[Tool] Android Screencast 0.4 (open-source)

Search This thread

acid256

Jul 23, 2008
Hello xda community !

I would like to share with you a new open-source project i just started. It's goal is to provide the ability to control your android device witch is connected through USB using mouse and keyboard in the same way it can be done on an emulator.

It's quite usable already but quite slow...

To try it, just go there and launch the JNLP file
Requirement :
  • Java Runtime >= 5
  • android sdk installed
  • your device is connected, in debug mode and detected by adb (type "adb devices" to check)

New in 0.4
  • Fix spacebar problem
  • Possible fix for droid display problem (keyboard still not working)
  • More keycodes mapped and shift key fixed

New In 0.3
  • Improved explorer
  • Launch URL from your computer
  • Key events fix
  • Hardware keys as buttons

New In 0.2
  • Basic file explorer (double clic on a file)
  • Video capture
  • First attempt to fix permission denied (non root device)
  • Device selection

Feel free to report issues using the issue tracker @googlecode :
http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/

Last edited:

matt_stang

Mar 27, 2009
Can't get it to work on my mac. Just get "Unable to launch application." Any
trick to this?

bakachu

Jan 2, 2009
www.kinesthetic.io
My goodness!

It is choppy, but its such an elegant execution of the idea, love it.

Do you think there's much that can be done in future releases for the choppiness?

Well done!

Edit for MattStang: For the 'Unable to Launch application message', try running something like 'adb shell' first to make sure that the adb service on your computer is running

acid256

Jul 23, 2008
matt_stang : which Java version is installed on your computer ? Maybe you need to update to Java 6.

I'll look at the chopiness issue but this may be quite difficult.

A

AdrianK

It's not working on 10.5.6 for me. I would go to system update to see if there's an update for Java, but I'm on a hackintosh :p

picture1qs.png

bougelahi

Oct 1, 2008
Atlanta
This is a really cool application. Great idea! Choppiness obviously is an issue but i still love playing around with it :)

LinkinX

Jun 16, 2009
How do you connect your device via adb?

I am guessing that not connecting it myself is causing my error, however, If I use "DroidExplorer" (another app I am checking out), I guess it does it for me?

If I just launch screencast:
-getting device list
-unable to launch

If I launch DroidExplorer then screencast I get:
-starting input injector
-unable to launch'

If I launch DroidExplorer, connect with it, then screencast I get:
My G1!!

-Thought I would share in case you want to peek at DroidExplorer and see how it auto connects.

short/y

Mar 9, 2006
Silly-con Valley
OK, this is seriously cool! I normally hook my G1 up to its USB cable and stick it under my keyboard drawer at work, pulling it out when I ... ahem ... "need" it. Now it can stay under there and I can run it from my desktop. Speed is a bit of an issue but I'm sure that'll get worked out. And, sure, there are bugs but those'll get worked out, too. Heck, I'm donating right now just because of how far you've gotten!

Jonno12345

Jul 5, 2009
This is a huge development :eek:... Well done :D Can't wait for the keymap to be finished. The choppiness isn't an issue for me, it still feels more responsive than MyMobiler does on WiMo, and for sms it's extremely useful... Well done :D Keep it coming :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello xda community !

I would like to share with you a new open-source project i just started. It's goal is to provide the ability to control your android device witch is connected through USB using mouse and keyboard in the same way it can be done on an emulator.

It's quite usable already but quite slow...

To try it, just go there and launch the JNLP file
    Requirement :
    • Java Runtime >= 5
    • android sdk installed
    • your device is connected, in debug mode and detected by adb (type "adb devices" to check)

New in 0.4
    • Fix spacebar problem
    • Possible fix for droid display problem (keyboard still not working)
    • More keycodes mapped and shift key fixed

New In 0.3
    • Improved explorer
    • Launch URL from your computer
    • Key events fix
    • Hardware keys as buttons

New In 0.2
    • Basic file explorer (double clic on a file)
    • Video capture
    • First attempt to fix permission denied (non root device)
    • Device selection

Feel free to report issues using the issue tracker @googlecode :
    http://code.google.com/p/androidscreencast/
    Please give me link from where i can download the source code for the android screen cast.
    if anyone's interested... instead of manually going into cmd and typing the commands over and over to start the adb devices..and then manually launching adriod screencast, here's the simple lazy man method.
    copy and paste the following into notepad and replace the file locations with your file locations..then save as whatevername.bat

echo off
    echo Starting the adb devices...
    echo 1) Mapping to folder
    echo cd c:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools
    echo 2) Looking for active devices adb devices..
    cd c:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools
    echo Results: Here are the list of devices..
    adb devices
    echo 3) Starting remote android program...
    C:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\androidscreencast.jnlp
    pause

BTW, only sdk_r06 has the adb device command.
    you can download it here: gpssys.googlecode.com/files/android-sdk_r06-windows.zip

the current ones are r10 which doesn't allow the adb device command, which most of you guys would have found out..

the above: c:\android-sdk_r06-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools
    is the location of r06 after unzipping, i didn't name it well.
    and i placed android screencast inside the same folder for easy access. :p

people with problems clicking the screen or using the keyboard on your android screen can head over to Andriod Screencast Google discussion group! they have the solution there!
    groups.google.com/group/androidscreencast/browse_thread/thread/49654cbc841db9bd
    I wish i could help you with the slade and windows but im currently on a mac. i had to sell me windows 7 setup. But i know if all else fails definitely do everything from scratch completely remove sdk and reinstall then reinstall phone drivers, and java runtime. Thats what i usually do. Maybe something smallwent wrong somewhere during your previous install. But only if the changing of the cords doesnt fix the issue of course. Wish you the best!
    Does it work on ICS?
    I got adb working but mouse/keyboard control doesn't work.
    I run adb commands but still the same.
    My phone is rooted, the buttons are functional but screens doesn't react.

Great project, thanks.

Try the honeycomb version!

I try to post the link but xda say "new users are not permitted to post outside links in their messages. After approximately eight posts, you will be able to post outside links"