[OFFICIAL] Questions and answers thread!

Search This thread

gowthamachandran

Mar 7, 2012
Coimbatore
You are likely missing the video codec for the file you are trying to play.

Try playing the video in desktop-mode with VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) and see if that works.
If it plays, you can use VLC to see what video codec is used by going into Tools > Media Information.

all the videos are playing with vlc.but non of them are playing with the metro video app. I cannot install catalyst 12.10 on my laptop since forcing it to install causes bluescreen death. so i have to use this(catalyst 12.8) gpu driver only, win 7 driver given by sony also does the same when installed using device manager.

Last edited:

dvdcatalyst

Feb 28, 2011
www.tools4movies.com
all the videos are playing with vlc.but non of them are playing with the metro video app. I cannot install catalyst 12.10 on my laptop since forcing it to install causes bluescreen death. so i have to use this(catalyst 12.8) gpu driver only, win 7 driver given by sony also does the same when installed using device manager.

It's a video codec issue, and does not something with your video card driver.

As I mentioned before, look in the tools > media info in VLC when one of the videos is playing, and it will show you what video codec is used to play the video.

If you want to play the videos in something other than VLC, you will need to install the video codec that the file needs.

Visit www.google.com

and do a search for the video codec.

Or, since your videos play in it properly, just use VLC to play your videos.

gowthamachandran

Mar 7, 2012
Coimbatore
It's a video codec issue, and does not something with your video card driver.

As I mentioned before, look in the tools > media info in VLC when one of the videos is playing, and it will show you what video codec is used to play the video.

If you want to play the videos in something other than VLC, you will need to install the video codec that the file needs.

Visit www.google.com

and do a search for the video codec.

Or, since your videos play in it properly, just use VLC to play your videos.

i think the problem is not with the codecs. it is not playing any videos. i played a video from my desktop after a fresh install of windows 8 with the same video app, it played without installing any codecs. But in my laptop the same video is not playing in that official video app.

dvdcatalyst

Feb 28, 2011
www.tools4movies.com
i think the problem is not with the codecs. it is not playing any videos. i played a video from my desktop after a fresh install of windows 8 with the same video app, it played without installing any codecs. But in my laptop the same video is not playing in that official video app.

With a clean install on your desktop, are you referring to a factory restore?

With most "brand" computers, Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, Toshiba etc, the "factory restore" includes a nice collection of additional software that gets installed along with it, and some of those apps, such as Nero, Cyberlink etc install codecs as well.

You mentioned that the videos do play in VLC on your laptop.

VLC doesn't need/uses any codecs that are installed within Windows, but has it's own collection of them, so since that works, and it doesn't work in the stock Windows player, it still points to a codec issue.

SharpnShiny

May 14, 2012
Previous Versons/File History

Hi I have checked this thread and the F&Q and have not found what I'm looking for.

I would like to clarify how Win7's previous versions works in Win8, it's File History, correct? I read the build Win8 by Sinofsky but didn't notice/find that when you try to use this feature in Win8, it will not save on the C drive as Win7 does, correct? Win8 tells me File History will not work without an external drive. Am I missing anything?

This is one of the simple but brilliant features of Win7 that keeps me on that, but if I could make this work on Win8...all the better. I'm using a laptop and with desktop sales dropping and laptop sales still way ahead, I don't understand how it could be practical to leave an external drive connected to a laptop beside you? I will not be doing that and if there's no way around it, I delete my Win8 partition.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Aggravatingly enough, Previous Versions (Volume Shadow Copies for non-system files) has been removed in Win8. This is one of only a few places that I feel that Win8 is true downgrade from Win7. I have two hard drives, and it's willing to use the second for storing "File History" stuff (even though both are internal), but it's not the same.

gowthamachandran

Mar 7, 2012
Coimbatore
With a clean install on your desktop, are you referring to a factory restore?

With most "brand" computers, Dell, Gateway, Acer, HP, Toshiba etc, the "factory restore" includes a nice collection of additional software that gets installed along with it, and some of those apps, such as Nero, Cyberlink etc install codecs as well.

You mentioned that the videos do play in VLC on your laptop.

VLC doesn't need/uses any codecs that are installed within Windows, but has it's own collection of them, so since that works, and it doesn't work in the stock Windows player, it still points to a codec issue.

The video app plays the videos when i disable the display adapter and using the microsoft vga driver, but does not play the videos when using the display adapters..

manny18pr

Sep 12, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Hi guys! I have an issue. I accidently uninstalled the store app and the settings app too so when I click on change PC settings it doesn't show anything.. I will upload a screenshot showing whats wrong. Any ideas for how to fix this?

Last edited:

offspin2040

Aug 10, 2012
Bangalore
mrappbrain.com
Hi guys! I have an issue. I accidently uninstalled the store app and the settings app too so when I click on change PC settings it doesn't show anything.. I will upload a screenshot showing whats wrong. Any ideas for how to fix this?

Refresh your pc through the control panel.If you have a restore point to can restore to that.Else,Try to get a developer license through visual studio or the powershell.Then you can sideload the store and the settings apps.

Reactions: manny18pr

manny18pr

Sep 12, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Refresh your pc through the control panel.If you have a restore point to can restore to that.Else,Try to get a developer license through visual studio or the powershell.Then you can sideload the store and the settings apps.

Searching through some settings I found a restore. I lost some configurations but everything's back again. Thank you!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

jonthe838

Nov 14, 2010
Gothenburg
How do you make unformatted handwriting entries in onenote?
I don't want it formatted but every time i try to do it my tablet makes it to normal text.

gowthamachandran

Mar 7, 2012
Coimbatore
I use VPCEB46FG vaio laptop which has ati mobility radeon HD 5650. I upgraded my pc from windows 7 Home premium to Windows 8 pro with windows 8 upgrade assistant. WIndows by default installed ATI Mobility Radeon 5000 Series(Microsoft Corporation-WDDM v1.20) driver after installation, with that driver i could not play any videos with windows media player and modern ui video app. So i tried installing microsoft basic adapter driver from device manager and opened the video files, now it plays everything. Then i tried installing amd catalyst 12.8 drivers and the issue still remains. When i tried to install the drivers(WDDM 1.10) provided by sony for windows 7, I go Bluescreen Death but the next time i started the pc the windows 7 drivers were installed then i installed ccc using custom mode and played the video evething seems fine, but the graphic performance is too low with WDDM 1.10 drivers for playing games.
I am still using this 12.8 drivers with this video playback issue. Help me with this issue . I also tried sfc /scannow from commad prompt(admin) but there is no errors found! how to resolve this issue.

offspin2040

Aug 10, 2012
Bangalore
mrappbrain.com
I use VPCEB46FG vaio laptop which has ati mobility radeon HD 5650. I upgraded my pc from windows 7 Home premium to Windows 8 pro with windows 8 upgrade assistant. WIndows by default installed ATI Mobility Radeon 5000 Series(Microsoft Corporation-WDDM v1.20) driver after installation, with that driver i could not play any videos with windows media player and modern ui video app. So i tried installing microsoft basic adapter driver from device manager and opened the video files, now it plays everything. Then i tried installing amd catalyst 12.8 drivers and the issue still remains. When i tried to install the drivers(WDDM 1.10) provided by sony for windows 7, I go Bluescreen Death but the next time i started the pc the windows 7 drivers were installed then i installed ccc using custom mode and played the video evething seems fine, but the graphic performance is too low with WDDM 1.10 drivers for playing games.

I am still using this 12.8 drivers with this video playback issue. Help me with this issue . I also tried sfc /scannow from commad prompt(admin) but there is no errors found! how to resolve this issue.
I think the best thing to do would be to wait till to updated to properly support windows 8.plus a driver problwm is not re

Sent from my uber cool Lumia 510

WowXDArocks

Jan 15, 2013
Q: Is there a way to change Bluetooth settings so that Bluetooth speakers are detected as speakers instead of headphones?

Problem: By default a Bluetooth speaker is detected as a headphone & because it is detected as a headphone it will not play audio from multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time. (Surface Does detect all devices connected though)

Idea: Possibly change the registry on Bluetooth speaker from headphone to Front Speakers or Side speakers.

Research:-Old mappings for Windows 7... This example is for a Realtek Audio driver.

Mappings are saved in the following location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\DevType_0888_SS147b108 3 or ending in DevType_0885_SS18490890

"Pin00" = Rear Green-Coded "FR FL" jack
"Pin01" = Rear black-coded "RR RL" jack

"Pin02" = Center/Subwoofer
"Pin04" = Mic-In

"01 00 00 00" = Mic-in
"02 00 00 00" = headphones
"04 00 00 00" = Front speakers
"05 00 00 00" = Rear speakers
"06 00 00 00" = Center/subwoofer
"07 00 00 00" = Side speakers

Reactions: C-Lang

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Went ahead an stuck this thread. Now it's official :)
    [Q] Does an app need to be represented on the lock screen in order to have a live tile? Without adding apps to the "slots" on the lock screen the apps doesn't update. Is that really the case or what am I missing?

Didnt quite understand your question :confused:.did you mean lock screen or start screen? :confused:Cuz i dont have any apps on lock screen and they update regularly:confused:

Hit thanks if i helped you :)
    I put in disks into my disk drive on my laptop and nothing comes up so I go to files double click the disk drive and it says insert disk into disk drive and opens the disk drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Samsung galaxy s2
    Rom: Jedi knight 6
    kernel: Jedi kernel 2
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check whether the disk works on another pc running a previous version of windows..if the disk does not work then your disk is scratched or corrupted.if it works then check your disk drive if its reading other disk.if it isnt then the prob is with your disk drive or the way you inserted the disk.Try changing the lens....
    If it is reading other disks then that disk is either being blocked or is incompatible for some reason...

Sent From My Muffin

Q: Is there a way to change Bluetooth settings so that Bluetooth speakers are detected as speakers instead of headphones?

Problem: By default a Bluetooth speaker is detected as a headphone & because it is detected as a headphone it will not play audio from multiple Bluetooth devices at the same time. (Surface Does detect all devices connected though)

Idea: Possibly change the registry on Bluetooth speaker from headphone to Front Speakers or Side speakers.

Research:-Old mappings for Windows 7... This example is for a Realtek Audio driver.

Mappings are saved in the following location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000\Settings\DevType_0888_SS147b108 3 or ending in DevType_0885_SS18490890

"Pin00" = Rear Green-Coded "FR FL" jack
    "Pin01" = Rear black-coded "RR RL" jack

"Pin02" = Center/Subwoofer
    "Pin04" = Mic-In

"01 00 00 00" = Mic-in
    "02 00 00 00" = headphones
    "04 00 00 00" = Front speakers
    "05 00 00 00" = Rear speakers
    "06 00 00 00" = Center/subwoofer
    "07 00 00 00" = Side speakers