Micro USB Cable: They all break. Any help?

Search This thread

Colton127

Oct 7, 2011
N/A
Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:
21A0F8EolnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

It's not the device; it's the cord. I checked. I tested.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!

steez003

Aug 25, 2011
I don't think I've had one USB (whether it be regular or micro) ever break on me. You must be doing something wrong with them lol

But seriously, not one.

docskurlock

Nov 3, 2010
How do I use it? Plug it in phone, plug it in wall/computer, let it sit and charge.

This happened to me, my mom, and my sister - all using different, unique cables and different phones.

Twisting the cables or winding them very tight can cause the wires to break. I coil mine very loosely and I'm well over two months into the use of this cable.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

H

hafizshalihin

Connecting to a computer via USB

You can connect your phone to a computer with a USB cable, to transfer music, pictures, and other files between your phone and the computer. Your phone stores these files in internal USB storage or on a removable SD card, depending on your model of phone (see your phone’s owner’s guide for details about its features).

WARNING! When connecting your phone to a computer and mounting its USB storage or SD card, you must follow your computer’s instructions for connecting and disconnecting USB devices, to avoid damaging or corrupting files.

If you are using USB tethering, you must turn that off before you can use USB to transfer files between your phone and computer. See Sharing your phone’s mobile data connection.

Connect your phone to a computer via USB

1. Use the USB cable that came with your phone to connect the phone to a USB port on your computer.
You receive a notification that the USB is connected.

2. Open the Notifications panel and touch USB connected.
For details on working with the Notifications panel, see Managing notifications.

3. Touch Turn on USB storage in the screen that opens to confirm that you want to transfer files.
When the phone is connected as USB storage, the screen indicates that USB storage is in use and you receive a notification.

Your phone’s USB storage or SD card is mounted as a drive on your computer. You can now copy files back and forth. For more information, see the documentation for your computer.

During this time, you can’t access the USB storage or SD card from your phone, so you can’t use applications that rely on them, such as Camera, Gallery, and Music. You also can’t share your phone’s data connection with your computer via USB.

Disconnect your phone from the computer

WARNING! Carefully follow your computer’s instructions to unmount the USB storage or SD card and disconnect USB devices correctly, to avoid losing information.

1. Unmount the USB storage or SD card on your computer.
2. Open the Notifications panel and touch Turn off USB storage.
3. Touch Turn off USB storage in the screen that opens.
Safely remove an SD card from your phone

If your phone has an SD card (rather than internal USB storage), you can safely remove the SD card from your phone any time the phone is turned off, as described in your phone’s owner’s guide. If you need to remove the SD card while the phone is on, you must unmount the SD card form the phone first, to prevent corrupting or damaging the SD card.

1. Press Home , press Menu , and touch Settings, to open the Settings application.
2. Touch Storage.
3. Touch Unmount.
You can now safely remove the SD card from the phone.

Erase your phone’s USB storage or SD card

If your phone uses an SD card, you may need to erase a new one before you can use it with your phone. You can also erase your phone’s USB storage or SD card, for example, if you are giving the phone or SD card to someone else and want to erase your personal information from it. (See Factory data reset for information on erasing all the data on your phone.)

1. Press Home , press Menu , and touch Settings, to open the Settings application.
2. Touch Storage.
3. Touch Erase. On the screen that warns you that formatting will erase its contents, touch Erase.

irc.png

Devices:

Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570
ROM: Xperia Kanata Edition v1.1
CPU Speed: 806 Mhz
Recovery: CWM 5.0.2.8 Touch 2 by Squadzone

Last edited:

liltbrockie

Aug 1, 2010
Note: By Micro USB Cable, I mean the cable that connects to your phone/tablet and to the wall/computer in order to charge and/or sync. In a thousand words, this:

I've owned multiple cables just like this. They all break. The one that came with my Samsung Galaxy S II, the one that came with my mother's HTC Evo 4G, the one that came with my sisters Samsung dumbphone, and every one I've bought at Wal-Mart or Dollar general. Every. Freaking. One. Breaks within two months.

Does anybody else have this issue? Does anybody know where I can buy a HIGH-QUALITY WILL-NOT-BREAK Micro USB cable?

It's downright stupid to me how big companies like Samsung or HTC packs charging cables that break so easily. My mom has gotten multiple replacements from Sprint from hers breaking.

Also, 70% of the time, they don't completely break. They just work in a certain direction, and touching your device or the cable will disconnect it. Sometimes they will disconnect and reconnect hundreds of times a minute, completely crashing your device or making loud, annoying sounds letting you know your device is charging or not.

Please, I need some help. I googled this. Nothing very useful. This is getting on my nerves.

Thanks for the help!

TOTALLY agree with you... been through soooo many cables.... at first I thought oh no its my phone but then I tried another cable and it worked.... I must have been through about 15 cables in the past couple of years... its crazy that no one makes a high quality micro usb cable

takmayo

Mar 26, 2012
Mumbai
TOTALLY agree with you... been through soooo many cables.... at first I thought oh no its my phone but then I tried another cable and it worked.... I must have been through about 15 cables in the past couple of years... its crazy that no one makes a high quality micro usb cable

You mean break as in the micro usb side metal thingy (the tiny side) actually breaks off or something internal that it stops connecting to the pc / start charging?

My Xperia X10 came with a pretty sturdy cable comparatively, now that I read what you faced. Its nearly two years old... No problems at all.. Maybe you can give it a try :)

Sent from my X10S using xda app-developers app

rlmesq

May 13, 2011
I just buy cables from Monoprice. They seem to be just as good as name-brand cables, but they're really cheap... like a fifth the cost of generic cables from a big box store,, and a small fraction of the ripoff premium cables.

When I order, I just stock up because shipping is about the same if you're buying one cable or dozens.

Reactions: guated and crashff

ffforce

Jul 26, 2009
I would say that it breaks because of the way you handle it. I've never had a cable breaking on me.

When you plug in and out, make sure you hold it not by the cable, but at the plug. This protects the joint between the cable and the plug. Also, do not wiggle the plug. Just in and out, perpendicular to the connector. This way, you won't loosen the connectors and damage them.

foggyflute

Dec 13, 2008
HCMC
buy Sony Ericsson EC600L or EC600R
It build like a tank, softtouch coated cable, rubberized connector base.
The down side:this big cable is not flexible, can not fold it, can not fit it into small pocket at all.

EC600L_01-600x600.jpg

stephendt0

Apr 9, 2012
QLD, Australia
Where can one obtain cables which are just as good as originals, for only a few bucks? I'm looking at ebay atm. I've bought a few which have been OK, but not as good as the original ones. I've ordered a few different ones anyway, will see which give the best results.

Mikezilla

Jul 8, 2012
Rochester, NY
I just buy cables from Monoprice. They seem to be just as good as name-brand cables, but they're really cheap... like a fifth the cost of generic cables from a big box store,, and a small fraction of the ripoff premium cables.

When I order, I just stock up because shipping is about the same if you're buying one cable or dozens.

This. I'll order 10 - 20 at a time and carry them around with me. If someone else needs one, I'll sell it to them for a buck or two. If not, I just always have one just in case.

arberthebarber

Apr 19, 2010

Thanks for the help!

I've never broken a micro usb cable in my life. I have the official samsung usb cable, a ebay $1.77 micro usb, and the blackberry microusb cable and never broke. My blackberry one I've had it for 2 years now and its been through hell and still running strong hell I've even bent the port and it still works perfectly fine. I don't know what your doing but I recommend just buying a ****load of ebay microusb cables if you keep breaking them .

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160829665184...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3885wt_1344 just message them and tell them you want to buy like 10+ and they'll probably sell you them at $1.25 each or so. THats the best cable under $5 i've ever boughten

rebista

Nov 26, 2011
Never had a broken usb cable.
However, it's not cheap but maybe the bobine would suit you better
http://www.fusechicken.com/
I figure it's sturdy. So whatever it is you are doing to the cables maybe this one can withstand it
As a side effect it acts as a stand too

Reactions: harryville
Feb 20, 2012
Never coil too tightly, twist, pull or fold any cables as it might tear the wires inside. Try treating your cables better? :X

Nora D

May 29, 2011
I've always wondered about the varied reports of high failure rates in various cables/dongles/usb cords.

At the time I bought my Nook Color, those cables were being panned for being incredibly flimsy. I got an original "green dot" partition one too, yet my cable is still lasting just fine with no problems. Others have said the same. Like all my cables, when not in use it's loosely coiled and secured in the coil with a velcro strap. When in use I never pull or push by the wires.

Now headphones, I go through those like water. Because of my lifestyle, they're often getting yanked on one end or the other, no matter how hard I try to avoid that. The thin wires eventually detach from the contact point of the jack or the speaker.

I wonder if it's really, as some have suggested, how the cables are being treated?

ananmetro

Jul 21, 2012
Chennai
Buy cables which has atleast minimum warranty and don't always look for cheaper price products on online shopping. as like everyone, use cable in proper way, plug and unplug gently don't shake while plug-in.

I had a micro usb cable for multi purpose, works as data transfer cable to PC and also as charger cable. very soon, micro usb point gone. now i bought original item from showroom.

rlmesq

May 13, 2011
Buy cables which has atleast minimum warranty and don't always look for cheaper price products on online shopping. as like everyone, use cable in proper way, plug and unplug gently don't shake while plug-in.

I had a micro usb cable for multi purpose, works as data transfer cable to PC and also as charger cable. very soon, micro usb point gone. now i bought original item from showroom.

For the cost of one "original item from showroom," you could buy about twenty microUSB cables from Monoprice, which are guaranteed for life. However, I doubt that I would waste the postage to return one of their inexpensive cables.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!

OP - find a connector housing made in one piece.

Wow, what unhelpful posts from our colleagues. I hate when people post useless responses to my inquiries. "I don't have that problem" or "Use it differently/more gingerly." are sooo not helpful responses. OP, I agree: You should be able to use a micro USB cable in a normal fashion and it should be relatively durable - it shouldn't break when you twist it a little or unplug it without being super careful. It's a phone - not a piece of delicate china.

That being said, OP you might try the cables from Belkin. I have had decent luck with durability of those cables, although they are not of the design I like (Belkin is two-piece construction).

I have found that cables with one piece construction (plastic housing) on the micro side hold up the best. To explain: notice on the picture you posted that the cable has a seam on the micro USB side's plastic housing. This means the plastic housing was constructed in 2 pieces, stamped together. I find that the metal micro USB connector comes loose and wiggles in the plastic housing when it is made from 2 pieces (seam, stamped together). When the plastic housing is a single piece (no seam), it is usually more durable. Also, if you find one made of hard plastic, not of rubbery plastic, those are more durable

The photo attached is a jawbone micro USB connector of one piece design (no seam around the plastic). It is pretty durable. Unfortunately this cable is really short. This cable is also made of rubbery plastic, so I don't expect it to stand up to much normal use.
    Back to a post several pages ago... just go to Monoprice.com and stock up. Their cables are higher quality than the ones at dollar stores and cheaper, too... plus they have an assortment of lengths.

While you're at it, pick up some HDMI cables for a couple of bucks apiece, instead of the $20+ you'd spend at Best Buy (or more, if you pay extra for Monster Cable hype).

Shipping is flat rate, so you pay the same whether you buy one cable or dozens. I buy a big box of cables once a year and always have spares for projects, new equipment and friends in need.