Can't flash magisk with TWRP because latest twrp not available for OG Pixel

Search This thread

matusala

Oct 19, 2014
I have Android 10 on my OG Pixel. I have secured it with pin and fingerprint. When i booted twrp-3.3.1-0-sailfish.img it sucesfully decrypted data with PIN then i flashed latest available zip which is twrp-pixel-installer-sailfish-3.3.0-0.zip. Rebooted and phone booted normaly. Then i downloaded latest magisk zip and apk. I tried to flash magisk but pin unlock does not work in twrp 3.3.0-0 which i flashed. Then i tried to boot from twrp-3.3.1-0-sailfish.img and this version decrypts data fine. Maybe because it's newer version and there is some fix in there. Can i flash 3.3.1-0 to my device permanently?

Why there is no 3.3.1-0 flashable zip for OG Pixel? https://eu.dl.twrp.me/sailfish/

Pixel XL does have 3.3.1-0 flashable zip too which is dated the same as live boot img 3.3.1-0 image https://eu.dl.twrp.me/marlin/

Can i flash magisk from booted twrp-3.3.1-0-sailfish.img and not with twrp that i flashed? Will it work?

Last edited:

Horgar

Nov 2, 2012
Google Pixel 3a
I have Android 10 on my OG Pixel. I have secured it with pin and fingerprint. When i booted twrp-3.3.1-0-sailfish.img it sucesfully decrypted data with PIN then i flashed latest available zip which is twrp-pixel-installer-sailfish-3.3.0-0.zip. Rebooted and phone booted normaly. Then i downloaded latest magisk zip and apk. I tried to flash magisk but pin unlock does not work in twrp 3.3.0-0 which i flashed. Then i tried to boot from twrp-3.3.1-0-sailfish.img and this version decrypts data fine. Maybe because it's newer version and there is some fix in there. Can i flash 3.3.1-0 to my device permanently?

Why there is no 3.3.1-0 flashable zip for OG Pixel? https://eu.dl.twrp.me/sailfish/

Pixel XL does have 3.3.1-0 flashable zip too which is dated the same as live boot img 3.3.1-0 image https://eu.dl.twrp.me/marlin/

Can i flash magisk from booted twrp-3.3.1-0-sailfish.img and not with twrp that i flashed? Will it work?

Twrp does not work on 10. You can root fairly easily by clean flashing 10, installing the latest magisk Canary build and then patching the boot.img through magisk. There is currently no working twrp and although you can root you cannot mount your system. We await further magisk updates to fix that.
Go to the main magisk support thread on XDA. It's all there.

https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/mod-magisk-v1-universal-systemless-t3432382/page3558

I've done it anyway and all working fine (apart from system mount). Magisk hide works, my adblockr works. It's all good.

Follow this guide for root. It works the same for the original Pixel

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/root-your-pixel-3-android-10-0200295/

Last edited:

matusala

Oct 19, 2014
Twrp does not work on 10. You can root fairly easily by clean flashing 10, installing the latest magisk Canary build and then patching the boot.img through magisk. There is currently no working twrp and although you can root you cannot mount your system. We await further magisk updates to fix that.
Go to the main magisk support thread on XDA. It's all there.

https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/mod-magisk-v1-universal-systemless-t3432382/page3558

I've done it anyway and all working fine (apart from system mount). Magisk hide works, my adblockr works. It's all good.

Follow this guide for root. It works the same for the original Pixel

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/root-your-pixel-3-android-10-0200295/

I removed fingerprint and pin code temporarily and flashed magisk.zip and installed magisk apk. All is working great. Then i set up pin and fingerprint and once there was some problem pin did not unlock phone fingerprint did. After reboot it also fixed.

Thing is if i boot 3.3.1-0 with fastboot boot it works, it decrypts data with pin. But 3.3.0-0 says pin wrong. I tried to install twrp-3.3.1-0.img from TWRP 3.3.0-0 with new menu to flash ramdisk but it says something that not enough memory available. How can i flash new 3.3.1-0 TWRP there is no zip. What version of TWRP do you have?

Horgar

Nov 2, 2012
Google Pixel 3a
I removed fingerprint and pin code temporarily and flashed magisk.zip and installed magisk apk. All is working great. Then i set up pin and fingerprint and once there was some problem pin did not unlock phone fingerprint did. After reboot it also fixed.

Thing is if i boot 3.3.1-0 with fastboot boot it works, it decrypts data with pin. But 3.3.0-0 says pin wrong. I tried to install twrp-3.3.1-0.img from TWRP 3.3.0-0 with new menu to flash ramdisk but it says something that not enough memory available. How can i flash new 3.3.1-0 TWRP there is no zip. What version of TWRP do you have?
The issue you describe is nothing to do with being on Android 10. That issue of decryption with twrp has been around for a while. Just get rid of pin etc, then you will get into twrp. But. Twrp does not work with 10. There is no point attempting to flash twrp for the time being. It does not work.

If you want a working root, you need to do the old way by patching your boot.img. That seems to be the only working root method so far on 10

Reactions: hankfrennig

matusala

Oct 19, 2014
The issue you describe is nothing to do with being on Android 10. That issue of decryption with twrp has been around for a while. Just get rid of pin etc, then you will get into twrp. But. Twrp does not work with 10. There is no point attempting to flash twrp for the time being. It does not work.

If you want a working root, you need to do the old way by patching your boot.img. That seems to be the only working root method so far on 10

Why do you keep saying it does not work? I just got rid of pin + fingerprint then went into TWRP which i flashed before from live TWRP. Flashed magisk.zip it worked perfectly and then rebooted and installed magisk manager. TWRP works great with 10 if i do not have pin + fingerprint and magisk also works great.

Reactions: Flipz77

jackdubl

Aug 14, 2010
I used twrp to flash Magisk on 10.0. I didn't flash twrp, just booted it. It flashed the normal magisk fine and I have root. What is more strange, my Pixel accepted and installed 10.0 via the OTA. I have never had a rooted phone accept an OTA before.

matusala

Oct 19, 2014
I used twrp to flash Magisk on 10.0. I didn't flash twrp, just booted it. It flashed the normal magisk fine and I have root. What is more strange, my Pixel accepted and installed 10.0 via the OTA. I have never had a rooted phone accept an OTA before.

Magisk is systemless root maybe that's why it did that.

Horgar

Nov 2, 2012
Google Pixel 3a
Why do you keep saying it does not work? I just got rid of pin + fingerprint then went into TWRP which i flashed before from live TWRP. Flashed magisk.zip it worked perfectly and then rebooted and installed magisk manager. TWRP works great with 10 if i do not have pin + fingerprint and magisk also works great.

If Twrp sticks and works on 10 then that's good. But all the reports on XDA are saying Twrp will not stick and/or does not work on 10. You're the only person I've heard that has got a working Twrp on 10

jackdubl

Aug 14, 2010
No. Not tried. But if it worked for you that's good to know. I know for others it didn't work. Patching the boot.img only takes 10 minutes anyway.

Are you able to mount your system with magisk rooted 10?
I seem to remember getting some strange messages while flashing Magisk, like it couldn't mount system or something. It was in red. It seemed bad but it also came after successfully flashing Magisk, so it said. Everything was working fine after I rebooted. All root apps working as normal.

jeffritz1

Jun 25, 2011
Howdy y'all, this is all something I did recently after resurrecting my Google pixel. I also got Android 10 and twrp working with magisk. All was good until I tried mounting system so I can edit build.prop. I spend a ton of time trying to research why I could not mount system. Came up empty until I found this thread with someone mentioning you cannot mount system. Why is this? Is there no way that I can edit build.prop in this configuration?

G

GuestK00387

Howdy y'all, this is all something I did recently after resurrecting my Google pixel. I also got Android 10 and twrp working with magisk. All was good until I tried mounting system so I can edit build.prop. I spend a ton of time trying to research why I could not mount system. Came up empty until I found this thread with someone mentioning you cannot mount system. Why is this? Is there no way that I can edit build.prop in this configuration?

If your running Magisk you could try the Magiskhide props config module, Its in the downloads section of magisk manager. Should allow you to set custom props, there is a dedicated thread for it so may be worth a look there also.

jeffritz1

Jun 25, 2011
If your running Magisk you could try the Magiskhide props config module, Its in the downloads section of magisk manager. Should allow you to set custom props, there is a dedicated thread for it so may be worth a look there also.

Yeah, after trying everything under the sun I started going down this route but as I was going through the Magiskhide props config module menu I see "Edit Magisk Props" and "Edit custom props" but It made me believe that it creates / edits new custom props and could not see a way of editing the build.prop in /system. May need to dig further into it since I never used this module before. Thanks for mentioning the Magiskhide props config module support thread.

YogaSlackers

Jul 30, 2013
www.yogaslackers.com
is rooted Magisk on Android 10 or 11 with Pixel 1 possible?

Yeah, after trying everything under the sun I started going down this route but as I was going through the Magiskhide props config module menu I see "Edit Magisk Props" and "Edit custom props" but It made me believe that it creates / edits new custom props and could not see a way of editing the build.prop in /system. May need to dig further into it since I never used this module before. Thanks for mentioning the Magiskhide props config module support thread.

Is there a link. I currently have a pixel on 8.1 and I am trying to get a rooted pixel up and running so I can tether. This will be my daily phone. I am looking for the best solution for a safe and robust system that allows tethering. thanks for any leads.

Sam

Flipz77

Jul 15, 2014
Milan
Google Pixel 4 XL
Is there a link. I currently have a pixel on 8.1 and I am trying to get a rooted pixel up and running so I can tether. This will be my daily phone. I am looking for the best solution for a safe and robust system that allows tethering. thanks for any leads.

Sam

Hey, almost a week late but hope it's still helpful. Yes I recommend the official 10 firmware with Magisk, flashed through a temporary TWRP.
I've been running this setup for months, I can use all my root apps, even Google Pay and Netflix no problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.