[Q] Odin keeps on failing on S3

Search This thread

kaboose786

Nov 8, 2013
Hey guys i am trying to use odin to downgrade from android 4.3 to Android 4.1.1 but for some reason it keeps on failing in odin. And now i am stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". How do i know if i have the correct stock file? I downloaded 4.1.1 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=TLS#firmware.. why is it keep on failing? i have checked and kies is off and i am using the original samsung cable odin recognizes the phone but it "fails"

please help

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Do you have an AT&T s3? If you do, you cannot downgrade the 4.3 bootlaoder using desktop Odin and there is no stock AT&T 4.3 ROM.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys i am trying to use odin to downgrade from android 4.3 to Android 4.1.1 but for some reason it keeps on failing in odin. And now i am stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again". How do i know if i have the correct stock file? I downloaded 4.1.1 from here: http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=TLS#firmware.. why is it keep on failing? i have checked and kies is off and i am using the original samsung cable odin recognizes the phone but it "fails"

please help

Be thankful Odin failed because if it hadn't you probably would have had a bricked phone on your hands now. Like the senior member already advised, you can't downgrade the bootloader on the 4.3 to an older system. Desktop Odin tries to flash most partitions which is why it failed. If I may ask, why are you trying to downgrade to 4.1.1? If it's to free unlock the phone, you may be advised that there haven't been conclusive results on the viability of this process. It's possible to downgrade the system itself without downgrading the bootloader by flashing with other methods apart from Odin. I'm not aware, however, that anyone's been able to unlock even after this.

It's unlikely you'd be able to use Kies to recover from the phone's current situation as Kies will likely try to update to 4.1.1. If it isn't booting or working normally, you may try doing a hard wipe from recovery. If your phone still has warranty left on it, you may try an authorized service center. I am also assuming you are using an AT&T phone? You may be able to get it fixed at Best Buy

Last edited: