[REF] 1 STOP> | ROMS | KERNELS | FIRMWARE | RECOVERIES | RADIOS | HOWTO's | &MORE

Search This thread

netarc

Nov 6, 2011
ROM pros/cons

Really useful thread, thanks - having followed your excellent guides detailing how to install a custom recovery & then root the phone, my next step was to consider a custom ROM. I chanced upon this guide today, really timely - thanks again for your efforts to consolidate information!

One thing that'd be quite useful is how the various ROMs (ICS in particular) stack up - which are more commonly in use, the pros/cons of one against another, etc.

Unless I'm mistaken, from my perusal of XDA threads over the past few weeks it looks like the following ROMs are most popular? ... Ski-ICS, CM9, Chimera, UCLF6, UCLF5, Alien ICS

My primary reasons for a custom ROM are: a) to increase battery life and b) support for wifi tethering. Other than that, I'd like to retain much of the stock Samsung functionality (TouchWiz, no big interface changes, etc) - that in mind, any suggestions on which subset of the ROMs to consider?

vincom

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Skyics, if it says cm aokp or aosp its ususlly googles stock customized, goto first link in my sig there you will c all current roms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: netarc

netarc

Nov 6, 2011
Skyics, if it says cm aokp or aosp its ususlly googles stock customized

Thanks ... so the "SKY-ICS 4.2F6-2.3 UCLF6 BASE AT&T OFFICIAL ICS..PROJECT MARGARINE" is likely the best place to start?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but installing a custom ROM means you LOSE all information, correct? Apps/contacts/config/etc ... poof, back to clean config?

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
You would see a lot of angry users posting in that rom thread and it would be deleted by mod

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mellonman64

netarc

Nov 6, 2011
You would see a lot of angry users posting in that rom thread and it would be deleted by mod

If there was overtly malicious stuff going on, of course; but if a hacker worth his salt embeds background code to monitor/phone-home/what have you, it's not going to show up to a typical user. One woudl have to go to the effort of background process analysis, perhaps even sniffing the network, to detect any nefarious activity.

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Last edited:

netarc

Nov 6, 2011
If you are that worried then stay stock

Not worried ... say more, concerned. Imho, in this day and age, the act of blindly installing or running software one downloads from the 'net - without asking a few questions or doing some research into the software or its provider - is an irresponsible act.One needs to be as aware as possible of what one is executing/installing/etc and its source(s) before proceeding.

I'd be really surprised (and then worried) if I am the only person thinking this way. That's why I'd asked the question re: vetting, figuring that other 'worriers' like myself may have a resource to consult re: the legitimacy of any given custom ROM. Granted, the primary resource is users' feedback on XDA forums re: the reliability and functionality of said custom ROMs, but as I mentioned above, the run of the mill user isn't going to be doing any deep dives into a given ROM to check out its underbelly ;)

Nevertheless, I think my question is answered - judging from your response there doesn't appear to be a central resource for this type of vetting of ROMs ... so it boils down to caveat emptor :eek:

EDIT: a handful of resources on this topic, fwiw

The Security Implications of Custom Android ROMs

Security Alert: Malware Found Targeting Custom ROMs (jSMSHider)

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Skyics, if it says cm aokp or aosp its ususlly googles stock customized, goto first link in my sig there you will c all current roms

Oh, one thing that'd be useful in the main thread is what common acronyms mean ... e.g., CM is pretty obviously CyanogenMod (though I doubt all noobs will know this); but even after reading various threads on XDA for the past few months I'm not aware of what terms like AOKP, AOSP, etc, mean.

Last edited:

wantowan2

Mar 24, 2012
Toronto
Cymbaline 1.5 is still misspelled/posted. There is an unofficial 1.6 floating around that thread that has bin removed. Cymbaline Dev1.6 ==> http://d-h.st/A2j

I would hope that you would keep things like Cymbaline on your list. Still one of the best kernels offered for ICS. Mohan seems to be the only one with a viable OC kernal here! lol

I like how you have stuff ordered as to update, date. Smart

Last edited:

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Cymbaline 1.5 is still misspelled/posted. There is an unofficial 1.6 floating around that thread that has bin removed. Cymbaline Dev1.6 ==> http://d-h.st/A2j

I would hope that you would keep things like Cymbaline on your list. Still one of the best kernels offered for ICS. Mohan seems to be the only one with a viable OC kernal here! lol

I like how you have stuff ordered as to update, date. Smart
its the way the copy paste worked on the symbols used by mohan on his title, its should like an infinity symbol, i'll just take them out, thanks for the heads up on the 1.6 but is there a thread for it because i couldnt find it

wantowan2

Mar 24, 2012
Toronto
its the way the copy paste worked on the symbols used by mohan on his title, its should like an infinity symbol, i'll just take them out, thanks for the heads up on the 1.6 but is there a thread for it because i couldnt find it

The 1.6 was a mid thread addition that never made it to the OP for 1.5 as an update. That's why I guess it had dev in the name? ....anyway, I believe it has bin removed to see if it helped 1or2 peeps out with battery. Mohen left all of a sudden. Something about work....

EDIT: This is the link/post where mohen posted 1.6 in cymbaline 1.5 thread ==>http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=28865552&postcount=337

Last edited:
Reactions: vincom

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
Great job Vincom!
Is there a better radio for rogers than the UXLF3? I flashed the cm9 nightly yesterday & I don't know if it's rogers network that's having a problem (again) today, but I can't get LTE, so I was thinking about flashing UXLF3 unless you have a better recommendation? And I don't know which radio came with the cm9 nightly?
My apn settings are correct & I have LTE enabled in Settings.
Thanks!

Sent from Down The Rabbit Hole.

Last edited:

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK

This is almost certainly a dumb question, but will that radio work with cm9 (pretty sure that the answer is yes) & can I flash that with TWRP (again pretty sure that the answer is yes) and finally do you have a link for it?
Where I was getting LTE yesterday, I'm either getting 3G, H or no connection at all...
And Thanks!

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
This is almost certainly a dumb question, but will that radio work with cm9 (pretty sure that the answer is yes) & can I flash that with TWRP (again pretty sure that the answer is yes) and finally do you have a link for it?
Where I was getting LTE yesterday, I'm either getting 3G, H or no connection at all...
And Thanks!

yes, yes, in the radio section in the op

Reactions: shaggyskunk

vincom

May 5, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Ok Thanks, & that's the one that you're using with good results?
Seriously, whichever radio is part of the cm9 nightlies, is definitely not working well for me. Yesterday, LTE & today lucky to stay connected....

im actually on skyics with att radio, in the the first link in the radio section mohan has all the ics radios, leaked and official, you good try any ics radio to see which one is good for you

edit: flash radio a couple of times to make sure it overwrites the old radio

Last edited:

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
im actually on skyics with att radio, in the the first link in the radio section mohan has all the ics radios, leaked and official, you good try any ics radio to see which one is good for you

Ok. What's the deal about the *#2263#, from what I can tell it's something that you need to do to get LTE?

Top Liked Posts