[GUIDE] HOW TO Enable Wi-Fi Tether on stock Kit Kat 4.4.2

Search This thread

gypsy214

Jan 24, 2011
Dallas, Tx
Does it count toward your monthly hotspot allotment this way?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Thanks for this. Now we just need to find out how to change the default selected APN at boot.

It does but even though you run out of your GB they give you it will still go. They wont throttle you. If you dont change the user agent you will just get the tmobile lock site. Changing the user agent you can still tether without worries.

mrgodai

Feb 12, 2010
Makes sense. Now all we need is for someone much more knowledgeable than I to cook up a shell script that will change the "dun" variable at startup.

Here's how to auto run a script to set "tether_dun_required = 0" at startup

you need sqlite3 installed first
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ptSoft.util.sqlite3forroot

follow this "How to execute a command automatically at boot" Guide

and use this script

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
DB="/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"
/system/xbin/sqlite3 "$DB" "UPDATE global SET value='0' WHERE name='tether_dun_required';"

reboot and check, it takes about a minute for the script to run and apply :good:

Last edited:
Reactions: GeorgeNav

mrgodai

Feb 12, 2010

NewZJ

Aug 27, 2010
Seattle, Wa
Seems to be working after creating the update script to run at boot and installing the sqlite apps and running the custom APN with dun.

GeorgeNav

Feb 10, 2011
Seabrook
Interesting. My phone is missing /system/xbin/sqlite3

Here's how to auto run a script to set "tether_dun_required = 0" at startup

you need sqlite3 installed first
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ptSoft.util.sqlite3forroot

follow this "How to execute a command automatically at boot" Guide

and use this script

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
DB="/data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db"
/system/xbin/sqlite3 "$DB" "UPDATE global SET value='0' WHERE name='tether_dun_required';"

reboot and check, it takes about a minute for the script to run and apply :good:

My hero! works perfect

Reactions: mrgodai

keko jones

Mar 21, 2014
Quick question, i'm running PA and on the ROM it gives you a hotspot option. Since is not the TMobile hotspot, died it count against the available tether allot it?

phoenix_rizzen

Aug 10, 2011
Wait, is it not easier way to do this:
(if you have root)
1. download SQlite editor app from G.Play (pay for it few bucks)

2. search for com.android.providers.settings and open it

3. open "settings.db" then "global" and under "tether_dun_required" change 1 to 0,

save and turn on tethering without any limits.... Just after reboot you need to set 1 to 0 again to make it work...
I saw it somewhere around and that worked for me!

(Didn't have to change or create new APN.

(This is possible solution for NON-T-mobile users of D801 model, because I'm one..)

This method works on the Rogers D803. Just used it last week to stream Netflix HD movies to my laptop (hotel wifi was only 1 Mbps and Netflix SD looks horrible on a 720p laptop screen 12" from your face). Gotta love a 6 GB data plan on the last day of the monthly time period. :D

Thanks for the info!!

Oh, and this was on Mahdi ROM (June 03 version), not stock LG ROM.

tonyec7

Jun 12, 2012
El Paso
For PA do I have to do anything to tether without going over my limit?

Sent from my LG-D801 using XDA Free mobile app

tpaxadpom

Oct 28, 2009
I am using both methods at the same time (New apn with foxfi and together dun set to 2, 0 doesn't work for me). Either way I get an upsell message from time to time. Last time I changed tether dun to 1 and then back to zero. When it works it works and there is no need for to change user agent. When upsell message comes up, user agent makes no difference.

C3cars

Dec 31, 2010
California
Stupid......I left android because of this reason. I now have an Apple, not crApple and I tether unlimited without monitoring of my data. Solution= sell inferior android and buy a iPhone, jailbreak, and tether to your hearts desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wait, is it not easier way to do this:
    (if you have root)
    1. download SQlite editor app from G.Play (pay for it few bucks)

2. search for com.android.providers.settings and open it

3. open "settings.db" then "global" and under "tether_dun_required" change 1 to 0,

save and turn on tethering without any limits.... Just after reboot you need to set 1 to 0 again to make it work...
    I saw it somewhere around and that worked for me!

(Didn't have to change or create new APN.

(This is possible solution for NON-T-mobile users of D801 model, because I'm one..)
    I took the update because I boot looped my phone trying to upgrade to a rooted stock version of Kit Kat.

After going to stock I lost root and of course custom recovery. As many have noticed, there is no viable tether app that works with Kit Kat on this device. In doing a search it appears that this is the case with many devices that have gotten Kit Kat.

So I did a search and through several different threads I believe I have found the workaround.

I am new to doing "How-To's" so please forgive me if this is not as professional as others. I am not a developer but have some knowledge of working with various facets of Android. So, here goes:

1. Go to settings--> Tethering and networks ---> Mobile networks --> Access point names
    2. Under Access point names, you should have T-Mobile LTE
    3. Click menu ---> New APN
    4. Name --> Whatever you want
    5. APN ---> should say "Not Set" change to "Fast.T-Mobile.com"
    6. APN Type--> type "default,supl,mms,dun"
    7. APN Protocol --> Be sure it says "IPv4"
    8. Menu--> Click save
    9. Change APN to the newly created Access Point
    10. Download : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi
    11. Download the PC app (if needed)
    12. (Optional) Download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi.key

Follow instructions on setting up FoxFi which I will not cover here.

I am using this now to type this thread. It is a little buggy but I think that is FoxFi not necessarily this method of tether. I have to at times disable/re-enable the PC app if I lose connection.

I hope this helps folks out there.
    Are speeds with FoxFi comparable to stock tethering?

Yes, speeds are comparable. Only issue, and I believe this is with PDANet/FoxFi is you at times have to reset the connection on the computer. I am running Windows 7 BTW
    That is if you have root. As stated in the OP this is a workaround for those that have lost root via 4.4.2.

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app
    Ok. Let me try and clarify. The step by step in the OP can be used on any ROM but is specifically useful for those like me that took the update to 4.4.2 and lost root.

When using FoxFi app it is recommended that you use USB tether mode. Also you need to hide your activity but I'm not going to cover that. I Will leave that to others.

Sent from my LG-D801 using xda app-developers app