Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

aburgthing

Aug 5, 2010
I hope these are really simple questions. I've been rooted sucessfully since the day after the guide was posted. Flashed new Kernal and deleted some bloatware but thats about it along with getting some extras (wi-fi tether) was all I wanted. Just wanted to know of all the files that were pushed to the SD card, can they now be removed or do they have to reside there i.e. PC36IMG, the unrevoked files, mtd-eng, Netarchy-toastmod, rageagainstthecage-arm5, the unrevoked files etc. Also did a Nandroid back up (clockwork). I see the backup folder in the clockwork folder but are the backups okay there do those files have to be on the root of the SD card to flash a recovery or are they okay where they are? Finally if in my tinkering I mess something up and need to flash back or if I want to flash a new ROM what naming convention do I use for those new files? Thanks for any responses. Been looking through this thread but haven't found answers to those specific questions.

Norwester

Jun 20, 2009
Oregon
Thanks much to the OP and all the others involved! With the instructions and vid that was much easier than I thought it'd be. Happily removing bloatware now. :cool:

hitekca

May 20, 2010
If you get "no image or wrong image" then try different SD card

I was able to get to the bootloader and it checks the file PC36IMG.zip it says its no image or wrong imaged all the way thru and goes back to the bootloader screen. HELP ME please.

I was stuck on it for 5-6 hours and read every page in this thread. Finally I was about to give up and tried my third micro sd card, sandisk 4gb. The first two were 2gb and didn't work. This one worked on the first try. I did format it to fat32 from the computer while in disk drive mode on the phone then copied the PC36IMG.zip dragging it from my downloads folder to the root of the sd card. Worked first time with the new sd card. Thanks for everyone's help.

johnboy797

Jun 20, 2010
I am still having trouble, I get all the way to where it is reading the PC36IMG after reboot bootloader then it read the file and i get an error

main version is older!
update failed!
do you want to reboot
<vol up> yes
<vol down> no

Everthing seemed to work great upto that...

EDIT: i put a 4g sdcard in and took out my 8g to see if that helped, same error.
Also every time I redo the steps I get an error when I try to flash the mtd-eng.img file that says file not found:

c:\SDK\sdk\tools>adb shell
# ./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
./flash_image: not found
# reboot bootloader

????

Last edited:

darushin

Sep 3, 2010
What's the md5 hash of your mtd-eng.img? Mine is ddf84c84b18cfab0453ca2fdd888b54e - does it match this? Could be corrupted, considering the "not writing bad block" part, although with the last line, how much internal (not sd card) storage do you have free? Go to settings->SD & phone storage. Maybe you're out of space.

My md5 matches yours and I have 200 Mb of internal storage free. Also my misc directory is as follows

# ls
ls
AK8973Prms.txt
lockscreen
systemkeys
wimax
hotspot
dhcp
screen_lock_status
wifi
bluetooth
vpn
keystore
bluetoothd
agent_htc

ChiefSpoonS

Jul 5, 2010
Statesville
Even unrevoked forever? I thought the whole idea was if you did a ota you wouldn't lose s-off.

Sent from my Fressssh Netarchy EVO using the XDA App.

Pokeemonn

Jul 9, 2010
I still can't get passed pushing to the SD, it keeps saying 0 bytes in however many seconds. I got the path, filename, directory and all that correct. I don't know much about adb but I know about computers and I am stumped.

Jul 29, 2010
Pensacola, Florida
I hope these are really simple questions. I've been rooted sucessfully since the day after the guide was posted. Flashed new Kernal and deleted some bloatware but thats about it along with getting some extras (wi-fi tether) was all I wanted. Just wanted to know of all the files that were pushed to the SD card, can they now be removed or do they have to reside there i.e. PC36IMG, the unrevoked files, mtd-eng, Netarchy-toastmod, rageagainstthecage-arm5, the unrevoked files etc. Also did a Nandroid back up (clockwork). I see the backup folder in the clockwork folder but are the backups okay there do those files have to be on the root of the SD card to flash a recovery or are they okay where they are? Finally if in my tinkering I mess something up and need to flash back or if I want to flash a new ROM what naming convention do I use for those new files? Thanks for any responses. Been looking through this thread but haven't found answers to those specific questions.
You can remove the files from your SD card they now reside in the phones internal memory. Leave the backup file (Keep 1 on your phone) in place. If something happens you can get to it to restore through Clockwork Mod. You can store the other backup from Nandroid on your computer and move them back and forth to flash new ROMS. I am not sure about the naming convention as I have not tried to flash a renamed backup. It would be useful so you could name the different files according to the ROM. I always make a clean install and immediately do a backup so the Backup is of a fresh install with no apps. Use APP Brain to reinstall all of your apps and a lot of problems will go away. Stay away from the MyBackup, Titanium and the such as these create a lot of the problems you see on the threads. Enjoy your EVO and never worry about the battery because there is a lot more of it left than you realize.

misha69

Sep 17, 2008
I am new to all this but,

I followed every step and looked at the video. I was able to root the phone and everything works great. I just dont understand how to load a new Rom. I found the 6.0.0-Supersonic.

and went to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=735596
to try and set things up. But it seems to fail everytime i try to load it. I read that my nand has to be unlocked.. should it not be after doing all this?

I just want a simple 2.2 on my evo.. none of the sprint or htc crap, and how to put the Rom on my phone. I have been searching all day, and i find random Roms.. but i just a nice simple one.

Thanks
Michael

jwwolfe77

Apr 1, 2010
New Mexico
For come reason when i do "adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/" I get permission denied. anyone have a take on that?

regaw_leinad

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.regawmod.com
I am still having trouble, I get all the way to where it is reading the PC36IMG after reboot bootloader then it read the file and i get an error

main version is older!
update failed!
do you want to reboot
<vol up> yes
<vol down> no

Everthing seemed to work great upto that...

EDIT: i put a 4g sdcard in and took out my 8g to see if that helped, same error.
Also every time I redo the steps I get an error when I try to flash the mtd-eng.img file that says file not found:

c:\SDK\sdk\tools>adb shell
# ./flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img
./flash_image: not found
# reboot bootloader

????

The main version error is because the misc flash didn't work, and as I see you are having troubles with that one. try pushing the files to the phone again, the first few commands of the guide. Looks like they aren't there. Also chmod them again.

I would recommend to EVERYONE not to skip a step when it fails.

atom_jack

Aug 20, 2010
San Francisco
I'm stuck at the hboot after typing reboot bootloader, it loads the pc36img and then says checking and returns back to the hboot screen. Help please. Doesn't ask to apply zip.
Your pc36img might be corrupt. Did you do an md5 on it and compare with the one in the OP? First time I tried it I somehow got a bad zip file (wouldn't even unzip) and the same thing happened.

johnboy797

Jun 20, 2010
The main version error is because the misc flash didn't work, and as I see you are having troubles with that one. try pushing the files to the phone again, the first few commands of the guide. Looks like they aren't there. Also chmod them again.

I would recommend to EVERYONE not to skip a step when it fails.

Im going to try again start to finish, let see how it goes.

EDIT: I finally got it.

Last edited:

Bizdady

Jul 24, 2010
I am new to all this but,

I followed every step and looked at the video. I was able to root the phone and everything works great. I just dont understand how to load a new Rom. I found the 6.0.0-Supersonic.

and went to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=735596
to try and set things up. But it seems to fail everytime i try to load it. I read that my nand has to be unlocked.. should it not be after doing all this?

I just want a simple 2.2 on my evo.. none of the sprint or htc crap, and how to put the Rom on my phone. I have been searching all day, and i find random Roms.. but i just a nice simple one.

Thanks
Michael

CM6 looks needs a diff bootoader. I had to flash Eng Bootloader 0.76 to get CM6 installed.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=752832

rhclark923

Sep 3, 2010
Syracuse, Ny
If i do this will i need a custom rom to have all the stock apps on my phone and will i still have htc sense i just want to root so i can use other apps but i don't wanna put a custom rom on it and can i got back to unrooted in case i need to make a warranty or insurance claim

Last edited:

opendave

Sep 3, 2010
Just finished my root and all went well. THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK and great walkthrough!!

A couple of suggestions:
- a couple of times it mentions mounting the sd in the PC to move or delete files. It is quicker and easier to use adb/shell to do that. Worked fine for me.
- at the end, after the image load the walk-through says to say NO to the reboot and go into recovery instead. I did not have an option to select recovery, so I powered down and then powered on with volume down and power to get to recovery.

All in all, a fairly simple (but long) process.

Thanks again,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The rooting method for the EVO 4G is close to the same as the Droid 2, just recently created by Sebastian Krahmer at http://c-skills.blogspot.com/, but with a little variation.

Here is the step-by-step I just did on my brother's (dwizzy130) EVO 4G that came with 2.2 from Sprint.

I am NOT responsible for any damages (bricking, not working, basically anything that goes wrong) This has been tested and works. Over the next few days, I will be cleaning this post up and making the steps more clear.

Special thanks to:
    Sebastian Krahmer for the exploit
    dwizzy130 (my brother) for letting me test on his EVO (since I don't have one)
    The unrevoked team for their methods ;)
    Toastcfh for his mtd-eng.img
    Topgun966 over at evo4g.me for hosting the files

djR3Z over at TheDroidDemos.com just made a GREAT video walkthrough that should make this MUCH easier for all of you. He spent a TON of time making it yesterday, so please give him lots of thanks!

VIDEO WALKTHROUGH (2 parts)

Make sure your phone is unplugged from your computer until I tell you to plug it in!

If you already have the Android SDK and HTC Sync set up on your computer, skip to Step 4 now

Step 1: Download the Android SDK here

Step 2: Extract the Android SDK zip. Move the contents of the extracted zip to C:\
    Your Android tools folder path should now be C:\android-sdk-windows\tools

Step 3: Download HTC Sync 2.0.40 here
    Run the installer. Move on once installed. If reboot is required, do so and then move on.

Windows 7 Users:
    Go to your start menu, then control panel. When that is open, (if you are in category view mode) click on "Uninstall a program" and then choose HTC Sync to uninstall. If you are in Icon view mode choose "Programs and Features" and then click on HTC Sync to uninstall. This will load the proper drivers needed for unrevoked3.

Other Windows Version Users:
    Go to your start menu, then control panel. When that is open, select Add/Remove Programs, and then choose HTC Sync to uninstall. This will load the proper drivers needed for unrevoked3.

Next,

Download my evo-root.zip.

It contains a few files necessary to root the EVO.
    Unzip the contents of the zip to your android sdk tools folder.

Download the unrevoked-forever.zip

Place this zip in your tools folder as well, as a zip, not extracted.

Download this PC36IMG.zip || Mirror(This is the same as running an RUU, so it will delete all of your user data when we use it later in the guide, so backup everything you want to save on your phone first)
    MD5: e52f6ec4f8f5fd6dc251ef19ee19750b

Put this zip in your sdk tools folder as well, as a zip, not extracted.

After unzipping the contents of evo-root.zip to your android sdk tools folder and placing the PC36IMG.zip and unrevoked-forever.zip in the folder, move on.

Step 4: Make sure USB Debugging is ON (checked) on your EVO. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > and make sure it is checked.

Step 5: Plug your phone into the computer via USB, Make sure that the connection type in the Notification Pull-Down Bar is "Charge Only", not "Disk Drive" or else this won't work.
    If your computer asks you to restart after the new drivers were installed, do that now.

Step 6: Open up a command promt from your android-sdk/tools folder.
    Windows 7 users:
    Open up the android sdk folder and hold shift and right click on the tools folder. You will see an option that says "Open command window here" Choose that one and you will be set. the command prompt should read something like C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Other Windows Version Users:

Go to the start menu, go to All Programs, then Accessories, and click on command prompt. Once open type
    Code:
    cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    Once ready, type these commands in cmd prompt from your adb tools directory. After every line press enter.

Code:
    adb push unrevoked-forever.zip /sdcard/
    adb push flash_image /data/local/
    adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/
    adb push mtd-eng.img /sdcard/
    adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/
    Note: the PC36IMG.zip will take longer than expected to transfer to the sdcard. It is a BIG file.

Now we chmod a few things. After every line press enter. It should repeat what you typed in and then return you to a blank line with an $ for everything in adb shell

Code:
    adb shell
    chmod 0755 /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    chmod 0755 /data/local/flash_image
    Ok now for the root shell.

(still in adb shell)

Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    Code:
    ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    You will now see some text on your cmd prompt screen explaining the exploit.

Wait for the adb shell to go away, and it will dump you into your windows command prompt again (no shell) should look something like this:

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Once that dumps you out of the shell, type

Code:
    adb shell
    and you will see you now have a
    Code:
    #
    instead of
    Code:
    $
    now type

Code:
    cd /data/local
    that will flash your misc partition with Toast's mtd-eng.img.

This should return you to a blank line with #.

If you get an "Out of memory error" with a huge list of weird lines, here's how to fix it.

Reboot your phone normally.
    Open a command prompt and go backwards in this guide until you see the big red * and start from there.

Once it is flashed correctly, move on:

Type
    Code:
    reboot bootloader
    Remember how you pushed that huge PC36IMG.zip to your sdcard earlier? This is where that comes in handy. Once you booted into hboot, Select "bootloader" with your volume up/down buttons and hit the power button. Let it sit for a little bit while it loads the PC36IMG.zip. This can take up to 5 minutes. When it finally asks if you want to apply this zip, choose YES. (Remember, this is the same as running an RUU, so it will delete all of your user data).

If this doesn't work (ie the PC36IMG.zip does NOT load) backup all of your sdcard contents onto your computer, reformat your sdcard to FAT32, redownload the PC36IMG.zip, and drag and drop it onto the sdcard, then reboot into the bootloader and try again. This should fix the issue.

Once it is finished, select restart. You now are on the stock 2.1 build of Android.

Next step, mount your sdcard on your computer, and delete the PC36IMG.zip from it. This is because the next step requires using hboot, and you don't want to sit and wait while it loads up again, just for you to say "no" to the install. Please follow this step, for it saves 5-10 minutes of waiting ahead.

I worked extensively with Matt Mastracci, so this rooting guide will use the unrevoked method to root 2.1. This is what worked for me testing on my brother's EVO, so if you do end up trying something else to root 2.1 with, PLEASE do not post it here or ask questions, for I will only support the unrevoked team.

Now open up your web browser on your computer and navigate to Unrevoked

Choose the correct operating system to download for.

Make sure you install the modified android usb driver that comes with the unrevoked3 install (see the html file included when you extract the exe)

Once downloaded and extracted, run the program on your computer.
    Make sure your EVO is plugged in with USB DEBUGGING ON!
    It will reboot to the bootloader, and it will wait for you to use volume down to select HBOOT USB. (the last option)

After you have selected it (by pressing the power button) let the unrevoked3 program handle the rest of the flashing.

If you have had any trouble with the bootloader freezing or not moving for over 3 minutes, you most likely forgot to uninstall HTC Sync (as directed at the beginning of this guide), or you need to install the modified hboot drivers that come with the unrevoked3 program, OR a nasty combination of the both.

For the modified drivers and explanation on how to install them, open the "hboot driver.htm" file that gets extracted when you extract the reflash_package.exe. It will explain everything. You will have to reboot your phone after you install the drivers. Once you have repaired this go back to the big blue *

As soon as it is booted into recovery, you are done with that.

Next in recovery go to

Code:
    install zip from sdcard
    then
    Code:
        choose zip from sdcard
    and choose the
    Code:
     unrevoked-forever.zip
    This will flash the unrevoked forever hboot unlock.

Now it's time to finish up the process and flash the stock 2.2 build of Android. You need to do this before any custom ROM in order to re-update the partitions we downgraded in the rooting process.

Step 1: Download either the update zip with

ClockWorkMod recovery included

or

Amon_RA's recovery included
    This is the most up-to-date version of Amon_RA recovery that allows you to back up WiMAX partition.

(Either zip contains the final touches to the root process, one flashes clockworkmod recovery, and the other respectively, Amon_RA's recovery)

Extract the 3 files inside the zip to your desktop.

If you are still in recovery (from part one or the guide) go back to the main menu of recovery on your phone (if you aren't already at the main menu, hit vol up & down at the same time) Select
    Code:
    Reboot System Now
    Let the Rom load, and when it gets to the sign in screen for Google, just skip everything and let the ROM boot.

If you are already on a custom rom, boot into it and follow from here.
    Once It is fully booted, mount your sdcard onto your computer, and copy the 3 files you extracted from the zip to the sdcard.

Once copied, Unmount your sdcard from the computer.

Step 2: Unplug your phone from the computer. Power it off completely. Now while holding VOLUME DOWN turn on the phone with the power button, continuing to hold volume down. This will boot into hboot. You can release the buttons once you get to the hboot menu. Then use the power button to click on bootloader. This will scan the sdcard for the new PC36IMG.zip you just copied to the sdcard. When it asks "Do you want to start update?" Hit Volume Up for Yes. It will reload the zip and then start the flash. Once the flash is complete (may take 5 or so minutes) Choose NO when it asks you to reboot.

Step 3: After choosing NO to the reboot, you will see a menu again. Select Bootloader from the menu, then use the Volume Down button to hover over "Recovery" and press Power to click on it.
    If your phone gets stuck at the White EVO 4G screen, pull your battery, and then power on while holding volume down again. It should boot to the bootloader again, where you can select recovery.
    Once you are booted into this custom recovery, go to
    Code:
    Install Zip from sdcard / Flash zip from sdcard (Amon_RA)
    and then (clockworkmod only)
    Code:
    choose zip from sdcard
    You will then see the 2.2-root.zip. Click on that and accept the flash.

Once that flash is complete, return to the main menu of recovery and Select
    Code:
    Reboot System Now
    You now have stock Android 2.2 with root and all updated partitions!

If you would like the flash_image binanry so you can flash new recovery images quickly from adb shell, flash the zip that is attached below as a normal zip in recovery AFTER you have completed this entire guide.

IN ORDER TO FLASH CM6 OR DAMAGE CONTROL, YOU NOW NEED TO FLASH THE ENG SPL. LOOK FOR IT IN THE EVO 4G ANDROID DEVELOPMENT FORUM.
    Here is the ENG SPL

Good Luck!

Dan Wager