[ROM][P6800][OnHold]Ubuntu-touch dev preview(18.03.2013)

Search This thread

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
I have put this project on hold for now. I flashed latest Austrian ICS build to my device and continue using it as my Kindle reader on my travels. IF somone manages to fix the two issues with kernel, send me a message and I'll continue working with the repository. But for now I'm not thinking nor touching the subject before Easter. Thank you for participating for now :)

I've started porting Ubuntu-touch dev-preview to the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (3g). If you do not understand it already, you flash this at your own risk. There is now also a Ubuntu-touch specific device page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices/p6800. I'll try to keep this thread and the Ubuntu devices page as close to each other as possible.

Big thanks to Daniel_hk for helping with boot.img :) Now It can be booted, but the screen is still black :(

Also, without working wifi and display, the preview is basically unusable... Next steps should be these:
1. Get wifi drivers working.
2. Get display drivers working.

Code:
root@localhost:/# uname -a
Linux localhost 3.0.15-CM-g1dc3074 #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 13 00:43:37 EET 2013 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Repositories:
Latest release tagged with: "v0.3", not tested!
https://github.com/dun1982/android_device_samsung_p6800
https://github.com/dun1982/android_kernel_samsung_p6800

Download

Installation
  1. Install CWM 6.0.2.8
  2. Wipe data/factory reset
  3. Wipe cache partition
  4. Flash cm-10.1-20130312-UNOFFICIAL-p6800.zip to device
  5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip to device
  6. Reboot

Starting to use
Then it gets interesting (Black sreen for now now :) Run the following commands in your desktop system:
Code:
adb root
adb shell
ubuntu_chroot shell
You should have now root access inside your tabled. Continue with this wiki next :)

What works
  • Ubuntu-touch dev-preview is flashable.
  • It boots!

Known Issues
  • Kernel is based to the CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210, but it is a mess. So forked it, took code here and there (mostly from locerra's JB build).
  • Kernel is based 3.0.15 and no newer one available (yet).
  • Most of the drivers in kernel had to be turned off, because build was not succeeding...
  • bluetooth: Doesn't work
  • audio: Dock audio doesn't work.
  • hwcomposer: HDMI dongle doesn't work.
  • wifi: Doesn't work.
  • camera: Doesn't work.
  • .. and lot of kernel level bugs for sure.
  • Displaydrivers are not working (yet).

Release notes
  • Version 0.2 (13.03.2013) - Now it boots, see release notes :)
  • Version 0.1 (07.03.2013) - Intial release, nothing works :(

Credits
  • BIG THANKS to daniel_hk for solving the boot.img problem for me.
  • Anyone who has worked previously with the device/kernel source.
  • locerra (for getting CM10.1 to flashable state).

Last edited:

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
Not 6810 versión?

AUs

I cannot test it for anything else. The kernel sources are from CM10.1 that was in use from locerra, so in theory it should work with i815 and with p6810 as well. But I cannot give you any guarantees...

And also before I get this build to even start with my device, I do not think that sharing image would help anyone. But if you are a developer, I would like to talk with you on issues that I might have missed or done wrong. So contact me :)

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
Not much. The generated image is missing /data/ubuntu completely and that is the reason why the image does not boot. I got also flu and fewer, so I have had not that much time after the weekend to look on the issues on that.

I'm also waiting if I get any answers from Ubuntu touch emailing list regarding the problem and where to look for answers, but my quess is that it has something to do with the devices fstab file...

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
Good news everyone!

Just got a very good answer the problem I had with the /data/ubuntu-folder missing from the image. There was no image provided for the actual Ubuntu at all by the build-process...

When I get home from work, I'll try to find time to look into the build process if I can include the actual Ubuntu image to the ready made image and then release it after I get my device to boot. But it seems that I got the right nudge forward for this now :highfive:

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
Ok, new version build from different repositories (thx, danile_hk for tip).

I'll test the new image this evening when I get back to home, and I have my fingers crossed that I can get the device to boot up and even display something useful. After that I can start looking for ubuntu developemnt :)

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
New version did not work, but then Daniel_hk gave me working boot.img. So now I need to find out what the heck is wrong with my repository and fix it so that I can get working boot.img from start and also the device configuration has issues. Both repositories are currently out of sync I'm afraid :(

Reactions: long6688

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
New version did not work, but then Daniel_hk gave me working boot.img. So now I need to find out what the heck is wrong with my repository and fix it so that I can get working boot.img from start and also the device configuration has issues. Both repositories are currently out of sync I'm afraid :(

Also, without working wifi and display, the preview is basically unusable... Next steps should be these:

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
It seems that I hit the wall (again) with the mentioned big issues.

For now, I keep some sabbatical from Ubuntu Touch things (ie. I flashed ICS Austria to my device) and use it as my Kindle reader again.

If by miracle I get more info regarding how to get the Kernel working with Ubuntu Touch, then by allmeans I continue working with this project. So far it just seems that making a working image, is out of my hands currently.

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
At least you had a go. Thanks for your efforts, and hope you might have another crack at it later on.

I'm feeling a little bit that way right now too, and put my ICS kernel on the back burner. I think I'm trying to multitask a little too much at times....

Yep, a break is what you need, maybe some clarity will come after you've had a chance to recharge. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Reactions: Diabl0z

dun1982

Apr 20, 2012
Any update on this development?

Not much, I have had no interest to spend time with this topic because I have been very busy IRL. After I get my new house renovated fully and get my job tasks done, I wont be spending much time with this project. Feel free to use any sources provided in this thread to further advance the subject.

But this wont go forward that much, if the GT-P6800 wont get official CM10.1 update...

Reactions: rezadentevil

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have put this project on hold for now. I flashed latest Austrian ICS build to my device and continue using it as my Kindle reader on my travels. IF somone manages to fix the two issues with kernel, send me a message and I'll continue working with the repository. But for now I'm not thinking nor touching the subject before Easter. Thank you for participating for now :)

I've started porting Ubuntu-touch dev-preview to the Galaxy Tab 7.7 (3g). If you do not understand it already, you flash this at your own risk. There is now also a Ubuntu-touch specific device page here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices/p6800. I'll try to keep this thread and the Ubuntu devices page as close to each other as possible.

Big thanks to Daniel_hk for helping with boot.img :) Now It can be booted, but the screen is still black :(

Code:
    root@localhost:/# uname -a
    Linux localhost 3.0.15-CM-g1dc3074 #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 13 00:43:37 EET 2013 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux

Repositories:
    Latest release tagged with: "v0.3", not tested!
    https://github.com/dun1982/android_device_samsung_p6800
    https://github.com/dun1982/android_kernel_samsung_p6800

Download

Installation
    1. Install CWM 6.0.2.8
    2. Wipe data/factory reset
    3. Wipe cache partition
    4. Flash cm-10.1-20130312-UNOFFICIAL-p6800.zip to device
    5. Flash quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip to device
    6. Reboot

Starting to use
    Then it gets interesting (Black sreen for now now :) Run the following commands in your desktop system:
    Code:
    adb root
    adb shell
    ubuntu_chroot shell
    You should have now root access inside your tabled. Continue with this wiki next :)

What works
    • Ubuntu-touch dev-preview is flashable.
    • It boots!

Known Issues
    • Kernel is based to the CyanogenMod/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210, but it is a mess. So forked it, took code here and there (mostly from locerra's JB build).
    • Kernel is based 3.0.15 and no newer one available (yet).
    • Most of the drivers in kernel had to be turned off, because build was not succeeding...
    • bluetooth: Doesn't work
    • audio: Dock audio doesn't work.
    • hwcomposer: HDMI dongle doesn't work.
    • wifi: Doesn't work.
    • camera: Doesn't work.
    • .. and lot of kernel level bugs for sure.
    • Displaydrivers are not working (yet).

Release notes
    • Version 0.2 (13.03.2013) - Now it boots, see release notes :)
    • Version 0.1 (07.03.2013) - Intial release, nothing works :(

Credits
    • BIG THANKS to daniel_hk for solving the boot.img problem for me.
    • Anyone who has worked previously with the device/kernel source.
    • locerra (for getting CM10.1 to flashable state).
    Ok, new version build from different repositories (thx, danile_hk for tip).

I'll test the new image this evening when I get back to home, and I have my fingers crossed that I can get the device to boot up and even display something useful. After that I can start looking for ubuntu developemnt :)
    It seems that I hit the wall (again) with the mentioned big issues.

For now, I keep some sabbatical from Ubuntu Touch things (ie. I flashed ICS Austria to my device) and use it as my Kindle reader again.

If by miracle I get more info regarding how to get the Kernel working with Ubuntu Touch, then by allmeans I continue working with this project. So far it just seems that making a working image, is out of my hands currently.
    Hmpf, still not booting. Now the /data/ubuntu logs are unmodified, which would point towards kernel or fstab-issue (ie. /data/ubuntu is never used...).