[GUIDE][WIFI ONLY] How to Root the Xoom from Stock 3.1

Search This thread

Techitrucker

Dec 7, 2008
Ft Wayne IN
Didn't work on 3g Xoom

Tried twice. Even tried clearing things in advanced. No beans. Going to try the alternate method and I'll let you know.:eek:

publicanimal

Apr 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
Tried twice. Even tried clearing things in advanced. No beans. Going to try the alternate method and I'll let you know.:eek:

Thanks for trying it. You're in good hands with Bigrushdog's method, it's just a few more steps to follow. I was trying to simplify the rooting procedure for all Xooms, but I only have a WiFi Xoom to test on.

I've updated the OP and thread title to indicate that this guide is now only applicable for the WiFi only Xoom.

Reactions: Techitrucker

mdiorio

Aug 15, 2008
Do we have anything for rooting the Xoom 3g 3.1 yet? I've never rooted my Xoom, but now's as good a time as any I guess. I've already unlocked my boot loader. Just waiting on a root method.

I'll try anything just as long as I can recovery in case it doesn't work.

publicanimal

Apr 15, 2011
San Diego, CA
Do we have anything for rooting the Xoom 3g 3.1 yet? I've never rooted my Xoom, but now's as good a time as any I guess. I've already unlocked my boot loader. Just waiting on a root method.

I'll try anything just as long as I can recovery in case it doesn't work.

You can use this method:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1074609

It will require you to perform a factory reset but by the end of the procedure you will be on 3.1 with root.

takato23

Sep 18, 2010
hey, when i put "fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img" says <waiting for device>... and.. no more.

What could it be? i have fastboot.exe on tools folder, nexus s drivers installed, sdk..

hoopsdavis

Sep 25, 2008
Woodbridge, Va
hey, when i put "fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img" says <waiting for device>... and.. no more.

What could it be? i have fastboot.exe on tools folder, nexus s drivers installed, sdk..

do you have you xoom in fastboot mode?

It should say it in the upper left corner.
Try booting by holding down power + vol up, once the screen goes black switch to power + vol down. this should get you in to fastboot mode.

takato23

Sep 18, 2010
when i use "adb reboot bootloader", in top left corner says "Starting Fastboot protocol support."

Now, when i put fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img, says "error: cannot load..."

okay, ready.. it was my error. I didnt put the recovery.img on the right folder :p. Thx

hoopsdavis

Sep 25, 2008
Woodbridge, Va
when i use "adb reboot bootloader", in top left corner says "Starting Fastboot protocol support."

Now, when i put fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img, says "error: cannot load..."

okay, ready.. it was my error. I didnt put the recovery.img on the right folder :p. Thx

Very Good, so you're close to being rooted now?

I was doing all of this yesterday and got stuck that's how I knew what to tell you I spent most of the evening until about 1am trying to get my xoom from beinng stuck on the Motorola screen. finally worked it out by flashing back to stock, now I'm about to start working on getting rooted.

zyexx

Jan 4, 2009
Kingston
The file loads for me ok, but when I reboot into recovery all I see is the android sign and a exclamation sign. Tried reloading and renaming the file but still the same thing

lrs421

Sep 29, 2010
New York
The file loads for me ok, but when I reboot into recovery all I see is the android sign and a exclamation sign. Tried reloading and renaming the file but still the same thing

Try formatting your SDcard, fat32, and retrying.

Sent from Desire HD or Inspire 4G or whatever this thing is called via premium XDA app.

mdiorio

Aug 15, 2008
Thank you for the help. By combining the instructions in this post and the one mentioned on the last page, I got my system rooted in about 5 minutes. Verizon Xoom 3.1 3G fully rooted with busybox installed.

Thank you everyone for your hard work on this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+1]THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT USE THIS METHOD TO ROOT UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING 3.1.[/size]

I recommend using this root method courtesy of solarnz: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1242241

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

Follow these instructions after unlocking your Xoom to acquire root access on your Xoom. Comes in handy if you just installed the OTA and lost root.

[size=+1]DOWNLOAD:[/size]
    WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]
    • Pushes Superuser, su, and other root files. Sets correct permissions to enable functioning root
    • Enables external SD card storage (in /sdcard/external)
    • Prevents system from over-writing custom recovery
    • Enables USB On-The-Go

[size=+1]ASSUMPTIONS[/size]
    • You've unlocked your Xoom (this will wipe your data)
    • You've downloaded the WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip
    • You've downloaded a recent ClockworkMod recovery image to your PC: ClockworkMod Recovery (make sure to download the .img, not the .zip)
    • You've installed a physical SDCard in your Xoom (required for ClockworkMod Recovery updates) and have it functioning properly
    • You've configured the Android SDK on your PC, with adb functioning properly
    • You've downloaded fastboot and have it functioning properly (usually alongside adb in platform-tools)

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]

Read through this once before you do it. After performing step 2 you will have to do step 3 immediately or you will have to repeat step 2.

1. Prepare your SD Card
    Using an SD Card reader (or Android phone?), move the XOOM_RootTool_3.1.zip file from your PC to the root of your SD Card. Once that is done, install the SD Card into your Xoom. Alternately you can mount the SD Card through the Xoom in recovery after you boot into recovery in step 3 by selecting 'mounts and storage > mount USB storage'. It's always nice to have options.

2. Flash ClockworkMod recovery.img
    Connect the usb cable from your PC to your Xoom. Make sure USB Debugging is activated in the Application settings menu.
    • Connect the usb cable from your PC to your Xoom.
    • Open up your command prompt naviagate to the folder with adb, then (change 'XXXXXX-XXXX' in code to match filename):
      Code:
      adb reboot bootloader
      fastboot flash recovery recovery-solarnz-XXXXXX-XXXX.img
      fastboot reboot

3. "Catch the boot" to boot into recovery
    This requires some quick reflexes. As soon as you send the 'fastboot reboot' command in the previous step, your device will reboot. You have to boot into recovery right away or your Xoom will reflash the stock recovery over the custom recovery you just installed. Here's how to "catch the boot" and reboot into recovery.
    • When you see the Motorola logo appear, wait approximately 3 seconds.
    • Tap the Volume Down button. You should see the words "Android Recovery" appear at the top of the screen. Now tap the Volume Up button to boot into recovery.
    • If when attempting to "catch the boot" it says 'Starting Fastboot protocol support' then you hit Volume Down too soon. Hold Vol UP + Power to reboot and try again.

4. Flash WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip
    In ClockworkMod Recovery, select "install zip from sdcard"
    Select "choose zip from sdcard"
    Select "WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip"
    Select "Yes - Install WiFi_RootTool_3.1.zip"
    After install select "Reboot System Now"

5. Enjoy root!
    Im not an Android noob. Ill give this a shot.

Sent from Desire HD or Inspire 4G or whatever this thing is called via premium XDA app.
    Im not an Android noob. Ill give this a shot.

I just added the fact that you have to unlock first! I'll be adding those instructions to the OP right now.
    I have to ask. Has this been tested :)

I have to ask. Has this been tested :)

I tested in on my WiFi Xoom and it works perfectly.