I've long been a fan of earthbound's Samurai kernels, but recently I've been putting together my own kernel mostly for my own use. Since I've noticed he is busy with real life lately, I've decided to release my kernel since there seems to be demand for a kernel with voodoo sound/color for the CM7 nightlys. So without further ado I present KernelSandersCM.
Warning: Overclock at your own risk. Its not my fault if this causes you to die in an unfortunate pants fire!
- Forked directly from the CM7 kernel 'android_kernel_samsung_victory' for easy merging of their changes
- OC/UV (some from samurai.cm github, plus my changes)
- Clock rates for all clocks (armclock and others) have been fixed for all speeds.
- 60Hz screen
- Tuned some cpufreq governors (some earthbound, some IBM)
- Lagfree governor added
- V(R) i/o scheduler added and set as default (A benchmark and other sources say its the best)
- Voodoo Color (copied from samurai.cm github)
- Voodoo Sound (mostly copied from samurai.cm github, some minor changes)
- Kexec (from the CM7 kernel git, this is in nightly 12)
- zipalign user apps on boot, zipalign system apps on kernel install
- Tun/Tap, CIFS, FUSE built it
- In sync with CM7 official kernel
My plans with this kernel are to keep it fairly close to the cyanogen mod kernel so it simple to keep working with the nightlys. I will probably add a few more features as time permits, and I will consider any reasonable requests. When not using the overclocking features much, I have been having great battery life on this kernel, and I plan to try to keep it that way, if not improve it. I have no plans to include any gpu overclocking or screen rate changes since I see no effects from them other that reduced battery life, and I feel like I should leave that to earthbound since I am sure he put lots of work into getting it to work.
- Download the kernel (or compile your own if you're feeling adventurous)
- Get it on your sd card somehow (usb, adb, download from phone)
- Reboot to recovery (long press power, use rom manager, or 3-finger method)
- Clear cache and dalvik-cache
- Flash the zip
- Reboot (it will take a few minutes)
- Download Voodoo Control from the market if you need it.
What kernel works with what nightly?
(*) means untested, but it should work.
- 9: v1, v2*, v3*, v4*
- 10: v1, v2*, v3*, v4*
- 11: v1, v2, v3*, v4*
- 12: v1*, v2, v3*, v4*
- 13: v1*, v2, v3, v4*
- 14: v1*, v2, v3*, v4*
- 15: v1*, v2*, v3*, v4*
- 16: v1*, v2*, v3, v4*
- 20,21,22,23: v1*, v2*, v4*
- 25: v1*, v2*, v4,v5
- 45: v5
- Version 5
KernelSandersCM-v5.zip - 5.69 MB
- Version 4
KernelSandersCM-v4.zip - 5.7 MB
- Version 3 (bluetooth broken)
KernelSandersCM-v3.zip - 5.7 MB
- Version 2
KernelSandersCM-v2.zip - 5.5 MB
- Version 1
KernelSandersCM-v1.0.zip - 5.5 MB
GitHub - Watch commits here to see what's coming in the next version.
- The entire EpicCM team - These guys have been doing some amazing work and deserve a lot of thanks for making this phone relevant again.
- Earthbound[IAP] - Much thanks to him for all the hard work he puts into his Samurai kernels, which made several of this kernel's features much easier to implement.
- Supercurio - For creating Voodoo Sound/Color for Galaxy S phones.
- All the other epic people who helped make this phone so much better than samsung could.