[Flashable] CWM Flash-Counter Reset SGH-T989D (Telus) and SGH-T989 (Tmo)

Search This thread

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
What is a the Odin/Flash counter?
Many users call this by three different names, Odin counter, Flash counter, or the Download Counter ( Most Common). This counter appears when the device is in download mode. When you use Odin, or anything else to flash a non Samsung Kernel to the device, this counter will change from "NO" to a number, depending on how many times you flash a kernel using this method will depend on what your counter says.

Why should I care about this?
Normally you wouldn't have to care, however If you have to return your device to Samsung or the carrier. Their technicians are now trained to check this download counter and if it says ANYTHING but "NO" your warranty will be voided, they will either return the device unfixed to you or send you an invoice for the repairs.

My device is fine, is there any advantage to clearing the download counter?
If you have a custom recovery flashed, and are confident you will not be using download mode to flash a non Samsung kernel, I say YES. In the event your device becomes damaged and you are unable to flash it. You will have the confidence of sending it back knowing that the Counter reports "NO" so there is less of a chance that the device will be rejected for repair under warranty.

Is this dangerous?
In a perfect world things never go wrong, but our world is not perfect clearly. You are flashing a boot-loader, specifically the SBL1 (secondary boot-loader #1). You should not ever have an issue flashing this. But In the event your battery dies while flashing this or the zip file becomes corrupt. YOU WILL BRICK. This is not designed to let you reset your counter 100 times, each time you reset the counter, you play with fire. Too many times, and you get burnt. CHECK THE MD5sum! Don't be a fool.

How do i check my counter?
Power your device off, hold Vol Down and turn the device on, keep holding the Vol button until you see download mode appear. Press Vol Up to bypass the warning and your "Custom binary" counter will be the second line, it should say "NO" if you are clean and warranty intact, it will contain a number if not.

Ahhhhhhhh... I get it, so what's this flashable zip do again?
It resets your counter from a numbered value to "NO"

Get the Flash Counter Reset CWM Flashable Zip
Fear not, they have been tested.

Telus T989D
HERE
md5: 7230923eedcdb8268d6d951089eebc7c flash_counter_reset_Telus_SGH-T989D.zi

Tmo T989
HERE
md5: 3e117d2c5b290fb3f5d6f4ca01ac2691 flash_counter_reset_Tmo_SGH-T989.zip

Last edited:

tennandcoz1

Feb 28, 2011
Just dumped my untainted SBL1 and then triggered my flash counter. I have successfully reset it by flashing my SBL1 dump back to my device.

I can make one for the Tmobile SGH-T989 if some one cares to dump an untainted sbl1

HERE

MD5 12978ff91f3682bdbad66a08e4295529 flash_counter_reset_Telsu_SGH-T989D.zip

Welcome back.thanks,a TMobile version would be great.

FROM A GALAXY BETTER THAN YOURS.

Reactions: syzoogle

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
I assume i need some one who has not triggered their counter to dump the t989 sbl1 for me.

Id like to do a binary compare of a triggered and un triggered one as well. I cant trip mine again because im expecting a conf call with the boss shortly.

any one who wanst to dump their sbl1 off the tmo t989 do

adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 of=/sdcard/sbl1.mbn

then attach the sbl1.mbn for me. also don't forget to tell me if your counter is tripped and how many times it has been tripped.

monkeypaws

Feb 19, 2012
Ill check but i thijk i might have a counter of one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Ill check but i thijk i might have a counter of one.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA

I'll take the dump any way and make you a flashable zip, you can flash it back and see if it still achieves a reset.

Did a compare of my untainted sbl1 to a tainted one. the counter is at the very tail end of the sbl. i may even be able to just reset yours in your sbl dump IF no one here has a tmobile T989 with an untainted counter.

Last edited:

Octane70

Dec 26, 2010
Okanagan
X,

Just a quick question. The .zip in the OP can either be flashed through Clock Work Mod Recovery or Odin, Correct?

Thanks

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
Made a flashable zip and posted it in the first post. now all we need is a tmo user to flash and make sure it resets their counter as my tests have concluded for my telus device.

Reactions: parusia

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
You're welcome. i had thought about this a while back and just never got around to testing it until a user posted a thread about a user making them for the skyrocket kids.

You could also brick your device flashing junk to the sbl1 block, but that would be unethical for warranty purposes wouldn't it :p

Reactions: androidtoy09

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
Thanks for this? Quick question is the only benefit to this for insurance purposes or would this benefit the device by cleaning partitions or the counter and such? Sorry if noobish question lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

-Mr. X-

Apr 13, 2007
Ontario
The counter is only for warranty purposes. so unless you have to send it back, clearing the counter serves no purpose unless you have OCD like me.

Reactions: bbobarino

Teo032

Apr 6, 2011
California
Get your phone into Odin Mode. Power it off, remove battery, place battery again, pres Volume up+down and press the power button. keep Vol Up +down pressed until you are in Download mode

you left out that he needs to be connected to the computer. easiest way is to hold the vol buttons and connect the micro usb cable to your phone..should be connected to your computer

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Reactions: dachinaman

yoft1

Feb 15, 2012
Noob question. How do I check my counter

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium

Once you've followed the above instructions to get into download mode, you'll see 2 lines that say whether you have a custom binary installed and your current binary. If it says "NO" to custom binary and "Samsung" to current binary installed, your counter is 0. Otherwise it will show the number your counter is at.

Reactions: dachinaman

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is a the Odin/Flash counter?
    Many users call this by three different names, Odin counter, Flash counter, or the Download Counter ( Most Common). This counter appears when the device is in download mode. When you use Odin, or anything else to flash a non Samsung Kernel to the device, this counter will change from "NO" to a number, depending on how many times you flash a kernel using this method will depend on what your counter says.

Why should I care about this?
    Normally you wouldn't have to care, however If you have to return your device to Samsung or the carrier. Their technicians are now trained to check this download counter and if it says ANYTHING but "NO" your warranty will be voided, they will either return the device unfixed to you or send you an invoice for the repairs.

My device is fine, is there any advantage to clearing the download counter?
    If you have a custom recovery flashed, and are confident you will not be using download mode to flash a non Samsung kernel, I say YES. In the event your device becomes damaged and you are unable to flash it. You will have the confidence of sending it back knowing that the Counter reports "NO" so there is less of a chance that the device will be rejected for repair under warranty.

Is this dangerous?
    In a perfect world things never go wrong, but our world is not perfect clearly. You are flashing a boot-loader, specifically the SBL1 (secondary boot-loader #1). You should not ever have an issue flashing this. But In the event your battery dies while flashing this or the zip file becomes corrupt. YOU WILL BRICK. This is not designed to let you reset your counter 100 times, each time you reset the counter, you play with fire. Too many times, and you get burnt. CHECK THE MD5sum! Don't be a fool.

How do i check my counter?
    Power your device off, hold Vol Down and turn the device on, keep holding the Vol button until you see download mode appear. Press Vol Up to bypass the warning and your "Custom binary" counter will be the second line, it should say "NO" if you are clean and warranty intact, it will contain a number if not.

Ahhhhhhhh... I get it, so what's this flashable zip do again?
    It resets your counter from a numbered value to "NO"

Fear not, they have been tested.

Telus T989D
    HERE
    md5: 7230923eedcdb8268d6d951089eebc7c flash_counter_reset_Telus_SGH-T989D.zi

Tmo T989
    HERE
    md5: 3e117d2c5b290fb3f5d6f4ca01ac2691 flash_counter_reset_Tmo_SGH-T989.zip
    Sent from my T989 using Jedi mind tricks

Awesome, thanks. I downloaded both so that I can re-host them on a reliable mirror in the event that that one goes down.
    Just so everyone knows, you can mount this partition using rootexplorer and edit the 1 to a 0.

Booting into download mode will confirm it has been reset & gives you the new setup screen again..
    Just CWM, its not an odin tar.
    Found this link that is still working. Download it while you still can.

http://ftp.androidfilehost.com/mrx/

The Telus T989D counter reset also works on Koodo T989D