[Guide] Install TWRP and Root your Robin

Search This thread

deadman96385

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I am not responsible if you damage your device in any way you are the one that has decided to modify your device.

Guide

1. Download the Beta 2.68 SuperSU zip

2. Make sure you have adb and fastboot and robin usb drivers installed there are tons of guides just google it if you need to install them.

3. In cmd line type the following after connecting robin to your computer (and accepting the computer on robin if first time)

Code:
adb devices

It should start adb and you should see a device listed if it properly connected with developer options enabled, if not go back and make sure you have the proper drivers installed and USB debugging is indeed enabled.

4. Next we are going to unlock the bootloader, if you already have then skip this step.

-It will wipe ALL you data if you are coming from a locked bootloader so back up your internal storage
- You will need to enable developer options in your settings, this is done by going Settings->About phone and tapping Build number 7 times or until you "become a developer". Then you will need to go back to Settings->Developer options and enable USB debugging

First you must reboot to bootloader use the following command to do that:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Then after the device has rebooted into the bootloader screen you need to type this command

Code:
fastboot oem unlock

6. Now that we are still in bootloader you can install twrp download the latest twrp img from here
https://twrp.me/devices/nextbitrobin.html

7. Run the following command to flash twrp:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

8. Now the easiest way to root it with out having to time mashing the buttons to reboot to recovery again is to fastboot boot the recovery image and install your SuperSU zip then.

Code:
fastboot boot twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

9. MTP does work so if you forgot to move your SuperSU zip over you can do it in recovery. Now you just do the normal proccess to flash a zip.

Troubleshooting
1. Some fastboot binarys do not recognize the Robin's fastboot id so if your device is not showing up please add the following to your fastboot commands -i 0x2c3f so a command would look like this
Code:
fastboot -i 0x2c3f flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

varun.gid

Jun 18, 2008
Dubai
WOWWWW!!! AWESOMEEEE!! THIS IS AMAZING!!!
Xposed will work right? Will unlocking bootloader reset device??

Last edited:

joeminati

Dec 23, 2009
I keep having issues with adb. It connects when the phone is on and USB debugging. But when I go to fastboot, it doesn't connect for me to go forward.

Drivers are good and whatnot.

MSF Jarvis

XDA Feed Mod/Inactive RC
Mar 31, 2015
msfjarvis.dev
I keep having issues with adb. It connects when the phone is on and USB debugging. But when I go to fastboot, it doesn't connect for me to go forward.

Drivers are good and whatnot.

Fastboot mode doesn't have ADB enabled genius. Fastboot is within the bootloader, while adb is a daemon started by the kernel's init.rc on first boot.

Reactions: varun.gid

casualt

Dec 29, 2009
AMAZING THANK YOU SO MUCH! I had to use fastboot -i 0x2c3f

Last edited:

deadman96385

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2011
Saint Paul, Minnesota
I'm having a problem.. I unlocked bootloader.. flashed recovery... booted into it there was nothing.. Empty folder for internal storage.. Then i booted up the ROM, and then again booted to TWRP.. it asks for password to decrypt.. Please Help!

You have to put in your encryption password, it is the one that you have to put in when you boot up the device normally.

Reactions: varun.gid

MiryCaro

Mar 13, 2016
Didn't work for me, not only the TWRP kept asking me for a password no matter what, but latter on when I decided to flash through adb sideload, got stock in the bootloader and wiping didn't solve the issue for me. So now I don´t now what to do, I guess I´m going to have to wait for the image as well...

nelson0521

Mar 15, 2016
Does somebody have robin image?

I had wiped my robin system...
Does somebody have robin image ?
Or somebody can backup the image and upload for me ?
Thank a lot!!

---------- Post added at 05:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 AM ----------

I had wiped my robin system...
Does somebody have robin image ?
Or somebody can backup the image and upload for me ?
Thank a lot!!

I see the link, thanks everyone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not responsible if you damage your device in any way you are the one that has decided to modify your device.

Guide

1. Download the Beta 2.68 SuperSU zip

2. Make sure you have adb and fastboot and robin usb drivers installed there are tons of guides just google it if you need to install them.

3. In cmd line type the following after connecting robin to your computer (and accepting the computer on robin if first time)

Code:
    adb devices

It should start adb and you should see a device listed if it properly connected with developer options enabled, if not go back and make sure you have the proper drivers installed and USB debugging is indeed enabled.

4. Next we are going to unlock the bootloader, if you already have then skip this step.

-It will wipe ALL you data if you are coming from a locked bootloader so back up your internal storage
    - You will need to enable developer options in your settings, this is done by going Settings->About phone and tapping Build number 7 times or until you "become a developer". Then you will need to go back to Settings->Developer options and enable USB debugging

First you must reboot to bootloader use the following command to do that:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Then after the device has rebooted into the bootloader screen you need to type this command

Code:
    fastboot oem unlock

6. Now that we are still in bootloader you can install twrp download the latest twrp img from here
    https://twrp.me/devices/nextbitrobin.html

7. Run the following command to flash twrp:

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

8. Now the easiest way to root it with out having to time mashing the buttons to reboot to recovery again is to fastboot boot the recovery image and install your SuperSU zip then.

Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img

9. MTP does work so if you forgot to move your SuperSU zip over you can do it in recovery. Now you just do the normal proccess to flash a zip.

Troubleshooting
    1. Some fastboot binarys do not recognize the Robin's fastboot id so if your device is not showing up please add the following to your fastboot commands -i 0x2c3f so a command would look like this
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x2c3f flash recovery twrp-3.0.0-0-ether.img
    Yeah same here. I hope someone can figure out a fix soon. I can't even flash it via OTG.

I finally got it!
    The following guide assumes you have twrp recovery installed and your bootloader is unlocked.
    1. Boot into twrp recovery
    2. Tap Wipe
    3. Tap Format Data and type yes
    4. Tap Reboot > Recovery
    5. Your encryption should be removed and you should now be able to see the internal storage.
    6. While on the main screen of twrp, plug your robin into your computer.
    7. Type
    Code:
    adb devices
    into the command prompt and make sure your device is listed.
    8. Put your supersu.zip in your platform-tools folder (same place adb.exe resides)
    9. In the command prompt type
    Code:
    adb push supersu.zip /sdcard/
    This will push the super user zip into /sdcard
    10. Now tap Install and find your supersu.zip file and install it!

YAY! you did it! hopefully.

Reasons why this was neccessary:
    -cant decrypt. so you must format data to remove encryption and install supersu because once you setup your phone (even without a password) it automatically gets encrypted.
    -when trying to adb sideload, phone wont connect to computer to install supersu (im assuming because usb debugging is off). Hence, the reason for running adb push while encryption is removed.

I used step 3 on this guide
    I was on 7.1.1 stock and flashed TWRP, the latest version. It asked me for my encryption password. I didn't have any password at all on the phone. I wiped data and then tried to boot back into stock and it just got stuck at the boot logo. Nextbit has a 1.3gb package that reinstalls everything just by typing flash-all.bat on your cmd prompt. I just wanted stock with root, I guess that won't be happening right now. :(

Boot into fastboot, flash TWRP, boot TWRP, wipe data to decrypt, reboot TWRP, put magisk or supersu into your storage (you only see a TWRP folder on your pc), flash it, wipe caches, reboot (it takes some time), boom you are decrypted and rooted.
    Mine just in case