[Q] AT&T ROM on TMo but how to change Phone Model number?

Search This thread

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Hey guys, I successfully running Sky Note G2 Note 3 edition on my Tmobile phone. I chose this ROM because of it's Note 3 apps/abilities. (Not sure if any Tmobile ROMs can do that)

Anyway, with it being an AT&T ROM, my phone model shows up as an AT&T phone. Now I'm not bothered by this at all but I sure would like to get wifi calling and mobile hotspot back if possible. I heard you could do a build.prop edit? Any of you ever done it?

yamanetoshiro

Jun 8, 2013
Conway
Xiaomi Mi 8
Xiaomi Mi 9
Hey guys, I successfully running Sky Note G2 Note 3 edition on my Tmobile phone. I chose this ROM because of it's Note 3 apps/abilities. (Not sure if any Tmobile ROMs can do that)

Anyway, with it being an AT&T ROM, my phone model shows up as an AT&T phone. Now I'm not bothered by this at all but I sure would like to get wifi calling and mobile hotspot back if possible. I heard you could do a build.prop edit? Any of you ever done it?

I'm running the same rom. I've always edited the build.prop to change my phone model. You can use either a build.prop editor from the Play Store, or do it manually. I used ES File Explorer. I think the one you're wanting to change is "ro.product.model=Samsung SGH-I317". Search for that line in your build.prop file.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
I'm running the same rom. I've always edited the build.prop to change my phone model. You can use either a build.prop editor from the Play Store, or do it manually. I used ES File Explorer. I think the one you're wanting to change is "ro.product.model=Samsung SGH-I317". Search for that line in your build.prop file.

Will this let me get Tmobile apps? somehow? Like wifi calling and hotspot?

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Will this let me get Tmobile apps? somehow? Like wifi calling and hotspot?

Changing build.prop will do nothing to get WiFi calling into that ROM. The base ROM has to be a tmo stock based ROM DN3 is definitively NOT a tmo stock based ROM.

While I have not used DN3 I think hotspot is in it IIRC. Check out the settings in wireless and networks > more > regretting and portable hotspot. You might be able to get it to work from there.

Hastily spouted for your befuddlement

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Changing build.prop will do nothing to get WiFi calling into that ROM. The base ROM has to be a tmo stock based ROM DN3 is definitively NOT a tmo stock based ROM.

While I have not used DN3 I think hotspot is in it IIRC. Check out the settings in wireless and networks > more > regretting and portable hotspot. You might be able to get it to work from there.

Hmm I am getting attached to Sky Note Air lol, if DN3 doesn't have those Tmo apps then no point for me, unless DN offers other benefits that Sky Note Air G2 doesn't.

Any third party programs I can download to get tethering and or wifi calling?

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Hmm I am getting attached to Sky Note Air lol, if DN3 doesn't have those Tmo apps then no point for me, unless DN offers other benefits that Sky Note Air G2 doesn't.

Any third party programs I can download to get tethering and or wifi calling?

IIRC tethering is already there.

Wi-Fi calling on non T-Mobile firmware will *not* be the tmo Wi-Fi calling. Will not. Locked down. No chance. Not happening. Doesn't matter how many times the question is asked.

Best you can do is something like Skype, Tango, Hangouts etc. They are not T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling. I don't bother with it if it isn't the real thing.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
IIRC tethering is already there.

Wi-Fi calling on non T-Mobile firmware will *not* be the tmo Wi-Fi calling. Will not. Locked down. No chance. Not happening. Doesn't matter how many times the question is asked.

Best you can do is something like Skype, Tango, Hangouts etc. They are not T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling. I don't bother with it if it isn't the real thing.

Which ROM do you use? I'm really getting attached to Sky Note Air G2 but I wonder is there is a better ROM that has Note 3 features before I settle in and install all my apps

Coug76

Feb 27, 2011
East of Seattle
Which ROM do you use? I'm really getting attached to Sky Note Air G2 but I wonder is there is a better ROM that has Note 3 features before I settle in and install all my apps

Omni multiwindow mostly. Jedi X a day a week. I keep a Jedi nandroid up to date and on the SD card in case I need Wi-Fi calling or something similar.