[Q] APN settings help (EDIT 5000: Solved!)

Search This thread

dandragonrage

Jul 15, 2007
www.antialiased.net
Hi all,

I need help getting my APN to save. I use Cricket Wireless and their APN settings are here: http://buzzmobile.us/cricket-apn-settings/

The problem is the MNC is 004 for Cricket, but changing the MNC to that makes the APN not save. I tried adding the APN line by line to see which setting made the APN disappear, and it's MNC. I've had this problem now on Mahdi 5/28, Mahdi 6/15, and now Paranoid Android RC2. My phone is the D801.

It does seem to sometimes work if I change the MNC. The APN will disappear from the list every time, but sometimes it will set the APN correctly and give me LTE, but only until I reboot the phone and then it's back to not working. This morning it doesn't appear to be working even if I re-enter the APN, though.

Why does this problem exist on multiple ROMs (saving APN settings seems like REALLY basic functionality to me) and how do I fix it? And why do I see several search results saying "don't change MCC or MNC" when clearly that is incorrect advice? If Cricket says MNC is 004 and some random forum people say Cricket is wrong, well... sorry, but Cricket would know better than you guys (those who say to not change it).

Thanks

EDIT: I //THOUGHT I// FOUND A SOLUTION! Instead of APN type "internet" I decided to try "internet,default" and immediately LTE came on. I don't understand why it worked without setting MNC when I changed this, but hey, it worked and I am happy at the moment. However, it would still be nice to see devs fix the MNC problem. I'd delete this thread but I see no option to do so. Mods can delete it if they feel like it. Or they can leave it up in case someone else has the same problem and wants to try the potential workaround of adding the ",default" to APN type. I'd still like to change the MNC to what Cricket says to use, though, because they wouldn't tell us to change it if it didn't do anything.

EDIT 2: Workaround doesn't seem to work. I get a proxy failed error. It says LTE but nothing seems to be able to use it. I think I need the MNC changed after all. Is there any developer who has this working right? It's really frustrating to go through multiple ROMs/versions only for incredibly basic functionality to not work.

Edit 3: USB tethering seems to work, but nothing on the phone itself. Weird! AAAND now I took the ",default" back out and LTE seems to be there again. Testing the phone now. I wonder if there was some sort of data outage in my area earlier that was causing issues. And I just rebooted the phone and now LTE is gone again (and I made sure the APN was selected)... This is seriously messed up. My phone is behaving extremely inconsistently and I want to throw it at a wall at full strength at the moment.

Last edited:

yeswap

Sep 15, 2009
San Francisco
LG G8
Hi all,

I need help getting my APN to save. I use Cricket Wireless and their APN settings are here: http://buzzmobile.us/cricket-apn-settings/

The problem is the MNC is 004 for Cricket, but changing the MNC to that makes the APN not save. I tried adding the APN line by line to see which setting made the APN disappear, and it's MNC. I've had this problem now on Mahdi 5/28, Mahdi 6/15, and now Paranoid Android RC2. My phone is the D801.

It does seem to sometimes work if I change the MNC. The APN will disappear from the list every time, but sometimes it will set the APN correctly and give me LTE, but only until I reboot the phone and then it's back to not working. This morning it doesn't appear to be working even if I re-enter the APN, though.

Why does this problem exist on multiple ROMs (saving APN settings seems like REALLY basic functionality to me) and how do I fix it? And why do I see several search results saying "don't change MCC or MNC" when clearly that is incorrect advice? If Cricket says MNC is 004 and some random forum people say Cricket is wrong, well... sorry, but Cricket would know better than you guys (those who say to not change it).

Thanks

EDIT: I //THOUGHT I// FOUND A SOLUTION! Instead of APN type "internet" I decided to try "internet,default" and immediately LTE came on. I don't understand why it worked without setting MNC when I changed this, but hey, it worked and I am happy at the moment. However, it would still be nice to see devs fix the MNC problem. I'd delete this thread but I see no option to do so. Mods can delete it if they feel like it. Or they can leave it up in case someone else has the same problem and wants to try the potential workaround of adding the ",default" to APN type. I'd still like to change the MNC to what Cricket says to use, though, because they wouldn't tell us to change it if it didn't do anything.

EDIT 2: Workaround doesn't seem to work. I get a proxy failed error. It says LTE but nothing seems to be able to use it. I think I need the MNC changed after all. Is there any developer who has this working right? It's really frustrating to go through multiple ROMs/versions only for incredibly basic functionality to not work.

Edit 3: USB tethering seems to work, but nothing on the phone itself. Weird! AAAND now I took the ",default" back out and LTE seems to be there again. Testing the phone now. I wonder if there was some sort of data outage in my area earlier that was causing issues. And I just rebooted the phone and now LTE is gone again (and I made sure the APN was selected)... This is seriously messed up. My phone is behaving extremely inconsistently and I want to throw it at a wall at full strength at the moment.
Android reads the MNC from the SIM. APNs with MNCs that are different than the SIM's will be hidden. Unless you are using your G2 on the legacy Cricket CDMA network you should be using the settings on the Cricket website https://www.cricketwireless.com/sup...ice-byod/customer/bring-your-own-android.html

Reactions: dandragonrage

dandragonrage

Jul 15, 2007
www.antialiased.net
Android reads the MNC from the SIM. APNs with MNCs that are different than the SIM's will be hidden. Unless you are using your G2 on the legacy Cricket CDMA network you should be using the settings on the Cricket website https://www.cricketwireless.com/sup...ice-byod/customer/bring-your-own-android.html

Huh. I wonder why I didn't see that link when I was Googling for the settings. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the link.

Odd thing is it's worked on and off with the old settings, including setting the MNC to 004 (even though it did make the entry disappear). I don't understand it. I guess it doesn't matter, though, if these other settings work. Inconsistency is the most frustrating thing, because it's not obvious that your settings are wrong if they work sometimes but not others...

Edit: I can confirm the settings from that link are working... for the moment. I absolutely would not be surprised if it just randomly stops working again in the next 24h. Maybe I'll get a different phone when that happens.

I did live chat with Cricket Wireless and asked them to make sure the link you gave comes up for the search I did which was "cricket wireless apn settings android". Hopefully they will listen to my feedback so nobody else gets caught in this trap. Anyway, thanks again.

It would also be nice if Android would tell you why it's hiding an APN you just added... I wonder if devs could add an informative text about that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Thanks