[Q] Signal issues with Samsung Galaxy S4

Search This thread
May 29, 2013
i lost my signal yesterday, it comes on for 5 seconds then i get the blocked signal with a circle, the phone chooses when to accept my card randomly....not sure what is going on with it recently.

mathiaskt

Dec 12, 2009
I have been having the same issue from the day I took the contract with THREE UK. I have the GT-I9505. I do get the circle with the bar and it will reconnect although it does take some time. I also get the following message (Not registered to network). When this happens, I can't make nor receive calls. I returned the phone to Carphonewarehouse for repair - this was after THREE had replaced the sim. They told me the phone has been repaired. Asked what was repaired and was told some firmware upgrade. I still have the same problem although the frequency has reduced. Will put a different provider sim on the phone for a few days and see what happens.

samsungdriven

Jun 26, 2013
same issue

Hi,
I have GT-I9500 in India with Carrier Airtel. I got the MEA build update last week OTA. No Issues. Then i was having Some USB issues and gave the Phone to my local samsung service center yesterday, they said it was just a connector issue and software was not touched, now today, since morning i keep loosing my operator, says operator not available, auto switching between 2G and 3G (staying mostly in 2G)..and basically showing signal strength as 0 bars, where other people with same carrier are getting full strength, swaped my friends sim from his NEXUS 4, my sim in his phone is giving full strength, but his sim in my Phone is giving same 0 signal, Thus i feel it is a fone issue. Searching all day online but Except XDA and Sprint community , nobody seems to be Talking/Having this issue!! Bought it Just 20 days ago after spending so much on it and now i get this issue. Anyone out there who has any fixes or advice please help. I suspect that the software may have been tampered at the service center and hoping samsung to release update.Thanks in advance.

samsungdriven

Jun 26, 2013
same issue

Hi,
I have GT-I9500 in India with Carrier Airtel. I got the MEA build update last week OTA. No Issues. Then i was having Some USB issues and gave the Phone to my local samsung service center yesterday, they said it was just a connector issue and software was not touched, now today, since morning i keep loosing my operator, says operator not available, auto switching between 2G and 3G (staying mostly in 2G)..and basically showing signal strength as 0 bars, where other people with same carrier are getting full strength, swaped my friends sim from his NEXUS 4, my sim in his phone is giving full strength, but his sim in my Phone is giving same 0 signal, Thus i feel it is a fone issue. Searching all day online but Except XDA and Sprint community , nobody seems to be Talking/Having this issue!! Bought it Just 20 days ago after spending so much on it and now i get this issue. Anyone out there who has any fixes or advice please help. I suspect that the software may have been tampered at the service center and hoping samsung to release update.Thanks in advance.

Also when i check my phone's signal strength, its always around -95dbi to 109dbi... any1 else having similar issues.

bryanfarme

Apr 30, 2011
I am also having the same issue in the UK. Bought an S4 from EE but was unlocked to any network from Carphone Warehouse. I used my Three micro sim previously from my Nexus 4 (which had no issues) and it worked fine for the first week but then the signal kept dropping and have looked at so many possible fixes. The best I have now is that I can make outgoing calls and receive them but absolutely no internet whatsoever. I have tried a work Vodafone sim card and I get exactly the same. It's reassuring to know that others have the same problem as it rules out that I have done something wrong with the device itself. I am about to flash the latest Three firmware for the S4 from Sammobile with Odin to see if that will help, but failing that I think i'm going to have to call Samsung tomorrow. This is really a joke for such an expensive piece of hardware! Anyone else contacted Samsung about it yet?

samsungdriven

Jun 26, 2013
I am also having the same issue in the UK. Bought an S4 from EE but was unlocked to any network from Carphone Warehouse. I used my Three micro sim previously from my Nexus 4 (which had no issues) and it worked fine for the first week but then the signal kept dropping and have looked at so many possible fixes. The best I have now is that I can make outgoing calls and receive them but absolutely no internet whatsoever. I have tried a work Vodafone sim card and I get exactly the same. It's reassuring to know that others have the same problem as it rules out that I have done something wrong with the device itself. I am about to flash the latest Three firmware for the S4 from Sammobile with Odin to see if that will help, but failing that I think i'm going to have to call Samsung tomorrow. This is really a joke for such an expensive piece of hardware! Anyone else contacted Samsung about it yet?

@bryanfarme: Please flash your fone with stock/latest firmware and let us know if this issue is fixed, it can either be defective antenna( hardware) , or the internal modem driver are malfunctioning, that is, not recievivg signal even though it is available, in case of software issue, flashing should fix it, if it its not fixed even after flashing, then we all hv to ask for replacement from samsung!!
Waiting for your results, please keep us in the loop. Also , FYI , yesterday i got a 28.5 mb update(MF5 Build), thought that might fix this issue , but it didnt, improved for sure , but the problem is still there. And i downloaded the update OTA , i was standing literally arms length from a tower, got full signal and full 3g. SO the antenna does work.

ingmadal

May 18, 2012
Bologna
I live in Italy, I have an SGS4 (i9505) since the end of May (I previously had a SGS2).
Operator THREE IT, which gives me full data connection only when connected to its network in 3G, while I can use the phone also in roaming, but only for calls/text messages.
Well (not so, indeed...), since day one the connection is really awful.
Signal strength very poor, and always switching to roaming.
The problems I'm facing to are mainly 2:
- really slow switching (i.e., when it goes to roaming - 2G -, then I have to wait A LOT before it switches back to UMTS...so no data and welcome back good old time and its dumb phones....)
- very poor connection strength.

I also often see the slashed circle, but fortunately it recover itself in a (not so) short time.
Modem MEA.
A lot of users in Italy are dealing with the same issues, especially with three.
I'm waiting for a customized version of modem, which unfortunately doesn't exist now.

mmmmpf
Al

izoydi

Jun 30, 2013
I live in Turkey. İ have same problem since i bougt... when i turn on mobil data, my mobil signal lost. Later continuously as soon as signal awailable and immediately lost...I should not turn on the data network is not stable.I installed a number of different rom, kernel, modem but i dont solve...i regret to buy this phone...Have you any solve? please help...

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

Hi,

i have similar problem...have you any solve..thanks

pixavz

Jun 29, 2010
I had the same issue.

fix: turn off 4G LTE and go with 4G service until tmo upgrades all towers
settings>connections>more networks>mobile networks>network mode>GSM/WCDMA ...not LTE

devilpriest

Jan 13, 2012
I am facing the same problem; it worked fine yesterday (so it shouldn't be the antenna), but now it's just not getting signal at all; and when I dial *#1234# it doesn't show the modem version; which leads me to believe this is a modem issue... even though I've flashed latest NEE firmware.

nadimac

Aug 21, 2011
B/quilla
BAD signnal?

I Have this same issue, im in colombia with tigo as my provider the problem is that im in zones with good signal strength and suddenly i lose all off the signal ...have a i9500

I have the same problem from colombia TIGO and went appers the circle stay, and well.... i need to reboot and work againt :( is a problem with the phone or is the operator? SIM?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well i think ive just about messages everybody in this thread, and i apologies if the information is not relevant to you, or if ive sent more than one message.

Just for those of you who havent received the pm, or join the thread later, ill explain what I have had issues with, and what Samsung have not done about it.

I have had 6 S4's and 2 S4 actives, and the issues are all the same. Randomly at least once a day the phone will fail to reconnect to the network even if you return to an area with exceptional reception. You know you have an issue when the phone shows the signal indicator but with no white bars, or shows you have data but with the O with a cross through, or just shows the O with a cross through, and this doesn't change even when in that area of exceptional reception. The only way to resolve it is to restart the phone.

This is the message I have sent to everybody in this thread thus far, and if you are in the uk, i would ask that you contact samsung about it until they take it seriously.

S4 Issues, and what we need to do to get them resolved.

I too have experienced the same issue as you having gone through no less than 6 Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets, and 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Active handsets (yes it sounds unbelievable but I can assure you its true). I believe that this sample of handsets gives a pretty good indication that I have not simply been unlucky and received a handset from a faulty batch etc. I have been in talks with Samsung for the last 2 months, and while they have acknowledged to me in an email that they have managed to reproduce the issue we are all experiencing, they appear to not be taking the issue seriously enough and have given no indications that they intend to fix it. After months of promising to update myself regarding their investigation and any possible fix, they are now flatly refused to speak to me anymore about this issue, apparently sweeping it under the carpet and giving the impression that they do not intend to resolve it.

If you are in the UK, I urge you to contact the Samsung UK executive office on uk.execoffice@samsung.com and explain the issue you are experiencing. They claim nobody else other than my wife, my friend and me are experiencing it, and they don’t appear committed to fixing it. Other useful email addresses are griffiths.a@samsung.com and stanford.s@samsung.com who I believe are both the CEO and head of samsung mobile, and also the CEO in Korea o.kwon@samsung.com who has up until now failed to respond to emails. Failing this, demand that Samsung refund you for your faulty handset as the entire S4 range clearly has a manufacturing defect which samsung are unwilling to address or fix.
    What version of Galaxy S4 are you using the 4G (i9505) or the 3G (i9500)?
    If i9505, then is it the Australian version? or you import it, if you're using either the i9500 try setting up the appropriate APN from here.

Well its GT-I9500 model bought from kogan I am sure this must have been imported from Hong Kong. Will the APN still work?

Actually try this one instead.

In the Menu go to Settings -> Wireless & networks-> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> add New APN and key the following settings

Internet APN Settings:
    Name : Lyca AU
    APN : data.lycamobile.com.au
    Proxy : <Not Set>
    Port : <Not Set>
    Username : lmau
    Password : plus
    Server : <Not Set>
    MMSC : <Not Set>
    MMS Proxy : <Not Set>
    MMS Port : <Not Set>
    MCC : 505
    MNC : 19
    Authentication type : <Not Set>
    APN Type : <Not Set>
    I have a similar issue

I've switched my phone to GSM only and its been working ever since.. Not Ideal but it may help trace the issue
    I reslove problem, by sold S4 and i bought a clone and now i dont have signal issue anymore ;)
    Hello Samsung Friends ;)

Since the last update i have the following problem:
    My Samsung Galaxy S4 is on 3G Mode and get no connect.
    Only if its switching to H+ internet work.

The secound problem is similar to yours.
    Sometime there isnt any sign of Netzwork Connectivity.
    No circle, no 3g no h, nothing.

I had to turn on the plane mode tu get internet back.
    thats very very boring.

now i set the configuration from one of the writer bevore me here.
    This option in the Mobile Connections - > that the s4 isnt looking for lte.
    Now i tested it for 10 minutes and its everyting perfekt.
    But i still test it. ;)

for people who use lte its no answer.
    But if this is the problem, that would mean samsung have big problems with lte

greetings :fingers-crossed:

I am experiencing the same almost exact issues with my I9500. I have flashed between modems firmwares and so on. Still no fix.