FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

A Friendly Reminder From The Mods Regarding Newcomers and Threads in OT

3,885 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,099
 
By crachel, Retired Senior Moderator on 31st May 2013, 11:28 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Hello Everybody,

We would like to remind everyone in this forum that even though this is the off topic section and we like to have fun and joke around, that the forum rules still apply here. As of late there has been a lot of "trolling" of new members, or newcomers to OT, and especially new threads posted here in the off topic section. This is something that needs to stop. Here at XDA we are an open forum and any member is more than welcome to post where they choose to (assuming of course that they aren't spamming up a dev thread with questions etc etc). As with any forum if you see a thread that needs to be closed use the report button. Also, as with any other forum unless you have something to contribute to the topic of the thread in a friendly way please do not post in that thread. As cliche as this sounds it remains true. "If you have nothing nice to say it is wise to say nothing at all."

What may seem as a harmless joke to you may come off as rude or offensive to a member that doesn't know you or understand the fact that you mean what you say as joke and nothing more. If you want to "troll" stick to joking around with your friends that way no one mis-interprets your posts as an attack on them personally. Members of XDA deserve to have peace of mind when posting in OT and at the moment they do not have that luxury. Violators of this rule will be considered spamming and your posts will be deleted without any prior notice. Repeat offenders will be dealt with according to XDA rules.

To give you some recent examples of why were are saying this please look at the threads linked below

[Q] Chair Type
The Longest Sentence
How Do You Shave Your Legs
iOS7 Discussion
Girls on Xda
The last one was by far the worst!


I know this seems like we may be picking on you but please understand this is not the case. This is the type of behavior we expect from each and every member on XDA no matter the forum. To all members who do choose to violate this rule, if we have to, the moderation team will hand down official warnings and infractions or even bans if necessary. Remember this is the last thing we want to do. We only want anyone and everyone that wants to join in on the fun of the Off Topic section to get their chance to do so without feeling like they are not welcomed in the section. Here at XDA we are all one big family so lets act like it.


So lets sum this up for everyone. These are not suggestions but these are the rules here on XDA!!!


No more "IBTL" posts.... instead please use the report button. That is what it is for

No more "GTFO NOOB" posts... if you ignore them they will leave you in peace.

This is a public forum and therefore all threads are public too. You may not decide who can post in a given thread, if you want a private members club start a social group.

No more spamming/trolling new threads! Only post if you have something to contribute to the topic. Anyone who wants a chance at having a thread in OT deserves a chance to have one of their own and its not up to you all to decide what stays and what goes





Cheers Mates

The Moderation Team


@crachel
@Neo
@vanessaem
@snickler
@Perseus
@jackeagle
@Heisenberg
@OfficerJimLahey
@Droidriven

 
 
12th June 2013, 02:44 PM |#2  
_Variable's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 290
 
More
Thanks, the trolls in the bad threads are worse than the thread itself, imo
12th June 2013, 02:46 PM |#3  
ak700's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag 25.00° N, 71.00° W
Thanks Meter: 429
 
More
Ahh Alright... BTW why isn't this thread locked ?

EDIT While you guys are here, could you basically define Off Topic? I mean, we have something completely off topic and that's in no way related to XDA and there is some "off topic" that somewhat related, like tech stuff. Currently there is a bit of confusion over this that brings a lot "spam" over here.
12th June 2013, 02:49 PM |#4  
conantroutman's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,550
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak700

Ahh Alright... BTW why isn't this thread locked ?

Because there are undoubtedly going to be some questions about this and a little discussion (serious discussion mind you) goes a long way.
12th June 2013, 03:10 PM |#5  
nuuits's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 458
 
More
This is all really silly.
I actually saw the iOS7 thread from your link and wow, I would've loved to just discuss the operating system without anyone saying "Apple sucks Android 5ever hahahaha if you think iOS is worth talking about you're wrong omg!"

Because while I like to be silly (and poke fun at apple) at the appropriate times, I also like to have deep and meaningful conversations about electronics and whatnot without having a fanboy come up and start a pointless argument.

and some people (no one in specific) need to cut their... stuff they're doing with the "Inb4 lock" and whatnot. It doesn't add to the conversation, it doesn't help the OP if the OP is asking a question, and it basically does nothing productive. If you think a thread should be locked/is spam, report it and move on.
12th June 2013, 03:17 PM |#6  
_Variable's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 290
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by estabien

This is all really silly.
I actually saw the iOS7 thread from your link and wow, I would've loved to just discuss the operating system without anyone saying "Apple sucks Android 5ever hahahaha if you think iOS is worth talking about you're wrong omg!"

Because while I like to be silly (and poke fun at apple) at the appropriate times, I also like to have deep and meaningful conversations about electronics and whatnot without having a fanboy come up and start a pointless argument.

and some people (no one in specific) need to cut their... stuff they're doing with the "Inb4 lock" and whatnot. It doesn't add to the conversation, it doesn't help the OP if the OP is asking a question, and it basically does nothing productive. If you think a thread should be locked/is spam, report it and move on.

THIS. Summed up my though process whenever I see a thread "trolled'
12th June 2013, 03:18 PM |#7  
conantroutman's Avatar
Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Thanks Meter: 7,550
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak700


EDIT While you guys are here, could you basically define Off Topic? I mean, we have something completely off topic and that's in no way related to XDA and there is some "off topic" that somewhat related, like tech stuff. Currently there is a bit of confusion over this that brings a lot "spam" over here.

Anything not related to the devices or development for them. This however is not the appropriate time for a "what is OT?" discussion or "My (insert device here) off topic thread relates to the device and should be moved back to that forum" discussion.

This is about making sure that the off topic forum is accessible to all without being needlessly trolled or made to feel in any way unwelcome.
12th June 2013, 03:22 PM |#8  
Seraz007's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Whatcha looking at?
Thanks Meter: 3,043
 
More
Hmm okay Points noted (No sarcasm)

That means no more Lulz?
12th June 2013, 03:28 PM |#9  
mark manning's Avatar
Moderator Committee Lead - Illuminati Confirmed
Flag Nusquam et ubique
Thanks Meter: 10,785
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraz007

Hmm okay Points noted (No sarcasm)

That means no more Lulz?

Not true at all. No one wants to take the fun away. We just ask that you respect the rules and don't have your fun at the expense of others or their threads

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium
12th June 2013, 03:30 PM |#10  
Seraz007's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Whatcha looking at?
Thanks Meter: 3,043
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark manning

Not true at all. No one wants to take the fun away. We just ask that you respect the rules and don't have your fun at the expense of others or their threads

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

umm okay then...
12th June 2013, 03:43 PM |#11  
freakboy13's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 420
 
More
Ironically ibtl posts were always a no no afair. Thanks for reclarifying this issue.
This is a good thread. I can see some thinking this sucks but when mods post threads like this it actually shows they care about their site. I could mention a few other forums where they don't.
Nice write up.
:thumbup:
:beer:

sent from my T.A.R.T.I.S
(Time And Relative Tarts In Space)
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes