Really Annoying

Search This thread

mesajoejoe

Jan 18, 2008
So far I like this phone alot. However my biggest complaint is this:

When you go to messages and click on someone to go send a text and you start typing on the hard keyboard only to look at screen and nothing is there. Why does it not automatically select the box so that you just start typing and go. I do not want to physically tap that box every time I want to start texting. My G1 does it, why doesnt this?

Am I the only one?

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Mine automatically goes to the text box after selecting one contact. If I click the To box to add another recipient, it stays in the To box once a contact is selected. This is exactly how my G1 did it. Check the Input Method you're using... I'm finding many strange things based on which keyboard I have selected, regardless whether I am using the hardware keyboard or not. I currently am on Touch Input, and it is working the way you want it to right now.

mesajoejoe

Jan 18, 2008
When im creating a new message to a new contact then yes after selecting a contact it switches to the compose box. I am referring to conversations I already have currently. When Im in messages I have like 4 threads/conversations... with phone horizontal and slide open ready to type with hardware keyboard... I click on my gf's name/thread. When its done loading it i have to manually tap the compose box every time. If my phone goes into sleep mode with that window still there then of course when i power on the phone it will still be selected on the compose box. I tried this with different keyboards and different settings. I checked it with every conversation/thread. I pushed back clicked a new person/conversation and low and behold same thing. It never automatically selects it so i can just click somenes name/conversation and start typing with hardware keyboard

Another thing I find is that if i start typing something phone goes into sleep power back on and phone changes from portrait to landscape it erases my msg that i was currently engaged in. And I dont mean drafts either

Appreciate the help btw : )

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Oh I see... yes, mine also doesn't auto focus to the message box... Interesting. I can't recall how my G1 handled that, but I am sure it was the same as your. Not sure what to tell ya there then. The only other suggestion, and this depends on how you get to your messages, but if I open Messages, I can long press on the message and choose Reply, and then the message box is auto-focused...

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
I use the google voice app for messaging, but one thing I noticed last night is that holding the VOLUME DOWN button will only turn the ringer "down" to vibrate. On my G1, it would go all the way to silent.

In order to get it to silent you have to hold the lock/power button on the top, select Silent Mode, and then press the volume button once to get the "silent icon" to show up in the top bar.

mesajoejoe

Jan 18, 2008
found another bug:

When in wireless setting, wi-fi settings, menu, advanced setting, ipaddress. when trying to set ip address all the numbers are screwed up 1 becomes 7 2 becomes 9.......? only way to get it correct is to use FN key. Even using FN key twice causes them to be messed up

Last edited:

gerelee

Apr 29, 2009
I use the google voice app for messaging, but one thing I noticed last night is that holding the VOLUME DOWN button will only turn the ringer "down" to vibrate. On my G1, it would go all the way to silent.

In order to get it to silent you have to hold the lock/power button on the top, select Silent Mode, and then press the volume button once to get the "silent icon" to show up in the top bar.

mine goes to silent mode if you don't go all the way to vibrate with the volume rocker.

Code3VW

May 1, 2009
Sure enough, you guys are right! Strange, so now it is Vibrate -> Silent -> Volume levels, my G1 was Silent -> Vibrate -> Volume levels

fermunky

Jun 11, 2007
Tampa, FL
Sure enough, you guys are right! Strange, so now it is Vibrate -> Silent -> Volume levels, my G1 was Silent -> Vibrate -> Volume levels

I'm sure this was intentional, and I for one like the change. My phone is either ringer volume to the max, or vibrate. I have no use for no ringer and no vibrate mode. So it's convenient for me to simply hold the Vol- key all the way and it goes right to Vibrate, no more having to go + once to get vibrate now :)

whttabeach

May 3, 2007
I'm sure this was intentional, and I for one like the change. My phone is either ringer volume to the max, or vibrate. I have no use for no ringer and no vibrate mode. So it's convenient for me to simply hold the Vol- key all the way and it goes right to Vibrate, no more having to go + once to get vibrate now :)

I agree. I can't tell you how many times I accidentally put my G1 on silent and not realized it. It's still possible though, but I think it less likely since vibrate is the lowest option.

I'd actually prefer if silent wasn't even on the volume rocker. I've hardly ever used it and if I ever need it, I have no problem holding the power button and selecting silent on-screen.