[Q] where to buy 2A wall charger?

Search This thread

Sep 27, 2011
Where can I get a decent 5V 2A wall charger?

I've searched through ebay, amazon, dealextreme, ncix, infonec, newegg, no avail yet.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
erhh..... it's the first item on the search list

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/2A+wall+charger

6872-a2c7a0bf-7ca6-4c6d-8ef5-88f118a4cbc9.jpg

Last edited:

Sep 27, 2011
If you look at the 4th picture the "user instruction" clearly says it's 300-500mA. This item is mis-advertised...

After a second read, seems that the "user instruction" is not for that device. The picture on the instruction looks similar but is actually different from the device. So maybe the seller got things mixed up.

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
Idk what the output is tbh. But I have several of their chargers and they charge fast. Faster, way faster than the slow stock charger.
If the T-989 circuitry is anything like the ATT Samsung Infuse, ATT Samsung GS2 or the Galaxy S1 variants the charging current is LIMITED by the ROM & hardware and the MAX current for the device limited by the chipset is ~600mah so a higher current charger won't help, it's probably placebo effect.

I believe Entropy512 on the ATT GS2 forum has done some heavy investigation into the integrated chipsets in the phones used for charging these devices and has confirmed these limitations using the manufacturers chipset specs.

He was able to jack up the max charge current about 100mah or so on a couple devices in the kernel. But a larger charger is going to make very little if any difference. The phone automatically current limits to prevent overcharging the battery or at worse an explosion. These batteries are very dangerous at too high current.

Bottom line is you could use a 10amp charger and the phone will only charge at it's rated capacity which a WAY WAY below 2000mah and probably no more than 700mah on these phones.

T

The_Biz

I'm on the stock rom and these chargers are better than the stock though. The car charger version can charge the phone very fast (within an hour). I know from use that these can charge a stock gs2 faster than the stock charger. I got them because the sensation took 8days 22minutes and 43 seconds to fully charge. And I kept them for the gs2. :D

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
I'm on the stock rom and these chargers are better than the stock though. The car charger version can charge the phone very fast (within an hour). I know from use that these can charge a stock gs2 faster than the stock charger. I got them because the sensation took 8days 22minutes and 43 seconds to fully charge. And I kept them for the gs2. :D
Electronics 101 says either you are incorrect or something is defective. If something is charging at 500mah (standard Samsung wall charger charge rate) and the capacity of the battery is 1850mah it must take less than 4 hours. 1850/500=3.7hrs (which probably can vary 25% depending on a number of variables). If it fully charged from zero to 1850 in "less than an hour" that means the phone is being charged at a rate of almost 2AMPS/hour. If that is the case (and it is not) your phone would have been a pile of molten smoking plastic because the charge rate of the phone is limited to AROUND 600mah. 2000mah, which is about what a 1hr charge from empty to full would be on an 1850mah battery would wipe out the phone and/or probably explode the battery.

Either your phone battery is displaying incorrect "emptyness" or something else is wrong because what you describe is not possible. Either the 8 days or the 1 hour on an empty battery unless SOMETHING is off.

Sep 27, 2011
Really? The phone has its own max of 600mA? You are the first one I heard that has this information. If this is true then it's a little mind blowing... Everybody else is recommending using some higher current charger...

T

The_Biz

Electronics 101 says either you are incorrect or something is defective. If something is charging at 500mah (standard Samsung wall charger charge rate) and the capacity of the battery is 1850mah it must take less than 4 hours. 1850/500=3.7hrs (which probably can vary 25% depending on a number of variables). If it fully charged from zero to 1850 in "less than an hour" that means the phone is being charged at a rate of almost 2AMPS/hour. If that is the case (and it is not) your phone would have been a pile of molten smoking plastic because the charge rate of the phone is limited to AROUND 600mah. 2000mah, which is about what a 1hr charge from empty to full would be on an 1850mah battery would wipe out the phone and/or probably explode the battery.

Either your phone battery is displaying incorrect "emptyness" or something else is wrong because what you describe is not possible. Either the 8 days or the 1 hour on an empty battery unless SOMETHING is off.

Argue after you've tried the charger I mentioned.

Edit: The 8 days was a joke. Saying the sensation is slow.

Last edited:

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA
Believe what you wish. Either the charging indicator on your phone was/is showing incorrect information (ie: showing discharged when it really isn't so it seemed to "charge faster") or something else is wrong. As I said, the phone is limited by it's circuitry to it's charge rate. There is no way around that.

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Really? The phone has its own max of 600mA? You are the first one I heard that has this information. If this is true then it's a little mind blowing... Everybody else is recommending using some higher current charger...
Absolutely, it is current limited as is any electronic device especially those using Lithium Ion batteries which can easily explode if charged too fast (note the recent Chevy Volt problems). If it was not limited you could theoretically plug it in to a 10amp DC charger and fully charge it in 10 minutes or less. I know that the Infuse and AT&T i777 GS2 are either current limited at 500 or 600mah, Even if this device was 700mah because it has a larger battery it still can't be charged in anywhere near 1hr from empty to full.

Entropy512 over on Samsung Infuse and now Galaxy S2 i777 boards actually spec'd out the chip on the phone from the manufacturers data sheets as well as verified it by testing. He discovered the charging rate can be modified a bit in the Kernel and did jack it up a few mah.

SOMETHING internal has to limit the amount of current that goes into the battery and when to reduce it to a trickle charge and then shut it off.

This is what happens to a Lithium Ion batter when you overcharge it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2hGoJVmlA or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAtBiTSsKY or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAtBiTSsKY (the last one, a laptop, is my favorite).

Yes, higher rated chargers will help to an extent because Samsung (or any manufacturer) has to conservatively rate it's chargers for safety. Their stock chargers are IIRC rated at 500mah. The phone can still handle maybe 600 or 700mah so a higher rated charger WILL charge somewhat faster if it can produce the 700mah rather than the 500 (or less) mah.

However to charge the phone with its 1850 mah (1.85amps/hr) battery in 1 hr from 0 to full would require approx 2AMPS in 1 hour which far exceeds the circuitry OF THE PHONE.

If it did SEEM TO happen either the phone is showing discharged when it's really 3/4 full or the battery is defective and is no longer able to take a full charge and is showing full when it is really on 1/4 full.

Putting 2000mah (2amp/hr) into this battery which would be what would be needed to charge it in an hour would literally blow it up so the charge rate MUST be (and is) limited by the device itself.

Check out Entropy212 on the other boards for more technical details for the other Galaxy "family" devices. This one is no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: lamlux

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
either way the math might be right, but i doubt that's the case

else how do you explain it actually works?

with a 2A charger it finishes charging faster than with a 1A charger
and either of those are faster than the stock charger

the battery doesn't over heat either, it gets warm just like when you use the stock charger

MisterEdF

Apr 29, 2010
Florida USA

the battery doesn't over heat either, it gets warm just like when you use the stock charger

I explain it this way: It does not work. It is impossible. It's electronics 101. You can't charge and 1850mah battery with 600 or 700 mills (which is what the phone allows) in 1 hour. Just like you can't turn water into liquid gold.

As I have explained before:
It may LOOK like it's working for any of the following reasons:

The battery is defective and is not fully charging. Maybe it's only charging half way and when charging ends it shows full.

The phone is showing a full charge when it really is not fully charged.

The battery is showing discharged when it really is not thereby taking a short time to charge it back up.

Here is a thread with pretty much proof. This guy has a good HP brand 2amp charger and it takes 3hrs 15 minutes to charge: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1349373 which is exactly how it should be.

If the battery charged in 1hr it would get so hot the phone would probably melt. Believe what you want, you cannot charge this device in an hour from fully drained to FULL charge. The internal circuitry will not permit it. It has been documented in the ATT GS2 and ATT Infuse threads exactly what chipset is used and what the current limiting specs are from the chip manufacturers data sheets by a well respected developer. This phone is no different. It's charging rate is LIMITED by the phone to 600-700mah. Maybe you can push it to 3hrs by tweaking the charge rate in the kernel but 1hr is not possible and would be very dangerous.

Last edited:
T

The_Biz

DUDE!

Try the charger I mentioned and then come back here and tell me how your phone is messed up, reading wrong, charging wrong, stupid, can't read its own charge rate, eats twinkies or whatever.. Jeezus...

The t-mobile branded chargers, charge faster than the stock chargers. I've tried this on a hd2, blackberries, htc sensation and a t-mobile sgs2..... . Some people, boy I'll tell ya.

I have had these car chargers for a year and every phone I've hooked it to, can charge really fast. But I guess there's no way on earth, according to you, this is possible. :rolleyes:

T-mobiles chargers are rapid chargers. Even nextel use to sell rapid chargers for their phones. The phones came with a slow charger, and they sold a faster charger for like $20. That was back in the 90's.

And I have 3 t-mobile branded chargers. So I guess all of them and the phones are all damaged.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

This guy has a good HP brand 2amp charger and it takes 3hrs 15 minutes to charge: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1349373 which is exactly how it should be.

And since "this guy" has a hp charger, there's no way on earth a person could have one of a different brand that actually charges faster. How dare I argue this with a guy who knows so much.... :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

And here, this was the reason I bought them, from this article.

READ!

t-mobiles-new-charger-line-is-surprisingly-interesting-fast-e/

"and all of them promise to charge your handset 20 to 50 percent faster than a standard model"

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Maybe engadget doesn't know about the hp charger guy and they all have defective phones with defective batteries too? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
@MisterEdF

I'd rather believe in the actual proven to work results.

because it's been working exactly like that for the past several phones i've owned

simple enough prove when the phone is plugged in with the stock charger, the battery level (battery %) will keep dropping instead of charging if GPS, Bluetooth, Screen, and/or GPS is constantly ON, the battery will never charge, it will just run dry eventually

reason why you see many members reporting it takes them 9 hours to charge or 18 hours to charge

the phone is draining the battery faster than it can replenish itself

in the other hand if you use a more powerful charger, 1A or 2A then you will actually see the battery gain charge (gain %) as the phone is in continue use.

with a 1A charger the battery level remains pretty much flat during charge, with all the features enabled

with a 2A charger it gains battery level, even when all the features are enabled

here's another point of view...

with the stock charger the battery loses 3% in 15 minutes with all the features enabled
with the 2A charger the battery gains 3% in 15 minute with all the features enabled

the only way for the stock charger to gain 3% in 15 minutes is to turn off GPS, turn off WiFi, turn off Bluetooth, and keep the screen off

Does that make sense using your math? No, but that's real life vs. math equations

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I explain it this way: It does not work. It is impossible. It's electronics 101. You can't charge and 1850mah battery with 600 or 700 mills (which is what the phone allows) in 1 hour. Just like you can't turn water into liquid gold.

As I have explained before:
    It may LOOK like it's working for any of the following reasons:

The battery is defective and is not fully charging. Maybe it's only charging half way and when charging ends it shows full.

The phone is showing a full charge when it really is not fully charged.

The battery is showing discharged when it really is not thereby taking a short time to charge it back up.

Here is a thread with pretty much proof. This guy has a good HP brand 2amp charger and it takes 3hrs 15 minutes to charge: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1349373 which is exactly how it should be.

If the battery charged in 1hr it would get so hot the phone would probably melt. Believe what you want, you cannot charge this device in an hour from fully drained to FULL charge. The internal circuitry will not permit it. It has been documented in the ATT GS2 and ATT Infuse threads exactly what chipset is used and what the current limiting specs are from the chip manufacturers data sheets by a well respected developer. This phone is no different. It's charging rate is LIMITED by the phone to 600-700mah. Maybe you can push it to 3hrs by tweaking the charge rate in the kernel but 1hr is not possible and would be very dangerous.
    Believe what you wish. Either the charging indicator on your phone was/is showing incorrect information (ie: showing discharged when it really isn't so it seemed to "charge faster") or something else is wrong. As I said, the phone is limited by it's circuitry to it's charge rate. There is no way around that.

---------- Post added at 08:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

Absolutely, it is current limited as is any electronic device especially those using Lithium Ion batteries which can easily explode if charged too fast (note the recent Chevy Volt problems). If it was not limited you could theoretically plug it in to a 10amp DC charger and fully charge it in 10 minutes or less. I know that the Infuse and AT&T i777 GS2 are either current limited at 500 or 600mah, Even if this device was 700mah because it has a larger battery it still can't be charged in anywhere near 1hr from empty to full.

Entropy512 over on Samsung Infuse and now Galaxy S2 i777 boards actually spec'd out the chip on the phone from the manufacturers data sheets as well as verified it by testing. He discovered the charging rate can be modified a bit in the Kernel and did jack it up a few mah.

SOMETHING internal has to limit the amount of current that goes into the battery and when to reduce it to a trickle charge and then shut it off.

This is what happens to a Lithium Ion batter when you overcharge it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2hGoJVmlA or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAtBiTSsKY or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjAtBiTSsKY (the last one, a laptop, is my favorite).

Yes, higher rated chargers will help to an extent because Samsung (or any manufacturer) has to conservatively rate it's chargers for safety. Their stock chargers are IIRC rated at 500mah. The phone can still handle maybe 600 or 700mah so a higher rated charger WILL charge somewhat faster if it can produce the 700mah rather than the 500 (or less) mah.

However to charge the phone with its 1850 mah (1.85amps/hr) battery in 1 hr from 0 to full would require approx 2AMPS in 1 hour which far exceeds the circuitry OF THE PHONE.

If it did SEEM TO happen either the phone is showing discharged when it's really 3/4 full or the battery is defective and is no longer able to take a full charge and is showing full when it is really on 1/4 full.

Putting 2000mah (2amp/hr) into this battery which would be what would be needed to charge it in an hour would literally blow it up so the charge rate MUST be (and is) limited by the device itself.

Check out Entropy212 on the other boards for more technical details for the other Galaxy "family" devices. This one is no different.
    DUDE!

Try the charger I mentioned and then come back here and tell me how your phone is messed up, reading wrong, charging wrong, stupid, can't read its own charge rate, eats twinkies or whatever.. Jeezus...

The t-mobile branded chargers, charge faster than the stock chargers. I've tried this on a hd2, blackberries, htc sensation and a t-mobile sgs2..... . Some people, boy I'll tell ya.

I have had these car chargers for a year and every phone I've hooked it to, can charge really fast. But I guess there's no way on earth, according to you, this is possible. :rolleyes:

T-mobiles chargers are rapid chargers. Even nextel use to sell rapid chargers for their phones. The phones came with a slow charger, and they sold a faster charger for like $20. That was back in the 90's.

And I have 3 t-mobile branded chargers. So I guess all of them and the phones are all damaged.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

And since "this guy" has a hp charger, there's no way on earth a person could have one of a different brand that actually charges faster. How dare I argue this with a guy who knows so much.... :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

And here, this was the reason I bought them, from this article.

READ!

t-mobiles-new-charger-line-is-surprisingly-interesting-fast-e/

"and all of them promise to charge your handset 20 to 50 percent faster than a standard model"

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Maybe engadget doesn't know about the hp charger guy and they all have defective phones with defective batteries too? :rolleyes:

LOL, rapid chargers .... that goes back to the day of NiMh and NiCd batteries. There is no such thing as a rapid charger for a Lithium battery for a cell phone. KABOOM!

You're talking 20-50% (20% or maybe 30% I can agree with) but to charge a 1850mah battery in one hour with 700mah charge rate. NO WAY. THAT was the discussion here. Not "a faster charge, but a ONE HOUR CHARGE for an 1850mah battery" with a charge rate of maybe 700mah. Sorry but you are wrong. Can't happen. Impossible. But I'm sure you've done the impossible. At least you think you did. :cool:

By the way, ENGADGET did not test them, they were just regurgitating the press release on that same page (where it says "click here") which says "at least 20% faster and up to 50% faster. That's all Engadget does, it rewrites the press releases.

Even 50% faster would still be close to 2 hours on this device. 1hr. Sorry, didn't happen and never will. I'd have to see controlled testing to believe that, like what was done on the ATT Infuse and ATT Galaxy S2 which proves the charging current limitation built into the phone.
    But I forgot, you plugged it in and it took an hour. That's all we need.

I can tell you are getting frustrated because you are starting with the ad hominem attacks rather than using any real facts to make your point. Trying to talk sense to someone who discards the basic laws of science (electronics) is absurd. I'd rather argue with my wife. It's more satisfying because at least she uses common sense.

We'll leave it with "you win" because obviously that is the only thing that will satisfy you despite the facts and the science. Yes sir, you are right. 1 hour to charge that battery. Excellent! Enjoy your 1hr charger.
    banghead.gif