FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[Q] Has ASUS put good GPS hardware in later batches of tablets?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By skypony, Junior Member on 21st April 2012, 04:23 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
It would make sense that they would update the faulty hardware when they found the problem. I'd still like a TP 201 but GPS is a necessity for aviation navigation. If the problem was fixed in later batches, I would buy one.

21st April 2012, 04:51 AM |#2  
Flag Tustin
Thanks Meter: 3,737

Donate to Me
More
Well, if GPS is a necessity... don't go for the TP... it's a fantastic device, but not intended to be used as a GPS device... it's a design fault more than a hardware fault... perhaps if the TP Infinity has GPS it would be better...
21st April 2012, 04:55 AM |#3  
Flag Alexandria, Va
Thanks Meter: 2,047

More
prime will work fine for navigating now that asus is giving away free external gps dongles..read my gps dongle test thread for more details

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1602789
The Following User Says Thank You to demandarin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift demandarin Ad-Free
21st April 2012, 05:38 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Is the dongle only for people who bought a TP before the GPS was removed from the specifications?

Would a person who bought a TP today get a dongle?
21st April 2012, 07:58 AM |#5  
Flag Alexandria, Va

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypony

Is the dongle only for people who bought a TP before the GPS was removed from the specifications?

Would a person who bought a TP today get a dongle?

yes..dependent on where you live though. most places can get them
21st April 2012, 08:58 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I bought a Prime 1.5 weeks ago. After rooting and apply the aGPS fix, my GPS works great. I haven't waited longer than 10 seconds for a lock. Maybe they did improve it.....
21st April 2012, 08:24 PM |#7  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I would not trust a non dedicated GPS system for aviation. That is just asking for trouble.
22nd April 2012, 03:21 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have a later TFP (C1 series) and my GPS is functional but not great.
The Asus TFP aluminum case (product design - good for appearance and sturdiness) imepeeds GPS and Wi-Fi in some cases.

I ordered the GPS dongle and anticipate this will bring GPS reception up to the level of my smartphone.
22nd April 2012, 03:31 PM |#9  
Flag Alexandria, Va

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabrat

I have a later TFP (C1 series) and my GPS is functional but not great.
The Asus TFP aluminum case (product design - good for appearance and sturdiness) imepeeds GPS and Wi-Fi in some cases.

I ordered the GPS dongle and anticipate this will bring GPS reception up to the level of my smartphone.

recent testings, including mines and other members, show prime gps dongle performing better than smartphone gps
22nd April 2012, 04:42 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Pilot here. Bought my prime to be an EFB. All the pilots I personally know that use a tablet for an EFB are apple freaks so they were my only point of reference before buying. I was told not to expect a tablet GPS to be that useful in the confines of a small aluminum cockpit. The GPS antenna really needs to be up on the dash which obviously would make the tablet a bit useless. The suggestion was to use a bluetooth GPS and set it up on the dash if I wanted georeference on the charts. However, none of these pilots bothered with that. Of course it did occur to me that these pilots were full of **** and trying to justify why they bought the cheaper ipad without 3g (and no GPS either) but I was not expecting any tablet gps to be great in the cockpit so I wasn't making my purchase decision based on that.

I'm of the mindset of not bothering with it. I have three panel mounted GPS units in the airplane. I really don't need another. It's easy enough to just swipe chart to the right location when I need the chart and I don't need to actually look at a chart very often at that.

So, I was dissapointed when I saw the the GPS in the prime is a no-go, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. That said, I put in for that new dongle... it's free afterall, may as well give it a try.
22nd April 2012, 06:21 PM |#11  
Flag Alexandria, Va

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Zulu

Pilot here. Bought my prime to be an EFB. All the pilots I personally know that use a tablet for an EFB are apple freaks so they were my only point of reference before buying. I was told not to expect a tablet GPS to be that useful in the confines of a small aluminum cockpit. The GPS antenna really needs to be up on the dash which obviously would make the tablet a bit useless. The suggestion was to use a bluetooth GPS and set it up on the dash if I wanted georeference on the charts. However, none of these pilots bothered with that. Of course it did occur to me that these pilots were full of **** and trying to justify why they bought the cheaper ipad without 3g (and no GPS either) but I was not expecting any tablet gps to be great in the cockpit so I wasn't making my purchase decision based on that.

I'm of the mindset of not bothering with it. I have three panel mounted GPS units in the airplane. I really don't need another. It's easy enough to just swipe chart to the right location when I need the chart and I don't need to actually look at a chart very often at that.

So, I was dissapointed when I saw the the GPS in the prime is a no-go, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. That said, I put in for that new dongle... it's free afterall, may as well give it a try.

please post back after you receive the dongle and test it on your flights. i bet you will be surprised as to how well and accurate the dongle performs.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)