Who to ask about closed thread?

Search This thread

tesla33

Jul 7, 2009
Hi everybody,

I wonder why a thread of mine was closed in one of the forums and I really have no idea what I did wrong and even who to ask what and why? (The thread is in the ROM development section of the Topaz forum, concerning cooked ROMs that support handwriting).

Are there seperate admins for each sub-forum and if yes, how can I find them? Or who else can I ask?

thanks & cheers

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
Hi everybody,

I wonder why a thread of mine was closed in one of the forums and I really have no idea what I did wrong and even who to ask what and why? (The thread is in the ROM development section of the Topaz forum, concerning cooked ROMs that support handwriting).

Are there seperate admins for each sub-forum and if yes, how can I find them? Or who else can I ask?

thanks & cheers

Any mod will do. You may have either posted warez, links to it/them, instructions on how to get them. Or simply posted in the wrong section altogether.

tesla33

Jul 7, 2009
Any mod will do. You may have either posted warez, links to it/them, instructions on how to get them. Or simply posted in the wrong section altogether.

Thank you for the quick reply. I understand the warez rules and all. But this question... in the ROM development section:
Is there any decent cooked ROM that either supports the official HTC handwriting update for the Topaz or even has it already integrated?

I just dont get it :confused:

Again, thanks for the reply

egzthunder1

Thank you for the quick reply. I understand the warez rules and all. But this question... in the ROM development section:

I just dont get it :confused:

Again, thanks for the reply

Maybe someone else asked something similar and you are getting penalized for not searching before posting. That is the only other thing that I can think of.

tesla33

Jul 7, 2009
oh dear, if thats the reason, I'm simply to stupid for this forum :( I searched and poured more than 8 hours yesterday over posts, especially the ROM post, which all have well over 2000 replies. So I know that people are asking about handwriting but the question usually just goes under in the ROM threads....

Nevermind, will post it in the admin question thread where it probably belongs. Owe you a coffee though, let me fix my paypal issues first :)

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
Hi tesla33,

Which thread? I'll have a look to see if there was a "closure" reason added. It's possible it may have inadvertently been closed during Spam cleanup by a mod that had multiple browser session/tabs open.

Cheers,

tesla33

Jul 7, 2009
Hi hilaireg,

thank you so much for looking into this. I'm feeling almost embarassed now for all the trouble but I was kinda intimidated:

The thread is:
thread

denco7

Apr 12, 2008
Houston, Texas
Hi hilaireg,

thank you so much for looking into this. I'm feeling almost embarassed now for all the trouble but I was kinda intimidated:

The thread is:
thread

More than likely it was closed because it has nothing to do with rom development. The rom development forum is not the place to ask for specific roms or features. It should have been asked in the general forum.

The Mod should have given you the courtesy of moving it for you or at the very least a short explanation. I have from day one, had a problem with the quick unexplained trigger finger of many mods on this forum. A little common courtesy would be nice.

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
@denco7:

Agreed. Going to "chalk" it up to an honest mistake made by the moderator who closed it (not me). ;)

@tesla33:

I've re-opened the thread and moved it to the General section. I see no reason why the question can't be asked . The Admins are working on the Search function of late to see about improving it ... cause at the moment, I've found needles in haystacks far sooner than answers.

:)

Last edited:

egzthunder1

oh dear, if thats the reason, I'm simply to stupid for this forum :( I searched and poured more than 8 hours yesterday over posts, especially the ROM post, which all have well over 2000 replies. So I know that people are asking about handwriting but the question usually just goes under in the ROM threads....

Nevermind, will post it in the admin question thread where it probably belongs. Owe you a coffee though, let me fix my paypal issues first :)

Looking forward to the coffee :D

As far as the searching, once you are in a thread that you think may have some relevant information for you, you will see a button that reads "Search This Thread". Simply put in your search parameters and choose to get "posts" for results. This will make it a lot simpler than going through 2000+ posts.

As far as the transcriber, there are cabs out there since lots of Chefs actually leave this option out due to lack of space in the rom. Let me know if you need help finding the cab.

denco7

Apr 12, 2008
Houston, Texas
@denco7:

Agreed. Going to "chalk" it up to an honest mistake made by the moderator who closed it (not me). ;)

@tesla33:

I've re-opened the thread and moved it to the General section. I see no reason why the question can't be asked . The Admins are working on the Search function of late to see about improving it ... cause at the moment, I've found needles in haystacks far sooner than answers.

:)

FYI, one of the more reasonable and nicer Mods around here.;)

tesla33

Jul 7, 2009
Thank you, thank you and thank you :)

Again, I'm not complaining. I was actually considering where to put it and thought "hhmm, I'm asking about custom ROMs wit a certain capability, so better put it in the ROMs sections" :)

I understand how incredibly difficult it is to maintain a forum of this size and activity (I was once a Diablo2 Battlenet Mod :D) and I appreciate the work you all put in there. I probably wouldnt have made this thread if it was my 400th post... after a while you get a feeling for where what goes and also for the search cloud and how to find stuff. But imagine if a newbie comes in here and wants to find out if his new Topaz is an ARM or a SH3 because he/she wants to download the Total Commander Beta... (ok, well maybe this is not the forum for people who dont know what hardware they are using)

I promise I'll behave in the future :eek:

Thank you again for sorting this out for me, very much appreciated

P.S.

Looking forward to the coffee :D
As far as the searching, once you are in a thread that you think may have some relevant information for you, you will see a button that reads "Search This Thread". Simply put in your search parameters and choose to get "posts" for results. This will make it a lot simpler than going through 2000+ posts.
Understood. But with threads this big, lets assume that somebody asks in Dutty's ROM thread if it supports handwriting on page 100 something. You cant be 100% sure that if the question was answered it contains the word "handwriting" again. So you do have to read to the nect 150 pages to see if somebody actually answered the question :) (Nobody did, I should know)

As far as the transcriber, there are cabs out there since lots of Chefs actually leave this option out due to lack of space in the rom. Let me know if you need help finding the cab.

The transcriber apps never seem to work as well as HTC own software. I did try some (calligrapher etc) but the results are less than I expected :(

Ok, I really shut up now

Last edited:

egzthunder1

Thank you, thank you and thank you :)

Again, I'm not complaining. I was actually considering where to put it and thought "hhmm, I'm asking about custom ROMs wit a certain capability, so better put it in the ROMs sections" :)

I understand how incredibly difficult it is to maintain a forum of this size and activity (I was once a Diablo2 Battlenet Mod :D) and I appreciate the work you all put in there. I probably wouldnt have made this thread if it was my 400th post... after a while you get a feeling for where what goes and also for the search cloud and how to find stuff. But imagine if a newbie comes in here and wants to find out if his new Topaz is an ARM or a SH3 because he/she wants to download the Total Commander Beta... (ok, well maybe this is not the forum for people who dont know what hardware they are using)

I promise I'll behave in the future :eek:

Thank you again for sorting this out for me, very much appreciated

P.S.

Understood. But with threads this big, lets assume that somebody asks in Dutty's ROM thread if it supports handwriting on page 100 something. You cant be 100% sure that if the question was answered it contains the word "handwriting" again. So you do have to read to the nect 150 pages to see if somebody actually answered the question :) (Nobody did, I should know)

The transcriber apps never seem to work as well as HTC own software. I did try some (calligrapher etc) but the results are less than I expected :(

Ok, I really shut up now

I am actually talking about the transcriber itself, not calligrapher or anything else.

tesla33

Jul 7, 2009
Good morning,

slight misunderstanding here because: dont ask me why but HTC did not include a transcriber in the Topaz ROMs :(