How to use USB Host without an HD Dock (Updated 11/7/12)

Search This thread

codenamefly21

Feb 18, 2012
Very nice setup. I may order one of these and and change one end cable to a female usb and take out all the usb sockets and put a battery in the case that way I could have a nice clean portable usb drive reader.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

The other day I had my usb hub plugged into my phone and the usb was off while the phone was booting up the status led came on for awhile and once the phone got past the motorola logo the light turned off. So this tells me the Bionic is able to output power through the micro usb port.

Reactions: silversonic1

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
For a while now I've wanted to be able to use my waterproof camera to take pictures, and use my phone to upload them to the web without needing to fire up a computer to do a transfer from the SD card to the phone. This thread inspired me to finally take the leap to work up an OTG adapter. I went on Amazon to buy the Y-cable and the little adapters, but found something better.
(Removed imaged to make reply smaller - silversonic1)
This (board won't let me post a link because I'm new) is a USB hub that connects a phone to one of the four downstream ports with a built-in micro USB connector cable. I ordered one up, suspecting that I could mod it to be an OTG adapter. I was right.

To do the mod, the first step is to pry the endcap off the micro USB connector and slide the cover back. This exposes the soldered wire connections. One side of the connector has three wires.

The other side has one wire and an empty solder pad.

Solder a jumper wire from the empty pad to the black wire on the other side.

Then slide the connector cover back over the connector, and press the endcap back into place. If necessary, you can secure the end cap with a drop of super glue.

Next, open the case of the hub. Mine pulled right open with only finger pressure. Use a small screwdriver to remove the circuit board. It is not held by anything other than a light press fit.

This is the back side of the circuit board.

This is the chip that runs the USB hub.

I googled the chip number and downloaded the data sheet, just to be sure there were no gotchas. There weren't any. The only modification is swapping the regular and the micro USB cables. It goes without saying that this requires a very fine soldering iron and a steady hand. Desolder both cables and reattach the micro USB cable on the Host end of the circuit board.

This lets your phone control the hub. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the Droid Bionic won't power the hub, so you need to hook up the other USB cable to the device side of the circuit board to provide power. Only hook up the power wires. Just cut the data wires short.

It would be easy to wire a battery to the hub either by connecting to the USB port cable, through the 5VDC power input jack, or by removing the jack and hard wiring directly to the circuit board.

To use the adapter, I plug my SD card reader into the hub, plug the power USB connector into my wall adapter (or car adapter), and plug the micro USB cable into the phone (in that order). The phone immediately loads the card as an attached storage device.

Enjoy,
Todd F.
Amazing work. I'll have to buy a couple of these and have my brother mod them for me.

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
Very nice setup. I may order one of these and and change one end cable to a female usb and take out all the usb sockets and put a battery in the case that way I could have a nice clean portable usb drive reader.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

The other day I had my usb hub plugged into my phone and the usb was off while the phone was booting up the status led came on for awhile and once the phone got past the motorola logo the light turned off. So this tells me the Bionic is able to output power through the micro usb port.
Mind posting a picture of it? If what you're saying is correct, there may be a way to patch the OS to make OTG work without being plugged in.

codenamefly21

Feb 18, 2012
Ok so i ran a test with a multimeter no voltage fluctuation through the micro usb port all the way through boot. I dont know what caused the led to light up but it may merit some more testing. The led was wired straight to the power and ground wires connected to the phone.

Dirtdawg57

Nov 7, 2012
Sorry to bring up and old thread but has anyone determined if this still applies to the ota ics update? I would just like to know before I spend money on it. Thanks!

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
Um, if you do this now you are not very bright. An OEM dock is like $12 now from Amazon... this was useful back when docks were $55 and even then you weren't saving much after you pieced it all together and shipping.

Reactions: Dirtdawg57

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
Um, if you do this now you are not very bright. An OEM dock is like $12 now from Amazon... this was useful back when docks were $55 and even then you weren't saving much after you pieced it all together and shipping.
The standard dock doesn't do USB. However, the HD dock does and is now $24 on Amazon, making my method obsolete for Bionic users. Still, other phones can still benefit from this method if they share in the Bionic's plight. I will revise my opening post to share this data.
PS. It still works on OTA ICS.

Dirtdawg57

Nov 7, 2012
The problem with the hd dock is does it force you into webtop mode? I haven't been able to get joy2touch to work in webtop mode. If you can use mirror mode does the usb ports still work? Thanks for the response!

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
The problem with the hd dock is does it force you into webtop mode? I haven't been able to get joy2touch to work in webtop mode. If you can use mirror mode does the usb ports still work? Thanks for the response!
I'm almost positive it doesn't force it. But if it does, I believe there is still an option to switch to mirror mode. As for the usb, I believe it works as long as you are docked. Just make sure to unmount any external storage before removing anything.
Nothing is certain for me right now, as my little brother has my dock in his room and is currently asleep. I cannot confirm at this time.

scottyd035ntknow

Dec 8, 2010
The standard dock doesn't do USB. However, the HD dock does and is now $24 on Amazon, making my method obsolete for Bionic users. Still, other phones can still benefit from this method if they share in the Bionic's plight. I will revise my opening post to share this data.
PS. It still works on OTA ICS.

Yeah I just ordered the standard dock. I might order the HD dock as a docking station for my desktop... or maybe not. I used the HDMI/USB out features on my Droid 3 HD dock exactly 0 times in the year I've had it.

Dirtdawg57

Nov 7, 2012
I'm almost positive it doesn't force it. But if it does, I believe there is still an option to switch to mirror mode. As for the usb, I believe it works as long as you are docked. Just make sure to unmount any external storage before removing anything.
Nothing is certain for me right now, as my little brother has my dock in his room and is currently asleep. I cannot confirm at this time.

Ok that would be alot nicer than messing around with a bunch of cords! If at some point you could confirm that there is a way to get to mirror mode on a tv with usb support also that would be great! I think I will hold off ordering the hd dock until I can get a confirmation because I can't find anything about mirror mode on the hd dock on the internet. No rush though thanks for your help!

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
Ok that would be alot nicer than messing around with a bunch of cords! If at some point you could confirm that there is a way to get to mirror mode on a tv with usb support also that would be great! I think I will hold off ordering the hd dock until I can get a confirmation because I can't find anything about mirror mode on the hd dock on the internet. No rush though thanks for your help!

Okay. Mirror mode is go, as well as USB. The phone prompted which mode to go to upon connection.

Dirtdawg57

Nov 7, 2012
Thank you so much for checking that for me! I have had such a hard time getting answers on anything. You are a great forum user man!

Last edited:

sfcascooter

Dec 15, 2011
Loving my HD Dock

You're welcome. I find that it's a key responsibility of an OP to look at all angles and not just assume things work.

Got a good deal from Amazon and I am loving the dock. Hoping to get another one for the office. I tied the home one into a kvm switch on my home computer -- love using the mouse and keyboard to reply to texts, etc. by just hitting the switch button on the KVM

jkensing

Mar 29, 2011
USB Tether

Does anyone know if you can tether an internet connection 4g/3g via USB from the doc to the computer. I'm assuming no because both I assume are live. I know they only advertise the USB connections for a mouse or keyboard.

silversonic1

Apr 26, 2008
Grove, OK
It's doubtful, but I will try to find time to test it.

Edit: It's not possible. Sorry. When in host mode, you can't use USB tethering. I have my phone docked right now and am connected to my PC, but neither side is recognizing the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkensing

jkensing

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks

It's doubtful, but I will try to find time to test it.

Edit: It's not possible. Sorry. When in host mode, you can't use USB tethering. I have my phone docked right now and am connected to my PC, but neither side is recognizing the other.

Thanks for checking. I didn't think it would but that was just a hunch. I have to say that the lapdock is really nice. It's a shame that it didn't take off any better. They were priced out of the market and I think that if moto could have got this into peoples hands to know what it's all about and priced it accordingly they could have sold a bunch of these.. I could have sold 10 of them so far. I would say $100 is the right price point from day 1.

codenamefly21

Feb 18, 2012
rechargeable battery powered usb host connector

I've been working on this forever partly because of laziness but also because I don't have much free time. This device uses an iphone battery with a stepup circuit to 5v wired to an on/off switch. I also built a charging circuit that takes a micro usb and has a red status light to show when charging and a green status light to show when its on. This unit will power any usb device including portable hard drives that only require power from the usb. Even though its been a long process it was fun making it. I built this to see if I could and also for my dad who would like to see picture from his wild game cam then and there at the camera copy it then wipe the SD card and put it back in.

Attachments

• 2013-01-01_10-35-35_203.jpg
    2013-01-01_10-35-35_203.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 84
  • 2013-01-01_10-35-20_789.jpg
    2013-01-01_10-35-20_789.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In light of the EOL status of the Bionic, this method may no longer be the most cost effective, as the HD dock is now $24 on Amazon, before shipping. Still, this is a cheap way to use usb devices away from a tv or monitor. Please keep all of this in mind before considering this option.

Many Bionic users have wondered if they could somehow use USB host without having to buy an expensive dock. Well, I have just finished testing a method that works. Now please note it's not the sleekest or most portable of methods. Still, it works.

Test Build - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/silversonic1/GEDC0056.jpg
    You may be wondering why I am using a Y USB cable. In my testing, I have come to the conclusion that Motorola intentionally crippled the phone's OTG functions. It appears that the host mode only works when TWO priorities are met. First, the phone MUST be receiving power. Second, a hub MUST be used. If either of these is not met, the OTG mode stays offline.
    Because this method requires extra power, you have to have a powered USB port nearby. Some USB power packs may put out enough power, but it's still uncertain. However, since my Scosche solar battery pack worked both for the Bionic alone and for this build, it could be possible that anything that works for the Bionic will work for the build as well. Also, I have no way of testing this in a car at the moment.
    Action Shot - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/silversonic1/GEDC0052-1.jpg
    In the action shot, I am testing a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer. I did run other tests and usb keyboards and mice will work. I used a wireless Targus mouse, as well as a wireless HP mouse and keyboard. They all worked. Sadly, that is the extent of my current HID tech at the moment.
    One thing I have observed in my tests is that you should have all of your rig connected before hooking it up to your phone. That includes external power. Not doing so could cause your hub to be recognized much more slowly, or not at all.

I would also like to note that although many hubs allow for AC/DC power adapters to be used, most hubs won't send power through the host port. That is why the Y cable is necessary. But don't worry! I believe that if you attach the power connector of the Y cable to one of the ports of your powered hub, this should give you all the power you need for the phone to charge and activate the OTG mode.

Here's what you need.
    USB hub with mini USB port for connecting to host device($5-$20)
    Y USB cable($4)
    USB Type A Female-USB Micro Male adapter($1-2)
    Build subtotal-$10-$26, before tax or shipping. Depending on what you already own, this could still be cheaper than an HD Dock.

All hubs with a mini usb host port should work for this build. But if there are any that don't, please give me the make and model info so I can add them to the list below.

Hubs Confirmed Unusable
    None so far

Thank you for looking this through. I hope it helps.

Update 11/7/12- Still works on the 246 OTA.
    Rechargeable battery powered usb hub with otg cable

Here is the finished hardware. I took pictures before i seal it all up so yall could see what all i did. The usb hub has a otg cable that plugs into your phone. It has a 950mah cell phone battery and the circuitry from an emergency charger that converts 2 aa batteries (3v) to 5v. Also on the circuitry was an led flashlight so i decided to keep it in there just in case :). The only problem was that the off switch that was on the circuit wouldn't shut off the power to the hub for some reason so i put a secondary switch on the power wire to the hub. I had a problem with the charger charging the battery because it charges the battery based on voltage and the capacitors were screwing that up so i put a diode on the power going into the up-scaling circuit board but not as to break the connection with the charger to battery wires.

For a while now I've wanted to be able to use my waterproof camera to take pictures, and use my phone to upload them to the web without needing to fire up a computer to do a transfer from the SD card to the phone. This thread inspired me to finally take the leap to work up an OTG adapter. I went on Amazon to buy the Y-cable and the little adapters, but found something better.

This (board won't let me post a link because I'm new) is a USB hub that connects a phone to one of the four downstream ports with a built-in micro USB connector cable. I ordered one up, suspecting that I could mod it to be an OTG adapter. I was right.

To do the mod, the first step is to pry the endcap off the micro USB connector and slide the cover back. This exposes the soldered wire connections. One side of the connector has three wires.
    connector%2520side%25201.jpg

The other side has one wire and an empty solder pad.
    connector%2520side%25202.jpg

Solder a jumper wire from the empty pad to the black wire on the other side.
    connector%2520with%2520jumper.jpg

Then slide the connector cover back over the connector, and press the endcap back into place. If necessary, you can secure the end cap with a drop of super glue.

Next, open the case of the hub. Mine pulled right open with only finger pressure. Use a small screwdriver to remove the circuit board. It is not held by anything other than a light press fit.
    opened%2520case.jpg

This is the back side of the circuit board.
    circuit%2520board%2520back.jpg

This is the chip that runs the USB hub.
    usb%2520hub%2520chip.jpg

I googled the chip number and downloaded the data sheet, just to be sure there were no gotchas. There weren't any. The only modification is swapping the regular and the micro USB cables. It goes without saying that this requires a very fine soldering iron and a steady hand. Desolder both cables and reattach the micro USB cable on the Host end of the circuit board.
    host%2520side.jpg

This lets your phone control the hub. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, the Droid Bionic won't power the hub, so you need to hook up the other USB cable to the device side of the circuit board to provide power. Only hook up the power wires. Just cut the data wires short.
    device%2520side.jpg

Then reinstall the circuit board into the case.
    reinstall%2520board.jpg

And press the cover back on.
    finished%2520adapter.jpg

It would be easy to wire a battery to the hub either by connecting to the USB port cable, through the 5VDC power input jack, or by removing the jack and hard wiring directly to the circuit board.

To use the adapter, I plug my SD card reader into the hub, plug the power USB connector into my wall adapter (or car adapter), and plug the micro USB cable into the phone (in that order). The phone immediately loads the card as an attached storage device.

Enjoy,
    Todd F.