(28 November 2010) iDialer v0.54 - Open Source edition

Search This thread

supbro

Aug 10, 2007
San Diego, CA
dgmltn.com
I just install idialer, but I haven't the look that I see on the screenshots. I cannot see the bottom bar with the icons, no matter which skin I choose. What I'm doing wrong? My device is eten glofiish X600 with wwe wm6.1 rom.

Those won't show up if you don't also have iContact installed. Without iContact installed, those buttons wouldn't do anything anyway.

supbro

Aug 10, 2007
San Diego, CA
dgmltn.com
Thanks for the new revision to this app. Keyboard support works well!

The addition of myNumber to the registry of idialerv4 works for me. I have set up two service types: GrandCentral and Sprint(the mobile phone service provider). If myNumber is set to the phone’s mobile number, I can dial (and receive on the mobile) using Sprint or GrandCentral. If I manually set myNumber to a temporary landline, I can dial via GrandCentral and receive the call on the temporary landline number. Also, if I manually set myNumber to a temporary landline, I can still dial a regular mobile phone call via Sprint. Great!

However, I find that idialer isn't as easy to use with a temporary landline number as I had hoped. Once a temporary landline is used, it seems necessary to manually check/change the number in registry for all GrandCentral calls (whether a person wants to use the permanent mobile number or a temporary landline number). Is there an easier way for a user of idialerv4 to switch between GrandCentral (or other service type) using a temporary line and the permanent mobile number?

If not, would you consider modifying the Service Title switch to rewrite the myNumber registry entry with a “call from” number specific to each service type? If this were done, I think a user could set up a permanent GrandCentral service type that would always use the mobile number to call from. The user would switch to that GrandCentral service type most of the time. A user could also create a separate GrandCentral service type for temporary landline use. Only when there is a need to use a temporary landline number, would the user manually check/change the temporary number in the separate GrandCentral service type. This would eliminate the manual registry check/change needed when using GrandCentral with the mobile number.

Ok, so you want a different "my phone number" for each service. You're right, iDialer wasn't written with the intention of changing the source number. In fact, I only added that for people whose phones weren't compatible with the automatic phone number detection. It's a fine line between ease-of-use (with not too many options) and flexibility. But I'll look into adding that.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
iContact and iDialer have to both be installed in the same memory (I recommend both on "Device", but can both be on "Storage Card")

Does that mean the two are now dependant on each other? If so, is there any reason not to include iDialer in iContact (if you can work out some way of not having to distribute the iDialer specific code)?

Rippa_MD

Sep 8, 2007
noobie question:

when I press the green call button on the idialer screen the dialer reverts back to the ugly windows dialer and the phone starts to dial/make the call using the ugly dialer instead of idialer.

I thought idialer got rid of the default dialer completely :confused: is there a fix for this or is it in the works? or I need to RTFM to fix it?

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
noobie question:

when I press the green call button on the idialer screen the dialer reverts back to the ugly windows dialer and the phone starts to dial/make the call using the ugly dialer instead of idialer.

I thought idialer got rid of the default dialer completely :confused: is there a fix for this or is it in the works? or I need to RTFM to fix it?
That's what should happen.

As far as I've found so far, there isn't really a way of stopping this happen. I'm trying to work out a work around for my own dialer, and I suspect supbro is doing the same for this.

@supbro: if I work out a way around WM stealing the screen I'll let you know.

supbro

Aug 10, 2007
San Diego, CA
dgmltn.com
Does that mean the two are now dependant on each other? If so, is there any reason not to include iDialer in iContact (if you can work out some way of not having to distribute the iDialer specific code)?

No, they're not dependent on each other... there's just no easy way I know of to find the location of iDialer from iContact and vice versa. But I want to keep the programs seperate for flexibility, and for faster load times.

supbro

Aug 10, 2007
San Diego, CA
dgmltn.com
That's what should happen.

As far as I've found so far, there isn't really a way of stopping this happen. I'm trying to work out a work around for my own dialer, and I suspect supbro is doing the same for this.

@supbro: if I work out a way around WM stealing the screen I'll let you know.

You can use the GAPI to capture the green button, it will be sent to your program as a WM_KEYDOWN / WM_KEYUP messages. It's easy too, just use GXOpenInput.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb446723.aspx

I don't like this solution, though, because it also captures ALL of the hardware buttons; the volume buttons, "Home" button, "back" button, everything, will no longer work, or you will have to handle them all manually.

So that's why I wrote GreenButton. If you install GreenButton, iDialer will work the way you want it.

supbro - do you ever see possibility of your giving user OPTION to show photos

supbro, I know the evolution of the iContact application has been a multi-threaded one. I don't know its earliest origins other that the crediting you give to larna. I also understand, from asking you in another thread a few months back, that Burt's version of iContact was built on your development work. I am not looking for any kind of pin-pointing of which code pieces come from which party -- as it seems to me that collaboration is the whole spirit of XDA.

So, I am asking this question not from a point of view of my having followed every version and every thread from you and Burt & others in the diversion of paths, but: All I know is I like being able to scroll through and pick a contact by image. My brain processes information much more quickly that way than proocessing letter-sequences of names.

I am just guessing - but do not know - that you opted to not enable any kind of picture display on LIST view for speed/performance/load reasons. And I would only guess that, as a result, your versions are faster to load and operate than are Burt's.

So I want to ask: Is it definitive? You will not ever add the option for a user to SELECT having photos in list view? Because for me, from my own usability perspective (vs eye candy), no photos is a "deal breaker". Which is a real shame, because then I can never enjoy the benefit of your tight integration with idialer and green button.

I respect your determination of how you want to develop your own software. what I don't get though is why, even if it is something you personally do not like or want as a feature, you seem unopen to providing a feature set that SOME people want & like -- and we're willing to suffer the performance hit for the usability of the visual sorting it provides.

Similarly, I really need my Contact manager to display NOTES details.

The reason I am asking this here is: If I know for sure that you will not likely add those features as options, then I regretably will opt to use Burt's iContact, and "suffer" the lack of integration.

Thank you very much for what is an awesome suite of development you've done... and i would love to have you open a new thread at some point smply to explain your company's offering... I, as of now, don't understand it. Nor do I understand, yet, how to use Grand Central on my WM device.

sorry for the length of msg !

No, they're not dependent on each other... there's just no easy way I know of to find the location of iDialer from iContact and vice versa. But I want to keep the programs seperate for flexibility, and for faster load times.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
You can use the GAPI to capture the green button, it will be sent to your program as a WM_KEYDOWN / WM_KEYUP messages. It's easy too, just use GXOpenInput.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb446723.aspx

I don't like this solution, though, because it also captures ALL of the hardware buttons; the volume buttons, "Home" button, "back" button, everything, will no longer work, or you will have to handle them all manually.

So that's why I wrote GreenButton. If you install GreenButton, iDialer will work the way you want it.

My comment is that after the call is placed, WM takes control - the in call screen is all WM.

I've used GAPI, and am using it in current things, but see your point about not wanting it to capture other keys.

l3v5y

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 13, 2007
Bristol
I see your points.

For the loading of iDialer from iContact, the install directory can be found in the registry.

Code:
LPCWSTR iContactPath()
{
        LPCWSTR	 installedFolder;
	HKEY hkey;
	LONG result = RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, TEXT("Software\\Apps\\supware.net iContact"), 0, 
		KEY_QUERY_VALUE, &hkey); // Where app install data is stored

if (result == 0)
	{
		char data[200] = ""; // buffer for path
		DWORD buffersize = 200; // size of buffer
		RegQueryValueEx(hkey, TEXT("InstallDir"), NULL, NULL, (BYTE*) &data, &buffersize);
		RegCloseKey(hkey);

installedFolder = (LPTSTR) data; // convert to LPWCSTR
		StringCchCat((LPTSTR)installedFolder, MAX_PATH, L"\\iContact.exe"); // Concatenate iContact exe path
		return installedFolder; // return the full path
	}
	else
	{
		return L""; // return a default path
	}
}

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
why? VOIP isn't forbidden or anything. we just do everything as slow as possible...
we could've had a complete voip system going on with WiMax support in most major cities if it wasn't for our laziness.

Top Liked Posts