FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271

By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Vatsal
20th October 2016, 01:57 PM |#9901  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claureid

You are right, I was just going through the reviews. Actually I have seen many complaints of defective units shipped through amazon, which is why I look for defective unit complaints in the reviews section. Fortunately it has got just two such cases through-out the 2 pages I went through, hoping I wont end up among them lol checking further.

Amazon ships fine. There are no defective units reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyFlasher

I look out fr the Xiaomi but too hard to get those Chinesee phones here in LATAM, and the Moto X Play it's just too low-tier to me

Ahh, depending on your budget, maybe you can look out for moto x pure or something.

20th October 2016, 03:43 PM |#9902  
Thanks Meter: 226

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdgofly

Thank you for your reply 350Rocket! So I've done more research and I'm really between the moto x2 and the droid turbo.

I tend to keep phones for a while (currently still using a RAZR M I got in 2013), so I like that the turbo is more future proof with the beefy specs. However I really enjoy having my devices rooted and I'm worried that whatever used turbo I buy from eBay will be updated/unlockable and I won't be able to remove all the Verizon bloatware/ enjoy all that rooting has to offer.

The moto x2 is more aesthetically pleasing to me, can be easily unlocked, and is already upgraded to marshmallow anyway. But will it be unable to tolerate the latest apps because of it's lesser specs? Is it already outdated?

Any advice is appreciated!!

The moto x feels and looks better than the g4. So far it hasn't slowed down any, but I'm running resurrection remix rom based on cm13, for the past 6+ months I think. The only complaint is the camera, and the flash stopped working after I replaced the screen (my fault I assume). And my replacement display has burn in but it's tolerable on black themes. I think for what you can get these for its a good deal unless you care about the camera a lot.
20th October 2016, 10:59 PM |#9903  
Flag Atlanta, GA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
New Rooted phone for Verizon?
I am Verizon customer with the Unlimited Data Plan. I am currently using a Droid Turbo. Are there any new phones worth discussing that are rootable? What about purchasing from the Moto Store?
21st October 2016, 02:21 AM |#9904  
Flag Mangalore
Thanks Meter: 2,378

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade01

Are there any new phones worth discussing that are rootable?

OnePlus 3
21st October 2016, 04:20 AM |#9905  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 835

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushabshah32

OnePlus 3

Not compatible with Verizon.

@slingblade01 Nexus devices or Moto X unlocked from Motorola will be rootable and compatible with Verizon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Planterz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Planterz Ad-Free
21st October 2016, 04:51 AM |#9906  
Flag Toronto/Orrawa
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Need some help deciding on a new device.

Some background:

So my device history is as followed: Acer Liquid --> Galaxy Nexus --> Galaxy Note 3 --> Galaxy Note 7.

Price: The range should be the same as my galaxy note 7 in CDN dollars but lower msrp the better!
Carrier: Wind Mobile (I believe they are GSM?)
Size Preference: Well between 5.5 to 5.7.

My usage has evolved per device, I will list the recent usage from my Note 7:
-Used the phone for calling,texting,social media, etc.
-Media consumption using a 1440p screen for YouTube, Netflix, and some native HDR content, music using lossless files with power amp and music streaming with spotify
-Heavy 3D games, emulators, and Pokemon Go, etc.
-Using hpc applications, loading compute payloads using otg, gnuroot to run workstation applications (programming, scripts, sensor data, machine vision, etc.); Use for on the go work but mostly a side/independant work
-Using drafting application on native android and linux (part of the previous point)
-Used fingerprint and iris scanner, SD card encryption, phone encryption during start up, secure folder, etc.
-Used all samsung features
-Listen to music using a 3.5mm jack at home and bt headphones on the go/gym
-Taking pictures, videos, using slow mo
-etc.

So, to summarize :

I love media consumption and media capture with the phone, I use every feature my Note 7 has and I would love to use newer features to. Battery life should be well and I love expandable storage. I use my phone for emulators, Pokemon Go, other high graphic (for a phone that is) game, spotify, data storage and transfer (for my work files and such), and I do use some "High Performance" application on the phone such as Autocad, Matlab , gnuroot Debian and other analysis software and even computing by uploading payloads via usb otg(as a hobby and sometimes to complete work on the go). I also love using root access (but if I can get most root features without rooting the phone it be great).With all that, I also use the phone like any other person such as for social media, phone calls (omg I know :P), test messaging etc.

For the future: I would use Android wear/samsung gear s3, wireless charging, etc.

I only spent 570.00 CDN on the note 7 because of wind tab upfront. I was paying $25.00 a month until my tab cleared out. Since I refunded my note 7 I only got back the 570.00.

So for my options I have this:
1). Get the S7 Edge now at full retail price with the 100 discount now. Maybe upgrade to the S8 edge or note 8 and give the s7e away.
2). Get Pixel XL and hope to get it soon from google play store.
3). Get LG V20 and hope no issues arise.
4). Or are there any devices that cost less but has really good specs for my use case that I can use till Samsung next flagship? Most of the so called mid range devices cost upwards of 600 to 700 in cdn dollars.
Looking for SD expansion, similar to better performance than exynos 8890 or SD 820, 1440p screen or atleast amoled and usb type-C?
22nd October 2016, 12:10 PM |#9907  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hello, I need some phone advice. Since I need to return my Note 7 I've been trying to figure out which other phone to get. I realized recently that all these crazy specs don't really matter to me and all I want from a phone is a good battery to last through an eventful day (e.g. when I go to a concert I'd prefer if I didn't have to re-charge it), a good camera (so that I can take some good footage at said concert lol), and either plenty of storage or expandable storage. All the other things like waterproof, wireless charging, etc are nice but they're just things that I don't end up using. I just want a device that allows me to use social media, communicate with family back home, record my experiences on my exchange abroad, and ideally last a whole day. Probably unnecessary to buy a phone with a million other fancy features.

My budget is anywhere below $500. I know there are a few cheap phones like OnePlus 3 and the Nextbit Robin but I don't think their battery lives are that good. There are also some Chinese phones that seem good like the Xiaomi Mi Note Pro but I'm not sure which ones are the best. I'm also open for getting a secondhand phone, although it kind of worries me to do so since I've never done it before. FYI I'm in South Korea so I'll have to check whether the bands for my options will work here.

Maybe I should just get a Samsung Galaxy s7 with the $100 discount, but the past 2 Samsung phones I've had have this really weird static sound whenever I film videos... But maybe it's caused by my phone case since it's the magnetic one? I don't even know D:

Any ideas?
22nd October 2016, 06:01 PM |#9908  
Thanks Meter: 127

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psilidae

I'm going to jump on with a similar question.

I'm also looking for a really cheap phone on which I can mess around with real low-level development. My goal is to mess around with custom boot-loaders and operating systems—I'd be really happy just getting "Hello World" to show up on a phone screen. So, I'm looking for easy(ish) to hack and cheap enough that I'm not going to feel bad if I brick it in one day. It'd be nice if it was a device other people use for similar hacking activities, so that I might be able to find some sort of troubleshooting support.

I don't care how new or old the hardware is, I mostly want suggestions for something that's not going to be a blackbox of proprietary, untouchable components.

The galaxy light may be what you want. Still has active development (not a ton but enough users to help out) okay specs and runs pretty well on the one good custom ROM we have. They're old enough that you could probably get one on eBay for cheap

Sent from my SGH-T399N using XDA-Developers mobile app
23rd October 2016, 09:23 AM |#9909  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatsal

I would prefer Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 or Mi Max (If you can deal with the large screen 6.44" lol)

Thanks Vatsal, so I finally settled with the Mi Max. I must say this thing is frigging awesome. The camera shoots a little grainy though, but its far outweighed by the overall goodness of this device. This has to be the best device under this budget !
Vatsal
23rd October 2016, 09:33 AM |#9910  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claureid

Thanks Vatsal, so I finally settled with the Mi Max. I must say this thing is frigging awesome. The camera shoots a little grainy though, but its far outweighed by the overall goodness of this device. This has to be the best device under this budget !

Haha it's a pretty nice device.
I have it around as well. And I really like it
Anyways glad you liked it
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
23rd October 2016, 09:49 AM |#9911  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatsal

Haha it's a pretty nice device.
I have it around as well. And I really like it
Anyways glad you liked it

Oh great you're using it as well !! (...slightly off-topic : you must have found a way to fix the grainy in-door video issue ?)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)