[TUTORIAL] How To Root the Sprint Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710)

Search This thread

amacnamedt

Jul 14, 2013
i followed the instructions to the t and now my device wont boot up anything i can do to restart the process?

rwilco12

😺 Recognised Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
i followed the instructions to the t and now my device wont boot up anything i can do to restart the process?

You probably flashed an incompatible kernel. Make sure that you know what build you're on and then flash the corresponding recommended kernel or stock kernel for the build you're on. After flashing a compatible kernel you should boot right up and you'll be rooted. :)

amacnamedt

Jul 14, 2013
You probably flashed an incompatible kernel. Make sure that you know what build you're on and then flash the corresponding recommended kernel or stock kernel for the build you're on. After flashing a compatible kernel you should boot right up and you'll be rooted. :)

whats funny is thats what i was doing and it seems to be booting, then i came back to edit my post and saw your quick response, thanks a lot, good site, still booting up now, have to see if it works :) fingers crossed

Edit: Still on startup screen showing Samsung galaxy s2 for about 10 minutes not sure what "normal" reboot time is

Edit: finally flashed the third kernal and it booted right up - Thanks

Last edited:

jackrabbit72380

Mar 10, 2011
Trenton
www.landsoftworks.host22.com
Side-Effects ◦This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count.
◦It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen. This is normal and can be fixed by flashing a stock kernel or running Triangle Away.
For instructions to clear the Odin count and remove the yellow triangle please go here.
Instructions 1.Open the One-Click.EXE kernel on your PC.
Once the One-Click.EXE file is opened you will be presented with a window that has a black title bar across the top, several empty boxes and a Start button. Leave the screen up but do nothing else here for now.
2.Reboot your phone into Download/Odin Mode by holding down the Power and Volume Down buttons.
3.When prompted press the Volume Up key to continue.
4.Plug your USB cord into your phone and then plug the other end of the cord into an available USB slot.
5.Once the phone is plugged in you should see one of the white boxes on the One-Click.Exe program turn yellow.
6.Press Start on the One-Click.exe program.
If the flash is successful your phone will now reboot. This will take slightly longer than usual, this is normal. Depending on the kernel you are flashing there may or may not be a boot animation, please be patient while your phone reboots.
7.After the phone has completely rebooted power off.
8.Hold down Power and Volume Up to boot into Recovery.
9.Scroll down to "wipe cache partition" and press power.
10.Scroll down to "Yes - Wipe Cache" and press power.
11.Scroll down to "advanced" and press power.
12.Scroll down to "Wipe Dalvik Cache" and press power.
13.Scroll down to "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache" and press power.
14.Scroll down to "+++++Go Back+++++" and press power.
15.Select either "choose zip from sdcard" or "choose zip from internal sdcard" (depending on where you've saved the SuperSU.zip).
16.Navigate to where the SuperSU ZIP is saved and select it.
17.Scroll down to "Yes - Install .zip" and press power.
18.Scroll down to "+++++Go Back+++++" and press power.
19.Verify "reboot system now" is highlighted and press power.
Congratulations you are now rooted! Enjoy!

I don't understand what I did wrong.

I made it to step 6 and odin3 exutionv1.81 has a red box says fail. my phone says downloading don't turn off target

I have sprint Samsung galaxy 2 on boost network.

your instruction is not clear enough for me I know nothing abot tthis stuff you say downloadoneclick exe but not specify witch one or wha tkernal to use.

and im going fro mthe tut on the website you posted can someone help I don't knw what to do

you link to one click but there was different versions do I just downloaded the latest one

exe Agat_GB27-v1.0.0.exe 7.29 MB 05/16/13 07:09:57
exe Agat_GB27-v1.1.0.exe 7.29 MB 05/16/13 07:10:01
exe Agat_GB27_v1.2.0.exe 7.86 MB 05/16/13 07:09:57
exe Agat_GB27_v1.3.0.exe 8.02 MB 05/16/13 07:06:47 <-- this one.

what have I done to my phone?

Last edited:

rwilco12

I made it to step 6 and odin3 exutionv1.81 has a red box says fail. my phone says downloading don't turn off target

your instruction is not clear enough for me I know nothing abot tthis stuff you say downloadoneclick exe but not specify witch one or wha tkernal to use.

and im going fro mthe tut on the website you posted can someone help I don't knw what to do

you link to one click but there was different versions do I just downloaded the latest one

If you followed the steps as directed then you've done nothing to your phone. You can restart it and you'll be running as if nothing had happened.

I am confused though. Did you try to flash the one-click through Odin? The one-click negates the need to use Odin...

jackrabbit72380

Mar 10, 2011
Trenton
If you followed the steps as directed then you've done nothing to your phone. You can restart it and you'll be running as if nothing had happened.

I am confused though. Did you try to flash the one-click through Odin? The one-click negates the need to use Odin...
idk I just wanted to update to android 4.2.2 that has everything working and then give it super user and root, and also make a back up of my original.
but im a total noob with android Iand I realy don't want to brick my brand new phone. because I have no warinty or anything
I just got the phone yesterday new running android 4.1.2 official Samsung, I realy hate the sprint boot logo to because its on boost network anyway.

maybe you can help/?

rwilco12

idk I just wanted to update to android 4.2.2 that has everything working and then give it super user and root, and also make a back up of my original.
but im a total noob with android Iand I realy don't want to brick my brand new phone. because I have no warinty or anything
I just got the phone yesterday new running android 4.1.2 official Samsung, I realy hate the sprint boot logo to because its on boost network anyway.

maybe you can help/?

I'm going to say this as nicely as possible but I think you should slow down. The E4GT is notorious for the ways it can be bricked. It's not a normal device and has a lot of little quirks. You should really read up a lot before even attempting root.

In this case you're dealing with three different issues. Currently the only available 4.2.2 ROM are AOSP based and have a few issues.

The other issues are root access and your ROM base. Both can be fixed easily by going to the Stock ROM Repo thread stickied in development and downloading the latest rooted Boost build and flashing it. Follow the instructions in post #2 on how to flash a one-click and you'll do fine.

Lastly, there is a really good thread for both reading and questions at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953783

Good luck!

jackrabbit72380

Mar 10, 2011
Trenton
I'm going to say this as nicely as possible but I think you should slow down. The E4GT is notorious for the ways it can be bricked. It's not a normal device and has a lot of little quirks. You should really read up a lot before even attempting root.

In this case you're dealing with three different issues. Currently the only available 4.2.2 ROM are AOSP based and have a few issues.

The other issues are root access and your ROM base. Both can be fixed easily by going to the Stock ROM Repo thread stickied in development and downloading the latest rooted Boost build and flashing it. Follow the instructions in post #2 on how to flash a one-click and you'll do fine.

Lastly, there is a really good thread for both reading and questions at: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1953783

Good luck!
Do you think that 4.2.2 rom will be officialy be avalible for the phone if I just wait.

rwilco12

Do you think that 4.2.2 rom will be officialy be avalible for the phone if I just wait.

Samsung has said 4.2 would be. That was a long time ago though... Due to bugs in 4.2 I believe that if we do get 4.2 they will probably go straight to 4.2.1. Beyond that I think we won't see many updates.

jackrabbit72380

Mar 10, 2011
Trenton
Samsung has said 4.2 would be. That was a long time ago though... Due to bugs in 4.2 I believe that if we do get 4.2 they will probably go straight to 4.2.1. Beyond that I think we won't see many updates.
I know this is probly rthe wrong section to ask but I seem to be having a problem with menu button on the left side the settings menu keeps poping up even when the phone is just sitting on the desk. I think the phone is defective. im thinking the touch is to sencitive or something is there a way I can disable that button?

rwilco12

This does not work for me. I use root checker after a seemingly successful root and it isnt rooted

Would you be able to provide us with some more detail? This method has worked for thousands of users multiple times. If you can provide us with detailed information we should be able to help you troubleshoot it.

Menacex911

Jul 29, 2013
Would you be able to provide us with some more detail? This method has worked for thousands of users multiple times. If you can provide us with detailed information we should be able to help you troubleshoot it.

All i know to say is that I have a Virgin Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II SPH-D710 and i tried the Jellybean because i am version 4.1.2, and like i said it seemed like it worked, but im not rooted. I dont know what other details i could miss because i dont know what im doing.

Poor Grammar

New at Root

help..hello..heeelllp..anyway if anybody can save me from rooting out..lol..anyway hello computer phone ppl,,im a noob and my thing is im new to this rooting.i bought a used sprint used s2 sph-d710..and it has this superuser icon thingy..i touch it and it shows....v3.1.3..su binary 3.0.3.2 (15) -rwxr-xr-x root shell /system/xbin/su..outdated binary notifaction..but when i try to update it wont gain root access..superuser denied superuser permissions..is this a easy fix i can get from google or some more research..tks p.s.also i used root checker basic it said,SORRY THIS DEVICE DOES NOT HAVE PROPER ROOT ACCESS..what to do..i need some sleep..

rwilco12

help..hello..heeelllp..anyway if anybody can save me from rooting out..lol..anyway hello computer phone ppl,,im a noob and my thing is im new to this rooting.i bought a used sprint used s2 sph-d710..and it has this superuser icon thingy..i touch it and it shows....v3.1.3..su binary 3.0.3.2 (15) -rwxr-xr-x root shell /system/xbin/su..outdated binary notifaction..but when i try to update it wont gain root access..superuser denied superuser permissions..is this a easy fix i can get from google or some more research..tks p.s.also i used root checker basic it said,SORRY THIS DEVICE DOES NOT HAVE PROPER ROOT ACCESS..what to do..i need some sleep..

Yep. Super easy fix. Just follow the steps in the OP. ;)

Reactions: erikalin

Poor Grammar

Sry.but what is op

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Somebody plse break it down easy..

rwilco12

Sry.but what is op

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Somebody plse break it down easy..

Sorry. Didn't realize you were that new.
OP = Opening Post (beginning post in the thread)

Honestly it can't be any more broken down or easy than it is in the OP.

If you're struggling with it I would recommend doing some more reading and research before you proceed. This device is very easy to brick and not knowing what you're doing can lead to an expensive paperweight in no time at all.

Reactions: Poor Grammar

scoot0073

Mar 27, 2010
Atl. Ga.
Google Pixel 3 XL
OnePlus 7T

Looks to me exe.Agat GB failed bc it's for Gingerbread . You have 4.1.2 Jellybean you should be using one that's for your version of Android.

Mine had 4.0.4 Icecream sandwich so I had to use the one for ICS.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rwilco12

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was recently asked to post some threads here on XDA with the tutorials I have on my site. As time permits I will be posting a series of threads here to the Q&A section that will hopefully answer most questions that might come up.

If you can't find your answer in one of my threads I would highly recommend BluesRulez One Stop FAQ Thread. It is an awesome resource and has answers to just about every question I've seen come up!

This thread details the process of how to root your device without having to flash a full stock ROM. This method works for the Sprint, Boost and Virgin Samsung Galaxy S2 (SPH-D710, SPH-D710BST and SPH-D710VMUB).

This method uses an Odin One-Click Kernel to install a kernel that includes a Custom Recovery. Once booted into the Custom Recovery you can then flash Superuser which will root your phone and give you Superuser access.

Prerequisites:
    • A PC running Windows with the Samsung Mobile Drivers Installed. The Samsung Mobile Drivers are available here.
    • Any One-Click Kernel (preferably from the Android version you will be using, i.e. GB, ICS or JB).
      All Sprint One-Click Recovery kernels can be found here.
      For this particular tutorial I used the following kernels:
    • Superuser (or SuperSU, MIUI Security, and etc) in a flashable zip, saved on your Internal or External SD Card.  For this method I used SuperSU v1.25 (but any SU in a flashable ZIP should work). You can download several different versions here.
    • Although not required it is recommended that you have Samsung Kies installed on your PC as well. You can download Samsung Kies here.

Side-Effects:
    • This method will trigger the Yellow Triangle upon start-up and will increase your Odin count.
    • It will also change your startup screen to look like the International GS2 startup screen.
      Both of these side-effects are very easy to overcome due to the hard work of Chainfire and Garwynn. You can get TriangleAway from Chainfire's thread here.
    For the rest of the tutorial please visit my site: www.rwilco12.com

Enjoy!
    Just updated the OP and instructions to help clarify a few things with rooting between GB, ICS and JB.

Enjoy!
    Success!

Thank you rwilco12, for the excellent instructions!
    I followed them line by line and my s2 is now rooted with no complications in the process.

Thanks!
    One of the quirkiest phones out there because of the kernel and Recovery combo.

ZkAaTbh.jpg

My ROM: WICKED X