Sound crackling/distortion with certain headphones?

Search This thread

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
So I purchased this phone on Thursday last week, by Friday was already upset given the crackling/distortion I was experiencing with my UE headphones. I went through a bit with my carrier and Samsung, with the intention of trying to get a DOA replacement given it was brand new.

Fast forward to Monday morning, after subsequent calls with Samsung and my carrier plus visiting a Samsung repair centre (who said they could fix the problem but encouraged me to get a replacement given the phone was brand new - which was also my preference) - and I manage to stumble across this forum - feeling most disappointed that it seems to be a hardware fault with the phone and not something that will go away from being replaced (maybe fixed by Samsung but who wants to get a brand new phone put into service, really sours the whole experience).....anyway, my carrier eventually calls me back later this morning and advises that they will replace my handset. I get a new handset, althought I don't have high hopes of the crackling/distortion going away.

Low and behold, my UE headphones work perfectly in the new headset, no crackle/distortion at all, which makes it difficult to believe it is an impedance issue as you would expect to see all effected headphone act the same way across all S4s, although I also believe OP did mention a display model that didn’t have this issue either.

Nonetheless, I thought it would be good to share that the replacement headset doesn’t have the problem, if you are like me and notice this within the first 7 or 14 days (depending on your carriers policy), take it back as a DOA headset and get a replacement on the spot!!
Which carrier did you go to? I went SingTel and they 1-1 me the first time but the replacement unit had the same problem and they said they were out of stock. But now my 7 day 1-1 period is over :/

provokedone

May 6, 2013
Just posting here to mention I'm also having problems with my FXZ100s. Very audible crackle and popping at medium to high volumes. My Vsonic GR07s are fine however. This problem is extremely frustrating.

What's also confusing is my wife's s4 exhibits the same issue, however not add bad as mine.

I'm also from Melbourne and might stop by jaben audio to try that online amp.

mo_mail

Aug 31, 2010
Singapore
Which carrier did you go to? I went SingTel and they 1-1 me the first time but the replacement unit had the same problem and they said they were out of stock. But now my 7 day 1-1 period is over :/

If they have 1-1 you on a phone and the new one has the same problem, surely you can get another.

I dont understand why anyone can sell you a faulty product and then make you go and get it repaired. Not like any other business operates that way.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

if i bought it off the shelf then how to 1 to 1 exchange?

Off the shelf should be the same, nonetheless it depends on what country you purchased the phone and what their consumer/retail rights/laws are like.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
If they have 1-1 you on a phone and the new one has the same problem, surely you can get another.

I dont understand why anyone can sell you a faulty product and then make you go and get it repaired. Not like any other business operates that way.

They had no stock for the Black version, or so they claimed. And they said it's a 'third-party accessory'. Oh well. Samsung better do a good job repairing it anyway.

mo_mail

Aug 31, 2010
Singapore
They had no stock for the Black version, or so they claimed. And they said it's a 'third-party accessory'. Oh well. Samsung better do a good job repairing it anyway.

I must correct for this Forum, mine exhibits very mild distortion when at maximum volume, if I turn down to 14 it goes away.

Conclusion is that I am lucky my replacement doesn't do it as bad as the first handset.

Perhaps I just need to invest in different headphones, given a new phone will cost me more.

Disappointing that the DAC/Audio is so crap on the S4

RealEvil_UK

Jun 3, 2011
My S4 has same issue - crackling, distorted audio in my Car (a BMW X5 from late 2007) and with my new Sony XBA-30iP headphones. I am getting a refund, this is beyond pathetic and has made me really angry. Otherwise its a nice phone.

RealEvil_UK

Jun 3, 2011
Something slightly interesting.

In my car I had worse crackling than via the XBA-30iP headphones. Its not a after market system - its the inbuilt BMW system with a Aux port built into the glovebox which works with other phones.

I just bought a "Ground Loop isolating" cable and it fixed the issue in the car. No crackles, noises etc at any volume.

Problem still persists with my XBA headphones but I have now also tested the following and they work:

Klipsxh X10i
Dr Dre Studio

Both work fine... weird.

Last edited:

olaf63

Mar 25, 2007
I have too the crackling problem with my new italian S4 black using my Sennheiser CX300. The earbuds that came with the phone work fine but not as loud. Now I don't know what to do, if retourning the phone for a replacement or buy a new earbud with the risk of finding a new incompatible.

tango280581

Mar 31, 2011
sutton in ashfield
I have too the crackling problem with my new italian S4 black using my Sennheiser CX300. The earbuds that came with the phone work fine but not as loud. Now I don't know what to do, if retourning the phone for a replacement or buy a new earbud with the risk of finding a new incompatible.
It seems to be a widespread issue so I dont think a handset replacement will make a difference but until we find out exactly what the issue is I wouldnt go forking out for some new buds.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

trza2k

Jun 8, 2012
Well i didn't have much hope in Samsung fixing the issue so bought some rockit sounds r-50's which don't have any issues.

olaf63

Mar 25, 2007
It seems to be a widespread issue so I dont think a handset replacement will make a difference but until we find out exactly what the issue is I wouldnt go forking out for some new buds.

Well, also a replacement is risky as QC is very unstable nowadays. But i'll do a run to the shop, let's see what goes on.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
A friend of mine got back his phone today from the service centre for the same issue. They 'upgraded' the software and replaced the earphone jack but the problem persists.

The positive is that the manager told him that Samsung is 'aware of the problem'. But whether they will actually do anything about it, I guess that remains to be seen...

BTW, it seems that on certain demo units this problem isn't apparent. Could be a production issue.

cosinav

Oct 25, 2012
Hong Kong
I'm sure samsung's aware of the issue but its a matter of whether they will want to come out in the open and admit the problem. If they do, then a recall and replacement on affected handsets will cost them a fortune and also screw up the whole flagship's reputation. I think we need the media to push them, i might just go and have a chat with some of my friend in the business.

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
I'm sure samsung's aware of the issue but its a matter of whether they will want to come out in the open and admit the problem. If they do, then a recall and replacement on affected handsets will cost them a fortune and also screw up the whole flagship's reputation. I think we need the media to push them, i might just go and have a chat with some of my friend in the business.

It would be great if you could do that. I could supply information about what I think to be the problem too.

So far I've asked GSMArena, Neowin and AnandTech but disappointingly I've received no replies from them at all.

Reactions: rc0310

donovan2123

Nov 7, 2010
Im also having issues when using my Soundmagic E10 headphones which are fine on computer and other devies including HS3000 bluetooth connected to s4. But when connected directly via aux port it crackles and distorts.

I spoke to vodafone who agreed to do a swap however there was no black in stock so i went for white instead. The issue is still present on replacment handset although not as bad as it was on first handset.

I also think it may be a powering issue as if you install power amp app then play a song when volume is at max crackle is there but if you fade to either left or right side channel via app crackle completly goes.

Im in two minds if i should send back for 3rd replacment(risk it being worse) or maybe buy new headphones(which could have same issue).

Im hoping its firmware issue but im not holding out much hope for samsung to fix issue.

rc0310

Apr 29, 2013
I am having crackling/static noise with my JVC HA-FXZ200 too..

Tried my friend's GS4 and the crackling is still there. .

Thinking of letting more tech sites know about this problem so that Samsung would solve thr problem

I called Samsung Canada support and ask for a solution. They told me to use Samsung headphones and that some headphones might not be compatible..

That is just like Apple saying "you are holding it wrong" !!!

kevlarman

Jun 21, 2011
Is there perhaps a standard test tone and procedure to see if we are experiencing the issue?

My Korean 9505 does not seem to exhibit any crackling with any headphones I plug into it (Sennheiser CX500, MM450 in wired mode, etc).

trenzterra

Dec 5, 2010
I think you could try playing a bass-heavy track. Standard test tones don't seem to work that well; I believe the problem is when there is a change in frequencies.

If you have PowerAMP, try turning the bass control slider to the max, you will most definitely experience the crackling if you're facing the issue.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FYI

Hi People...

I just wanted to let you know about my research... I'm a GS3 owner (Qualcomm DAC)... this problem is largely related to the Qualcomm DACs more then the phone...

The reports that the GS3 (Qualcomm DAC) are unaffected are true but only because the GS3 ships with the 3.0 kernels not 3.4... when I rooted my GS3 and installed a ROM with the newer 3.4 kernel I have major crackling/distortion using my sony XBA-4 at 60% volume or more. Going back to the 3.0 kernel... 100% crystal clear sound.

There were major changes to the codecs and drivers in the kernel... I'm tying to make a 3.4 kernel but backport the 3.0 drivers for the GS3 so I can run android 4.2+

Someone with a GS4(Qualcomm DAC) and some kernel knowledge should try and do the same... I have proof that it's the kernel that made this problem much worse then the 3.0 kernels.
    Anyone know where I can get a cheap impedance adapter from? im cracking up without mi tunes lol.

I'm working on it. I've contacted a guy on eBay who says that he's received all of the parts, and he's making and testing right now. If they work, I'll let all of you know.
    S4 Crackle/Instability is Fixed!

I have completed my tests on the new update for the SGH-I337 version:
    S4_UpdatedFirmware.jpg

I can confirm that the crackle instability is completely absent now. Tests were done at 250 Hz and 1kHz with 4.7, 10 and 33 ohm headphone loads at all volume levels and digital levels from zero to 15/15 volume using default Samsung Music player with no EQ.

The maximum output level for full digital volume is identical to that before the update: 0.88 Vpeak ( 0.62Vrms). The frequency response is also identical to before-update so absolutely nothing was tweaked in the frequency response. The background noise level (during playback) is ~ 3uVrms in 20 kHz BW so is really dead quiet, even for very high-sensitivity phones and identical to before-update value providing an amazing S/N of ~ 106 dB. Distortion characteristics are also unchanged. In a nutshell, all headphone audio characteristics I've measured with the new update are identical to those before the update as discussed here except that the buzz/crackle instability is gone! Note that, just as before (and as measured and discussed in the page above) the distortion characteristics WILL increase as the headphone impedance is lowered but this is normal. How noticeable is this distortion? Listening with my Senn HD598 (50ohm) with PARALLEL resistors of 10 ohm (or 4.7ohm) to deliberately increase harmonic and intermodulation distortions produced no detectable sound difference to my ears playing jazz and pop! In this case, simulating very low impedance iems, the distortions would be above 0.1%. No crackle, no buzz, no noticeable deteroriation in audio that I could perceive.

How much power will the S4 provide to drive headphones?
    100 ohm phones: 4mW max
    33 ohm phones: 11 mW max
    10 ohm phones: 32 mW max

The most severe test was driving a 100% digital amplitude sine wave at 15/15 vol into 4.7 ohm loads. This just starts to show fizzie artifacts at the very bottom of the sine-wave and is definitely showing the current limit at a pretty amazing ~ 150mA peak.

So all thumbs and toes up to Samsung for fixing this problem! Would be great to know what was actually done to fix the crackle but I suspect we'll never know.
    So if it works with the adapter, in what way will it affect the sound of my earphones?
    And I've only seen a 50ohm one as the lowest on ebay... Where can I get a 15-22ohm?

I'm no expert on this, but here is my take:
    - my SGH-I337 (similar to i9505) has an internal "output impedance" of ~ 2.5 ohm (measured)
    - high-quality headphones, particularly balanced armatures ones, from what I've seen have quite a variable impedance as a function of frequency which shapes the sound by the headphone designer
    - the best scenario is that the output impedance driving these headphones is very LOW so that the internal audio sound of the S4 is exactly what the headphones are getting. This will happen if the output impedance is very low (typically < 1/10) compared to the minimum headphone impedance

- if you ADD series resistance using a resistive adapter, you modify the frequency-dependent output signal (an unintended EQ effect) across these types of headphones and therefore color the sound. This is not so much a problem with dynamic headphones where the impedance vs frequency tends to be much flatter so added series resistance just drops the level at all frequencies uniformly without significant tonal coloration

This is why it is always better to add an external headphone amp ... they "buffer" (don't load down) the phone's headphone output, and they are designed to typically have an output impedance of < 1 ohm (and the lower the better). Designing this type of amp, with very low output impedance capable of driving headphone (say ~ 8 ohm) with very low distortion is difficult and requires very good audio design experience.

Since the S4 output inpedance is ~ 2.5 ohm, that is a VERY good match for stock earbuds at ~ 35 ohm or an extremely good match for my Senn HD598 (at nominal 50 ohm). For headphone impedances that vary with frequency and with Z(nominal) < 20 ohm, there will be tone shaping, and even more with the added series resistance of an impedance adapter.

If you get a resistive adapter, the amount of tone coloration you get will depend on what your headphone impedance looks like vs frequency. You should therefore pick the MINIMUM possible resistance value that eliminates the buzz. However the subtle "tone coloration" of a resistive adapter will probably be completely acceptable to most listeners compared to that garbage oscillation problem.

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

Just a reminder: here is the link to several S4 articles I've written, include one on the audio problem:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    I will be adding an article shortly on the different audio test .wav files I've mentioned here.
    Since most of the articles are reasonably complementary to Samsung's S4 features, I can't imagine that Samsung would consider me to be a proverbial sh!t disturber :D
    Coming soon: FiiO E17 vs S4 vs QuadBuffer headphone audio

I just received a FiiO E17 DAC/headphone amp. I'm going to do some RMAA and audio clipping measurements on the FiiO headphone output using the digital SPDIF input (for say 16 ohm loads) and see how it compares with the direct headphone out of the S4 and with the S4 into the E17 analog-input and then into 16 ohm. Oh yes, I'll also include the QuadBuffer amp (which is just a high-performance amp, not a DAC) I designed. Stay tuned!

First Impressions:
    I tested the E17 for an output level of ~ 0.9Vpeak, so comparable level to max. output of the S4 phone.
    After testing the analog chain using the Line-In (bottom), and the DAC/analog chain using the Optical SPDIF in and USB playback, I find that:
    - the best audio performance is obtained using the Line-In
    - next best is the SPDIF input (which as expected has the lowest crosstalk)
    - surprisingly the USB playback has the poorer audio performance. The THD is still low but the other type of distortion (IMD) is a lot higher.

Line-In testing results were almost identical with open headphone-out load and with 15 ohm loads (the E17 is only supported down to 16 ohm headphones). With open load (actually into 3 kohm), the performance is extremely good and so this functions perfectly well as a standard "line out" .... no need to use the doc line-out adapter really.

More results to come in combination with the S4

Chart below shows RMAA audio performance results (from Left to Right) with:

S4 connected directly to 22 ohm headphone loads
    S4 connected to Line-In of FiiO E17 with E17 output loaded with 22 ohm loads
    S4 connected to Line-In of QuadBuffer Amp with QuadBuff loaded with 22 ohm loads

Results are for a signal level roughly equal to the maximum possible output level of the S4 (~ 0.8Vpeak).
    The big improvement in THD (total harmonic distortion) is evident with a separate headphone amp. The QuadBuffer is marginally better than the E17 in distortion and noise but much better in crosstalk. However the E17 can deliver up to ~ 3.3Vpeak output level and can therefore drive higher headphone impedances well (up to ~ 300 ohm according to specs):
    S4_FiiO_QuadBuff.jpg