FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
3rd June 2018, 12:57 PM |#11001  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Restorable after trying LineageOS, PostmarketOS, Halium, Plasma Mobile?
Hi XDA.

Looking for my first Android device in about 10 years. Trying to kick the Apple habit. I'm looking for something I can load up with Lineage, Postmarket, Halium, and eventually KDE Plasma Mobile. BUT I'd really like to know if i can roll back to stock (or Lineage) if Plasma Mobile is too buggy or unfinished or whatever to please my nerdy self.

I've narrowed down the search (from hundreds!) to:
  • Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet
  • 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Both of these have decent screens and specs and sell (used) for about $175. Any advice, particularly about the rollback-ability question?

Thanks!

3rd June 2018, 10:45 PM |#11002  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsyv

I'm looking for a phone with a snapdragon 845 (SD835 is passable, but this late in the season I reckon I'll get more "future proof" out of the 845--my current phone is about 4 years old and I hope to get 4 more years out of my next one, too), Google Daydream support, and an unlockable bootloader.

Right now it looks like my best option is the Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G9600, the unlocked international Snapdragon variant).
Pixel 2XL is the other major option, but the lack of expandable storage and headphone jack, iffy display quality, and SD835, and continued high price make it much less attractive to me.

I'll be using it on AT&T, at least for the next year or two.

Here's how I see the pros/cons of the S9:
Pro
Unlockable bootloader (will be nice to be able to upgrade it myself once Samsung stops updating it, Treble makes it pretty easy, too)
Snapdragon 845
Great display (OLED, supports Daydream)
Prices starting to drop to reasonable levels (~$650 on amazon rn, down from MSRP $720) and only continuing to drop

Con
Still a pretty expensive purchase ($600+ is nothing to sneeze at)
No USA warranty (!)
Samsung isn't the best at update speed, especially on their unlocked variants (or so I've heard)

Thoughts? Is it a good idea?

I don't think you should go with Samsung considering you want to use that phone for 4 years. Samsung is not good at updates and also horrible bloatware which will eventually slow down your phone. Go with one plus 6
4th June 2018, 08:53 AM |#11003  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hey,
I'm looking for a new phone. Features I want are built in app lock (like Samsung and Huawei) and the possibility to clone apps (like Samsung Secure Folder and Huawei App Twin). Or as an alternative have multiple users on the phone. Less important, but still a feature I want, is a good battery life and per-app VPN. Budget is not too important as long as these criterias are fulfilled.
Any experience and/or suggestions you share will be much appreciated.
Thank you.
P.S. I read that Secure Folder from Samsung is stored on their servers and they have access or can in any case gain access to my folder. If anyone have anything to add to this claim, please feel free to do so. And now I have read about a new Huawei feature called Private Space... I can't seem to find much information about Private Space. How secure is it, and features does it include?
4th June 2018, 09:59 AM |#11004  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi!

I get tired of reading on my tablet and looking for a e-reader (e-ink display), but I want something either with Android installed or something I can put Android on it somehow, I don't care if the device is a bit old or don't have wifi, etc. keeping the price low is also important
any recommendations? Thanks!
4th June 2018, 07:35 PM |#11005  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I'm looking to get a new phone. Currently using Lg V10 (verizon) and well battery life sucks and I'm done with 2-3 min charges a day. I don't need to top dog (price wise) for a phone but something that is similar to my phone. What I need is good battery life , good camera, 5.5" screen (larger is ok to ) 32 min gb of internal storage with expandable memory or 64 gb min w/out,. Not sure how I feel about continuing with LG since my phone hit the bootloop and doesn't feel the same after the repair (under warranty). Any suggestions please

If I find an unlocked phone do I need to verify it's good with the Verizon network??
5th June 2018, 03:22 PM |#11006  
Need a rootable tablet!
What are my options for a rootable 7" or 8" tablet?

Requirements:
  1. Rootable
  2. 802.11ac WiFi
  3. microSD card slot/expansion

Not required, but would like to have:
  • Cell Phone Data Capability (don't care much about which carrier, though, I would like to avoid Verizon)
  • A Nice Screen - 1080p preferred
  • Fast charging

The tablet will be a daily driver, mostly used for reading e-books, light email/web-surfing, and wifi analysis. Watching movies on it, listening to music with it, and gaming on it are NOT important at all to me.

Any suggestions?
5th June 2018, 04:11 PM |#11007  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
New phone with carrier
My loved oneplus 2 is dying(gets really bad battery and gets too hot and I want to change it) so i saw some nice promos with Tim here in Italy(there are no carrier restrictions, just bootanim and a few apps and you can usually remove it quite easily once you have custom recovery) for lg g7 at 300(10€ a month) or xperia xz2 at 450(15/month) or s9/+(exynos so bad battery and even if it was snapdragon modding would've been hard on snap galaxys) for 450/600(15/20) or p20/pro same as samsungs or mate 10 pro same as lg. I don't actually have the money to buy other phones right now and there isn't really a phone that I like very much but i really need to change that phone but I don't know what to get, I need a good screen, don't care that much about jack, I'd like ip 67/8, 64gbs expandable or 128+ not expandable, nice camera and a possibility to mod it in the future(doesn't have to be easy like my actual op) and a good enough battery life
7th June 2018, 12:19 AM |#11008  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Not much input on this thread it seems, unfortunately. Guess I'll have to ask my question again elsewhere.
7th June 2018, 12:40 AM |#11009  
Flag Fort Wellington
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwftp

Edit: Changed my mind, removable battery isn't absolutely necessary, but preferred.

Would like unlocked but use AT&T currently.

I've been disappointed by samsung in the past so I'm not sure if I want to go that route, but I have found a used note 4 in great shape on craigslist. I read that many note 4 have a problem with shutting down randomly and not restarting. Any opinions on that and any other options to consider?

I need something reliable that I can root and install TWRP , a removable battery or very good battery life as I have to use the hotspot a lot (which I need unlocked so I don't have to pay for it ideally). Doesn't have to be super powerful, maybe the minimum equivalent of a galaxy s4 or s5.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Moto G5 Plus 64 GB
8th June 2018, 08:10 AM |#11010  

More
Need help in buying phone about ₹ 10-15K INR
Hello
I need help buyinga phone
Budget-₹ 10-15K INR
I have basic need like calling, basic apps, watching on youtube
I have no plan to play games
Camera is not top priority
If it comes in 1080p screen it will be good
should i wait or buy now phone
i need a phone that can root and have good community support that can last 2-3 year for each phone
i am confused with RN5P (Redmi Note 5 Pro) and AZMPM1 (Asus Zenphone Max Pro M1)
but i like the AZMPM1 due to price but it might not have good community support
Here is my requirement pls help
Thanks
8th June 2018, 10:35 AM |#11011  

More
Hello! So I am thinking between buying S9(not plus) or Note 8 because I have an opportunity to get those phones for almost the same price(S9 for like 15-20€ more) and I cannot decide which one t o choose.

I use my phone quite a lot I like watching videos and netflix and my current phone is S7 edge which I was really happy with.

I also demand high quality audio output put that wouldnt be a problem with any of these devices.

My main consern is about its performance nad older hardware that note 8 has if it will have some noticable downsides in the future or not but I really like idea of s pen and I think I would use it.

Oh and also I wonder if note 8's camera is better or standart S9 nonplus version.

Thanks for your opinions!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)