Kitkat 4.4 APN backup

Search This thread

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
what is apn?
Definition: APN stands for Access Point Name, a setting on your mobile phone that identifies an external network your phone can access for data (e.g., 3G or 4G Internet service on your phone).

So last 2 days after getting home, I lost lte connections (using cm11 kitkat 2/20 update)...rebooted, nothing, restored, nothing...restored stock rom, instant connection. So I had to update the prl/profile and even did ##72786# refresh just in case...backed up that rom state, restored cm11 and worked. So, there has to be an easier way:

Apps needed:
titanium backup Play Store link
apn backup and restore Play Store link
any root file browser/manager MY CHOICE

Roms required:
your rooted stock nandroid backed up with above listed apps
your cm11 or other kitkat 4.4 + nandroid backed up with above listed apps

Stock rom steps:
-after installing the needed apps, open titanium backup and go to backup/restore
-locate the app apn backup and restore, long press on it and choose to install as a system app
-once a system app, open apn backup and restore and ignore the message stating your device isn't supported
-press the menu key, select to disable ICS check (error message will no longer appear)
-reboot the phone
-once rebooted, open apn backup and restore and choose backup apns, once done exit app and reboot in recovery and restore your 4.4 rom

Kitkat rom steps:
-after installing the needed apps, open titanium backup and go to backup/restore
-locate the app apn backup and restore, long press on it and choose to install as a system app
-once a system app, exit titanium and go to your root file browser
-navigate to: system>app and locate the apn backup and restore apk, long press on it and select move or cut (depending on your browser)
-press back once to return to system folder and navigate now to priv-app folder and paste the apk, exit your browser
-open apn backup and restore and ignore the message stating your device isn't supported
-press the menu key, select to disable ICS check (error message will no longer appear)
-reboot the phone
-once rebooted, open apn backup and restore and choose restore apns...it should locate the stock apn backups right away, once they're restored you must reboot your phone 1 last time for them to take effect

this may seem like a lot to do now, but once you perform all the above 1 time start to finish, this shouldn't be needed to be done for quite some time...but when the time comes and you wanna refresh your signal data it's now always handy.
when you want to refresh the apns, back up your kitkat rom to its most current state, restore your stock rom backup, update the prl/profiles and/or ##72786# refresh your phone. backup your apns when done, backup most current state of stock rom, restore kitkat and restore the new apns and reboot...done, my lte has been completely solid since doing this after 2 days of glitching (plus I flash roms a lot lol so it's good to keep handy)

Grapezombie

Feb 24, 2014
Thanks a bunch!

I've been looking forever for a guide like this! I needed to restore the apns for 4g and mms on my virgin mobile, and it worked perfectly! :D

Reactions: goku2778

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
I can't seem to get this to work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

got specifics? I've done this a few times on different roms and never fails me...skipping any steps or not rebooting as I wrote step by step for each rom while I physically performed the steps myself?

AOD_Corwin

Jul 22, 2008
San Diego
Well I load the peoples rom which fixes LTE . I install apn. I use either titanium or system file converter to change it to a system file (titanium hangs sometimes). I back up the APN. Clean install cm11. At this point I will have LTE until the first time I drive into an area that it's not available. Either way I reinstall apn back up. I Crete a folder called ApnBackup in the 0/system folder because the program does not create it itself. I copy the apn.xml files inside. Then I go to the system app folder as you suggest but the apn (long name) is not there. I check the priv-app folder and the apn app is already in place. So I lunch the app. Delete existing apn files, restore from the back up. Reboot and still no Lte

Last edited:

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Well I load the peoples rom which fixes LTE . I install apn. I use either titanium or system file converter to change it to a system file (titanium hangs sometimes). I back up the APN. Clean install cm11. At this point I will have LTE until the first time I drive into an area that it's not available. Either way I reinstall apn back up. I Crete a folder called ApnBackup in the 0/system folder because the program does not create it itself. I copy the apn.xml files inside. Then I go to the system app folder as you suggest but the apn (long name) is not there. I check the priv-app folder and the apn app is already in place. So I lunch the app. Delete existing apn files, restore from the back up. Reboot and still no Lte

check your area with sprint, they had a major network crash that lasted for days dude...make sure with them all is good 1St, was a coast to coast network disaster, found out 2 days ago myself when same exact things kept happening to my phones lte

AOD_Corwin

Jul 22, 2008
San Diego
Not likely effected I can make let Come back by down grading to a touch wiz. Either way I think tonight's nightly might be a step in the right direction as the are separating the gsm and the cdma ril files

goku2778

Aug 17, 2013
Not likely effected I can make let Come back by down grading to a touch wiz. Either way I think tonight's nightly might be a step in the right direction as the are separating the gsm and the cdma ril files

yeah their latest d2spr zips are crap and lte dead, you need the d2lte zips now...I just posted links in the last page of the nightly thread actually

I'm using the cm11 2/03 build and never get lte losses or anything, solid for me in every way so I'm staying put on that build release

jamesh0317

Mar 15, 2009
Baltimore/Washington DC
File not found error

I followed all of your steps, and even reset my PRL and profile (successfully). I rebooted, made APN backup/restore a system app, told it to skip the ICS check, rebooted, and told it to backup apns. It prompted me for a filename, and I chose the default "apns-<date-time-string>.xml".

It then failed with the following error:

Backup failed: file not found: /storage/emulated/0/ApnBackupRestore/apns-<date-time-string>.xml: open failed: ENOENT (No such file or directory).

I did a quick google search which turned up nothing, but I will look further.

Stock Rom (rooted): Baseband Version: L710VPUBMK5, build number: JSS15J.L710VPUBMK5. Android version 4.3.

Carrier is Virgin Mobile

As I said, I will keep looking for a solution, but if anyone has a quick answer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the write up.

wolficus

May 5, 2012
great guide :) finally helped me with viewing and editing the apn's on the slimkat rom i installed.
i had to do a couple different things though.. i used apn manager pro and i had to change its permissions to 777. then it would work.

djpabz23

Apr 10, 2013
New York
Titanium Backup always hangs on me while setting APN Backup and Restore as a system app. It stays on processing and nothing happens. :\

solcam

May 8, 2010
Titanium Backup always hangs on me while setting APN Backup and Restore as a system app. It stays on processing and nothing happens. :\

Try using a file explorer app to locate and move apn backup and restore from /data/app to /system/app or to whichever directory u need. But, could someone here please upload their apns that were backed up with apn backup and restore? I would like to try this to see if I can get lte. Thanks. I really hope someone replies to this soon like I did lol.

Last edited:

djpabz23

Apr 10, 2013
New York
Try using a file explorer app to locate and move apn backup and restore from /data/app to /system/app or to whichever directory u need. But, could someone here please upload their apns that were backed up with apn backup and restore? I would like to try this to see if I can get lte. Thanks. I really hope someone replies to this soon like I did lol.

I'll upload mine as soon as I do

EDIT: I had no success, I always get the following error.
zlvvwm.jpg

I included my DNS settings in the archive, just extract and restore.

Last edited:

iPenguin02

Sep 23, 2013
I'll upload mine as soon as I do

EDIT: I had no success, I always get the following error.
zlvvwm.jpg

I included my DNS settings in the archive, just extract and restore.

I am getting the same issue. Do i need to use titanium? as it says i need to donate to convert to system app.
Instead i tried rom tool box, converted to system app. when look for apk in system > App its not there, and data> App its not there either

I notice it uninstalls it. i have to reinstall it.. So what i did was i installed it. i copied the apk to my sd card. converted to system app, but when i try to paste to system > Priv.app it says failed..

i dont know what to do anymore. I am running beanstalk 4.4

Edit:
I just tried titanium and it just hangs.. 40 mins no progress.

Are we suppose to wipe any data before recovering?

Last edited:

djpabz23

Apr 10, 2013
New York
I am getting the same issue. Do i need to use titanium? as it says i need to donate to convert to system app.
Instead i tried rom tool box, converted to system app. when look for apk in system > App its not there, and data> App its not there either

I notice it uninstalls it. i have to reinstall it.. So what i did was i installed it. i copied the apk to my sd card. converted to system app, but when i try to paste to system > Priv.app it says failed..

i dont know what to do anymore. I am running beanstalk 4.4

Edit:
I just tried titanium and it just hangs.. 40 mins no progress.

Are we suppose to wipe any data before recovering?

I tried the very same, no luck whats so ever. I was running on Rooted stock 4.3 did the backup successful. I tried doing the KitKat process on C-Rom with no success. Titanium Backup hangs and restoring APN doenst work for me.

the_original_teknikl

Mar 22, 2013
I tried the very same, no luck whats so ever. I was running on Rooted stock 4.3 did the backup successful. I tried doing the KitKat process on C-Rom with no success. Titanium Backup hangs and restoring APN doenst work for me.

Works for me... Install like normal on carbon... Use link2sd to convert to system app then fx explorer to move the apk to / priv-app.... Reboot and restore apns..... Got full data and everything on carbon ROM virgin mobile.

Sent from my SPH-L710

crs77

Mar 14, 2009
Bronx, NY
I followed all of your steps, and even reset my PRL and profile (successfully). I rebooted, made APN backup/restore a system app, told it to skip the ICS check, rebooted, and told it to backup apns. It prompted me for a filename, and I chose the default "apns-<date-time-string>.xml".

It then failed with the following error:

I did a quick google search which turned up nothing, but I will look further.

Stock Rom (rooted): Baseband Version: L710VPUBMK5, build number: JSS15J.L710VPUBMK5. Android version 4.3.

Carrier is Virgin Mobile

As I said, I will keep looking for a solution, but if anyone has a quick answer, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the write up.

Same problem, though I'm on Stock rooted MK3, on Sprint.

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
If on a 4.4 rom make it easy on yourself, quit using titanium... Locate the app in data/app, cut and paste to system / priv-app, click to make sure it's installed then reboot... After reboot and disabling the check within the app it will backup your apn no problems

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    what is apn?
    Definition: APN stands for Access Point Name, a setting on your mobile phone that identifies an external network your phone can access for data (e.g., 3G or 4G Internet service on your phone).

So last 2 days after getting home, I lost lte connections (using cm11 kitkat 2/20 update)...rebooted, nothing, restored, nothing...restored stock rom, instant connection. So I had to update the prl/profile and even did ##72786# refresh just in case...backed up that rom state, restored cm11 and worked. So, there has to be an easier way:

Apps needed:
    titanium backup Play Store link
    apn backup and restore Play Store link
    any root file browser/manager MY CHOICE

Roms required:
    your rooted stock nandroid backed up with above listed apps
    your cm11 or other kitkat 4.4 + nandroid backed up with above listed apps

Stock rom steps:
    -once a system app, open apn backup and restore and ignore the message stating your device isn't supported
    -reboot the phone
    -once rebooted, open apn backup and restore and choose backup apns, once done exit app and reboot in recovery and restore your 4.4 rom

Kitkat rom steps:
    -once a system app, exit titanium and go to your root file browser
    -navigate to: system>app and locate the apn backup and restore apk, long press on it and select move or cut (depending on your browser)
    -press back once to return to system folder and navigate now to priv-app folder and paste the apk, exit your browser
    -open apn backup and restore and ignore the message stating your device isn't supported
    -reboot the phone
    -once rebooted, open apn backup and restore and choose restore apns...it should locate the stock apn backups right away, once they're restored you must reboot your phone 1 last time for them to take effect

this may seem like a lot to do now, but once you perform all the above 1 time start to finish, this shouldn't be needed to be done for quite some time...but when the time comes and you wanna refresh your signal data it's now always handy.
    when you want to refresh the apns, back up your kitkat rom to its most current state, restore your stock rom backup, update the prl/profiles and/or ##72786# refresh your phone. backup your apns when done, backup most current state of stock rom, restore kitkat and restore the new apns and reboot...done, my lte has been completely solid since doing this after 2 days of glitching (plus I flash roms a lot lol so it's good to keep handy)
    Thanks a bunch!

I've been looking forever for a guide like this! I needed to restore the apns for 4g and mms on my virgin mobile, and it worked perfectly! :D