[Q] Replacing the stock calendar app with default android calendar

Search This thread

nachodeh

Nov 16, 2010
Sony Ericsson includes a custom calendar application with its' Android phones and it is extremely limited, ugly, and slow.
I found the default Calendar.apk for Android and ran it on my phone, but all I got was "Installation not successful"

How can I run an apk as root from the phone?

Cheers

Reactions: tcprado

nachodeh

Nov 16, 2010
I finally figured out how to do this...

You will need a rooted device, adb installed on your computer, and the stock calendar application, attached here.

On your phone uninstall Calendar and CalendarProvider. Using Titanium Backup or some other app makes it easier.

Then go to phone Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications and delete:
  • com.android.calendar
  • com.android.calendarprovider

Connect the phone to you computer in debug mode and launch a terminal.
  • adb install /pathToFile/CalendarProvider.apk
  • adb install /pathToFile/Calendar.apk

You're done

Attachments

• calendar.zip
    358.6 KB · Views: 2,524
Last edited:
Reactions: sur1k and moedjs

spence91

May 26, 2010
Has anyone else tried this?
Very keen to get rid of the stock calendar application, it's really bad.

bootchee

Jan 7, 2009
If I replace this calendar app with the stock app from SE, will I retain my calendar entries? I should expect so since it is based on Google Calendar right? Just asking to make sure, thanks in advance.

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

nachodeh

Nov 16, 2010
Google stores the data so don't worry about it.
But remember you are replacing the Sony Ericsson app with the Android stock app.
Cheers

this must be for 1.6.....

i have 3 default calendar apps here in my 2.1....
calendar, calendar bridge, and calendar storage....

and can only find calendarprovider.apk in the system/app folder...

should i delete all 3? and replace them with the attached calendar and calendarprovider?

Last edited:

nachodeh

Nov 16, 2010
this must be for 1.6.....

i have 3 default calendar apps here in my 2.1....
calendar, calendar bridge, and calendar storage....

and can only find calendarprovider.apk in the system/app folder...

should i delete all 3? and replace them with the attached calendar and calendarprovider?

This is for 2.1

I think it's safe to delete those apps since I don't have them and the phone works. Then install the attached files.

cheers

benjymous

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2010
blog.grapefruitopia.com
I tried this yesterday - I just got an "Incorrect version" error when I tried to install the stock apps. I tried manually copying them to /system/app/ but the phone didn't pick them up (no icon in the launcher)

j2sun

Jul 5, 2007
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE] on my mini (not pro). Now my calendar is broken :(

benjymous

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 29, 2010
blog.grapefruitopia.com
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_UPDATE_INCOMPATIBLE] on my mini (not pro). Now my calendar is broken :(

Yup. That's exactly what happened with me, too. I copied back the SE calendar apps to /system/app and chmod'd them to 644 and rebooted, and got the SE calendar back. If you didn't back those up first, there's a copy of all the system apps on the forum somewhere.

(I deleted everything with "calendar" in the name from the /system/app folder, along with the corresponding data from /data/data/, rebooted, and tried installing the supplied apks, from adb, via a file manager, and by directly copying to /system/app/ and none worked.

nachodeh

Nov 16, 2010
That's weird. It works perfectly on my phone with Android 2.1

100_0046.JPG

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, i'll try to explain how i did it:
    1. Put the Calendar.apk and the CalendarProvider.apk in the sd
    2. Open root explorer, go into r/w mode and get into /system/app. Here there are 3 apks that yoy are interested in: SemcCalendar, SemcCalendarVanilla (or somthing like that) and CalendarProvider.
    3. Use multiselect to move or copy them to /data/app (move always said to be better).
    4. Whatever you did, you will see that the 3 apks are still in system/app. DELETE THEM.
    5. Restart your phone.
    6. Get into some applications manager (not titanium) and uninstall Calendar and Calendar Storage, which are now visible like any other downloaded app.
    7. Install the apks in your sd card with astro or whatever. you have to install BOTH apks.
    8. Enjoy your new calendar!!! :)

Sent from my E10i using XDA App
    I finally figured out how to do this...

You will need a rooted device, adb installed on your computer, and the stock calendar application, attached here.

On your phone uninstall Calendar and CalendarProvider. Using Titanium Backup or some other app makes it easier.

Then go to phone Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications and delete:
    • com.android.calendar
    • com.android.calendarprovider

Connect the phone to you computer in debug mode and launch a terminal.
    • adb install /pathToFile/CalendarProvider.apk
    • adb install /pathToFile/Calendar.apk

You're done
    Now it works

Hi!. Now Sync it's working for me!!. Here is how i did it.

When you install the 2 apps attached in this post, are installed in /data/app. I move these 2 files "calendar.apk" and "calendarprovider.apk" from /data/app to system/app with rootexplorer, Restart the phone, and that's it, now sync it's working great!!
    Sony Ericsson includes a custom calendar application with its' Android phones and it is extremely limited, ugly, and slow.
    I found the default Calendar.apk for Android and ran it on my phone, but all I got was "Installation not successful"

How can I run an apk as root from the phone?

Cheers

Yup. That's exactly what happened with me, too. I copied back the SE calendar apps to /system/app and chmod'd them to 644 and rebooted, and got the SE calendar back. If you didn't back those up first, there's a copy of all the system apps on the forum somewhere.

(I deleted everything with "calendar" in the name from the /system/app folder, along with the corresponding data from /data/data/, rebooted, and tried installing the supplied apks, from adb, via a file manager, and by directly copying to /system/app/ and none worked.

I ran into the same error. i fixed it by rebooting and then going back into the applications manager and I removed the 3 coms that now showed up in the list. Once i removed those, the apks installed without a hitch. So move the apks, uninstall them, reboot and double check to make sure there is nothing in the applications manager that you can uninstall (com.android.calendar etc.) and then install the new apks.

Best of luck!