc one x

Search This thread

1earful

Apr 11, 2012
fyi, if you go on ANY audio forum and try to say bose or beats headphones are good, you will get laughed off the forum.

true. i've been a member of headfi for years and noobs do get beaten down on those choices. but the truth is that most of us do not have "golden ears." it's whatever floats your boat, just as choices in music are a matter of taste. i'm just grateful we've come to the day and age when folks use headphones so i don't have to worry about anyone else's musical choices or have them look cross-eyed at mine.

Reactions: abhipati

SoberGuy

Jan 2, 2008
Orange County, CA
On the Klipsch, a heads up here. The S4i is for.....iPhone/iPod. The S4a is the same product, but for Android. You have to remember Apple reversed their control crap, so controls on headphones designed for Apple products are useless on Android.

In my humble opinion, the S4a doesn't sound quite as nice with Beats. I'll reinstall poweramp tomorrow and give it a spin. Too much Absolut tonight to tell :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

darktranquility18

Oct 8, 2010
Bangalore, India
On the Klipsch, a heads up here. The S4i is for.....iPhone/iPod. The S4a is the same product, but for Android. You have to remember Apple reversed their control crap, so controls on headphones designed for Apple products are useless on Android.

In my humble opinion, the S4a doesn't sound quite as nice with Beats. I'll reinstall poweramp tomorrow and give it a spin. Too much Absolut tonight to tell :)

So much for the 'Soberguy' haha

Reactions: SoberGuy

pianoblack

Nov 7, 2009
Here's something off the beaten path for those feeling a little more experimental:

• Using a Bluetooth apt-X headphones/transceiver: bypass the headphone amp (if it's particularly noisy [ref. GSMArena review by supercurio**] and go straight to wireless transmission. The Bluetooth apt-X (as available on the HOX) is touted as having a near CD-quality transmit rate, but not all headphones support it. If you don't want to lock yourself in to a single set of headphones (although Sennheiser's MM series have won accolades from head-fi's editor), you can use a bluetooth headset (such as the Samsung HS3000) which allows you to plug in your own set of headphones.
    • Pros: - bypass headphone jack circuitry.
      - wireless in most scenarios
    • Cons: - more of a battery drain
      - not lossless
  • Switch up your music player app : besides Poweramp, there's Player Pro and JetAudio, which claim to have either purer playback or great EQ enhancements (potentially, BBE effects on JetAudio)
    • Pros: - cheap, if not free, way to improve playback
    • Cons: - may not make much of a difference and can be headphones-specific.

**Edit: Just found out that HOXL, AT&T HOX and HTC One S, all with Qualcomm's S4, uses Qualcomm's own audio chip set WCD9310, which has much better audio performance [1, 2]. So for these phones, you don't have to worry about noise or poor dynamic range.

Last edited:

SoberGuy

Jan 2, 2008
Orange County, CA
Pianoblack, I appreciate the suggestion. I'll have to look into that HS3000. I usually listen to music at work, and would appreciate the mobility that would offer. To date I haven't been too impressed with Bluetooth headsets, but something like that which allows me to.connect the buds/headset of my choose just might do trick.

How's the quality, both in build and sound? I understand it's Bluetooth, so I don't expect perfection. Thanks again.

darktranquility18

Oct 8, 2010
Bangalore, India
Pianoblack, I appreciate the suggestion. I'll have to look into that HS3000. I usually listen to music at work, and would appreciate the mobility that would offer. To date I haven't been too impressed with Bluetooth headsets, but something like that which allows me to.connect the buds/headset of my choose just might do trick.

How's the quality, both in build and sound? I understand it's Bluetooth, so I don't expect perfection. Thanks again.

To be honest, ur better off getting an adapter like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headset/dp/B003DQ1DCM
Then using your own headphones with it. Every bluetooth headset i heard tried have been pretty bad. One exception though:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MM-400-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B002NZZIFW/
Theyre almost audiophile quality and portable

---------- Post added at 11:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Oh didnt realise the HS3000 is the same idea. Yea thats what I was going for. Good stuff

pianoblack

Nov 7, 2009

Don't have it in my hands yet! I'll post in here when I do OP will surely deliver with the random assortment of headphones I have (Senn earbuds MX580, light Senn headphones HD 228, in-ears Hifiman RE 262 and large open headphones Beyerdynamics DT-880 (more for home listening without the tether, but this is a somewhat impractical scenario)).

Sound-wise, it's supposed to be "almost as good as wired", with the codec capable of 370kbps (ie. sufficient for most mp3s, but not lossless formats). Connection is generally smooth, after initial connection drop-outs.

Build-wise, Amazon reviewers find it sturdy enough in most environments, but the call button is easily activated by accident. A workaround is to only connect with 'Audio' mode, if you don't think you'll need to use the microphone function.

Here are some other reviews I've found with more detail:
- Discussion on XDA (I like the tip that the bluetooth receiver can be used as a remote shutter.)
- Mobile-Review
- Impressions on Head-fi.org : [1, ]

... Every bluetooth headset i heard tried have been pretty bad. One exception though:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-MM-400-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B002NZZIFW/
Theyre almost audiophile quality and portable

Definitely would be interested in testing this setup. Considering the investment in existing in-ears/headphones others may have, I'm hoping the bluetooth receiver is a satisfactory substitute.

SoberGuy

Jan 2, 2008
Orange County, CA
I got them and they work perfect with my One X!!!

See the Android logo on the box in the product picture?

Its made for Android! Rejoice!
Good call, I didn't even roll over to see the box. That's great!

Finally got a chance to play around with the Klipsch S4a and various players, Beats on and off. For the stock player, I do prefer Beats on. I'm not crazy about the sound, but it is better with Beats on.

Using Player Pro and the EQ there, I'm much happier with Beats OFF. By far. I've got a good variety of music to listen to, everything from classical (piano, courtesy of Tchaikovsky, cello via Bach, etc) to hip-hop and rap (Eminem, Tupac, Biggie, Warren G and Nate Dogg, Timbaland, etc) to alternative/rock (Tool, RATM, Alice in Chains, etc). I do tweak the EQ according to what I'm listening to, usually with a custom profile and not a standard preset.

I definitely prefer Player Pro with Beats off. The Klipsch sound so much better that way. Kind of average with Beats, and full of life without.

Quick edit: Neptunes FTW. Yeah, Player Pro without Beats and these things come to life with the Neptunes.

chivamex10

Mar 6, 2012
Lol I just did a quick comparison with my old apple earbuds and the klipsch's. Apple earbuds with the beats software on vs the klipsch's with the software off sounded just the same.

Everyone's different. For me I prefer actual headphones. Earbuds can only do do much. Especially when it comes to bass. I wouldn't spend over $50 for earbuds.

I use the Nokia Purity HD by monster. They don't exaggerate when it comes to bass like the beats by dre do. They also have good mids and hi's. Noise cancellation works well, to the point where it could become dangerous if you aren't aware of your surroundings lol.

Yeah monster is mainstream which means they are way overpriced/overrated but to say they are "garbage" is taking it too far. I'm sure theres plenty of other brands out there that are much better. I'm an audiophile myself when it comes to car audio and I cringe when people say they have Sony xplode/kicker etc. I get it. When it comes to headphones and earbuds though I really can't see myself spending more than $100 so I'm very happy with my Nokia purity's. I spend way more time in my car so I invest a lot more there...

vioalas

Apr 3, 2012
Lakeland, Fl
Lol I just did a quick comparison with my old apple earbuds and the klipsch's. Apple earbuds with the beats software on vs the klipsch's with the software off sounded just the same.

Everyone's different. For me I prefer actual headphones. Earbuds can only do do much. Especially when it comes to bass. I wouldn't spend over $50 for earbuds.

Earbuds can do a lot more than what people think. A good iem can pull its weight and then some, but when you reach a certain price point it doesn't really matter unless you have a better source for the music.

My big ole' head has issues with headphones. ;)

NOFSBIGE

Jul 23, 2010
Mass
I am a big fan of the URBeats headphones that at&t has... $99 with controls and mic sounds amazing

guizzy

Feb 22, 2011
My first suggestion is to avoid Beats like the plague. Got the Wireless ones, which are essentially Beats Solo with added bluetooth. Feature and design wise, they're actually great. The bluetooth works very well, they look good, they come with a good set of accessories. They do fail, however, where it counts the most: the sound. The bass on those manages to be both too powerful, yet muddy and undefined. It sounds like you're listening to music coming from a car with oversized subwoofer, through a concrete wall. I get tired listening to them in no time.

Personally, I'm partial to Sennheiser. My daily drivers are MX470's. They're a great bang for your buck, though no mic. The sound is perfectly acceptable for earbuds, they're easy to listen to and they don't attract nearly as much attention as (expensive and expensive-looking) cans do.

Or look into IEMs, though there's not much I can tell you about those. I'm unable to use them: I got weird ears and all IEMs are too uncomfortable for me.

Last edited:

abhipati

Jun 10, 2012
Littleton MA
Thanks everyone. Currently I am in India, brought these philips earphones with Mic for 15$(800 rs) , so that I can use them while I am here. The sound and clarity is very good for this price.

I know the color sucks , they had only white and yellow

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340968922242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340968922242.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 232

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Y would anyone wanna buy headphones that sound better without beats? Thats just dumb man!! Get urself some beats buds. 60.00 bucks on ebay. I love mine!

Sent from my HTC One X using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Uh, because both the Beats eq curve and Beats headphones suck. It's a marketing ploy. Get yourself some Shures, Grados, AKGs, Audio Technicas, or Beyerdynamics and you'll hear what music is supposed to sound like.
    Uh, I'm a DJ and I know what good headphones sound like. I'm using a pair of manufacturer refurbished Diddy Beats that I bought thru Monster for $79.99 and they sound effing Amazing. All the other brands Metal mentioned are hella good too. Just my 2 cents, I figured with Beats Audio software why not try out the headphones of the same brand. Again just my humble opinion. To each his own.

sent from my Acer A500
    This is a headphone question, doesnt really have anything to do with your phone.

'Klipsch image s4' are probably the highest recommended headphones i've seen.
    Basically every audiophile forum recommends them as a best bang for your buck option.

http://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001V9LPT4

I also recommend disabling beats audio while using them.

You should also try to use flac audio formats or at worst 320kbps mp3's.
    flac is compressed but lossless audio, like a digital version of a cd.
    if you want to play with flac, you are most likely going to need to buy power amp, for $5.
    Here's something off the beaten path for those feeling a little more experimental:

• Using a Bluetooth apt-X headphones/transceiver: bypass the headphone amp (if it's particularly noisy [ref. GSMArena review by supercurio**] and go straight to wireless transmission. The Bluetooth apt-X (as available on the HOX) is touted as having a near CD-quality transmit rate, but not all headphones support it. If you don't want to lock yourself in to a single set of headphones (although Sennheiser's MM series have won accolades from head-fi's editor), you can use a bluetooth headset (such as the Samsung HS3000) which allows you to plug in your own set of headphones.
      • Pros: - bypass headphone jack circuitry.
        - wireless in most scenarios
      • Cons: - more of a battery drain
        - not lossless
    • Switch up your music player app : besides Poweramp, there's Player Pro and JetAudio, which claim to have either purer playback or great EQ enhancements (potentially, BBE effects on JetAudio)
      • Pros: - cheap, if not free, way to improve playback
      • Cons: - may not make much of a difference and can be headphones-specific.

**Edit: Just found out that HOXL, AT&T HOX and HTC One S, all with Qualcomm's S4, uses Qualcomm's own audio chip set WCD9310, which has much better audio performance [1, 2]. So for these phones, you don't have to worry about noise or poor dynamic range.
    This is a headphone question, doesnt really have anything to do with your phone.

'Klipsch image s4' are probably the highest recommended headphones i've seen.
    Basically every audiophile forum recommends them as a best bang for your buck option.

These Klipsch are what I use and they are amazing, can't recommend them enough.

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA