[ROM][For inactive devices]Ubersonic RC3 is HERE!!! (yes its ICS 4.0.4)

Search This thread

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Build

I found some spare time and I built Ev-based 4.4. I also came across recent Xperia apps, and I'm about half-way through a test build. (edit--> I found it!!)
Note that this rom will probably come OC'd depending on how this build performs, esp. with all of the Xperia stuff added in.

That is great news! I was running the Solar Flare series V on my EVO which ported a lot of Experia apps and functions to the phone with just a touch of Touchwiz like interfaces.

I am now running the JB 'test2' build on my EVO since I have a Note 3. I just use the EVO as a media player.

Here is one problem though.. I can not get the FM radio to work. It loads, but FC's when I try and open it. Is this a kernel problem or is it because the 'cell' radio function is shut down in this build.?

I am delighted to see life in this thread!!!

Dave

mooselander

Feb 25, 2010
Can anyone mirror RC3?

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can post/mirror a copy of Ubersonic RC3? I've searched through this post and unfortunately all of the links are now dead...
Found some working links for various JB tests and RC1/RC2 but I'd really like to give RC3 a shot -- google, filesearchers and etc also come up cold...

Any help appreciated!

nathantaylor

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can post/mirror a copy of Ubersonic RC3? I've searched through this post and unfortunately all of the links are now dead...
Found some working links for various JB tests and RC1/RC2 but I'd really like to give RC3 a shot -- google, filesearchers and etc also come up cold...

Any help appreciated!

No offense, but you must not have looked too hard. It was a single page back from your post, on page 30 :)

jayd4wg

Apr 14, 2008
about to jump into this ROM, it's going to be a media device for my son on an Evo 4g. Has anyone gotten the FM radio to work? This would be a very worthwile add if it's not active - this will be my first rom flash ever and i'm beyond nervous to pull the trigger. currently i'm rooted, s-on, hboot 2.18, running 2.3.5
my biggest headache so far was having to manually install the google play store apk and getting the google apps to update.

Just installed Ubersonic rc2 (rc3 didn't install from the link on the OP) on my now venerable Evo 4G. With a new removable battery the Evo 4G works as well as it ever did and in this case, it works like a champ to use as a media player for my kids. Thanks for all the hard work and for keeping it available because, well, you never know what you'll need.

Landspeeder

Dec 31, 2016
Chicago
But does it work with Pandora (2020.03)

@Charcaroth and @Unidave199 - would you folks kindly see if the Pandora music app works on this version? The Rom I've been using for the last decade or so finally fell out of compatibility with that app. I use this device 100% for streaming Pandora. Thanks folks!

Current info:
model pc36100
android 2.3.7
cyanogenmod

Last edited:
Pandora works fine, some other issues but not related to this ROM

@Charcaroth and @Unidave199 - would you folks kindly see if the Pandora music app works on this version? The Rom I've been using for the last decade or so finally fell out of compatibility with that app. I use this device 100% for streaming Pandora. Thanks folks!

Current info:
model pc36100
android 2.3.7
cyanogenmod

Landspeeder,

Pandora works just fine if you want to set it and forget it. It took roughly 45 seconds to populate stations from the paid version of Pandora (Pandora One), which is pretty slow but if you are interested in setting a station, connecting it to a speaker or stereo input using a 3.5" jack or bluetooth, and playing for several hours, it would work as well as anything out there. That's pretty much what I was hoping to do with the device when I flashed this ICS rom anyhow. My (working) version of the Pandora App (as of March 2020) is 6.3.1. If anyone is interested in what apps still work on this ICS rom in 2020, I'm also using Google Play services (ver 14.7.99), the official TWRP app (ver 1.21), Opera Mini (ver 20.0.2254.110284), DiskUsage (ver 3.8.3), Root Uninstaller (ver 1.0.4), and Superuser (ver 3.0.7 with SU binary ver 3.0.3.2, now depricated but working). I had previously been using Groove IP (ver 4.0.1) along with DW dialer which routed calls through my Google Voice number on a dummy Google account for calling purposes but I just discovered that Groove IP no longer connects to Google Voice and thus doesn't make phone calls any longer so I just uninstalled Groove IP. The Pandora widget as well as the widget for the Walkman mp3 player (pretty sure this is included in the ROM but don't recall now) both work as well.

The Evo4G seems to power down if it gets overworked these days. For example, when I left Pandora playing and was trying to change the settings of Groove IP to disconnect it with Google Voice and see if it would make a call without routing it through GV, the phone rebooted and would not restart until it sat with the battery removed for 15+ minutes. In the meantime, with the battery in, it will flash the LED green every 3 seconds until the battery discharges. If I try to reboot before the 15 minute waiting period, it boots with the white HTC Evo 4G screen for about five seconds then powers down, flashes the LED green and vibrates four quick times. It's been doing that for a while now, even when I was using a previous Gingerbread ROM so I would think the issue is hardware related. I have two batteries, the original one and a venerable Anker LiON battery from 2014 and the results are the same with either battery. To that end, it's possible that a new one fix the issue if it's a heat problem related to old battery cells but I'm not sure sinking more money into this limited function is worth it. If I open two apps with less space free on the phone, it reboots and just loads a black screen after the white HTC Evo4G screen. If I restart after it's been on for a while it does the same thing which makes me think even more that it's a heat/battery problem. Since I'm really only using it to stream Pandora or play mp3s from the 32 gb microSD card, and only very occasionally, I have not done any more troubleshooting than that.

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
Not for nuthin' but I decided to see what I can do with this perfect little player and was able to get KitKat 4.4.4. on this using the Team Nocturnal ROM. I also was able to get App2SD to work so my SK card gives it 3 gig memory now which will allow me to use this as a streamer, player, and use google voice so can even use it as a 'home phone'. I have had weird events as well with reboots if the battery gets down to 87% or so, but seems to all be battery related issues. Recently i decided to put in an extended battery and got 5 hours of video playback time on it!

Landspeeder

Dec 31, 2016
Chicago
Not for nuthin' but I decided to see what I can do with this perfect little player and was able to get KitKat 4.4.4. on this using the Team Nocturnal ROM. I also was able to get App2SD to work so my SK card gives it 3 gig memory now which will allow me to use this as a streamer, player, and use google voice so can even use it as a 'home phone'. I have had weird events as well with reboots if the battery gets down to 87% or so, but seems to all be battery related issues. Recently i decided to put in an extended battery and got 5 hours of video playback time on it!

Obliged - as of now this 4.0.4 ROM is working wonderfully --- its only job is to stream Pandora (paid) off of my home network from a powered dock.

For just streaming Pandora paid from the home wifi would you recommend jumping from 4.0.4 to 4.4.4?

Obliged - as of now this 4.0.4 ROM is working wonderfully --- its only job is to stream Pandora (paid) off of my home network from a powered dock.

For just streaming Pandora paid from the home wifi would you recommend jumping from 4.0.4 to 4.4.4?

I ran the Evervolv KitKat 4.4 ROM for a while when it came out and it was unbearably slow with only 512mb RAM on the EVO 4G. I don't recall any apps that didn't take minutes to open and even then, they often crashed. Gingerbread worked great (there were/are many great GB ROMs on XDA), and there were no Honeycomb ROMs (though I had Android 3.0 on my late lamented GoogleTV), but I think ICS (4.0) is probably the latest Android that runs with any efficiency on the Evo 4G. Unless a new developer gets interested in doing a throwback ICS, JB, or KK ROM, I think you'll be better off running Ubersonic for the remainder of the life of the Evo 4G, though I wish it were otherwise.

Landspeeder

Dec 31, 2016
Chicago
Unless a new developer gets interested in doing a throwback ICS, JB, or KK ROM, I think you'll be better off running Ubersonic for the remainder of the life of the Evo 4G, though I wish it were otherwise.

Thanks, so long as Pandora paid continues to stream, and is relatively responsive, I'll gladly continue using this through the next decade (.... so long as pandora continues to be our music provider of course).

My fallback option was a $100 Android 9.0 tablet... but the Evo 4G fills this need so nicely as is.
Thanks for keeping up with these old devices forums folks :)

Unidave199

Nov 18, 2013
I ran the Evervolv KitKat 4.4 ROM for a while when it came out and it was unbearably slow with only 512mb RAM on the EVO 4G.

I hear ya, it was not really a treat to run on ICS either but was at least manageable. The secret is being able to load A2SD which is a bit of a hassle but as I learn more about Linux and partitioning, I was able to do it. In effect it turns a few Gig of your SD card into RAM and then allows you to have a reasonably functional phone. KitKat was Google's first foray into the 'modern' settings so you can use more of their features. I use my EVO as a 'take to the gym' phone since it slips into its holster on my arm so perfectly.. Not to big and not to small. I can also dump a much of shows from my TiVo onto the phone and on trips or flights watch my shows and the removable battery means I can just swap at my leisure and not depend on a charge bank.. so can play back my music, make phone calls over the wifi if needed and utilize some of the workout apps and fitness apps that are no longer compatible below 4.4.

Im not throwing shade at the RC3! I loved RC3 and think it is a GREAT use for the phone, I guess I just figured why not try and push this GREAT phone and see what it can really do.

Dave

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    marioBGxda3_zps46bcf90a.png

So i know theres a lot of you guys out there that have tossed yall's evos into a drawer since moving onto other devices like the LTEvo and such.. myself included.. i jumped ship and got myself a One S and soon to be Galaxy Nexus!
    But i figured why just let it be forgotten about? Right?
    So with that in mind I bring to you guys a rom that fits right into said category and practically converts your evo into a media device :)

Screenshot_1_zpsa4434c52.png
    Screenshot_12_zps8e958218.png

Screenshot_11_zpsff5ef68a.png
    Screenshot_10_zps604af89b.png

Screenshot_9_zps297eea7d.png
    Screenshot_8_zps11204aea.png

Screenshot_7_zpsc0a63dd3.png
    Screenshot_6_zpsce458d14.png

Screenshot_5_zpsc7c9beb5.png
    Screenshot_4_zpsa63dc6bf.png

Screenshot_3_zps09a52ab6.png
    Screenshot_2_zpsd53edaeb.png

about.png

My mission is simple... turn our devices, from what used to be a phone, into a full-fledged android media player!
    Its still a WIP and ive got a few more things to add/remove but all in all its been running for a week or so now now with no problems at all :D

features.png

This has been rebased off JMZTaylor's final CM9 build :)
    Awesome BEATS v4 for sound enhancement (thanks ...Awesome... for giving me the green light on this :D)
    Walkman from Xperia T (its much prettier! Rizal Lovins is the man of the hour for getting this gem ported over :D)
    Google Now :D :D :D (searches work now when typing and having walkman in the list of searchable items!)
    Xperia goodies! Launcher with Walkman widget, Notes with respective widget, Clocks, and Weather widget!
    Mapped themes button in settings to open Xperia Launcher settings (man that was a pain in the membrane)

A themed SystemUI i did myself :D including new pull down backgrounds, center clock, battery icons and when you switch to percent it shows a percent sign and will turn green when charging ;)

Easter egg: after installing the rom, go delete your cache and dalvik cache through recovery and reboot for some lulz!

Battery is continuously getting better since I've removed the RIL libs and a bin file to prevent the phone from knowing what to do with the radios
    Mason 15 kernel baked in :D (the default governor is ok but OCing to 1152mhz and setting gov to Wheatley gives great performance)

Heavy debloated system
    Removed as many traces as i could find of access to phone such as:
    Signal bars (wifi and bluetooth still show)
    No service is finally gone and so are the Emergency call things on secure lock screens
    Dialer, contacts, messaging, calendar, email, and many others
    Baseband setting and device info, cmstats, and system update (it would FC so i killed it :good:)
    if you find anything let me know in a PM or in this thread

todo.png

Remove language packs to lighten up the rom size
    Remove unnecessary toggles and more useless/conflicting entries from settings and things like airplane mode from power menu
    Theme, theme, theme
    Fix anything else that may arise over time or that other people may notice
    Follow up with any personal requests from users if time permits

downloads.png

Ubersonic RC3

Enjoy :D

Older Versions
    Ubersonic RC2
    Ubersonic RC1

Teasers and Extras
    JB teaser builds in this post!
    (details in the post!)
    Music themed Splash
    (included is the PC36IMG and fastboot instructions}

installation.png

You should be either s-off or Htc-dev UNLOCKED s-on to with custom recovery to install (i use amon-ra 2.3)

if s-off use these steps to install...
    1) download zip
    2) throw onto root of sdcard and take the PC36IMG.zip off if you have one
    3) boot into recovery by turning off and and holding vol-down + power buttons and once in bootloader, vol-down to RECOVERY and choose it
    3) wipe data, dalvik, system, and boot
    4) flash zip from sd
    5) reboot and allow rom about 30 minutes or so to settle in :D

if UNLOCKED s-on use these steps to install... (this is the WINDOZE way!)

1) download zip and take out the boot.img file and put it into the folder with fastboot.exe
    2) throw onto root of sdcard and take the PC36IMG.zip off if you have one
    3) boot into recovery by turning off and and holding vol-down + power buttons and once in bootloader choose FASTBOOT
    4) once FASTBOOT USB appears type (hitting enter after typing each line)

Code:
    fastboot devices
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    5) then choose HBOOT and vol-down to RECOVERY and choose it
    3) wipe data, dalvik, system only NOT boot!
    4) flash zip from sd
    5) reboot and allow rom about 30 minutes or so to settle in :D
    hai everyone! im still alive :p sorry its been so quiet from me, im actually working on a build now as i type this :p

one main drawback was that i rebased the rom so i kinda had to port everything i had previously and start over *facepalm*
    the new base is deck's ics...

i should have rc2 popping out soon but this includes the most recent walkman from xperia T that looks way prettier and more features work :D

now lets see if this prick boots :p
    you guys can mirror this all you want :) i dont know why mediafire and dropbox are being douchey but theyre very persistent about it... anywho, im gonna be checking out that viper4 audio mod soon! i just got an fii0 e7 headphone amp and it turned a pair of $20 sennheiser headphones that came with a guitar processor into just as awesome sounding as my friends $300 studio beats and made my bose ie2's just damn incredible through my rockboxed ipod classic haha so i'll be able to test the sound all crazy thoroughly :p

and I Like Soup, thank you very very much for the donation, i honestly never thought at all that i would get a donation as this is kind of a spare time hobby, but all the positive feedback and ideas from the community and such really makes me feel like im actually doing something productive :D plus you bought me a pack of smokes haha you totally rock my friend!

and an update on whats been going on in uberville, work is finally gonna chill out a bit so ill have more time to do this and i will be ordering an actual pc within a month or so which will prevent me from having to work on this laptop that holds no charge and has a usb fan that my friend rigged onto it cuz the fan on the motherboard failed and it would quickly overheat and emergency shutdown hahaha!
    I got RC2 up in the OP

HERE as well if yall jump to the end :p

A few changes :p all mentioned in the OP

Good:
    New base which is Decks PreBeta 25 :)
    Lastest Walkman :D
    Xperia Launcher with Walkman Widget (finally)
    Mason 15 kernel!
    Removed the RIL libs and it seems to have effectively killed the radio! (I had the device in my pocket at work for about 5 hours not doing anything and the battery was at 99% still bahahahaha)

Not-So Good:
    Finally debunked the removal of most unnecessary settings but theres more i need to remove :p
    Bluetooth audio randomly stutters (this could have been prevalent before but i didnt get my BT speaker til after nit-picking rc2)
    But through headphones / aux everything is fine :confused: and as for dock.. i have no idea :p

Lemme know your thoughts guys!
    Nice dude :D

By Rizal Lovins Sundanesse@Lovins"Love Indonesia"