Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
Okay, well I have come to the conclusion that in this alpha,

No microphone
No video playback
No camera functionality
You have to complete a scroll, it dosent let you "fling" anything
There is an annoying red outlime occasionaly
Certain games dpnt work (only tried Draw Somthing)

Sent from my HTC Express using XDA Premium HD app

Yes, but it has cool menus :)

Don't worry. They will get there. Considering what an obscure device the View is, I'm just happy someone out there is acknowledging our existence.

Reactions: wyldkard

mumboender

Jun 18, 2007
Simi Valley, CA
OnePlus One
OnePlus 3
Yes, but it has cool menus :)

Don't worry. They will get there. Considering what an obscure device the View is, I'm just happy someone out there is acknowledging our existence.

It is remarkably good for a first run...can't wait to see how it develops. Probably the lack of video playback keeps it from being a daily driver rom. Makes me sad hearing how obscure this device is. It is such a good device. I am using a Galaxy Note right now and I keep going back to the view whenever possible. Don't know why it was such a fail it is the best note taking device I have ever used, the screen is bright, has great viewing angles and despite the single core, I don't feel its any slower than my note with CM9. Sucks that it never took off.

Reactions: geek wana-b

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
It is remarkably good for a first run...can't wait to see how it develops. Probably the lack of video playback keeps it from being a daily driver rom. Makes me sad hearing how obscure this device is. It is such a good device. I am using a Galaxy Note right now and I keep going back to the view whenever possible. Don't know why it was such a fail it is the best note taking device I have ever used, the screen is bright, has great viewing angles and despite the single core, I don't feel its any slower than my note with CM9. Sucks that it never took off.

I blame HTC. They could have had an amazing product with Notes and the stylus, but the app just feels half done. I can think of a half dozen major improvements right off the top of my head that would have been easily implemented and made it a far more popular device. Here are a few:

1. How about a button to activate the keyboard instead of touching the screen?
2. How disabling touch when writing with the pen?
3. How about disabling the hw buttons when writing with the pen?
4. How about a sliding width scale for the pen size?
5. How about making handwritten notes so they can't instantly be wiped out by accidentally hitting the trashcan?
6. How about having and option to turn off the automatic save?

If they had spent half the time on actual functionality instead of fancy menu animations (pretty but useless), they might have really had something here.

But like so many things, HTC has a tendency to release something by a deadline, ready or not, and then they just abandon it. Has there been even a single upgrade for the Notes app? People make these same suggestions all the time at the HTC Forums, but does HTC even try to implement a single one? No.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Hey OP, You might want to post the source code for at least the kernel. I believe it's one of XDA's rules(actually a GPL rule that XDA enforces). You dont have to post the code to the full rom but I think the GPL requires you to at least post the kernel source. If you notice all kernel threads have a source link. If this sub board had more traffic I'm sure a mod would say something about that. But since this place is a Ghost town things tend to slide around here :) I know a while back with the Dell Streak 7 the dev DJ_Steve didnt post his kernel source (he actually couldnt because of the source of his kernel source) and they actually shut his thread down and it made him pissed enough to leave XDA.. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1240676

Wouldnt want to see that happen here so figured I'd let you know

Here let me paste what the mods said about this issue:

"GPL is nothing to do with "xda's stupid rules". We simply enforce the requirements set out by the GPL. As a kernel developer, you more than most, should know that the source is required when you post a modified kernel, as you have done.

We don't "go picking" on anyone in particular. We deal with all devs who are in the same position, as we come across them."

"Big phones house such Samsung, Dell, HTC well for make it shortly, everyone that use Linux code in their Kernel devices, are forced to pubblic their source in compliant with GPL, rules so we are, i don't see the point why developers that use a big site like this think that they can skip this GLOBAL rule.

We didn't ask you who/where/when and how you did grab that source, we don't care about it, we only requested you to post the source even in a GITHUB form or a zip file uploaded in some anonymous server such Multiupload.

What dvelopers like you don't understand is that we aren't try to go angainst you, check the name of this site, XDA-Developers, this community was founded on developers, so we love and respect all your works but you MUST follow the line, GPL is not a thing that should be skipped and as The_scotsman said, as a kernel developer you must know this.

That's said, we are sorry that you have decided to leave us, seeing comments you are a good developer like all the majority here on XDA us but sometimes these such a things happens when you a trying to let people follow the rules.

Don't blame us for what is happened, Richard Stallman is the man to blame here and don't worry for this thread, as far as you will not try to advertise your new "home" this will be not closed and if in future you will change your idea you will be always welcome here."

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1240676

Last edited:

theorie

Jul 3, 2008
New York
Wow! thank you do much for your hard work OP. Really looking forward to this!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA

stoudamire

Sep 17, 2010
Munich
Just one suggestion: Might you add the version number and the build date to the thread title, pls? It will enable us to see quickly if there is a new version to test. Thanks.

theorie

Jul 3, 2008
New York
Just finished flashing the rom. Works great (except for the things people have already posted about). Nothing new to report from my install.

Looking forward to development on this ROM, let us know how we can help.

Thanks!

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
I saw the red square around the edges.
I think that's from compiling with an engineering build, if it's done with userdebug it shouldn't be there.

No microphone
No video playback
No camera functionality
You have to complete a scroll, it dosent let you "fling" anything
There is an annoying red outlime occasionaly
Certain games dpnt work (only tried Draw Somthing)
Not sure of what's the cause as we can't see any source, but some of those should be relatively easy fixes.

Microphone could be just the matter of the kernel or some missing files or settings in the build.

Camera, since the view is probably using same camhal sources, just try twistedumbrella's camerahal (every unofficial htc ICS AOSP rom is using it). Video recording could be a later priority if it doesn't work, but camera and videochat should be working 100%.

red outline is just a matter of building with userdebug, should be a simple fix.

Games not working on touch could be that unity bug, need to turn on legacy touchscreen option as a fix.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Great work overall, you got something that many of us couldn't do for days. I'd like to help out or contribute in any way I could if we are to perfect this build.
Do you have sources for your kernel? I'd really appreciate it if we could have a look.

Last edited:

yncconsulting

May 10, 2012
I just got a PM from the moderator that it has come to his attention that this thread will be close unless I upload the source to the kernel within 48 hours.

Now I will upload the kernel source code which I had every intention to do so as it's not that secretive, we just took the HC kernel source from htc and made some small modifications to fit htc view.

But I believed that our time was better spent to get things to work. Unfortunely some ppl don't even have the patients to wait a few days. As a developer, I personal benefited from the openess of the open source community. So sharing our changes is not an issue for me, but I really don't like it when we are doing a good thing and we get threats from ppl, this is very discouraging.

As a view owner myself, I started this project with the hope of reviving the love we had for this device as it has been abondand by HTC and the rest of the development community.

With that said, I hope you would understand that we're going to take few days off to tender to our hurt feelings.

Ps. the kernel source will be uploaded tonight.

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
Don't take it personally. No idea who reported you but it's not your fault. The mods are just strict and doing their jobs in the spirit of XDA, which is to follow and respect the Linux GPL, which wants kernels open sourced.

I got the same thing said to me before with some other devices where I forgot to upload my source. Saw it happen in other sections too.
Since then I've kept it sync'ed on github to keep everyone happy.

Anyways, I hope maybe we can get this working good. Is WiMax a concern for users here? I don't think it'll be working for awhile too.

yncconsulting

May 10, 2012
Don't take it personally. No idea who reported you but it's not your fault. The mods are just strict and doing their jobs in the spirit of XDA, which is to follow and respect the Linux GPL, which wants kernels open sourced.

I got the same thing said to me before with some other devices where I forgot to upload my source. Saw it happen in other sections too.
Since then I've kept it sync'ed on github to keep everyone happy.

Anyways, I hope maybe we can get this working good. Is WiMax a concern for users here? I don't think it'll be working for awhile too.

I understand all that, I guess it's just feel like getting stab in the back by the ppl you're trying to help. That's not pleasant and makes you want to stop helping. But I am serious about take a few days off, we have not been getting a lot sleep for the past few weeks getting this thing to work and we could really take some time off to clear our heads. Now that the source is out there, maybe by the time we come back it's already done =)

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
I understand completely. I took over a month off from my other projects just because of the feelings I got from the amount of work involved vs what I got back. It's not worth loosing sleep over, but I bet you were super relieved when it booted, I was still frustrated every TIME I couldn't get it to boot, lol! That feeling to keep going until it finally works.

I'm sure this was no easy task to accomplish. I couldn't figure out the view kernel for awhile and gave up. But hey, you managed to do something including cayniarb/Tiamat and other kernel devs didn't be able to accomplish. That's a major milestone, and it only means getting CG ROM perfected.

PS, are there one of you or more on this project? I saw you mentioned 'us' so it sounds like there's multiple people on your team.

yncconsulting

May 10, 2012
Me and my multiple personalities:)
Not going to sleep over this, was hoping to get some sleep. Btw the red border has nothing to do eng build.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA

freak4dell

Aug 10, 2008
Sorry to hear that they're giving you grief.

Take all the time off you need. No reason you should be slaving over a device when it's not your job to do so.

At least on the bright side, maybe someone can lend a helping hand once they see the source code, so that your work is reduced when you come back from your break.

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I understand all that, I guess it's just feel like getting stab in the back by the ppl you're trying to help. That's not pleasant and makes you want to stop helping. But I am serious about take a few days off, we have not been getting a lot sleep for the past few weeks getting this thing to work and we could really take some time off to clear our heads. Now that the source is out there, maybe by the time we come back it's already done =)

I doubt anyone reported you. Mods probably have some sort of code that searched for roms without kernel sources uploaded. There are so few people in the community I would be totally shocked if someone tried to screw up our chances to have ICS.

yncconsulting

May 10, 2012
I doubt anyone reported you. Mods probably have some sort of code that searched for roms without kernel sources uploaded. There are so few people in the community I would be totally shocked if someone tried to screw up our chances to have ICS.

This is the original wording from the mod

It was brought to my attention you are using a custom kernel in your ROM.
And it seems there are no kernelsources provided for it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am naming this ROM with my wife's initials CG as a token of appreciation for her support of my work on this project.

Also credit should be given to Chaosz-X, as part of our ROM was based on his work (mainly the vendor config files).

We have moved to RC release which means it's fairly stable and with most functionality supported. But it doesn't mean it's fully working there are still some bugs and some functionality unsupported see below section to see what is not working.

Also remember that this is not a ported rom it's build from scratch with official HTC HC kernel source modified to work with JB AOKP, so it's very stable but the progress is slower since the degree of difficulty is higher. So be patient.

Release Candidate 2.1 [8/23]
    Video coming soon...

Alpha 1.2 [7/19] http://youtu.be/ni0SivL4_ms
    Alpha 1.1 [7/2] http://youtu.be/jiY1yNPGR90
    Alpha [6/18] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk3rPVbvuAg
    Pre-alpha 2 [5/25] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA9IllruYZA
    Pre-alpha 1 [5/15] http://youtu.be/mW8qLrse4pc

You MUST be on HC or flash HC hboot before installing this rom

**********************************CURRENT CHANGE LOGS******************************
    Change log RC 2.3
    Bluetooth obviously
    wifi fix for hidden network.
    youtube HD video fix.
    Disable hw key
    Fling issue - thx to IAMCHUNKY and Dexter.
    Market/Play store compatibility issue - thx to Dexter.

Known issues

Front facing camera not working
    GPS signal is weak...
    Wimax (4G)
    VPN
    WIFI tethering
    USB OTG

Ok, here is the link to the ROM.

CG ROM RC 2.3

Also since this is a AOKP rom it doesn't contain google apps(google play...etc), please download and install the google apks here.

http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip

Patches - patch are zip file just like the rom and should be install just like how you would install the rom

This patch should be apply by all that is currently on 2.3 with weak GPS
    Patch for GPS fix

This patch should only be apply if you have phone UI (i.e if you only install 2.3 and not the tablet patch b4) and want WIFI only (it disable the 3g radio).
    Patch for phone UI and WIFI ONLY

This patch should only be apply if you have tablet UI (i.e if you applied the tablet patch b4) and want WIFI only (it disable the 3g radio).
    Patch for phone UI and WIFI ONLY

This patch should only be apply if you want tablet UI
    Patch to switch to tablet UI and 3G

The step is as follow
    1. Make a nanodroid back up!!!
    2. Wipe everything. (Data, cache, Dalvka....Please wipe before you complaint!)
    3. Copy the zip file into sdcard
    4. Install the zip from recovery.
    5. Enjoy.

Disclaimers: We're not responsible if you flash this and you brick your view (or your any other device)

Here is the link to the kernel source. Kernel Git
    Device/Vendor Git Device Git

Archive Change Logs

Change log RC 2.2
    Added Mic support for internal mic
    Added Camcorder function with back camera for now. Still no front camera.
    Added active pen support thanks to Dexter.
    Fixed issue with headset vs speaker switch issue
    Fixed Netflix streaming
    Fixed UMS(only internal sd card for now)
    Revert UI to phone style as default (Nexus 7 look and feel). Will provide a patch for those that want tablet look and feel.
    Fixed Gallery crashing issue.

Change log RC 2.1
    AOKP Jelly Bean
    GPS support
    Camera back only with preview (no camcorder function)
    Sound
    Touch screen
    Microphone with headset, internal is not working
    HWA (Video, netflix, ppstream, youtube)
    UMS
    Scroll and Fling issue resolved
    Pen
    3G

Change log RC 2.0
    GPS support
    Camera both front and back with preview
    Fixed squeezed button when menu button is added.
    Microphone with headset, internal is not working

Change log Alpha 1.2
    Netflix and other video stream player buffer issue.
    UMS support to mount internal and external sd on PC.
    Fixed issue with Chrome browser, also browser speed seems to have improved.
    Added support for 720p and 1080p video streaming.
    Lost camera support.

Change log Alpha 1.1
    Camera - partially working, preview is broken but takes pictures for both front and back camera.
    Multi-touch is fixed, pinch zoom works in browser.
    Pen - partially working, you can write and draw on Quill app.
    Fixed FC issue when selecting Theme under Settings
    Fixed FC issue when selecting Apps under Settings, this is the issue when you have apps installed on SD card.
    Fixed FC issue with Talk
    Switch launcher to Apex for smoother feel.

Change log Alpha 1.0
    Video playback for all apps - hardware decoding
    Fixed red boarder
    Swipe fling issue and scrolling issue. It's better than pre-alpha but sometime it could still pause
    Other minor tweaks.

Change log Pre-alpha
    Sound
    Wifi
    Touch screen

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    Last release

It's been a great 6+ months since I first started out on this ROM. It has been both fun and exhausting. I have been thinking about stepping away for a while now for those of you that follow my thread, I think now might be the best time as we have more dev/porters working on the device.

Now regarding the last release, here is what I have so far. I really hope to get FFC camera to work before I bid farewell, but that may not happen.

Android 4.1.2 based
    GPS much better signal
    UMS both sd card

Now the downside
    Occasional graphic glitches that happens on all 4.1.2 ROM ATM
    i think i am going to release 2.4 with cm9. thats ICS btw. the reason is that i dont think i can get anything else to work on jb. however on ics i think i can get camera and camcorder fully working.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    yncconsulting as you said about your to-do list can we see what is inside? ;)

Sure, There big ticket items which requires a lot of development and testing time and there are few minor issues which should take less time but could turn into big ticket items once I start looking into it.

Also remember that at this point the Rom is very functional and very stable. The next release will be RC1 and will not be call Alpha or Beta anymore. I think that the ROM at the current stage can satisfy most ppl's needs for daily driver. I hope to include microphone and maybe camera support as well as scrolling fix and squish button fix. At which point I will make a decision weather to continue with development as this has been taking a serious toll to my regular work and life for the past 2 months. I think I have delivery a lot in the short amount of time. So I hope you would understand if I were to take a break from this for while or even stop development as I am feeling a little burn out.

Big ticket items (The time that I have already spent on each item)
    Microphone (1 week)
    Camera, (2 weeks)
    Pen, (few days)
    Bluetooth, (2 weeks)
    3g (none)

Minor Items
    Scrolling issue, Squish buttons, battery improvement, Cpu OC...other bugs ppl brings up.