[Q] Question about Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket SGH-I727

Search This thread

svvparakala

Mar 3, 2014
Hey there guys,

I'm a noob so I had to post here. Although I've already read the intro guides to installing ROM's. Right now running the CM 11 nightly on my skyrocket. I'm looking for a better rom that has kitkat and I came across the Hellkat/BlueLightning roms. I wanted to install blue lightning but I have a couple questions before I mess anything up (I've read that being fully informed and taking precautions is a must)

So I wanted to know, if I'm installing this rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2624875
Can I use the current recovery that I'm using? It's CWM v.6.0.3.7
I read that it's recommended to use a SELinux compatible recovery.
Someone in the thread said to use twrp 2.6.1 but I don't want to change from CWM to twrp.
So can I go ahead and install blue lightning? Do i absolutely HAVE to change to twrp? Or does the newest CWM for my phone work with installing the blue lightning build? (a link would be appreciated!)

Also, a question that I've always had, I don't have to install the first version of the rom right? I can just go ahead and install the zip of the latest build? That's what I've been doing, and when multiple updates come along, I install the latest build and not the builds in between. Can someone clarify this for me? I'm not doing something wrong right?

Thanks in advance for answering my lengthy question and helping me out.
Cheers :good:

Dec 17, 2013
Oklahoma City
Hey there guys,

I'm a noob so I had to post here. Although I've already read the intro guides to installing ROM's. Right now running the CM 11 nightly on my skyrocket. I'm looking for a better rom that has kitkat and I came across the Hellkat/BlueLightning roms. I wanted to install blue lightning but I have a couple questions before I mess anything up (I've read that being fully informed and taking precautions is a must)

So I wanted to know, if I'm installing this rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2624875
Can I use the current recovery that I'm using? It's CWM v.6.0.3.7
I read that it's recommended to use a SELinux compatible recovery.
Someone in the thread said to use twrp 2.6.1 but I don't want to change from CWM to twrp.
So can I go ahead and install blue lightning? Do i absolutely HAVE to change to twrp? Or does the newest CWM for my phone work with installing the blue lightning build? (a link would be appreciated!)

Also, a question that I've always had, I don't have to install the first version of the rom right? I can just go ahead and install the zip of the latest build? That's what I've been doing, and when multiple updates come along, I install the latest build and not the builds in between. Can someone clarify this for me? I'm not doing something wrong right?

Thanks in advance for answering my lengthy question and helping me out.
Cheers :good:

Poured your heart out I see.:p Ill try and clear things up. First of though, you can use either CWM or TWRP recovery's. I actually prefer CWM to. If you are installing Kit Kat though you do need CWM v6.0.3.7 or above! Also you need a Jellybean radio. As for the ROM I am running HellDevs Unofficial CM.11 Built using the Linaro toolchain, Works great! Also No you do not have to install the first versions, Just Wipe data, cache and dalvic. Use any version you want!:) Hope I helped if you have any more questions id be happy to help.

svvparakala

Mar 3, 2014
Thanks!

Poured your heart out I see.:p Ill try and clear things up. First of though, you can use either CWM or TWRP recovery's. I actually prefer CWM to. If you are installing Kit Kat though you do need CWM v6.0.3.7 or above! Also you need a Jellybean radio. As for the ROM I am running HellDevs Unofficial CM.11 Built using the Linaro toolchain, Works great! Also No you do not have to install the first versions, Just Wipe data, cache and dalvic. Use any version you want!:) Hope I helped if you have any more questions id be happy to help.

Ah, so it's not much different from when I was installing the CM 11. Thanks for the quick reply! :victory:

(P.S. how do you close a thread/mark it as answered?)

svvparakala

Mar 3, 2014
Md5 Checksum?

Anytime bub! I actually don't know how to close it.:p But leaving it up could help other people also.. Who have the same question.:confused:

Actually I do have another question I was hoping you might be able to help me out with. I've heard that MD5 checksum is an important step. I downloaded the blulightning build. But when I copied the md5 checksum they had on the goo page, it didn't match the one on the zip file, or the md5 file that i downloaded (if i click on the md5 number on goo) Is something wrong? Or am i messing something up here? :confused:

Can't post this as a reply to the blue lightning thread yet, still under 10 posts :silly:

Dec 17, 2013
Oklahoma City
Actually I do have another question I was hoping you might be able to help me out with. I've heard that MD5 checksum is an important step. I downloaded the blulightning build. But when I copied the md5 checksum they had on the goo page, it didn't match the one on the zip file, or the md5 file that i downloaded (if i click on the md5 number on goo) Is something wrong? Or am i messing something up here? :confused:

Can't post this as a reply to the blue lightning thread yet, still under 10 posts :silly:

I usually don't check it.:p You did it all wrong though.:p There's a few ways to check the MD5, either through busybox on the phone or a app on the computer. Don't worry I thought the same thing you did when I started.:p:laugh: But here's a great thread with more information! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17065076 Personally though if you are sure you download the file correctly you should be good. Also most the time if something is wrong CWM Will tell you and not even let you flash it. Check that thread though it could maybe clear some things up for you.:angel: