On nc5 now. Signal strength is much worse. Would flashing nab modem fix or break phon

Search This thread

micmars

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
Installed nc5 a couple hours ago. Has anyone figured out a fix or work around yet?

I think you can flash the engineering bootloader for NC5,and try either the MJ4 or NAB modem, may give you your speed back.

I'll link you if you need it.

Sorry to hear about this.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

oscarthegrouch

Jun 19, 2011
I am looking for mj4 and nab modems with the XDA app. I haven't found them yet. I'm thinking the app is acting up because I could have sworn I saw those baseband only posts previously.
Never mind, I found them. I was looking for freeza's posts and someone else posted them. I'll run for a day or two with nc5 modem and see how things perform before flashing other modems.
Weird, I just installed wanam xposed and rebooted, without changing anything and now the signal strength is much higher. I wonder if it's fake or real (the change)?

Last edited:

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
I am looking for mj4 and nab modems with the XDA app. I haven't found them yet. I'm thinking the app is acting up because I could have sworn I saw those baseband only posts previously.
Never mind, I found them. I was looking for freeza's posts and someone else posted them. I'll run for a day or two with nc5 modem and see how things perform before flashing other modems.
Weird, I just installed wanam xposed and rebooted, without changing anything and now the signal strength is much higher. I wonder if it's fake or real (the change)?

I think @LMMT posted two of them that you likely found.

There may be a lot of tower work going on in your area, and it could be coinciding with that which you're experiencing. Possible.

Two weeks ago I started pulling 28MB down at my desk, and 1/3 of that at home. On NC5, it's the opposite. Gotta be tower issues.

Last edited:

Phyzcal

Oct 20, 2013
Clearwater, FL
NC5 modem is terrible on my phone, I get 4 bars at McDill AFB (Tampa Bay!) but most calls won't go through, I constantly get a busy signal and inbound calls hit voice mail without ringing.
Restoring my old modem from NABD nand backup instantly fixes the problem so I don't think it's the towers.

micmars

May 1, 2013
Tampa Bay
NC5 modem is terrible on my phone, I get 4 bars at McDill AFB (Tampa Bay!) but most calls won't go through, I constantly get a busy signal and inbound calls hit voice mail without ringing.
Restoring my old modem from NABD nand backup instantly fixes the problem so I don't think it's the towers.

MacDill. Nice place...

As to the modem, I'm not too far from at least once per week, and it's terrific on NC5.

I'd definitely at least try engineering bootloader plus modem and see how you do.

mikemq2003

May 18, 2013
Tampa Bay
Yeah I'm just up the road in South Tampa near Plant high. My signal is horrible around here at home but if I move more north towards carrollwood speeds are 3x better. Sucks because im always on my phone and rely on mobile data a lot. :(

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

oscarthegrouch

Jun 19, 2011
I think @LMMT posted two of them that you likely found.

There may be a lot of tower work going on in your area, and it could be coinciding with that which you're experiencing. Possible.

Two weeks ago I started pulling 28MB down at my desk, and 1/3 of that at home. On NC5, it's the opposite. Gotta be tower issues.

This could be possible. I've been tempted, and did a few times, resort to 3g CDMA when mobile because 4g performance was much worse than 3g. With the upcoming throttling of data with busy cell sights next month, I wouldn't be surprised of anything.
With a blog reporting that anyone using over five gigs a month is considered a data hog, tl;dr my words, I think they are being ridiculous with who they consider are data hogs. I'm not inciting a data hog pissing war, but I use over 5 a month and I don't think I'm a top bandwidth hog on average. I couldn't use my phone if I was limited to two gigs a month like the other companies do for "average users". I'll consumer tmo if sprint takes away the "unlimited" plan just to play the be like the other carriers game. I've been with sprint for almost 20 years. I digress as usual.

Last edited:

Phyzcal

Oct 20, 2013
Clearwater, FL
Nc5 engineering boot loader did the trick, text messaging is nice and fast again and calls go through, thanks Micmars! (Running kitkatkiller v4 on stock nc5 kernel if that helps anyone)

So sprint is planning on throttling people now?.. That might force me to consider switching carriers if they decide to kill the only good thing they have going for them which of course is unlimited Unthrottled data..

I'm probably one of the data hogs ( Wifi hotshot is my only source of Internet. Why buy FiOS when I get 3mb/s downloads and only 70 ping when gaming on sprints network?? ) but I honestly refuse believe my usage is ruining the network experience for others. My wife streams Netflix all day over her hotshot and it doesn't effect me or other friends running off the same tower.

doubledragon5

Jun 29, 2011
Lewisville, Tx
Nc5 engineering boot loader did the trick, text messaging is nice and fast again and calls go through, thanks Micmars! (Running kitkatkiller v4 on stock nc5 kernel if that helps anyone)

So sprint is planning on throttling people now?.. That might force me to consider switching carriers if they decide to kill the only good thing they have going for them which of course is unlimited Unthrottled data..

I'm probably one of the data hogs ( Wifi hotshot is my only source of Internet. Why buy FiOS when I get 3mb/s downloads and only 70 ping when gaming on sprints network?? ) but I honestly refuse believe my usage is ruining the network experience for others. My wife streams Netflix all day over her hotshot and it doesn't effect me or other friends running off the same tower.

What is this NC5 engineering boot loader you speak of? I'm on Stock NC5 haven't rooted yet. I have all kinds of connection issues that you have complained about.. I want to give it a try, once I root my phone. What is the process of installing this boot loader once I'm rooted?