Have you been affected by the Jan 5 kill switch? Yes or no?

Search This thread

kat3k

Nov 22, 2010
Will be interesting to see whether blocking updates will have worked, and how far Samsung/carriers are willing to go, and whether or not that can be avoided. Although this is the day they forecast, it will obviously be ongoing. I am trying to hold on until the next Note or until I'm incentivized beyond what I can resist. After paying a lot, driving 200 miles and waiting in line (twice), configuring and reconfiguring the replacement, and buying cases and screen protectors, I'd like to hold on to the perfect phone until something better comes along.

ziva1

Jun 11, 2007
It still charges well

Used Debloater to block updates. My AT&T Note 7 still recharges. :D

OkayGK

Jun 8, 2013
TORONTO
Im sure everyone will be okay and i doubt US companies will let Samsung go ahead with the IMEI block.
You guys all are safe, enjoy your phones =)
Knock on wood lol

alimojabi

Jan 7, 2017
Need help unbricking galaxy note 7

can anyone please help me unbrick my VZW Note 7. i was trying to root it before they sent the kill update and i totally screwed the pooch. it is completely dead now, like all the way. doesn't turn on or anything. i have been able to download the Qualcomm driver and can now see "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" in my device manager, but cant get anything else to work. tried QFIL but that gives me a "Sahara Fail" error. please let me know. i really don't understand how this can be so hard, isn't it just a miniaturized computer. i mean, i should be able to load whatever i want on it, right? any ideas will help. please. i even removed the back and unplugged the battery to use the QFIL, as stated on a tutorial i read, but that did nothing. i cant even tell if its charging when i plug it in.

krowdpleeza

Nov 29, 2007
How is everyone able to keep their phones safe from the update? I've resorted to turning off my WiFi in order to prevent it from downloading, but I'm hoping you all have a better solution. Especially those who say they're able to charge their phones to 100%.

Bellmont

Oct 12, 2010
I'm still at 100% with no issues

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

Im sure everyone will be okay and i doubt US companies will let Samsung go ahead with the IMEI block.
You guys all are safe, enjoy your phones =)
Knock on wood lol
I see IMEI cleaners on Craigslist, so there is that if they decide to go that route.

OkayGK

Jun 8, 2013
TORONTO
I'm still at 100% with no issues

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 AM ----------

I see IMEI cleaners on Craigslist, so there is that if they decide to go that route.

thats not going to work. Its not just IMEI ban there are more things in play. With that said few people in Australia were able to switch their imei to S7 edge and the phone is working fine.
Here in Canada I have yet to see one phone being put back online. Keeping my fingers crossed, hope we get there.
But going back to your post again, we have lots of add on kijiji and creglist too, i know for a fact non of them can fix the Canadian W8 vesion.
I still keep hoping, not returning my N7

JN3WMN

Jul 8, 2013
All good here on the east coast. Still 100% with zero issues. Looks like the blocking apps are doing their job ?

can anyone please help me unbrick my VZW Note 7. i was trying to root it before they sent the kill update and i totally screwed the pooch. it is completely dead now, like all the way. doesn't turn on or anything. i have been able to download the Qualcomm driver and can now see "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" in my device manager, but cant get anything else to work. tried QFIL but that gives me a "Sahara Fail" error. please let me know. i really don't understand how this can be so hard, isn't it just a miniaturized computer. i mean, i should be able to load whatever i want on it, right? any ideas will help. please. i even removed the back and unplugged the battery to use the QFIL, as stated on a tutorial i read, but that did nothing. i cant even tell if its charging when i plug it in.

Can you boot to Download or Recovery Mode? If your phone is completely dead at the moment, make sure it's actively plugged in. And, if you can, do not use the Samsung branded charger. They talk to each other and you don't want them talking crap behind your back. Just cable to USB or cable to another brand of wall charger. Once plugged in, try to boot to Download or Recovery Mode.

It has to be able to boot to one of those. The liability would be huge if Samsung had no way to reverse that. What if someone had a user name + password texted to them, from a legitimate law office, for a Will Reading from a long lost rich relative that no one in your family knew existed, let alone, had money... I know that's super random, but I'm basically saying that "Unexpected Sh!t Happens". Murphy Rule, if you will. There will be something...

Get back with us and let us know.

kat3k

Nov 22, 2010
Well, that's good news. It appears this time bomb was a bit of a dud. I've had an earlier version of EZ Disabler installed and have system updates disabled. So far, so good.

bklynfire

Sep 26, 2007
here is my update. I have a note 7 on sprint.

I had automatic download disabled, and one of the programs that bloc everything. is still automatically downloaded, it gave me a choice to delay install till overnight but 2 hours ago is rebooted and installed anyhow, now my battery is at 41% not charging anymore, and one the battery goes down to 0 game over. my new phone has not arrived. any options for me out there?

please help, I need to save all my data.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so now I have to chime in.....GO BACK!!!
    Are you going to a corporate store? Not sure if third party stores are honoring the recall(they should), but not sure. Anyways... its in their system to do an exchange on the spot pending device you want is available. Now the refund part, I haven't seen or heard of one being done inside the store, but exchange should be no issue. You shouldn't even have to call customer care, its in their policy to exchange this device due to the recall. I have seen completely shattered Note 7 walk into the corporate store I go to with nothing else in hand but the phone and was given an exchange no questions. I know the entire store staff and they want to get you in and out as to get to the next customer to make sales since most of your accessories(case/glass screen protector) will just be swapped out. If it is a corporate store and the store manager says they are not exchanging your phone, call customer care and they will either call the store themselves or notate your account. The only reason I can see you getting resistance AND it being a corporate store is if they have very low/limited stock and the manager doesn't want to lose the bulk of their inventory to Note 7 exchanges.

Heck Ya. Like I said above, something sounds fishy here.
    If they want to play hardball just tape the Note7 to your chest and walk in the store with the SPen in hand and your thumb on the clicker. It might help to yell terroristic threats simultaneously....they will listen then. :good:
    :DT-mobile, works fine with blocking & 100% battery stat. Hahaa, fingers crossed.