Problems with /data and unintentional encryption

Search This thread

lightrapid

Sep 21, 2010
Hey xda mates,

I'm having a huge problem at the moment with my HTC M8 (from T-Mobile if that may help). I may have accidentally "bricked" my phone because of an error of misclicking when trying to install a new ROM and restore my settings. Something weird must have occurred after trying to restore my Device ID using Titanium Backup. After doing a suggested reboot, my phone locked itself up and seemed to have encrypted the storage, asking me for a password to unencrypt the phone. I've tried factory resetting my phone however I have huge issues when trying to reset everything.

Despite going into PhilZ's Recovery and trying to clean up all the previous data, I cannot properly accomplish it because my /data partition seems to be locked or unavailable. When specifically trying to Format /data in Recovery, it gives me an error that it cannot be mounted or accessed. I've tried installing another ROM and formatting again but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this issue?

I would really appreciate any help or tips you guys can give me!

Last edited:

lightrapid

Sep 21, 2010
This happened to me yesterday running CM11. I followed the instructions in the below post and they allowed me to get my phone back to a functional state, albeit losing everything since my last backup.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52961209&postcount=682&nocache=1&z=2188268828464220

I ended up sideloading KANGAKAT and it's been great.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2709097

Good luck!

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! It has worked as directed, took me a bit longer because I didn't follow the directions as is. For those of you who may also face this problem I've copied the directions down below formatted a bit more cleanly.

[with credit to user pjim]
Use the HTC Tool Kit from here. You may already have it installed because this is how you likely rooted your phone.

1: Go into Recovery and Format system.
2: Still in recovery, go to "Install Zip" then choose "Install zip from sideload"
3: Use the Toolkit to flash a ROM that could be smaller than 900mb by going into the "ADB" button and then choosing a ROM from the File Path, then clicking "Sideload"
4: Once it's finished installing, let it boot, and let your phone boot into the password screen as well.
5: Power back down and then go back into Recovery.
6: Go to the "Mounts and Storage Menu," scroll down and then select "format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)"
7: Reboot into a new clean phone.

Extra note: Make sure you always back-up your data in case of problems that arise like this! Although I have a feeling that this may have also arisen as a result of having S-ON, so maybe doing S-OFF should prevent this, though I could be wrong.

Last edited:

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! It has worked as directed, took me a bit longer because I didn't follow the directions as is. For those of you who may also face this problem I've copied the directions down below formatted a bit more cleanly.

[with credit to user pjim]
Use the HTC Tool Kit from here. You may already have it installed because this is how you likely rooted your phone.

1: Go into Recovery and Format system.
2: Still in recovery, go to "Install Zip" then choose "Install zip from sideload"
3: Use the Toolkit to flash a ROM that could be smaller than 900mb by going into the "ADB" button and then choosing a ROM from the File Path, then clicking "Sideload"
4: Once it's finished installing, let it boot, and let your phone boot into the password screen as well.
5: Power back down and then go back into Recovery.
6: Go to the "Mounts and Storage Menu," scroll down and then select "format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)"
7: Reboot into a new clean phone.

Extra note: Make sure you always back-up your data in case of problems that arise like this! Although I have a feeling that this may have also arisen as a result of having S-ON, so maybe doing S-OFF should prevent this, though I could be wrong.

Just out of curiosity, did you flash an AOSP ROM when this encryption thing happened(As mentioned by you in first post) ? I know the second poster here did flash AOSP (Cyanogenmod)

Perhaps could have tried the suggestion in opening post here .

Oh well, good that your device works again anyways.

Top Liked Posts