Flash stock rom - Keep Root & CWM

Search This thread

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
Hello, I am currently rooted and have CWM 6.0.4.3. installed. I'm on CM11 but want to go back to stock.. Is there an easy way to keep root and go back to stock. Want stock for a few functions that ROMS dont seem to be offering but can keep root and CWM ??

Thanks.

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Which phone do you have? You could try flashing a pre-rooted stock ROM via Odin. Then use Odin to flash CWM.

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
Bt its better to firstly install ur stock rom and then again root it as it takes no longer than 5 mins

Ok perfect, thats what I was looking for. Phone btw is S3 - d2att - SGH i747) Sounds good to install the stock rom and re-root.. I'm sure its here but I have searched everywhere to find a tutorial on this and I cannot find a straight answer.

Would you mind giving me the steps or pointing me to a thread that explains how to and has the files in need to download ?

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
Which phone do you have? You could try flashing a pre-rooted stock ROM via Odin. Then use Odin to flash CWM.

Do you know if there is a step by step on this somewhere ? I dont mind going back to complete stock.. I can just re-root and flash CWM after.

OR

Maybe you could just answer the bigger question : the reason I want to go back to stock is I need to use MHL/HDMI which CM11 doesnt support. I dont want to go back to stock, I would rather even go to another ROM that supports mhl/hdmi.. but if I have to go to stock, than so be it.?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
Since you installed a custom recovery, that would have tripped the Knox counter which voids the warranty. It's not a problem if the phone is working properly.

Did you update to 4.3 or did it come with 4.3?

You may be better off installing a pre-rooted ROM.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

It was quite some time ago but I believe I was on ICS 4.0.. and switch to CM from there. Im not worried about the counter for warranty, that's expired on my unit anyways. I just want to be able to use MHL/HDMI function.. so if fine with flashing pre-rooted.. or stock.. or a different ROM that support MHL/HDMI. Can you recommend the easiest route ?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
It was quite some time ago but I believe I was on ICS 4.0.. and switch to CM from there. Im not worried about the counter for warranty, that's expired on my unit anyways. I just want to be able to use MHL/HDMI function.. so if fine with flashing pre-rooted.. or stock.. or a different ROM that support MHL/HDMI. Can you recommend the easiest route ?

I asked about 4.3 because the 4.3 bootloader cannot be downloaded. Flashing via mobile Odin will not touch the bootloader or modem.

You could try a pre-rooted rom and then flash a custom recovery via Odin.

I use Philz Touch from here: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2att

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
I asked about 4.3 because the 4.3 bootloader cannot be downloaded. Flashing via mobile Odin will not touch the bootloader or modem.

You could try a pre-rooted rom and then flash a custom recovery via Odin.

I use Philz Touch from here: http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/d2att

Ok thanks, I will do that. 1 thing I'm not quite sure of is the bootloader situation ? In the first tutorial there is a note : Flashing a prior bootloader can hard/soft brick your device. How do I know ?

I see the steps as:

• Extract tar file you downloaded.
  • Use Odin, put phone into download mode [with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
  • once in odin click the PDA field and select the tar file
  • Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
  • click start and when done let phone reboot.
  • If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

For my situation, is it just that easy ?

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
You mentioned your have the i747 and Rogers. Do you have the AT&T s3 (i747) or Rogers/Bell/Telus s3 (i747m)?

What is the most recent stock ROM you had on your phone?

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
Hey. I got the i747m. As for what was the last stock ROM I had, can't say. I know when I bought the phone it was ICS and I had received and update to jellybean.. But them went to cm10. The tutorial I followed told me had me back everything up, which I did. Have it in a file somewhere on my comp, would that tell me ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

Ariesdroid

May 18, 2012
Saskatune
ariesmusic.bandcamp.com
If you are flasjing back to stock you should flash back to the same baseband/bootloader that came stock on your phone.

I'm looking for a stock rooted zip for the sasktel i747m (MF1) that i can flash in CWM....I need to go back to stock to fix a data issue that ive encountered through flashing these new d2lte builds...

Does anyone know if a cwm flashable stock rooted rom exists for Sasktel's i747m with baseband MF1 ???I already have the Odin flashable stock rooted zip but don't have a laptop handy until tuesday....And im pretty sure i cant flash that zip in cwm recovery....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
If you are flasjing back to stock you should flash back to the same baseband/bootloader that came stock on your phone.

I'm looking for a stock rooted zip for the sasktel i747m (MF1) that i can flash in CWM....I need to go back to stock to fix a data issue that ive encountered through flashing these new d2lte builds...

Does anyone know if a cwm flashable stock rooted rom exists for Sasktel's i747m with baseband MF1 ???I already have the Odin flashable stock rooted zip but don't have a laptop handy until tuesday....And im pretty sure i cant flash that zip in cwm recovery....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I have not seen a stock mf1 ROM that can be flashed in CWM. You could use mobile Odin to flash back to stock and then flash Philz Touch via desktop Odin later.

robberrobbie

Apr 27, 2013
You mentioned your have the i747 and Rogers. Do you have the AT&T s3 (i747) or Rogers/Bell/Telus s3 (i747m)?

What is the most recent stock ROM you had on your phone?

Hey there Audit, Sorry to bother you again, I just dont know how to move forward from here and neeeeeed some help.

I have been reading for days and days have not found a straight answer for my issue and I dont want to just go ahead and start flashing when I dont know if its the right method ?

I dont know how to get back to stock from where I'm at, I dont know how to figure out what bootloader I have (you asked me)

I have found a couple links on XDA that I can follow, I'm just not sure if they apply to my situation ?

This is a pretty detailed response/tutorial, but I dont know if I can just go ahead with this or not ?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2186967

This is also very detailed: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
OK, so back to my question.. If I have the i747M and bought the phone with ICS.. does this help.?

If you are sure you have the Rogers i747m and you have never loaded a stock Rogers 4.3 ROM onto your phone, you could use desktop Odin to flash a pre-rooted 4.1.2 ROM from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426.

Flashing the pre-rooted 4.1.2 ROM will return the phone to completely stock, wipe out all installed apps and data, and you will have root. I do not recommend flashing the Rogers 4.3 pre-rooted ROM from the link.

Once you are able to boot into the phone and set things up, you can flash Philz Touch from Odin which will give you a custom recovery on a rooted stock 4.1.2 ROM.