724 posts
Thanks Meter: 253

By fishingfon, Senior Member on 25th November 2012, 12:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd December 2012, 05:02 PM |#61  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Ok why didn't any of you nice people tell me about 'safe mode'? Huh? Huh!?

Hold power button to get power off prompt then press and hold the power off/shutdown button.. Reboots into safe mode.... Tried it just now and its snap city! It disables 3rd party apps.
Many apps will still work some not, but if you can feel the difference then you know its a 3rd party app or widget messing with your program. I have currents disabled btw.

Apparently on reboot all is restored, so its a win win test of your system. I can definitely feel less lag as it was making my normally calm self angry. So now I hunt the app or apps slowing things down.

Suck it and see.

Sent from my Nexus 7
3rd December 2012, 05:20 PM |#62  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 330

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagruder

I have an unrooted Nexus 7 running 4.2 and a lot of the time it is buttery smooth, except at a random time, usually in front of someone else, when I need to do something RIGHT NOW, and then the Nexus 7 turns into a rebellious teenager. Lagging and freezing badly.

The only thing I have not tried is a wipe. I just don't want to lose saved games and data, and I know of no way to back then up without being rooted.

Any advice on backing up saved game data so I can wipe without fear?

Because really, it's this or back to 4.1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Have you looked at My Backup?

Otherwise root that sucka! It is a piece of cake.
3rd December 2012, 06:03 PM |#63  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Yes it won't backup app data without root.

And of course you can't root without unlocking, so I just bit the bullet and did so. No lag so far.... But it's early.

3rd December 2012, 06:07 PM |#64  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 330

More
Thumbs up congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmagruder

Yes it won't backup app data without root.

And of course you can't root without unlocking, so I just bit the bullet and did so. No lag so far.... But it's early.

Glad you dove in for root! Makes life so much easier. Now get adfree from the play store, and you've covered the biggest reason why I root. I'm still running stock rooted because I don't need any more than this.
3rd December 2012, 06:19 PM |#65  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
I take it ad free removes ads from apps? Ugh. Dude, I hate ads like everyone else, but if they are the only way a developer gets revenue for their work, I will tolerate them.

I should also note, my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon has been rooted and ROM'ed so much it isn't funny. But then that's also because Verizon leaves us to die so often. I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary on the Nexus 7. Oh well....

The Following User Says Thank You to rmagruder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rmagruder Ad-Free
10th December 2012, 05:17 AM |#66  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
It's multi-user
Dear All,

My N7 lagged after 4.2 update. I disabled Currents and it was better but still lagged. I just removed multi-user and I am back to 4.1.2 smoothness. It lookes like the multi-user is the problem. Google would probably fix this in the next minor update.
10th December 2012, 09:51 AM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcng

Dear All,

My N7 lagged after 4.2 update. I disabled Currents and it was better but still lagged. I just removed multi-user and I am back to 4.1.2 smoothness. It lookes like the multi-user is the problem. Google would probably fix this in the next minor update.

Did you disable the service or do you mean you had multiple users so you removed them?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
10th December 2012, 11:57 AM |#68  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
no more multi-user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyballbags

Did you disable the service or do you mean you had multiple users so you removed them?

Bobby,

I removed my guest user and now I'm back to just one user. Now, everything is butter smooth just like 4.1.2. Therefore, one should only have one user and disable Google Currents' sync function.
10th December 2012, 12:39 PM |#69  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcng

Bobby,

I removed my guest user and now I'm back to just one user. Now, everything is butter smooth just like 4.1.2. Therefore, one should only have one user and disable Google Currents' sync function.

OK cool. Haven't ever had a second user. Was hoping there was a way to shut down the multi user service which would restore it to majesty.

10th December 2012, 01:29 PM |#70  
too many reading or writing tasks in the background ?
Hello. I haven't read the whole thread yet, but for SOME people still experiencing lag, this page may be interesting :
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/t...xus-7-review/6

If you have many reading/writing tasks in the background, this could explain things (µtorrent etc)
The Following User Says Thank You to oleg77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oleg77 Ad-Free
30th December 2012, 10:30 PM |#71  
Flag Leuven
Thanks Meter: 218

More
This fix is actually pretty well found! Good job, bro!
No more lag for me!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)