[GUIDE] Using I537 on T-Mobile and other AWS Networks

Search This thread

xs2k

Nov 12, 2008
No matter what I do, how many cables, laptop/desktop used...I still get "no phone"...

Any ideas?

Tried OEM LG/Samsung/HTC/ebay/amazon cables
Both windows 8 desktop/lapop

Dhex_

Oct 14, 2014
Does not work. My there is "No phone" message shown. :)

Allen Ros wrote in a youtube comment something that worked for me:
"To everyone not getting the (0) detection on QPST: I've stumbled upon a post on XDA forums and a fix for me that worked is -- 1) enter *#9090# on dialer, 2) CLICK on the #2 - DM/DUN over HSIC, 3) phone should reset; just connnect the cable back in and try QPST again. Hope this helps."

I also used the DM+MODEM+ADB setting at *#0808#

For the record, Im using a i537 with Android 4.4.2 on Framework NE3.. I used *#2263# and choosed LTE/WCDMA Mode Only afterwards for it to switch to 4G (H+) if 4Glte was not in range. Im in Ecuador's CNT network.

Last edited:

ojuniour

Feb 5, 2010
New Jersey
Everyone is having problems probably because the OP put the wrong url there it is suppose to be "fast.t-mobile.com" (not fast.tmobile.com) missing a dash. Good day!

billa

Mar 30, 2006
No matter what I do, how many cables, laptop/desktop used...I still get "no phone"...
Any ideas?
Tried OEM LG/Samsung/HTC/ebay/amazon cables
Both windows 8 desktop/lapop

Most likely you have a corrupted EFS.
To fix it you will need an identical phone, read out the EFS with any tool like QPST or EFS-Pro, then write it back into your non-working phone, reboot and test.

Everyone is having problems probably because the OP put the wrong url there it is suppose to be "fast.t-mobile.com" (not fast.tmobile.com) missing a dash. Good day!

Actually it works with both variations, I've tested them. :)

leahs4

Oct 19, 2018
This is a pretty old thread but 2018 posts. Do we still need to do this to use a i537 on t-mobile and AWS networks?
I already have a pile of stuff to do installing firmware and full Odin packages and all that multiple gigabytes of flashes.
I would think there's been some advancements in the past 5~6 years for more compatibility between GSM carriers yeah?

ojuniour

Feb 5, 2010
New Jersey
This is a pretty old thread but 2018 posts. Do we still need to do this to use a i537 on t-mobile and AWS networks?
I already have a pile of stuff to do installing firmware and full Odin packages and all that multiple gigabytes of flashes.
I would think there's been some advancements in the past 5~6 years for more compatibility between GSM carriers yeah?

most of the phones out there nowadays support quite alot of frequencies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I'm writing this guide for SGH-I537 (ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 Active) users who want to use their I537 on T-Mobile or other carriers that support AWS (Advanced Wireless Services; see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Wireless_Services).

Initially I got my I537 and heard conflicting reports of DIY SIM unlocking being successful, supposedly some people unable to get the AWS bands. So, I played it safe and got the device unlock code straight from ATT. Everything seemed to work at a cursory glance, got LTE and fast speeds, great! Little did I know that I actually did not have AWS unlocked.

In my room I get nearly no reception and rely on a repeater to get signal and be able to do basic things like SMS, make calls, etc. I noticed that for some reason the I537 was not picking it up.

ATT runs their LTE over some TMO HSPA frequencies (AWS) and the phone by default won't do HSPA on those frequencies. An AWS unlock will allow the phone to do either LTE or HSPA on these frequencies, thus allowing it to talk to my repeater.

I followed the guide at http://galaxys4root.com/galaxy-s4-t...aws-bands-on-att-galaxy-s4-sgh-i337sgh-i337m/ but instead used the UMMS code of *#0808#

It works on the latest stock, unrooted ROM. My device was already SIM unlocked but I don't think that will make a difference for this process. I believe that one would require SIM unlock regardless, though, to use another network.

This guide unfortunately depends on Windows specific tools, so I had to use a Windows machine to do this. It's a pretty easy guide -- basically you tell the phone to expose its modem over USB, use a Qualcomm program to talk to it, do a backup of the NVRAM, and NV Restore someone's I337 NVRAM that has the AWS enabled.

It works perfectly for me and has worked for others as well (see comments on that guide). The only difference is we have to dial *#0808#

You may want to add the T-Mobile LTE APN as well:

Code:
    Name : T-Mobile LTE
    APN: fast.tmobile.com
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 260
    APN Type: default,supl,admin,dun,mms

(From http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2236735)
    I would like to add that you should change the apn name to fast.tmobile.com (from epc.tmobile.com) that's how enabled 4g LTE in my city.

I would like to ask a 'stupid' question is there a way to enable 3g? It seems to be either edge or 4g/4gLTE for me, I've never seen my phone have a 3g icon.
    For T-Mobile it's not going to show 3G afaik, it will default to showing 4G for any 3G or HSPA 4G mode. If you have LTE enabled (any of the LTE modes) then it'll show the 4G with "LTE" under the bottom right side. I leave my GS4A on T-Mobile with WCDMA Preferred which seems to offer the best speeds and connections. While T-Mobile is still working on their system here in Vegas and making improvements, the LTE aspect is of no use to me and just allows me to burn up my 5GB that much faster. ;)

To change the modes you'll have to go into the *#*#4636#*#* menu and do it, again afaik. It's the least hassle free method I've found for myself so that's what I stick with.

And I've never changed the APN from epc to fast - it's worked since I did those same instructions to enable the AWS capability. I did change it one time but the speed tests ended up being effectively the same no matter which APN I used so I set it back to the default of epc.tmobile.com and have yet to have any issues.
    can't get it to work on my phone. After following the steps the phone doesn't detect sim card, mobile networks menu says "insert sim card to access network services". I can get there after another reboot however, but searching for mobile networks gives an error ("error while searching for networks"). Phone connection on com port also becomes unstable. Everything goes back to normal after restoring original .qcn. Tried it twice.

got the phone from amazon, "Factory Unlocked Phone International Version/Warranty Urban Grey", shows t-mobile logo during reboot.

This is for the i537 version only. You have an i9295.