Updating Bootloaders? Please read this first

Did you learn anything you didn't know by reading this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 28 71.8%
  • No

Votes: 11 28.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

ubuntujason

Jan 21, 2009
WA
korguy~ there wasn't a link in your 'install this' reply :s

mr haley~ i ran the command, it returned with : I747UCDLK3

So now I assume that is my bootloader's version, next question would be is it the older one [that will NOT allow you to install CM 10.1] or is it new enough that I CAN install CM 10.1 [actually instal CM 10.1 RC4 to be completly accurate lol]

Thanks guys! I appreciate the assistance [and not being riped in to for the newbie questions :p]
~Jason

KorGuy123

Sep 18, 2012
Barrie
korguy~ there wasn't a link in your 'install this' reply :s

mr haley~ i ran the command, it returned with : I747UCDLK3

So now I assume that is my bootloader's version, next question would be is it the older one [that will NOT allow you to install CM 10.1] or is it new enough that I CAN install CM 10.1 [actually instal CM 10.1 RC4 to be completly accurate lol]

Thanks guys! I appreciate the assistance [and not being riped in to for the newbie questions :p]
~Jason

Lol. Sorry

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.freeandroidtools.root_checker

Brain fart.

In case anyone doesn't want to use terminal emulator.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

ubuntujason

Jan 21, 2009
WA
Lol NP man, I do that sort of stuff all the time. Really bad when you send a newsletter to a group and forget to attach the actual newsletter :p

sebdiz

Apr 8, 2013
I have L710VPALI3.. Where do I go from here to update that?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mrhaley30705

Mar 12, 2011
North Georgia
Check the development section for Sprint S3's, dl the stock firmware, and flash it with Odin. Heimdall could be used, but if your not familiar with how it operates it might be a little daunting. The information in this thread should be able to used on the Sprint variant, simply substituting Sprint firmware in the place of gsm firmware. Odin should work the same. The tips for a successful flash are the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

k2lc

May 11, 2013
i747M with i747MVLDMF1

which cyanogenmod version supports i747MVLDMF1?
or can I root it back to i747MVLDLK4 (4.1.1) and install CM10.1.0 stable?
thanks.

moedin

Oct 28, 2011
Windsor
Can you point me in the direction of how to downgrade my bootloader? I am on the latest i747MVLDMF1 which is not supported by CM 10.1.2. and forced me into the nightlies, I am not too happy with the nightlies stability and battery life and wanted to get back to stable releases.
thanks

eri000

Dec 17, 2012
Tirana
which bootloader is required by Cyanogenmod 11 or cyanogenmod 10.2 ???
i have just flashed the stock rooted 4.1.1 jb from mrRobinson ..do i need another bootloader or modem or this will do ??

Last edited:

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
which bootloader is required by Cyanogenmod 11 or cyanogenmod 10.2 ???
i have just flashed the stock rooted 4.1.1 jb from mrRobinson ..do i need another bootloader or modem or this will do ??

Look at the updater script to see which bootloaders are supported. I updated to the latest 4.1.2 from Bell and 4.4.2-based ROMs I tried were fine.

Reactions: eri000

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since the new Jelly Bean bootloaders have shown up, I see a lot of people talking about updating them. There are a few things I would recommend to do when flashing them. The first is the small, but present, danger that you can hard brick your phone. And I mean the "Need jtag to make it work" hard brick. Typically the cause of these bricks is an error or interruption of communications between the device and the computer. The other is mismatched or outright improper bootloaders.

Below is a list of things to decrease the possibility of permaborking. Keep in mind that following this list will not 100% remove the danger of flashing bootloaders, but will increase the chances of a successful flash.

Flashing bootloaders is dangerous. They are one of the few things that has the possibility of hard bricking your phone. For that reason, here are some good things to do to prepare for flashing them.

Have a good, reliable data cable. Interruption of communication between your phone and pc will most likely cause a hard brick with bootloaders.

Use a usb port on the back of your computer (or #1 on a laptop). Communication, again.

Have a jig. Not much help if you hard brick, but if you soft brick its very nice to have.

I personally flash bootloaders from a good laptop with a fully charged battery. If there is a power outage, the battery in the laptop will have saved my phone.

When flashing bootloaders,or anything with Odin, don't touch your phone after you connect it in dl mode until the phone reboots. Goes back to the communication issue.

For problems/tips on connection issues, look HERE
    To determine which bootloader you have, check out this app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.freeandroidtools.root_checker

To check your bootloader version
    (thanks to KorGuy123 for the link)

For those that like to use Terminal Emulator, just type this:

HTML:
    su
    getprop ro.bootloader
    That's the latest bootloader for the I747. You should have no problems flashing cm in relation to your bootloader
    Easiest way to check is install terminal emulator.

Type

su

Grant it permission
    Now type:

getprop ro.bootloader

These commands are case sensitive, so type carefully
    If it's not the exact bootloader for your phone, don't flash it.