MMS Fix for Epic 4G Running ICS

Search This thread

highfi13g

Apr 26, 2008
Hi everybody,

We all know that ICS has made it a bit difficult to edit your APN(s). We also know that some of us have been having issues getting MMS to work when we install ICS on our Epics.

Luckily after a lot of research and a little tinkering I found a great fix that worked right away. I took the APN Settings from an Epic Touch 4g.

1. Within you Epic open your Voice Dialer App.
2. When prompted say "Open APNs".
3. Another pop up will appear, tap on the OPEN APNs message that pops up.
4. The next screen will show one single APN called Sprint tap on it.
5. On the next screen you will see the list of settings for the specific APN. Below are the list of settings that finally got my MMS working.
a. Username: Sprint
b. MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7
c. MMS Port: 80
**ALL OTHER SETTINGS STAY THE SAME**
6. Once completed tap the menu button and tap save.
7. Reboot for good luck.

Steps 1-3 will also work for Epic owners trying to edit APN settings to use on another carrier. :)

Hope the info helps!

philowneus

Sep 16, 2010
Is this more for wifi or 3g. Cause I know I have trouble sometimes. I followed your thing. Guess I'll see how it goes. Cause I don't remember when I have had mms fail for testing.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Trident

Sep 1, 2005
Disney World
Interesting. I just noticed this today when I couldn't see an mms in an otherwise awesome CM9 RC1.
I just installed HandcentSMS and that worked, but I prefer not having the extra apps. I'll try this over the weekend.

highfi13g

Apr 26, 2008
Is this more for wifi or 3g. Cause I know I have trouble sometimes. I followed your thing. Guess I'll see how it goes. Cause I don't remember when I have had mms fail for testing.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
I believe it only applies to 3G since the APLs are only used as network identifiers by mobile devices.

highfi13g

Apr 26, 2008
Interesting. Where did you find the info?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app
The first three steps were from another post i found through a Google search (Dont ask, i unfortunately dont remember). Once i found out how to access the APL in ICS it was just of matter of finding the APL info for another Sprint phone (in this case a Galaxy II) and entering that info in my Epic's APL.

nathan951

Sep 5, 2010
this was one of the main reasons i installed TPR, may have to switch back to ICS, if this fixes the MMS issues!

Trident

Sep 1, 2005
Disney World
Very interesting. Now I need to receive an mms to test.
One thing I noticed was after following all steps, a lot of other information was populated in the Sprint settings when I went back to look.

DCRocks

Oct 4, 2010
Washington DC
Wanted to give out a BIG thanks for this fix

I installed CM9, RC1, and had issues sending MMS. Was unsure if it was the towers in San Diego, as I was just visiting,or the phone, but as I has some extra time, I went so far as to do a full wipe and reload of CM9 RC1. Still, over several days, was unable to get a MMS to send 9 out of 10 times, no matter what I tried, while plain text messages went right away.

I rebooted my phone, tried sending a MMS, and it stuck on sending. Gave it 15-20, and even rebooted. Still stuck at sending. I deleted the message, made this fix, rebooted, and tried to send a MMS again, and the MMS sent right away

razorlove

Dec 4, 2010
huge thanks for this! works like magic.

offtohavasu

Feb 16, 2011
Orange, CA
The first three steps were from another post i found through a Google search (Dont ask, i unfortunately dont remember). Once i found out how to access the APL in ICS it was just of matter of finding the APL info for another Sprint phone (in this case a Galaxy II) and entering that info in my Epic's APL.

I ask because I posted this in the rc1 thread about 4 hours before this one.

Reactions: razorlove

czechpunk

May 5, 2011
Katy, TX
www.4oEmusic.com
I too can confirm that this works to solve the MMS issues on WIFI. However, be careful; when I rebooted after applying the fix, my phone tried resending all of my past MMS messages. It really bogged my phone down, and I had to delete them in order to stop it from happening.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

Last edited:

usagi111

Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Would this fix work on a phone flashed to Boost Mobile?, the MMS issues is one of the few major things keeping me off anything CM9 related...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

raresoul77

Nov 13, 2011
This $hit doesn't work! I tried every different kind of way.. gave it a shot for an hour.. this crap is for the birds!

raresoul77

Nov 13, 2011
I went back to stock and everything works and I mean everything!

philowneus

Sep 16, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody,

We all know that ICS has made it a bit difficult to edit your APN(s). We also know that some of us have been having issues getting MMS to work when we install ICS on our Epics.

Luckily after a lot of research and a little tinkering I found a great fix that worked right away. I took the APN Settings from an Epic Touch 4g.

1. Within you Epic open your Voice Dialer App.
    2. When prompted say "Open APNs".
    3. Another pop up will appear, tap on the OPEN APNs message that pops up.
    4. The next screen will show one single APN called Sprint tap on it.
    5. On the next screen you will see the list of settings for the specific APN. Below are the list of settings that finally got my MMS working.
    a. Username: Sprint
    b. MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7
    c. MMS Port: 80
    **ALL OTHER SETTINGS STAY THE SAME**
    6. Once completed tap the menu button and tap save.
    7. Reboot for good luck.

Steps 1-3 will also work for Epic owners trying to edit APN settings to use on another carrier. :)

Hope the info helps!
    Interesting. Where did you find the info?

what is bearer? I clicked on it and it says lte, ehrpd or unspecified

keep it blank or unspecified, we dont have lte or ehrpd

I ask because I posted this in the rc1 thread about 4 hours before this one.

uploadfromtaptalk1342067781678.jpg make sure that you press the little blue button. It will not be highlighted untill you press it. Then click on sprint itself and it will open up. scroll down till you see uploadfromtaptalk1342068185815.jpgchange the mms proxy and port to these numbers. Then hit menu. And saveuploadfromtaptalk1342068274165.jpg. Then reboot and try. It worked for me. With in 2 minutes

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium