[GUIDE] How To Root HBOOT 1.02/1.07 and gain S-OFF

Search This thread

dirkdigles

Nov 23, 2010
Chicago
Use the dev comman to unlock the bootloader from adb fastboot mode. Then download the .92 hboot, link is here somewhere, then try to install cwm recovery.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium

Ok managed to get HBOOT unlocked via HTCDev. Tried to install recovery per the guide, it appeared to install, but I can't boot into recovery - the phone just bootloops. Also, now when I'm booting into the OS, it bootloops after about 10 seconds into the lock screen... @#$%@#

Gonna see if I can somehow flash this .92 hboot...

EDIT: It failed the 0.92 hboot flash:

Code:
C:\miniadb_inc>fastboot flash zip PB31IMG-hboot-0.92.0000.zip
       sending 'zip' (2581 KB)... OKAY [  0.418s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 6.291s

Also tried erasing recovery before flashing recovery.img ... FAILED

Code:
C:\adb>fastboot erase recovery
            erasing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.002s

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Ok managed to get HBOOT unlocked via HTCDev. Tried to install recovery per the guide, it appeared to install, but I can't boot into recovery - the phone just bootloops. Also, now when I'm booting into the OS, it bootloops after about 10 seconds into the lock screen... @#$%@#

No offense to anyone, but how is going to .92 going to help? Not to mention you cant downgrade hboots unless your s-off, and the .92 hboot is not unlockable.

You need to get a working recovery on there, or do an ruu.

For recovery " fastboot erase recovery " then "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img ". Enter these one at a time using fastboot.

If that dosent work, do an ruu. Download this file http://dinc.does-it.net/Stock_Images/4.08.605.15/PB31IMG.zip, place it on your sdcard in no folders. Boot to hboot and wait a few secs, it should find the file amd prompt you to presd vol up to install. When done vol up to restart. Hopefully it will boot normally.

From there you can unlock the bootloader again by fastboot flashing the bin file they sent you the last time you unlocked. Then fastboot flash recovery and go from there.

Reactions: Beanerman

dirkdigles

Nov 23, 2010
Chicago
No offense to anyone, but how is going to .92 going to help? Not to mention you cant downgrade hboots unless your s-off, and the .92 hboot is not unlockable.

You need to get a working recovery on there, or do an ruu.

For recovery " fastboot erase recovery " then "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img ". Enter these one at a time using fastboot.

If that dosent work, do an ruu. Download this file http://dinc.does-it.net/Stock_Images/4.08.605.15/PB31IMG.zip, place it on your sdcard in no folders. Boot to hboot and wait a few secs, it should find the file amd prompt you to presd vol up to install. When done vol up to restart. Hopefully it will boot normally.

From there you can unlock the bootloader again by fastboot flashing the bin file they sent you the last time you unlocked. Then fastboot flash recovery and go from there.

Tried the RUU in your post. It loads in HBOOT and briefly gives the error "Wrong Zipped Image" and goes back to the HBOOT menu.

I reformatted the SD as FAT32 just to double check... also made sure to do an md5 check of the file. Still getting the "Wrong Zipped Image!" Note. I'm starting to think this phone has no hope.

... and now somehow recovery works. WTH. Ok continuing with guide...

Installed superuser. Bootlooping again. Surprise. Can't get back into recovery from HBOOT either.

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Tried the RUU in your post. It loads in HBOOT and briefly gives the error "Wrong Zipped Image" and goes back to the HBOOT menu.

I reformatted the SD as FAT32 just to double check... also made sure to do an md5 check of the file. Still getting the "Wrong Zipped Image!" Note. I'm starting to think this phone has no hope.

... and now somehow recovery works. WTH. Ok continuing with guide...

Installed superuser. Bootlooping again. Surprise. Can't get back into recovery from HBOOT either.

That is weird. Have you tried a different recovery, like twrp or amon ra? I would do a factory reset from hboot, and then try to flash one of those recoveries instead of cwm.

chris_m128

Sep 22, 2011
all of this still works perfectly on 1.07! except you need the newer version of the unrevoked-forever zip. Or you'll get the error code 6 when flashing in clockwork recovery

Linch89

Jul 11, 2011
Jacksonville
Correct it won't downgrade I'm back on froyo but hboot is the same as before. Everything else worked perfectly this is an extremely helpful guide

thejase

Jan 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
OnePlus 7T
I can use fastboot but I mean commands like fastboot flash and fastboot boot never worked for me. They should as I'm s-off but my conclusion is that the current boot loader doesn't allow fastboot to flash to a device.

I want it mainly to boot a boot.img without having to flash to the boot partition. Good for testing purposes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

This is a great point! Basically load it to memory to play with, without making a full write of the recovery partition.

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
Correct it won't downgrade I'm back on froyo but hboot is the same as before. Everything else worked perfectly this is an extremely helpful guide

You dont really need to downgrade hboot just the radio. You need to be on the froyo radio to get s-off using the unrevoked s-off patch. Once s-off you can downgrade the bootloader if desired by flashing a PB31IMG.

flipinfin

Dec 30, 2011

EDIT: It failed the 0.92 hboot flash:

Code:
C:\miniadb_inc>fastboot flash zip PB31IMG-hboot-0.92.0000.zip
       sending 'zip' (2581 KB)... OKAY [  0.418s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOzip header checking...
INFOzip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 99 unknown fail)
finished. total time: 6.291s

Also tried erasing recovery before flashing recovery.img ... FAILED

Code:
C:\adb>fastboot erase recovery
            erasing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.002s
You cant just flash a zip. You have to give fastboot specific command. Like fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img. Though i looked at the file your trying to flash you have to rename that file to pb31img then drag and drop to root of sdcard so bootloader can flash it.

flipinfin

Dec 30, 2011
I have the same problem. I did a factory reset and it looked like it was going to be stable, but then I started to actually use the phone and it is still doing the reboot thing.

I've also just noticed that although hboot is unlocked, I still have s-on. I ran through all the instructions step by step and everything completed successfully though.

I don't know what to do at this point. This phone has been a major pita to do this to! I've been trying to get it rooted since yesterday and I'm afraid of what to do next. I really have no idea where to go from here.

I should have just let the damn thing be. I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and it sure would be nice if I had a working phone with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit 1: Tried clearing cache & davlik, continues to reboot. Tried fixing permissions in recovery, still rebooting. Seems that If I do a factory reset, it's stable. Until I actually use the phone. As soon as I go through the initial prompts, it reboots. Sometimes in the middle of going through the prompts, sometimes afterwards.

Edit 2: Loaded the PB31IMG.zip file onto the SD card, loaded hboot, it saw it and had the blue bar along the side. Then it flashed something like "no image, wrong image" and then went back to the hboot screen. Loaded another PB31IMG.zip file that I had (Froyo-Stock-recvery_PB31IMG) on the SD card and had the same thing happen. Now when I load hboot and select the factory reset option, it loads the clockwordmod recovery 5.0.2.0 screen and sits there.

Edit 3: Tried going into safe mode to see what would happen. Got the initial setup screens. Pressed next, next, next, etc. then it rebooted. It stayed at unlock screen for a minute and then rebooted again. Then had the htc incredible white screen go into a reboot loop a couple times. Then it looked like it was going to boot fine, but it didn't. Out of ideas at the moment.

Edit 4: Just going through some saved postings and thought I'd try to manually push the recovery.img from unRevoked using the command "fastboot boot recovery.img". Nothing changed.

Edit 5: Followed the guide by scotty85 at http://androidforums.com/incredible...ow-unlock-downgrade-achieve-s-off-htcdev.html and found step I was missing. I now have hboot unlocked and s-off! However, I'm still on the newer hboot version (1.02.0000); should I try and downgrade that? Can I? And if so, how?

Edit 6: Since hboot is now unlocked and I have s-off, I decided to restore an image I made the other day with my old device that got replaced by this one. And of course, that was rebooting as well. So I loaded up a plain, fresh rom and that one is also rebooting.

I'm now convinced that I have bad hardware. I'm trying to un-root it and am not having much luck. I've gotten s-on now again and installed the default recovery. But I can't seem to get GB installed on it no matter what I try. I've tried the SD card way and the RUU, nothing is working.

Heck, right now my phone is stuck at the first htc incredible white screen. Not looking good.
I had a simular issue. Try this.

step 1 download this file http://dinc.does-it.net/Stock_Image...WWE_4.08.605.15-4.08.605.2_release_264040.zip

step 2 boot into recovery and mount usb and drag and drop the file then rename to update unmount.

step 3 apply update from sdcard and choose the file update.

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I had a simular issue. Try this.

step 1 download this file http://dinc.does-it.net/Stock_Image...WWE_4.08.605.15-4.08.605.2_release_264040.zip

step 2 boot into recovery and mount usb and drag and drop the file then rename to update unmount.

step 3 apply update from sdcard and choose the file update.

That file is for updating from 4.08.605.2 to 4.08.605.15, it is not an ruu, and will not work unless your stock.

If your s-off now all you need to do is flash cwm recovery, do a full wipe, and then flash a rom of your choosing. There is no need to downgrade hboot, or do anything else if your s-off.

If your having trouble with hboot finding PB31IMG files, reformat your sdcard fat32 and try again. Even if its already fat32, format it again.

Last edited:

flipinfin

Dec 30, 2011
That file is for updating from 4.08.605.2 to 4.08.605.15, it is not an ruu, and will not work unless your stock.

If your s-off now all you need to do is flash cwm recovery, do a full wipe, and then flash a rom of your choosing. There is no need to downgrade hboot, or do anything else if your s-off.

If your having trouble with hboot finding PB31IMG files, reformat your sdcard fat32 and try again. Even if its already fat32, format it again.
I thought that was a update because after i recovered my phone it said you have updated your phone to 4.08. etc with that file complete after bootup. MIght be the wrong file. i appologize. Though i semi bricked the phone. Alls i did was take the stock pbm31img from here and extracted the file and flashed recovery, boot and system through fastboot. then flashed that file through original recovery. I basically used my phone as a ginue pig

nycionx

Mar 5, 2013
Belgrade
following your guide, cmlusco, i got stuck on step 20. getting an error message: Installation aborted. saying there is an error in su.zip?? i dont understand..?

-- Installing: /sdcard/su.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/su.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted

any help is appreciated! :)

btw my phone is an HTC Legend HBOOT 1.02. I got it unlocked via htcdev site, i also used super tool v3 to unroot...worked somewhat.
then i did the stuff on this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290841 [RECOVERY][S-ON][S-OFF][Unlocked] Clockwork 5.0.2.0 and 5.0.2.8 for Htc legend

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
following your guide, cmlusco, i got stuck on step 20. getting an error message: Installation aborted. saying there is an error in su.zip?? i dont understand..?

-- Installing: /sdcard/su.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/su.zip
(Status 0)
Installation aborted

any help is appreciated! :)

btw my phone is an HTC Legend HBOOT 1.02. I got it unlocked via htcdev site, i also used super tool v3 to unroot...worked somewhat.
then i did the stuff on this link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290841 [RECOVERY][S-ON][S-OFF][Unlocked] Clockwork 5.0.2.0 and 5.0.2.8 for Htc legend

Have you tried redownloading the su file, it may have gotten corrupted during download or transfer to the phone. http://dinc.does-it.net/SuperUser/SuperUser_3.1.1.zip and here is the md5 so you can make sure its not corrupt. http://dinc.does-it.net/SuperUser/SuperUser_3.1.1.zip.md5

But it could be because its not technically fot your phone its for the incredible. Cwm site says status 0 refers to an incompatible update binary. They say to replace the binary with a compatible one and try again.

bluedevil493

Mar 8, 2013
I am having trouble at step 27. When I hit update on the su binary it goes through the process and its green until the last line where it says "gaining root access... fail! Any ideas on how to fix this or what I could try?

This is the full log when I check for updates in superuser:

Downloading manifest... okay
Parsing manifest... okay
latest version = 3.1.1
Checking installed version = 3.1.1
Unpacking sutools... okay!
Checking current install path... /system/bin/su
Downloading new binary... okay!
Gaining root access... fail

Also when I installed BusyBox I was not given a notification from SuperUser to allow or deny permission to BusyBox.

Last edited:

cmlusco

Nov 20, 2010
Michigan City, IN
I am having trouble at step 27. When I hit update on the su binary it goes through the process and its green until the last line where it says "gaining root access... fail! Any ideas on how to fix this or what I could try?

This is the full log when I check for updates in superuser:

Downloading manifest... okay
Parsing manifest... okay
latest version = 3.1.1
Checking installed version = 3.1.1
Unpacking sutools... okay!
Checking current install path... /system/bin/su
Downloading new binary... okay!
Gaining root access... fail

Also when I installed BusyBox I was not given a notification from SuperUser to allow or deny permission to BusyBox.

Try reflashing su again thru recovery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am in no way responsible if you turn your phone into an expensive brick. Unlocking bootloaders is technical, and can be hazardous to your devices health if you don’t understand what you are doing.

REQUIRED: ADB, fastboot, and all related drivers setup and working on your pc. If you do not have adb setup download this http://dinc.does-it.net/Guide_Root_New_Hboot/adb_fastboot.zip, and extract the files to some place like C:\adb and also download these required drivers http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install.

1. Head over to HTC Dev http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/.

2. Create a account or sign in (you must use your real email address).

3. Go to unlock bootloader.

4. Select “HTC DROID INCREDIBLE*”.

5. Follow the directions and install all the software provided and you will end up with a unlocked bootloader with s-on. Save a copy of the unlock_code.bin to your pc, so you have it after dooing the froyo ruu.

6. Enter FASTBOOT again on your phone.

7.Open the command prompt again on your pc to where adb.exe is. (ie. C:\android-sdk\platform-tools or C:\adb

8. Download this - CWM recovery 5.0.2.0 http://dinc.does-it.net/Guide_Root_New_Hboot/recovery.img, and place it in the same folder as fastboot (where you put unlock_code.bin ie. C:\adb).

9. For simplicity’s sake rename the above file to recovery.img if it doesn’t already save it as recovery.img.

10. In your command prompt navigate to the folder containing your fastboot files and recovery.img

11. Enter the following in the command prompt:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Code:

12. Once that completes navigate to recovery on your phone and press power to select it.

13. Once CWM recovery boots on your phone use the volume up and down to pick "Mounts and storage" press the trackball to select it.

14. Select "Mount usb storage".

15. Take this zip and drag it to the root of your SD card http://dinc.does-it.net/Guide_Root_New_Hboot/su.zip

16. On your phone press the trackball to unmount your usb storage.

17. Select go back.

18. Select install zip from SD card.

19. Choose zip from sd card.

20. Select the su.zip file we just downloaded and press the trackball to flash.

21. Reboot the phone.

22. Once your phone is booted go to the market and search "superuser".

23. Download and install superuser.

24. Search "busybox".

25. Use one of the busybox installers and install busybox (hit allow on the su notification).

26. Enter superuser app, press the menu button on your phone, select preferences, then scroll down to su-binary.

27. Hit update, and allow the prompt, if all the output is in green then you have full root congrats!!!.

For Those who wish to take it one step further and achieve s-off with unrevoked.
    This process will format your phone I recommend making a nandroid, and running a program like Titanium Backup along with MyBackup to backup all your apps/data, and sync your contacts to google before you go any further.

28. Reboot your phone, and enable usb debugging.

29. Place these 2 files, unzipped on the root of your SD card. Do not put them in a folder, just drop the files right to your card. http://dinc.does-it.net/Guide_Root_New_Hboot/flash_mtd.zip

30. Set your phone to charge only.

31. Open the command prompt on your PC and navigate to the same folder as your fastboot files in the step above for example: cd c:\android-sdk\platform-tools\ or C:\adb

32. Type the following into the command prompt pressing the enter key at the end of each line:
    Code:
    adb shell
    You should get a dollar sign $
    Code:
    su
    You should now get a pound sign #
    Code:
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/flash_image
    Code:
    /data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd0.img

33. Now set your phone to disk drive mode and place this zip on the root of your SD card (do not unzip) http://dinc.does-it.net/Stock_Images/3.26.605.1/PB31IMG.zip

34. Rename the above file to PB31IMG

35. Set your phone to charge only

36. At this step you have 2 options you can pull the battery of your phone and put it back in then hold volume down and pres power to enter the bootloader or you can go back to your command prompt and type the following:
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

37. When your bootloader is done loading press volume up to flash the PB31IMG.zip

38. Your phone will reboot the bootloader once during this process, don’t be alarmed just wait for it to finish, when done it will ask you to press volume up to restart the phone

39. When done remove the PB31IMG file from your sd card

40. Congratulations you are now back to stock 2.2 froyo

41. Put the unlock_code.bin file in the same folder with the fastboote.exe file if its not already there. Go to fastboot on the phone. Open a commant prompt to the folder where the files are.

42. Type the folowing:
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken unlock_code.bin
    Code:

43. Fastboot flash cwm recovery.img again.
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    Code.

44. Flash the su.zip file thru recovery.

45. Flash the unrevoked forever s-off patch thru recovery http://dinc.does-it.net/Guide_Root_New_Hboot/unrevoked-forever.zip

You should now be rooted and s-off. :)
    is there a reason why update hboot? any thing good come with it?

No reason to update and is reccomended that you dont. This is just for people who got an inc recently that came with the new hboot.
    Okay folks. here are links to some of the main files I have, Enjoy! Thanks to the Dev that brought this in the beginning.
    The file labeled "HTCdev.com Unlock Records or Procedures" has all the main stuff.

HTC Archives
    do you know if this method enables fastboot? I never could get fastboot working on my slcd Inc and I don't know if there is an eng hboot that works for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I believe it does. The new hboot is fastboot compatible, it is required to get the info for the unlock code. The 0.92 hboot is also fastboot compatible, i have always been able to use fastboot on it. Is that what you ment?