[Q] Updates for LG-P925G?

Search This thread

linuxluver

Aug 21, 2009
Auckland
3dluver.blogspot.com
I'm in New Zealand and I bought an LG Optimus 3D via "Mobicity" because I wanted a model that is compatible with the Telecom XT WCDMA network. They sent me a Rogers phone - the LG P925G. It is unlocked.

I love the thing. It's awesome.

But it does raise the question of how I might get any updates. My IMEI will be for a Canadian phone. Does Rogers SIM-lock this phone?

I've tried LG Update and selected Canada as the country. It lists the version of firmware I am currently on (v10C). There do not appear to be any updates.

If there is a way to check for OTA updates, I can't find it in the menus in the phone.

Anyone have any answers to these questions? I've been reading through various threads and most relate to the LG-P920, which is sold here in NZ by Vodafone. But I don't use Vodafone as their new data plans suck and I can get 4 times the data from Telecom for the same money.

I'd like to work out how to update my P925G the "normal" way,if that's possible. I'm happy to root the phone and flash other firmware if there is no other way, but I do not want to disturb or break the 3D functionality of the phone as that is the primary reason I bought it.

darshanbangre

May 18, 2010
Bangalore
Hi Mate... I have the same phone P925g its from Rogers Canada.... It is unlocked... but am afraid if you flash to other roms of P920 u may loose network connectivity like me.... am struggling for it... ! now it is more like a gadget than the phone.

Last edited:

boboche

Aug 10, 2010
I'm fighting to find if this telephone has a radio-specific chipset for rogers or it's firmware-locked to rogers as I am trying to carry it to videotron... trying to locate the base roger firmware to start poking around since I can't source this information on the net...

darshanbangre

May 18, 2010
Bangalore
I'm fighting to find if this telephone has a radio-specific chipset for rogers or it's firmware-locked to rogers as I am trying to carry it to videotron... trying to locate the base roger firmware to start poking around since I can't source this information on the net...

Trying exactly the same thing.... the issue is with network radio ... hope its not chipset issue...how to solve this now...

boboche

Aug 10, 2010
I have an app reporting the radio is an XMM 6260 which is listed as pentaband on intel's website, but I can't seem to source a specification sheet with frequency lists...

boboche

Aug 10, 2010
"Phone Info" app.

under ALL VALUES you will see CPU Omap4430 and Radio right under XMM 6260.

FZRaceR

Oct 27, 2011
Update will be when???

Hi all, I too purchased the 925g from mobicity in Brisbane here and what an awesome piece of technology...

It came branded as Rogers and I spent double the amount of the p920 just to get the 925's NextG compatability... it flies on their network here....

But I am really wanting to go to 2.3 as all of you are too. I too have tried the Canada settings and several others in the hope of getting the update but have had no luck.

I too will not use a custom mod in the fear of losing my dearest features... the 3D.

If anyone has any further info or timeframes I would be all ears ;)

Cheers
Chris:D

linuxluver

Aug 21, 2009
Auckland
3dluver.blogspot.com
Hi all, I too purchased the 925g from mobicity in Brisbane here and what an awesome piece of technology...

It came branded as Rogers and I spent double the amount of the p920 just to get the 925's NextG compatability... it flies on their network here....

But I am really wanting to go to 2.3 as all of you are too. I too have tried the Canada settings and several others in the hope of getting the update but have had no luck.

I too will not use a custom mod in the fear of losing my dearest features... the 3D.

Cheers

I guess the thing to do is monitor Rogers and see if / when an update comes out. One was due out in October...which has very few days left now.

Or just buy an HTC Evo 3D as HTC are very good about Android updates....and it's a higher spec phone anyway.

BTW - Ive worked out how to make 3D videos for uploading to YouTube that will also play perfectly on the LG Optimus 3D. My YouTube channel is "linuxluver". The last 4-5 videos should work perfectly in landscape. If you want to know how to do it, post a comment on a video or send me a message on YT.

Reactions: FZRaceR

FZRaceR

Oct 27, 2011
UPDATE!!!!

I guess the thing to do is monitor Rogers and see if / when an update comes out. One was due out in October...which has very few days left now.

Or just buy an HTC Evo 3D as HTC are very good about Android updates....and it's a higher spec phone anyway.

BTW - Ive worked out how to make 3D videos for uploading to YouTube that will also play perfectly on the LG Optimus 3D. My YouTube channel is "linuxluver". The last 4-5 videos should work perfectly in landscape. If you want to know how to do it, post a comment on a video or send me a message on YT.

Hi again... I have been frustrated that others have GB and not us with rogers phones so I pretended to be a Canadian (not an american lol) and got into their live chat assistance system... Bottom line is they have no idea of a release date for the rogers branded p925g...

Tammy says:
Hello Chris, thank you for choosing Rogers Live Support. My Name is Tammy, how may I assist you today?

Tammy says:
Hello Chris, thank you for choosing Rogers Live Support. My Name is Tammy, how may I assist you today?

Chris says:
Hi Tammy How are you going?

Tammy says:
Hello , how can I help you today?

Chris says:
I have a Rogers LGP925G phone and am awaiting the 2.3.5 update for it. I wondered if you had a release date that Rogers will be releasing the new firmware please?

Tammy says:
We do not have that information when the update is available

Chris says:
Oh ok. it is rolling out in other contries and wondered if it was scheduled.

Chris says:
Am I best to try to contact LG then?

Tammy says:
Yes, you can try contacting them

Chris says:
OK... thansk for your help.

Tammy says:
You are welcome.

Tammy says:
thank you for choosing Rogers Wireless Live Chat Support. You can feel free to contact us again at your convenience, we are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Chris says:
k bfn

Have you heard anything ???

salsadoom

Nov 2, 2010
Saskatoon
I have a p925g, Rogers branded - actually on Rogers in Canada.

I tried flashing up v21a base band, but I has massive problems with getting a signal and (strangely) my wifi. It really wasn't useable unless you are cool with edge only. Gross.

There where a few sweet spots where I could stand and get proper hpsa though, so it sort of almost worked...

My advice would be to not try it, its kind of a long procedure to go back to froyo.

We are pretty much stuck until Rogers decides to do something about it. Its a piss off ;(

Sent from my LG-P925g using XDA App

Audi2Audi

Feb 16, 2008
Good Morning!

The topic of this thread is semi-related to the GB Baseband for Canada thread.

As I have stated in that thread, I am using a Rogers P925 that is unlocked and using the Bell network.

I flashed the GB KDZ file (twice before it worked) and I have successfully upgraded to Gingerbread without any network issues!

My network speeds when running speedtest lie on average in the 2.5Mbps-5.5Mbps range (which is exactly the same as when I was usuing Froyo; HSDPA+ will have to wait for the official update!

There is a mobilesyrup article you may google which states Rogers intends to roll out an update piror to the end of the year.

Those of you that are brave may want to flash the GB KDZ (you can akways go back to Froyo quite easily if it does not work). Otherwise, the update appears to be expected in a few weeks!

In the meantime I am enjoying the use of Acurom! :D

Thank you, Audi.

FZRaceR

Oct 27, 2011
SO glad to see other P925G users...

Hi, I am in Australia, Brisbane and also have a Rogers P925G. I grabbed it over the 920 as it supports our Telstra Nextg network here. It has amazing speed and coverage. Well at least it did until I put GB on it using the 21a_00.kdz that I think we are all using and now instead of the 4G icon in the network status I get 3G and sometimes H but the signal strength has dropped away to less than half or worse everywhere.

My guess is that the GB build is not using the proper radios for NextG. 850Mhz I think from memory but I am pretty sure the phone must be using the 2100Mhz network only. The upgrade to GB has impressed me but I want to go back to froyo network speeds.

You say here that it is easy to get the rogers software back on there but I have had no luck at all, not through the update tool, through PC Suite, through trying to unbrick it because it was bricked for a bit too until I found the recovery mechanism..

My question I guess is... Is there a way to get GB to recognize the correct radio hardware with the 21v_00.kdz build and if not, how the heck do I get it back to the original firmware please... I am struggling and would really love some help.

Am stoked with the 925 though and have since also found a cheap second hand unlocked 920. It went to GB on optus no worries. It interestingly gives me the very same signal strength with a nextg sim and that is why I think the 850 radio is just not being used.

FZRaceR

Oct 27, 2011
Might have found something

In my quest to get radios working on correct frequencies I found a post here that talked about hidden menus. One of them ... 3845#*920# punched into the phone gives you the ability to play with the bandwidth settings radios etc.

I set mine to wCDMA 850 and have been much happier since ;)

Hope it gives food for thought...

Reactions: j_mullet

j_mullet

Jul 23, 2011
In my quest to get radios working on correct frequencies I found a post here that talked about hidden menus. One of them ... 3845#*920# punched into the phone gives you the ability to play with the bandwidth settings radios etc.

Thanks so much. I have had no luck with this phone since I've gotten it, and that really helped increase the network speeds I've been getting. now I just need to figure out how to get signal on custom roms, and find and flash a radio file for this thing.

0space_monkey0

Feb 26, 2011
Detroit, MI
contentzero.tv

i have been playing around with that.

GSM 850 gives me FULL edge service. the bar has not even dipped...

WCDMA i put between 850/1900 and saw little difference.

salsadoom

Nov 2, 2010
Saskatoon
Just for fun I emailed rogers support about the update to this phone. Hilarious, these guys :)

My first reply was..

"Unfortunately we are unaware when new products and services will be
released until they are launched to the consumer market. We suggest you
visit www.rogers.com/telephones because when new products are released
they are listed here."

Huh? Thats not even the same question I asked! They didn't even so much as read it :p Awesome guys. But hey, maybe I just got a dummy. So I replied and said something along the lines of "No, not a new phone, just an update you promised me when I bought it." and I got another reply!

"I have provided you with a link to find the answer to the Gingerbread Update you are inquiring about: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t...id/Android/message-id/954/highlight/true#M954. "

Oh, progress! Oh wait, no. Thats for a Nexus One -- another phone entirely. Again, they didn't even bother to read the question.

But apparently I'm a valued customer :)

A forum post I found on that same forum contained this troubling post though,

Just spoke with LG briefly, I was told that we will NOT be getting the GingerBread update at all. Instead they are skipping it and we will be getting ICS instead. He would not disclose any sort of time frame for the update though.

Thats kind of annoying if its true -- p920 and p925 are pretty damn similiar phones except for the radio... whats the big deal here anyway, I don't quite get why getting an update out for this phone is such a pain in the ass.

Cheers!

j_mullet

Jul 23, 2011
Well I am assuming that most of you posting in here are on rogers. I am on Fido, and I am wondering if any of you have gotten any roms workning on this phone other than stock? What's the difference between 925 and 925g? Why do I only get one bar when I switch up roms? Is there no way to extract our radio file to zip, flash a custom rom, then reflash rogers radio? I came from a nexus s, then an xperia play both of which are very customizable. This phone seems to be a nightmare, I wonder if this is a mistake getting this thing and I've only had it 3 or 4 days.

Sent from my LG-P925g using Tapatalk

salsadoom

Nov 2, 2010
Saskatoon
Well. If you've only had it a few days I'd return it and get a phone with better support. There are only two optimus 3d's, P920 and P925G, though. I just leave the 'g' off because its a bit redundent :p

Seriously though, the hardware is great, and the software would be fine with the carriers didn't treat their customers like crap. LG has the damn firmware apparently, too bad we'll never see it.

As much as I like the hardware, I'd return it if I could for something that works with Gingerbread, a lot of cool apps require it now and we're left out. My banking software requires GB *for some reason* and Onlive looks pretty cool...

Trekfan422991

Dec 1, 2009
wix.com
Well. If you've only had it a few days I'd return it and get a phone with better support. There are only two optimus 3d's, P920 and P925G, though. I just leave the 'g' off because its a bit redundent :p

Seriously though, the hardware is great, and the software would be fine with the carriers didn't treat their customers like crap. LG has the damn firmware apparently, too bad we'll never see it.

As much as I like the hardware, I'd return it if I could for something that works with Gingerbread, a lot of cool apps require it now and we're left out. My banking software requires GB *for some reason* and Onlive looks pretty cool...

you should try cm7 and onlive is cool but you need a decent net connection. otherwise the video quality isnt good

Sent from my LG Thrill 4G...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cheers

Might have found something

i got the weirdest thing happening to my o3d. Im with rogers and for the past week my pc suite will tell me i can update my mobile....then sends me to mobile tool and it will then tell me my phone is up to date without updating. Once it got past that part but then told me on the firmware installation is already up to date. Still keeps telling me i need to update but then that im already up to date.

Havent put custom rom in it yet after hearing probs with rogers versions.
    Successfullu updated to 2.3.5

Hi all,

Hope this helps but basically all I did to get update to go thru was to go to lg.com instead of lg.ca to force the update to go through the american version. Going through lg.ca would not allow me to update even though it stated there was an update available. lg.com however....no issues...

Simply went to lg.com, mobile phones, chose my phone, support tab, PC Sync, Drivers &Software Update on the right, chose software update button and followed steps to install update software.

Now 2.3.5 with no modding, rooting, no wifi or 4g issues or 3d issues...