Galaxy Tab 2 - 10.1inch, Honeycomb?

Search This thread

peestandingup

Nov 10, 2009
The one good thing I take from this announcement is that Samsung are going to use stock Honeycomb. No TouchWiz or other such nonsense. If all Android tablet makers follow this approach then this is a significant win for Google and Android in general. It will make the OS much more focussed and identifiable. I'd still expect manufacturers will try and **** around with customers as you put it. It just seems to be in the genes of such companies to do that...

Really?? Thats certainly a good thing then. I just wonder where the updates will come from though. Google, or the carriers?? If its the carriers, then it'll likely be business as usual.

paulshields

Nov 17, 2006
Liverpool
Really?? Thats certainly a good thing then. I just wonder where the updates will come from though. Google, or the carriers?? If its the carriers, then it'll likely be business as usual.

Yes, Samsung have stated that it'll be pure Honeycomb. The new LG Optimus shown yesterday at Barcelona, and of course the Xoom, are also classed as "Google Experience Devices" running stock Android Honeycomb. Looks like Google have knocked some CEO heads together. If they want to tackle the iPad juggernaut then they need to be presenting a united and consistent alternative.

jamiemac1977

Jan 7, 2011
London, UK
Yes, Samsung have stated that it'll be pure Honeycomb. The new LG Optimus shown yesterday at Barcelona, and of course the Xoom, are also classed as "Google Experience Devices" running stock Android Honeycomb. Looks like Google have knocked some CEO heads together. If they want to tackle the iPad juggernaut then they need to be presenting a united and consistent alternative.

I hope you are right, and that they have kicked these manufacturers into touch a little,

a little togetherness will stop the fanboi's calling "fragmentation" everytime android is mentioned.

It will be nice to have honeycomb though, but it's not essential, as email, browsing and flash and games works OK as is on the 7" on froyo :rolleyes:

Last edited:

spartacusrex

Jan 25, 2011
www.spartacusrex.com
All Samsung and the other manufacturers have to do to keep me happy is release the drivers/code for their devices and none of this signed bootloader BS.

The rest is up to us. :cool:

(And by 'us', I mean ROTOHAMMER, TechnoMancer, Paul O'Brian.. and all the rest of you total HEROS !! .. not little old me.. :p )

foxmeister

Mar 10, 2008
Ealing
All Samsung and the other manufacturers have to do to keep me happy is release the drivers/code for their devices and none of this signed bootloader BS.

Agree wholeheartedly!

I've no problem with Samsung or any other manufacturer abandoning their devices after a period (say a year), just so long as they make it easy for the developer community to support these devices.

Having said that, an official Honeycomb ROM from Samsung is definitely the minimum I'd expect for the Tab. Failing that, if there are issues supporting Honeycomb on the Tab due to the single core, Ice Cream Sandwich (2.4), though we've been told before that dual core is not a requirement for Honeycomb.

Regards,

Dave

alex2792

Jun 6, 2010
There is no technical reason for Sammy to not give us honeycomb since the nook can run it pretty well and the tab has a way better CPU/gpu. I'm sure that we will be getting a honeycomb port shortly after Xoom releases,but it wont be coming from Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

vamp6x6x6x

Aug 21, 2010
www.iandroidandmore.com
There is no technical reason for Sammy to not give us honeycomb since the nook can run it pretty well and the tab has a way better CPU/gpu. I'm sure that we will be getting a honeycomb port shortly after Xoom releases,but it wont be coming from Samsung.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

I suppose that is true bc as you know samsung takes forever to update anything. And I for one would love to have honeycomb this year at least.

eozen81

Oct 4, 2010
Istanbul
It's really unexpected I think for Samsung to go with a 10'' tab after 7''. Most people had chosen GTab due to it's mobility advantage but now with Gtab lost it's this advantage against Ipad & Ipad2. Sure Honeycomb is great but If we are talkin about apps/games, Android has to much way to go against IOS.

vamp6x6x6x

Aug 21, 2010
www.iandroidandmore.com
It's really unexpected I think for Samsung to go with a 10'' tab after 7''. Most people had chosen GTab due to it's mobility advantage but now with Gtab lost it's this advantage against Ipad & Ipad2. Sure Honeycomb is great but If we are talkin about apps/games, Android has to much way to go against IOS.

I agree, the 7" was Samsung's main market point. I must admit I was convinced to maybe get the 10.1" or even a Xoom...but now I realize that I have a good tab(galaxy Tab) that I can even fit into my pockets for on the go and I just don't see that happening with the 10.1"

...well, there is I guess if I could get my hands on some timelord pants(bugger on the inside)...sorry big Doctor Who fan...

paulshields

Nov 17, 2006
Liverpool
I am still confused on whether i should wait for the 10.1' or just get the 7'

Probably not the answer you want, but get both :). I've had an iPad since day one but it sees very little use since the Galaxy Tab came out. However that's more my increasing disdain towards where Apple is taking iOS than anything else. I'll be in the market for a decent Android 10" tablet come the spring/summer. The Galaxy Tab is useful for 90% of my needs - portability, flexibility etc. When I'm home and slumped on the sofa then a 10" may take its place. As Android is so flexible when it comes to running multiple devices I just see them as just different entry points into my central data. Phone, tablet, bigger tablet - they each have their benefits and drawbacks. I'm expecting Ice Cream to be available for my nexus one around summertime, and it may well be the best OS for the Tab too (as hardware-wise it's more of a big phone than a smaller tablet - those 4 physical buttons make it so), and of course Honeycomb on the new 10" tablets.

Cyber Warrior

For my needs I'm glad I didn't wait for The SGT2. For me...7" is the perfect size for viewing and portability. My Galaxy Tab fits perfect in my pocket if I have to but I just carry it around in its case. I figured anything 7" and above and I might as well carry around my 10" laptop. I can see the 10" Tab being used more around the house.