FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Q] assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") =="p4wifi" ...

3 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By Kokapelly, Junior Member on 20th October 2012, 06:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all,

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") =="p4wifi" ...

I can not seam to delete the first line that i read from some post using Notepad++ if i make a copy to my desktop i can delete the first line of the install script, but can not copy it back to the zip folder. Trying to load an older version of the same rom i get the same error now also.

Any help would be great. and yes i have the right file for the right tablet ver GT p7510 wifi and trying to use cm-10-20121017-exp zip.

Loaded the new recovery and bootloader also.

any help would be great.
 
 
22nd October 2012, 07:49 AM |#2  
lightman33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
did you try to update script directly into zip file ?
I don't know which OS you are using (maybe windows ?), with linux, you can edit a file directly a zip file (file roller for me). After saving your file, zip is automatically updated.
if you are using winzip, i guess you can drag and drop updated file into your zip.
of course, you need to edit the zip file out of your tab.
22nd October 2012, 12:45 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks Light,

But i tried all different ways with no luck. I am on the 20121017 now i just had to use an older version of the CWM recovery.

;P
22nd October 2012, 03:37 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokapelly

Thanks Light,

But i tried all different ways with no luck. I am on the 20121017 now i just had to use an older version of the CWM recovery.

;P

Hey could you please just list files you used to make it work? I think I have the same issue as you.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Baptiste
22nd October 2012, 04:20 PM |#5  
lightman33's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 71
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatBat

Hey could you please just list files you used to make it work? I think I have the same issue as you.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Baptiste

this is the path of the file : /META-INF/com/google/android/
the file name is : updater-script

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "p4wifi" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "p4wifi");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-num/p4", "/system");
package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.sh", "/tmp/backuptool.sh");
package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.functions", "/tmp/backuptool.functions");
...
you just need to delete the first line (assert(getprop...).
The Following User Says Thank You to lightman33 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lightman33 Ad-Free
23rd October 2012, 03:12 PM |#6  
k1mu's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Virginia
Thanks Meter: 1,618
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokapelly

Hi all,

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") =="p4wifi" ...

If you're seeing that, then you should update your CWM. It's not recognizing your tablet device. I'm using CWM 5.5.0.4 and it does recognize the P7510 as "p4wifi".


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokapelly

I can not seam to delete the first line that i read from some post using Notepad++ if i make a copy to my desktop i can delete the first line of the install script, but can not copy it back to the zip folder. Trying to load an older version of the same rom i get the same error now also.

Any help would be great. and yes i have the right file for the right tablet ver GT p7510 wifi and trying to use cm-10-20121017-exp zip.

Loaded the new recovery and bootloader also.

any help would be great.

If it's easier, edit the file and just insert a "#" before the "assert". That will comment it out. However, I'd recommend updating the recovery instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to k1mu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k1mu Ad-Free
17th December 2012, 12:01 AM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Success Story - you figure out how...
This is a SUCCESS story...
I got by this somehow, not sure what it was but will over communicate so someone else can figure out specifics.
updating my gt-p7510 from android 3.1 to Android 4.1.2 (CM 10 ROM 20121215 nightly)...
My tab was in weird state from a prior rom sequence (I had rooted it long ago.. some programs said it was rooted, but programs trying to get the permission, like titanium backup, would fail)
so I followed the instructions to root again from HERE
up to the point to the point where you load a ROM. ie. I loaded CWM 5.5.0.4 using odin3.
Then I downloaded the latest CM 10 , copied it to root folder on my tab... and tried to use CWM to install it...
got the "assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "p4wifi" ... Failure...
went wild and tried other programs (ROM Manager, System Updater etc. avail from "Play Store" ... actually I had tried these prior to rooting again...
they failed before (not able to get root permissions) and after (not able to perform the update... assuming they got and hid similar error)
Tried to edit out the assert in the updater-script as in the prior post... but unzipping had a lot of duplicate file overrides (into clean folder) and they were not all exactly the same file (ie some had different sizes)... so gave up that path.
I had been avoiding updating CWM further because of k1mu's success above ... and avoided the "CWM Touch" flash as I thought base CWM would be better.
Went back to try to update CWM (went to www.clockworkmod.com) and was annoyed when I could not download the CWM zips... links returned characters in browser...

Finally went wild again... used ROM Manager Pro to update CWM to the latest "CWM Touch"
Surprisingly this updated CWM easily...
Then used it to Load the latest CM 10 nightly ... again shockingly easy AND successful... (no Assert failure)
ROM Manager did not automatically update the google apps ... so I got my first look at the CWM Touch interface installing gapps...
But it all worked... So LOVE ROM Manager...
(although for grins I also found and tried CM 10 downloader and retried System Updater Pro etc.. .they all work now)
But hats off to ROM Manager's update and to CWM touch for seemingly fixing all my problems.
4th December 2013, 12:43 AM |#8  
Member
Flag Hulu Selangor
Thanks Meter: 17
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightman33

this is the path of the file : /META-INF/com/google/android/
the file name is : updater-script

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "p4wifi" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "p4wifi");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-num/p4", "/system");
package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.sh", "/tmp/backuptool.sh");
package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.functions", "/tmp/backuptool.functions");
...
you just need to delete the first line (assert(getprop...).

I open in notepad++ and here is the code from updater-script
Code:
assert(!less_than_int(1383478437, getprop("ro.build.date.utc")));
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "p4wifi" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "p4wifi");
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-num/p4", "/system");
So do I need to delete full 1st line or 2nd line?
If I follow your instruction, I have to delete 2nd line...

EDITED:
Line 2 deleted! And done flashing
10th January 2014, 05:52 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
The answer to all of this: The problem is the recovery, not the update package, or the updater script.

The assert fails because CWM, TWRP, and some other modified recoveries do not include the getprop command in their small, ramdisk linux OS. So, when the assert tries to run getprop to check ANY property for the installed system, it fails.

Apparently CWM Touch has this binary included.

Custom recoveries generally don't think to include it because pretty much the only thing being flashed through them are custom roms, with their own custom installer scripts, and these rarely (have they ever?) include asserts checking for properties.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes