[SPRINT][CDMA]Galaxy Tab (SPH-P100) Mega Development Starter Thread (CWM, EF17 TAR)

Search This thread

rejanmanis

Feb 17, 2011
Jakarta
Help Please ....

Here what i do,

Before, im at 2.2 Froyo stock EA24

I flash SPH-P100.EF17.SECURE.REV07-FULL.tar thru odin with pit file and repartition check. Pass and reboot , i have my GB online.

Continue to download mode, and flash stock-ef17-kernel-root-cwm.tar , pass and automatically reboot to CWM.

And now im stuck at CWM.
when i click reboot system now, reboot and back to CWM.

i tried to backup thru CWM it says
Backing up boot image...
Backing up recovery image...
Backup up system...
Can't mount /system

I tried to instal zip , stock-ef17-rom-deodex-cwm-v1.zip

Installing and success, at the end it says "Please reboot system now" (or i forgo, asking me to reboot)

Reboot and back to CWM.

do i missed something?

what should i do?
I want this "Full Stock EF17 Rom: ClockworkMod Flashable, Deodexed, Zip Aligned, & Optimized"

thx before.

Rodderik

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
Here what i do,

Before, im at 2.2 Froyo stock EA24

I flash SPH-P100.EF17.SECURE.REV07-FULL.tar thru odin with pit file and repartition check. Pass and reboot , i have my GB online.

Continue to download mode, and flash stock-ef17-kernel-root-cwm.tar , pass and automatically reboot to CWM.

And now im stuck at CWM.
when i click reboot system now, reboot and back to CWM.

i tried to backup thru CWM it says
Backing up boot image...
Backing up recovery image...
Backup up system...
Can't mount /system

I tried to instal zip , stock-ef17-rom-deodex-cwm-v1.zip

Installing and success, at the end it says "Please reboot system now" (or i forgo, asking me to reboot)

Reboot and back to CWM.

do i missed something?

what should i do?
I want this "Full Stock EF17 Rom: ClockworkMod Flashable, Deodexed, Zip Aligned, & Optimized"

thx before.

for what you want to do grab the other tar (stock-ef17-root-cwm-odin-tar-pkg.zip) and flash that....then just reboot into cwm and flash the rom

i just had a problem flashing one of the tars so let me investigate...ill get you fixed up

Last edited:

rejanmanis

Feb 17, 2011
Jakarta
for what you want to do grab the other tar (stock-ef17-root-cwm-odin-tar-pkg.zip) and flash that....then just reboot into cwm and flash the rom

i just had a problem flashing one of the tars so let me investigate...ill get you fixed up

OMG , i must have missed this "stock-ef17-root-cwm-odin-tar-pkg.zip"

im sorry men, its because it was so much to read, its make myself dizzy.

okay then i'll wait.

Rodderik

Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
i might getting rid of the pre-rooted tar...i have to look into it some more

try starting over with the files you have

odin stock tar (dont have to repartition again)
odin kernel with cwm
flash rom

Rodderik

Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
ok i just did the whole process like you said and the tar is fine...i removed the prerooted tar because it uses the stock recovery to clear data after it flashes but in order for redirector to work it breaks this tar from working...i'd rather have redirector

odin stock tar (repartition if you haven't already)
odin kernel
flash rom

edit: i also did an advanced restore on my data and it's all good :)

Last edited:

rejanmanis

Feb 17, 2011
Jakarta
ok i just did the whole process like you said and the tar is fine...i removed the prerooted tar because it uses the stock recovery to clear data after it flashes but in order for redirector to work it breaks this tar from working...i'd rather have redirector

odin stock tar (repartition if you haven't already)
odin kernel
flash rom

edit: i also did an advanced restore on my data and it's all good :)

Are you sure mate?

this is what i did and stuck at CWM

I did this two times, IMO, i cant get along with CWM if i dont have root access, am i right?

so i think i need the prerooted TAR.

rejanmanis

Feb 17, 2011
Jakarta
i dont think u have a problem with your "prerooted Tar pkg"

I have it before u pulled out the link.

I flash prerooted tar with odin,
flash kernel with odin,
flash rfs to ext4 with CWM
flash the stock-ef17-rom-deodex-cwm-v1 with CWM.

Now i GB 2.3.4 EF17 deodex, zipalign & optimize
with kernel version 2.6.35.7 rodderik@devphone #1

cheers :cool:

Rodderik

Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
awesome...i pulled the prerooted tar because it didnt clear all the data like it should...i was trying to a save a step

glad u got it all working...enjoy the speedier tab :)

rejanmanis

Feb 17, 2011
Jakarta
awesome...i pulled the prerooted tar because it didnt clear all the data like it should...i was trying to a save a step

glad u got it all working...enjoy the speedier tab :)

alright dude, thx so much :cool:

i'll try to pull out the framework.apk and make a battery mod and a bit status bar mod, i think UOT will help with theming stuff ;)

rejanmanis

Feb 17, 2011
Jakarta
Can a stock GB be rooted by just flashing this kernel?

base on my experience, i doubt it. That's make me stuck at CWM.
AFAIK, we need rooted GB 2.3.4 to be able to use the CWM.

yes it can...just make note of the cwm restore bug if you haven't ever repartitioned (you have to odin the kernel if you restore for it to work)...more info in original post

But u still have to listen what the Boss said :cool:

Let us know what happen.

tpike

Rodderik is right. If you're not putting root in the kernel then everytime you flash a rom you have to worry if you're going to lose root. Since most people don't get as flash happy with kernels you keep the deeper part of your system rooted and static, but flash the stuff that's w one level closer to the user(the ROM). As you can see by the signature, this isn't Rodderiks first kernel. Either will work, this just makes the roms one small bit easier to develop.
base on my experience, i doubt it. That's make me stuck at CWM.
AFAIK, we need rooted GB 2.3.4 to be able to use the CWM.

But u still have to listen what the Boss said :cool:

Let us know what happen.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

x4gvnferdy

Dec 17, 2010
Bethlehem
I will vouch for Rodderrick I flashed his Kernel and Stock Rom Yesterday, CWM works flawlessly, ext4 is quite a bit of speed improvement, flows much nicer, I can't wait for a custom rom.

On another note, I tried using your kernel with a few other roms, it seems to only work with Stock rom.. Silly me tried using it with the Honeycomb rom to see if it may've allowed 3G, caused boot loops, and forced closes with oldmacnuts better than life, future echos. I wouldn't expect a kernel to be universal to all roms, but this kernel seems to do the trick for me, who stayed on stock rom since purchase of galaxy tab.

Thanks Rodderick,you're awesome, you've helped me with my tab more than you know!

Rodderik

Sep 8, 2010
devphone.org
I will vouch for Rodderrick I flashed his Kernel and Stock Rom Yesterday, CWM works flawlessly, ext4 is quite a bit of speed improvement, flows much nicer, I can't wait for a custom rom.

On another note, I tried using your kernel with a few other roms, it seems to only work with Stock rom.. Silly me tried using it with the Honeycomb rom to see if it may've allowed 3G, caused boot loops, and forced closes with oldmacnuts better than life, future echos. I wouldn't expect a kernel to be universal to all roms, but this kernel seems to do the trick for me, who stayed on stock rom since purchase of galaxy tab.

Thanks Rodderick,you're awesome, you've helped me with my tab more than you know!

i hope the kernel and pretty much all future kernels based off the basic one i've put together will remain compatible with any rom that comes out (especially those based off the stock rom i've put together in the OP). obviously the kernel isn't build for honeycomb or cyanogenmod (yet). i'll look at oldmacnut's rom and see if i can get it working with the kernel.

guido28

Feb 26, 2008
Miami
Samba Filesharing is saying it cannot find a way to execute shell commands on the device. Never happened on stock rom before. Installed busybox and terminal emulator...still no go. ???

jocala

Jul 4, 2010
Ocala
Good job!

I just finished my 2nd install of a rooted stock, followed by an ext4 conversion.

On first boot, CWM started. Ignoring this, I rebooted and found my user data & installed apps were intact, causing some problems. Just to be safe, I started again from scratch and when my first boot landed into CWM, I wiped data, cache & dalvic, then rebooted.

All appears to be well so far. Thanks for a stellar job!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The purpose of this thread is to breathe life into the development for the SPH-P100. I have observed a severe lack of development for this device as I am sure many others have. Hopefully the work and tools I have provided in this thread will bring some rom chefs and themers out of the wood work for this device.

Everything in this thread is for the Galaxy Tab SPH-P100. While everything has been tested and the best effort put forth, I am NOT responsible for what you do or what happens to your devices. Flash at your own risk! Lack of reading and following instructions is NOT my problem. Any support should be given in the thread and not PM. When posting a problem please be descriptive as possible as it will cut down on thread pollution. Thanks.

1. Stock Odin/Heimdall Files: Stock EF17 Tars - Recover from a brick or bad flash. Choose between fully stock or pre rooted with ClockworkMod flavors. No more 12,000 steps to get back to stock!
    2. Stock EF17 Kernel: Prerooted, ClockworkMod 4.0.1.5 Recovery, RFS & EXT4 Compatible - Included in the prerooted EF17 tar and the full stock EF17 rom. Mostly stock kernel with root, ClockworkMod, and dual file system support. Source provided for custom kernel developers.
    3. Full Stock EF17 Rom: ClockworkMod Flashable, Deodexed, Zip Aligned, & Optimized - No bloat removed. Perfect base for themers and rom chefs to use to get started on some killer themes and customized roms.
    4. RFS & EXT4 Conversion Tools: Use these tools if you want to convert from RFS to EXT4 or vice versa. Read the instructions carefully because these scripts do NOT back up your device!
    5. Addons: Addons and other files any one might need. (CIFS support, etc)

IRC Chat
    Feel free to visit the #gtab chat room for general chat, help, or developing questions. You can access from your web browser HERE or if you are familiar with irc:
    Server: irc.fossnet.info
    Channel: #gtab

All I ask of developers, chefs, and themers is that you always give credit when you use other people's work. Also users please make use of the thanks button and help each other out nicely in the threads.

Thanks to insanity213, tpike, jt1134, DRockstar, chris41g, and any other developers I may have borrowed from to make this happen. :D
    Stock Odin/Heimdall Files: Stock EF17 Tar

Odin: Odin3_v1.7_SPH-P100 is included in tar package.
    Heimdall: Homepage

The zip file below contains Odin3 v1.7, my .pit file, and full EF17 tar file including boot loaders and modem! There are no modifications or changes at all to the tar. Use this file to go back to a completely unrooted stock state. (Like you just did an OTA update)

Download stock-ef17-odin-tar-pkg.zip (Mirror) md5: b3f81ce371c3284882552cb22a38c29d

Generally you should not need the .pit file unless you need to repartition your device when you flash it. Unfortunately, ClockworkMod has a difficult time reading the factory flashed partitioning. This will cause issues when you restore a backup from ClockworkMod. I recommend to repartition at least ONCE to prevent this issue. See HERE for more information. I have included the pit in the above zip file.

How to Odin back to stock: (Assumes Windows driver is installed: Sprint_P100_Samsung_GALAXY_Tab_USB_Drivers.msi)
    1. Download the zip package from above.
    2. Put the Tab into download mode by powering it completely off and then turn it on while holding the volume down button until the yellow download mode screen appears.
    2. Extract the zip and open Odin. The first ID:COM box should turn yellow. If it does not turn yellow then check your driver installation.
    3. Uncheck EVERYTHING except "Auto Reboot". If you are re-partitioning with the .pit file then check "Re-Partition" as well.
    4. Click PDA and select the tar file you downloaded. Also put the .pit file under PIT if you are re-partitioning.
    5. Hit start and wait until the device reboots and Odin says "PASS!".

No Heimdall instructions yet. If some one wants to write a guide then I'll put it here.
    Stock EF17 Kernel: Prerooted, ClockworkMod 4.0.1.5 Recovery, RFS & EXT4 Compatible

I've put together a mostly stock kernel. Only the following changes were made to the stock kernel: Self contained root, ClockworkMod 4.0.1.5 with working redirector, and EXT4 support. The kernel also includes a fix for dpram not initializing in Samsung's EF17 source code. This causes the 3G radio and other stuff to not work when a kernel is compiled from Samsung's original source code. --BAD SAMSUNG for releasing broken freakin' source code!

Flash the kernel with Odin or Heimdall on top of any EF17 installation for ClockworkMod and EXT4 support. (Odin instructions are the same as flashing the stock tar files HERE)
    Download stock-ef17-kernel-root-cwm-v2.tar.md5 CWM Flashable: stock-ef17-kernel-root-cwm-v2.zip
    --Updated su and Superuser.apk in kernel

Old version(s):
    Download stock-ef17-kernel-root-cwm.tar.md5 (Mirror)
    --Initial version (see github link below for changes)

ClockworkMod 4.0.1.5 Notes:
    -Access ClockworkMod by completely powering off your device and hold volume up when you power it back on. You can also use a program like Quickboot or Rom Manager to reboot into recovery.
    -ClockworkMod is a 100% self contained recovery that has been compiled from the latest CyanogenMod source code.
    -Key mapping:
    Menu Up - Volume Up or Search
    Menu Down - Volume Down or Menu
    Select - Power or Home
    Back - Back
    -KNOWN BUG: ClockworkMod has a difficult time reading the factory flashed partitioning. This will cause issues when you restore a backup from ClockworkMod. I recommend to repartition at least ONCE to prevent this issue. If you happen to restore a backup and get stuck at the Samsung screen then simply Odin the kernel again to fix it. See HERE for more information.

Kernel source and change log can be found on github: https://github.com/Rodderik/android_kernel_samsung_sprinttab/commits/master

I will be developing a kernel for the Tab in between life and my other projects. Hopefully it will include things like overclocking, undervolting, voodoo sound, etc. Kernel developers, feel free to fork the kernel to use as a base for your own.
    Full Stock EF17 Rom: ClockworkMod Flashable, Deodexed, Zip Aligned, & Optimized

Provided below is a bone stock flashable rom. There is nothing modified or removed except for being deodexed, zip aligned, and PNG optimized. All the bloat is still intact. It is compatible with both EXT4 & RFS file systems. Flash the rom from ClockworkMod to return the Tab back to a stock rooted state.

Themers and rom chefs feel free to use this zip as a starting point for your own roms and themes. Let's see those sick customizations start rolling out the door!
    Download stock-ef17-rom-deodex-cwm-v3.zip (Mirror) md5: 8cc28c5840f7b74bf0b0acd20cff870a
    --fixed ScreenCaptureService.apk (holding back and hitting power to take a screenshot)

Old Version(s):
    Download stock-ef17-rom-deodex-cwm-v2.zip (Mirror) md5: 773dbfc511197551f4ef5a891836c6de
    --Updated su and Superuser.apk in kernel
    Download stock-ef17-rom-deodex-cwm-v1.zip (Mirror) md5: 78eb0f297f80193d45590da640dd76d9
    RFS & EXT4 Conversion Tools

The EXT4 file system provides a boost in performance over Samsung's proprietary RFS file system. EXT4 has become the standard for Android since the release of Gingerbread. Until recently, Samsung uses their own file system on the Tab and many other devices. If you would like to convert your file system please read on.

WARNING: THESE SCRIPTS DO NOT BACKUP OR RESTORE DATA. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THE USAGE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW WILL RESULT IN A SEMI-BRICK THAT WILL REQUIRE ODIN OR HEIMDALL TO FIX! ALSO YOU MUST READ THIS POST OR RISK YOUR RESTORED DATA NOT BOOTING! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

How to convert the file system:
    1. Download the appropriate zip below.
    2. Reboot into ClockworkMod (Volume up + power)
    3. IMPORTANT! Make a backup in ClockworkMod.
    4. Flash the appropriate zip from below but DO NOT reboot.
    5. Restore your backup or flash a rom before rebooting.

To convert RFS to EXT4 use this zip: rfs-to-ext4_sprint-tab.zip (Mirror)
    To convert EXT4 to RFS use this zip: ext4-to-rfs_sprint-tab.zip (Mirror)