FRX04 Bundle and FRX05 Update

Search This thread

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
I have.

Changed kernel yesterday to the last autobuild one, with cam libs - Everything ok.

Today I changed system.ext2 to FRX05, deleted libs, modified froyo.user.conf - Same behaviour. I feel it more responsive, can be placebo. But cam definately works faster.

BTW, do you get sound with camcorder? I do...

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
Hi Eodun,

I'm using FRX04 right now. To upgrade to FRX05, all I have to do is replacing the system.ext2 file right?

It seems you mentioned multiple things to replace? I'm a bit confused. Please explain.

So, the overall system is more responsive, or only the camera?
I don't use the camera that much, but its nice to have it works, when Skype Video comes out, hope that will be useable.

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=951981

Got FRX04 working on my blackstone nicely - has anyone updated to FRX05 yet?

FRX04 works nicely on Blackstone indeed, with a few startup.txt entries added to overclock, prevent 'waiting for sd' and keep it out of deep sleep. :p
I used the one from the babijoee thread
I only had the camera working once (pics and video) but i can't remember if it was FRX04 with viruscrazy's camera modules/libs or the Froyo X Red distribution. Been swapping modules and complete bundles so much, need to start keeping logs. ;)

Currently testing Gingerbread but will have a go with the FRX05 systemext2, and see what modules run best.

@Eodun:
last autobuild one, with cam libs
and
FRX05, deleted libs, modified froyo.user.conf
means all separate things, right? Or if i want to try this do i have to go into the system.ext2?

Last edited:

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
one more question, is replacing the system.ext2 file will cause the entire system becomes new again? (I mean will it retain the applications that have been installed, and the user data, provided the user data file remains there.

Thanks!

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
one more question, is replacing the system.ext2 file will cause the entire system becomes new again? (I mean will it retain the applications that have been installed, and the user data, provided the user data file remains there.

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, all settings and apps are in the data.img

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
Hi Eodun,

I'm using FRX04 right now. To upgrade to FRX05, all I have to do is replacing the system.ext2 file right?

It seems you mentioned multiple things to replace? I'm a bit confused. Please explain.

So, the overall system is more responsive, or only the camera?
I don't use the camera that much, but its nice to have it works, when Skype Video comes out, hope that will be useable.

If you had the camera working with the test kernel, then yes, do as I say in my post. You will need the last autobuild kernel and to clean froyo.user.conf from ln and mount --bind statements besides the new system.ext2, as everything about camera is included there.

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
@Eodun: and means all separate things, right? Or if i want to try this do i have to go into the system.ext2?

Yeah, 2 different tests.

The best way to go, anyway, is to keep data.img and ts-calibration, wipe andboot folder, get FRX04 full bundle, replace system.ext2 with FRX05 one and restore the first files to andboot folder.

That way you'll have a pretty clean install. If any problem, as always, first thing is to backup data.img and see if it works with a new one.

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
BTW, how's your battery performing?

Tonight I left it fully charged. After 6 hours, it was at 56%. So 44% spent with phone unused at all (but wifi and sync was on, as I received mail).

ypsmav

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 10, 2009
EU
Hi,
I've updated to FRX5 yesterday, and so far much better/faster than FRX4.
Camera and camcorder works fine.
Battery life for me is similar to FRX04.

The old issues still unsolved (at lest for me) are:
a) Bluetooth not working (for me the most important to use it on daily basis):
- Calls: even if paired with my handsfree, and you pickup the call with it, voice is not going throught the handsfree.
- Music: it goes thorugh the handsfree, but suffering heavy audio shutering.
b) Skype not signing in.
c) Facebook don't sync contacts.

Brgds

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
Hi,
I've updated to FRX5 yesterday, and so far much better/faster than FRX4.
Camera and camcorder works fine.
Battery life for me is similar to FRX04.

The old issues still unsolved (at lest for me) are:
a) Bluetooth not working (for me the most important to use it on daily basis):
- Calls: even if paired with my handsfree, and you pickup the call with it, voice is not going throught the handsfree.
- Music: it goes thorugh the handsfree, but suffering heavy audio shutering.
b) Skype not signing in.
c) Facebook don't sync contacts.

Brgds

a)BT as always... still no devs onto it AFAIK
b) That's Skype's problem, not XDAndroid. There are other original Android devices that can't login too.
c) Not sure where the problem is, but same as a). Could be google's problem too.

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
I updated my blackstone to the FRX05 last night. First, I only replace the system.ext2 file within the existing andboot folder and after booting it up, it was so slow (both booting slowly, and once booted, everything run so slowly).

Then I followed advice from Eodun to backup and deleted the andboot folder, and put back a new andboot folder from the FRX04 plus the new system.ext2 file from the FRX05, and put back the data.img and the calibration file.

Then boot it up, it runs normally now. Everything seems to be back normal, it runs smoothly and may be a bit faster than FRX04, but not really significant faster.
I was glad it runs normally again and could pick up the old data.img, so I did not need to reconfigure everything.

Camera does not work for me. Eodun, it seems you just mentioned few more steps to get it working? Can you give more details on those steps?

I also notice the startup file did not have the rel_path=andboot anymore.
But it seems no problem at all, mine runs fine without it.

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
hmm.. i downloaded the kernel but have not figure out how to expand the tar file and get the kernel file out of it (I don't have linux). Perhaps I should wait until they release a full bundle of FRX05.

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
I use 7zip file manager for windows, it can extract tar files and it's free.

BTW, remember to:

1.- rename zImageblahblah to zImage
2.- Don't extract modules
3.- Put both files in andboot folder (overwrite zImage)
4.- You can safely delete old modules (be careful with which ones you delete! ;) )

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
Clean install on formatted SD

Since this turned out to be a rather lengthy post, there's a conclusion at the bottom of it. And if all your interested in is camera performance that's where to go... ;)

FRX04 bundle with FRX05 system.ext2 and 20110228 kernel on a freshly formatted SD.
(and with old startup.txt: OC, waiting for SD fix, initrd_offset, sleepmode 3)

First boot:
Get's to home screen. Started removing widgets, and at the last one (search bar) the phone froze.
Waited for a few minutes, then pulled battery.

Second boot:
Boots fine until lock screen. When unlocking phone it had removed all home screen widgets.
Went to APN settings to remove the defaults loaded from SIM which are wrong, but phone froze as soon as i touched the menu button inside APN properties.

Third boot:
This time without SIM since the problem with the second boot so closely resembled the freeze of the froyo x red first boots issue.
Boots into lock screen. Straight to APN settings. No freeze ;)
On to Wifi settings. Setup and connected in no time at all!
Setup Gmail account. Synchronized without problems.
Went through most other settings without any problems. Happy to see the time-zone issue is now fixed :)
Read some email. Wifi is working great, just like before. Wanted to play some music but realized there were no mp3's on the sd... :rolleyes:
Oh well, time to put in the SIM. Phone shut down 'as designed'.

Fourth boot:
With SIM, also put some apps to install in designated folder (including ZEAM) and some mp3's in a separate folder.
Boots into lock screen. Unlocked and set ZEAM as default launcher. Loads fine. Very responsive and fluid. (i turn all animation OFF)
Played some music: stutters unbearably...
Disabled Wifi, opened an email to connect 3G. Message opens, but (probably) prefetched because there's no 3G icon in the notification bar.
...Freeze... :mad:
Maybe i hadn't switched on 3G in WinMo before this boot, don't remember or know if it's still needed. Turned it on just in case before the

Fifth boot:
Just to see if audio is ok without Wifi. (i had this with some other kernel, don't remember which one, really should start keeping those logs)
While watching the androids fly through the boot animation it hit me: i never put the dot next to the APN after inserting the SIM again... :eek:
Freezes after i pull down notifications...
No waiting this time.
No changes, just a

Sixth boot:
Starting to lose confidence in this endeavour... :cool:
Boots fine, unlocks fine. Into settings, and freeze...

Lucky number 7 or tie-breaker?
Removed the OC from startup.txt, even though it's 'only' at 600Mhz and never gave me problems with other builds.
Boots fine, unlocks fine. Into settings to find the default APNs are back alongside the one i put there myself and the dot next to the wrong one.
Put the dot where it should be, deleted first excess APN, deleted second excess APN and freeze...

One more time...
YES! The 3G icon is there.
BUT! Still stuttering the audio.
Check out the camera though before swapping kernels: it loads.
After taking one picture i get an all black viewfinder. Phone's not frozen because it vibrates when pushing the virtual buttons. Back button does nothing, but it let's me turn off the screen and back on again to find the lock screen. Camera not running anymore according to task killer. Try again...
Now it let's me take pictures. AND record video, with sound. The first picture i tried to take is not in the Gallery.

Conclusion:
Although it took me 8 boots to finally have this FRX05 system.ext2 running, it runs very well once it does. Praise for implementation of the camera in the last kernel, pics and video with sound, hooray! :)
But because of the audio, this kernel is not for me.
I'll try once to get it running with the 1255 kernel and otherwise it's back to GBX0A for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eodun

Eodun

Sep 30, 2009
Barcelona
I always have to let settle down and load everything (just wait 2-3min) after a boot. After that, I have none of the problems you describe, though I don't play music and don't know about the stuttering (sure it's there, as it's a problem with battery meter). Oh, and I don't use 3G...

You must have something around that makes your device behave weirdly.

First thing is OC, I never felt that it made my phone run faster, but to decrease stability.

Also, if you tried many builds, one thing I'd do is to beckup, full format SD with HP format tool and restore.

Thanks for your tests

Reactions: hrk7474

hrk7474

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for reading all that :)

I just did the kernel swap to 1255 and the audio stuttering is gone, but of course so is camera functionality. I'll try to put in the libs from viruscrazy's thread to see if it works sometime tomorrow. For now i'll just fully charge the battery and see how long it lasts. I had GBX0A running for over 12 hours without charging with this same kernel.

Well, yes. That would be me :D

I haven't put back the OC, and like you said, i can't really tell the difference. I'll just leave it standard for now.
I've made backups of working FRX04 and GBX0A builds with everything on them, because i format all the time ;)

I'll keep testing and trying things. Thanks again.

Lothaen

Jun 4, 2010
plus.google.com
I had issues with the calibration using the FRX04 full bundle and adding on the FRX05 system.ext2

kept coming up wit the calibration question then as soon as i pressed the first one it went back to a screen full of text so i had no idea where to press...

trying the frx05 bundle now...

edit: same issue - will go back to frx03 and hopefully it will work on there and i won't delete it this time and copy that to frx05!

tried the GBX release too which did the same calibration issue

edit2: calibration for my blackstone:

just in case it helps in the future

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, now you just need to get the lastest kernel from autobuild and cam will work out of the box. http://glemsom.users.anapnea.net/android2/htc-msm-linux/

About rel_path, better having it, just in case haret goes mad ;)
    Clean install on formatted SD

Since this turned out to be a rather lengthy post, there's a conclusion at the bottom of it. And if all your interested in is camera performance that's where to go... ;)

FRX04 bundle with FRX05 system.ext2 and 20110228 kernel on a freshly formatted SD.
    (and with old startup.txt: OC, waiting for SD fix, initrd_offset, sleepmode 3)

First boot:
    Get's to home screen. Started removing widgets, and at the last one (search bar) the phone froze.

Second boot:
    Boots fine until lock screen. When unlocking phone it had removed all home screen widgets.
    Went to APN settings to remove the defaults loaded from SIM which are wrong, but phone froze as soon as i touched the menu button inside APN properties.

Third boot:
    This time without SIM since the problem with the second boot so closely resembled the freeze of the froyo x red first boots issue.
    Boots into lock screen. Straight to APN settings. No freeze ;)
    On to Wifi settings. Setup and connected in no time at all!
    Setup Gmail account. Synchronized without problems.
    Went through most other settings without any problems. Happy to see the time-zone issue is now fixed :)
    Read some email. Wifi is working great, just like before. Wanted to play some music but realized there were no mp3's on the sd... :rolleyes:
    Oh well, time to put in the SIM. Phone shut down 'as designed'.

Fourth boot:
    With SIM, also put some apps to install in designated folder (including ZEAM) and some mp3's in a separate folder.
    Boots into lock screen. Unlocked and set ZEAM as default launcher. Loads fine. Very responsive and fluid. (i turn all animation OFF)
    Played some music: stutters unbearably...
    Disabled Wifi, opened an email to connect 3G. Message opens, but (probably) prefetched because there's no 3G icon in the notification bar.
    ...Freeze... :mad:
    Maybe i hadn't switched on 3G in WinMo before this boot, don't remember or know if it's still needed. Turned it on just in case before the

Fifth boot:
    Just to see if audio is ok without Wifi. (i had this with some other kernel, don't remember which one, really should start keeping those logs)
    While watching the androids fly through the boot animation it hit me: i never put the dot next to the APN after inserting the SIM again... :eek:
    Freezes after i pull down notifications...
    No waiting this time.
    No changes, just a

Sixth boot:
    Starting to lose confidence in this endeavour... :cool:
    Boots fine, unlocks fine. Into settings, and freeze...

Lucky number 7 or tie-breaker?
    Removed the OC from startup.txt, even though it's 'only' at 600Mhz and never gave me problems with other builds.
    Boots fine, unlocks fine. Into settings to find the default APNs are back alongside the one i put there myself and the dot next to the wrong one.
    Put the dot where it should be, deleted first excess APN, deleted second excess APN and freeze...

One more time...
    YES! The 3G icon is there.
    BUT! Still stuttering the audio.
    Check out the camera though before swapping kernels: it loads.
    After taking one picture i get an all black viewfinder. Phone's not frozen because it vibrates when pushing the virtual buttons. Back button does nothing, but it let's me turn off the screen and back on again to find the lock screen. Camera not running anymore according to task killer. Try again...
    Now it let's me take pictures. AND record video, with sound. The first picture i tried to take is not in the Gallery.

Conclusion:
    Although it took me 8 boots to finally have this FRX05 system.ext2 running, it runs very well once it does. Praise for implementation of the camera in the last kernel, pics and video with sound, hooray! :)
    But because of the audio, this kernel is not for me.
    I'll try once to get it running with the 1255 kernel and otherwise it's back to GBX0A for me.
    I always have to let settle down and load everything (just wait 2-3min) after a boot. After that, I have none of the problems you describe, though I don't play music and don't know about the stuttering (sure it's there, as it's a problem with battery meter). Oh, and I don't use 3G...

First thing is OC, I never felt that it made my phone run faster, but to decrease stability.

Also, if you tried many builds, one thing I'd do is to beckup, full format SD with HP format tool and restore.

Thanks for your tests
    aaarrghh made a full bundle with FRX05, you can find it here: http://files.xdandroid.com/FRX05_Full_Bundle_3.3.2011.zip.

For blackstone just remember to keep ts-calibration and startup.txt, also data.img if don't want to lose everything.