First impressions of XDA OMNI on Acer a500

Search This thread

tudogz

Dec 19, 2015
I have downloaded the XDA omni rom for A500:

Freshly built Android 4.4.2 ROM based on Omnirom KitKat !

"The Team 'IconiaHD' is proud to present a new ROM for your Acer A500 or A501 tablet.

This small team is composed of:
- HenrikE: A200 owner, responsible for an unofficial CM-10.2 build for the A200
- Doume: A200 owner, experienced linux developer
- macia10: A501 owner, tester"

The omni rom installs easily using TWRP ver 2.7 by Thor. Once I followed the OP recommendations all stages in the installation were clear. The rom runs well after the second and third boot. I even used ART. Here is my take so far: rom is fast and smooth. Browsers load pages fast, even high image content sites (CNN). Videos on youtube work flawlessly, wifi signal is very strong. I was able to load all my apps and have them run well. A very nice and responsive rom on the acer a500. Google play store works right off the bat. A few minor issues though: google music play app has a bit of chopping of the music playback. Netflix did not work for me as the app would force closed on me. I tried the netflixfix as recommended by the OP but it did not work either ( I am waiting for the next fix as suggested by the OP). Other than those two minor issues I can't wait to try the updated versions of this omni rom as it adds a new life to this acer a500. I am very happy to see that there are developers who continue to get value for us by implementing optimized roms on the a500. Thank you for your great work.:good::good::good::good::D

Is this a viable alternative for a relative beginner? I'd love to give my A501 a new lease on life, but am hesitant as I don't want to turn it into a door-stop. Any advice guys?
Thanks in anticipation.
tudogz.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some tweaks that make this Rom smooth.

I would like to suggest the following tweaks that will make your experience with this rom smoother. Make sure you have a complete backup of your a500 current system. Use these at your own risk.

Before installing rom:
    1. Wipe cache, wipe Dalvik cache, "real format" data (very important).

Installation:
    2. Install rom, install mini-gapps, install super user
    3. Boot up rom. Set up Wifi, Set up Google play services.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Make a complete back of your new omni rom.

Tweaking:
    6. Use "interactive"; "sio", "set on boot"
    7. Set cpu to max to 1200 Mhz and min to 456 Mhz
    8. Reboot
    9. Install Nova or ADW launcher. Have at least 3 screen windows . Set look and field to “faster than light” (Nova)
    10. Install "prop builder" editor
    11. Edit the prop file as follows (see attached image):
    dalvik.vm.heapmaxfree
    12m

dalvik.vm.heapstartsize
    12m

12. Reboot.
    13. Run a benchmark app and compare. I got an Antutu score of 9036 (see attached image) up from 7700. Overall system is more responsive.
    14. If all goes well, make another backup with a different name.

Good Luck and enjoy.
    I have downloaded the XDA omni rom for A500:

Freshly built Android 4.4.2 ROM based on Omnirom KitKat !

"The Team 'IconiaHD' is proud to present a new ROM for your Acer A500 or A501 tablet.

This small team is composed of:
    - HenrikE: A200 owner, responsible for an unofficial CM-10.2 build for the A200
    - Doume: A200 owner, experienced linux developer
    - macia10: A501 owner, tester"

The omni rom installs easily using TWRP ver 2.7 by Thor. Once I followed the OP recommendations all stages in the installation were clear. The rom runs well after the second and third boot. I even used ART. Here is my take so far: rom is fast and smooth. Browsers load pages fast, even high image content sites (CNN). Videos on youtube work flawlessly, wifi signal is very strong. I was able to load all my apps and have them run well. A very nice and responsive rom on the acer a500. Google play store works right off the bat. A few minor issues though: google music play app has a bit of chopping of the music playback. Netflix did not work for me as the app would force closed on me. I tried the netflixfix as recommended by the OP but it did not work either ( I am waiting for the next fix as suggested by the OP). Other than those two minor issues I can't wait to try the updated versions of this omni rom as it adds a new life to this acer a500. I am very happy to see that there are developers who continue to get value for us by implementing optimized roms on the a500. Thank you for your great work.:good::good::good::good::D

D.
    I'm filing a report with the moderators to put this into device-specific forums, as you're issuing a report against an unofficial build that, to my knowledge, no one involved with the bringup has attempted to get merged officially. (I'll check with the merge guys tonight on that...)
    I have been running this rom for the past few weeks. Here is what I have noticed. I hope that this will help further the development of the rom. I am attaching the logcat information.

a). Recent update from Google Play Music fixed the audio glitches I was having before.
    b). Chrome Browser runs well has problems playing videos, causes browser FC (flash issue?). Lightening Browser works well.
    c). Occasional window change results in zoomed icons in the apps section.
    d). Netflix still FCs.
    e). Network Location works on my Acer A500.
    f). Youtube works without any issues.

D.
    Thanks for the report! Interesting that network location works for you. It seems to work sometimes and sometimes not, would be nice to figure out why..
    The latest versions of netflix don't work, even with the fix applied. Try version 3.1.2 instead: http://gsmandroidapps.com/download-netflix-3-1-2-build-1142-apk/
    I haven't seen the problem with zoomed icons, does it happen often?