Galaxy S4 Active 4.4.2 Kitkat ROOT

Search This thread

rpuica79

May 2, 2012
CF-Auto-Root has nothing usable for i537. Can't find the model at all on Chainfire page, only i9295.
@Sunderwear isn't explicit about which S4Active his tutorial is made for.
By looking at the filenames to download in his OP the secret is revealed - i537

Please check and read some posts in thread. 2 posts above yours would be enough to understand.
i have i9295, dont know about i537.

CaptainBarcus

Jan 29, 2015
No Internet

Ok My OS is 4.3 Jelly Bean and I installed Towelroot via my laptop. I have my SIM card in there but I am getting no internet connection. Wi-Fi also will not turn on and it says I cannot root without Internet Access. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this? PLEASE OH PLEASE help, it would be greatly appreciated.

iBowToAndroid

Account currently disabled
Nov 9, 2010
Twin Cities MN
Ok My OS is 4.3 Jelly Bean and I installed Towelroot via my laptop. I have my SIM card in there but I am getting no internet connection. Wi-Fi also will not turn on and it says I cannot root without Internet Access. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this? PLEASE OH PLEASE help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Then you need to install a different version of TR. Internet is not needed

spilleGAL

Feb 1, 2015
Root KOT49H.I9295XXUCNK4

Does anyone know if it is possible to Root the newest build I recently recieved OTA KOT49H.I9295XXUCNK4 ?
I can't seem to find any guides for this build online. I wanted to test out the New Cyanogenmod 12.

Thanks in advance!

O-T

Sep 28, 2010
Does anyone know if it is possible to Root the newest build I recently recieved OTA KOT49H.I9295XXUCNK4 ?
I can't seem to find any guides for this build online. I wanted to test out the New Cyanogenmod 12.

Thanks in advance!
I rooted I9295XXUCNE4 using CF-Auto-Root for i9505 Android v4.4.2 successfully.
Latest CF-Auto-Root support KOT49H.I9295XXUCNH2 and that's same device and Android version as yours NK4.

Auto-root, TWRP and useful flashing advice here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=56955843

Aldebaran_i537

Jul 6, 2014
Touch not responding

Has anyone else lost touch controls when they install pwnedkitkat.zip through safestrap? I got through the install and then installed superuser and it booted into the OS but i had no touch controls, so i started from scratch and now when im installing it in safestrap it loses touch before i can even go to install superuser. Any ideas?

Hi,

I am having the same issue as you. I lose touch contrl as soon as I install recovery from safestrap. Did you manage to fix the problem?
(As for me, I went back to stock 4.3 but I lost sound and video capabilities, and I hate that...)

AFRICANwaterpark

Apr 20, 2015
I may have briked my phone!

You said that if it gets stuck at the at&t logo to factory reset well that didnt fix anything please help im thinking that i might be able to flash it back to 4.4.2 but im not sure.

You said that if it gets stuck at the at&t logo to factory reset well that didnt fix anything please help im thinking that i might be able to flash it back to 4.4.2 but im not sure.

I'm assuming you have the i537 and not the international i9295. If you have the i537, just flash the NE3 Odin package and you should be fine. When you root, just use Towelroot, this thread is outdated and shouldn't be used anymore. For future reference, always start with the i537 Reference Thread if you're going to root or flash any of the firmware with Odin. It's stickied so you have no excuse for not reading it.

kickass007

Apr 16, 2015
Hey awesome job here I salute you. :beer::beer:

Question... my friend has this phone but unlocked on carrier simple mobile and rooted. Running on jellybean, he wants to upgrade android version or downgrade to kitKat using your method. BUT the phone doesn't has a backup recovery installed so really would like some help with his situation. Thanks :thumbup::)

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

Hey awesome job here I salute you. :beer::beer:

Question... my friend has this phone but unlocked on carrier simple mobile and rooted. Running on jellybean, he wants to upgrade android version or downgrade to kitKat using your method. BUT the phone doesn't has a backup recovery installed so really would like some help with his situation. Thanks :thumbup::)

Sent from my SM-N910T using XDA Free mobile app

Start with the i537 Reference Thread. Also this thread should probably be locked since it has been superseded by Towelroot.

Reactions: kickass007

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. It's me again now this time I bring you root access to the new OTA KITKAT for our S4 :eek:

Disclaimer : I'm not responsible if your phone suddenly dies, explodes or your cat catches fire. Be warned.

SOME PEOPLE REPORT MOBILE DATA NOT WORKING AFTER THIS PROCESS SO ALL YOU GOTTA DO IS GO INTO YOUR APN SETTINGS MENU AND DO RESET TO DEFAULT SETTINGS AND WRITE YOUR CARRIERS APN SETTINGS AND IT WILL WORK.

This process has a lot of steps but if you follow them correctly you will end up with stock rooted 4.4.2 kitkat with super user and safestrap

Requirements:

If you already took the update and your system version is 4.4.2 keep reading.

1. Patience
    2. Pwned Kitkat OTA Update link
    3. Pwnedkernel for 4.3 Download
    4. System image from stock 4.3 Tar file Download
    5. Safestrap for the Galaxy S4 Active Download
    6. Stock 4.4 Kitkat Kernel Download
    7. Chainfire's SuperSu.zip Download

First after you finish downloading the stock 4.3 image extract it somewhere you remember and you'll see the following files:
    BL_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar
    AP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar
    CSC_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar
    CP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar

Put your phone in download mode and fire up odin. Under PDA select and flash

AP_I537UCUBML2_2244695_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar

This will downgrade your system back to 4.3 because yes the new kitkat bootloader allows you to flash 4.3 signed firmware. Note: YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE BOOTLOADER SO DONT ATTEMPT IT

Wait until odin finishes flashing the firmware and when the phone reboots itself put it again in download mode. Now you must flash pwnedkernel.tar.md5 selecting PDA again in ODIN and wait for phone to boot up. If your phone gets stuck in the ATT logo then perform a factory reset .

Once your phone boots up enable USB debugging mode and root it using saferoot or vroot. GOOGLE it and you'll find it...Then you must install safestrap.apk
    adb install safestrapactive.apk

Now copy pwnedkitkat.zip and update-Supersu.zip to your SD Card and once that's finished open up safestrap in your device and tap install when that's done tap reboot to recovery.

Now you'll be at the safestrap recovery screen so go ahead and select install zip file.
    IMPORTANT : DO NOT DELETE DATA/CACHE OR DO A FACTORY RESET BEFORE FLASHING THE KITKAT.ZIP OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE TO START ALL OVER AGAIN.

Install pwnedkitkat.zip and once it finishes go ahead and install update-supersu.zip to enable root access.

AND FINALLY VERY IMPORTANT YOU MUST FLASH THE 4.4.2 STOCK KERNEL IMAGE USING ODIN AND SELECTING PDA OTHERWISE YOUR PHONE WONT BOOT

Wait for your phone to reboot, open up superuser and disable knox security.

Enjoy your rooted 4.4.2 S4 Active.

Credits : hashcode for making safestrap possible and the other amazing developers at XDA that discovered these exploits in the past and special thanks to Samsung for "letting" open these loopholes

If you are in official 4.3 ML2 see my next post.
    If you're currently running 4.3 ML2 official update and you want to upgrade to 4.4.2 but dont want to lose root then keep reading.

In the following steps I'm assuming that you're currently running stock 4.3 Rooted ...see my other guide...and that you didn't modify any system apps otherwise the update will fail and you'll have to restore using the Odin package for 4.3.

1. Download pwnedkitkat.zip from 1st post.
    2. If you dont have safetrap installed then you must download it and install it.
    3. Copy pwnedkitat.zip and update-superuser.zip to your sdcard
    4. Restart your phone in safestrap recovery and install pwnedkitkat.zip and when it's done flashing install superuser.zip.
    WARNING : DO NOT PERFORM A FACTORY RESET BEFORE FLASHING THE ZIP. THIS IS A MODIFIED OFFICIAL UPDATE SO ONLY SYSTEM FILES WILL BE UPDATED. YOUR DATA WILL BE UNTOUCHED.

5.Put your phone in download mode and flash the 4.4.2 stock boot.tar.md5 kernel and your phone will boot after a few minutes with root access enabled.

Enjoy.
    Thank you! :)
    Can't wait. When is the ETA? estimate, 10 minutes?
    I just can't wait transforming my S4 to S5! :D

Edit: 40 minutes passed :)
    Now it is probably close to me. I can feel it!
    THANK YOOOOOOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Done writing a quick messy guide. If you have any questions let me know. Enjoy:laugh:
    @Sunderwear I have modded your pawned kitkat ota to include several features. 1 init.d support using modded init.qcom.post_boot.sh
    2. External Sd write capability by modding platform.xml. 3 Added set perms to su in updater. 4.Added LCD and Helvetica fonts to system/app from the Htc One. There is a few other things also,but brain is.going blank right now. Everything running perfect for me. If anyone has a problem during install with su perms ive attached the updater without those sets. I have not tested su set perms,as I booted before adding them. everything else works. Next I will give you fixed hub and IME these are proving to be tricky to fix. Stay Tuned!!!!!!

Links....
    Modded KitKat pawned ota
    http://d-h.st/77V

Original updater minus set perms for SU
    http://d-h.st/L5S

############################################################# Modded file only
    init.qcom.post_boot.sh modded to add init.d support/move to system/etc.Change it's permissions to 755/rwx-rx-rx
    http://d-h.st/dlJ

platform.xml modded to add write to external SD/move to system/etc/permissions. Change it's permissions to 755/rwx-rx-rx
    http://d-h.st/1Cq

When adding init.d folder to etc. Perms must be set to 755 for etc/init.d and whatever scripts you add to init.d folder.
    See below photo for proper perm set!
    Well, I was about to do the procedure in post 3 ( Because I am currently running on 4.3 ML2 Root) but I started to read a little more and found out about towelroot. So how do i go about this? Do I need the official 4.4.2 update,if so, how do i go from rooted 4.3 to official 4.4.2?
    Also, my phone has been pestering me about updating my firmware to the latest. Do I accept it? (Can I accept it?) Or can I just Flash the 4.4.2 and towel root it from there?

Since you're already rooted, you need to flash the entire ML2 firmware package with Odin. Once you're on stock ML2, you need to download the ML2 to NE3 OTA cfg file and rename it to "update.zip". Then you need to go into stock recovery on your phone and select apply update. Once all that is done, boot up your phone, go to towelroot.com in your phone's browser, download the apk and run it.

These are very basic instructions, but once you've completed this you will be on the latest stock firmware with root. If you have any other questions, read through the discussions on ML2 and NE3, all the answers are there, including exactly how to install everything. If you're looking for links to firmware and root methods, check the OP in the i537 Firmware Thread.